• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2016

PtM

Banned
I'm getting Olli Olli for sure, even if I'm not very much much into score attack games for 1€ it's a steal. It would have been an even sweeter deal if it originally costed 10€, it's really annoying not to get 5 gold coins because of 1 cent :/
The music is SO good!

Ondore

I dunno, Curve titles were like, $2 Canadian in December and I can't fathom them dropping any lower. Or are you referring to the random first party stuff?

daydream

Banned
y'all would be in for a surprise if you were actually dependent on noe's release schedule and would thus pay some attention to who really gets shortchanged, lmao

i feel like i'm stepping into magical fairy land sometimes when this topic gets brought up

TheMoon

y'all would be in for a surprise if you were actually dependent on noe's release schedule and would thus pay some attention to who really gets shortchanged, lmao

i feel like i'm stepping into magical fairy land sometimes when this topic gets brought up

yea, this is all just "what have you done for me lately"-ism where everything from half a year ago and beyond is forgotten^^

This is where I point out how Rhythm Heaven Megamix came out a month ago in NA and we're waiting for three more months. (sorry for pouring salt in the wound, daydream!)

As I said many times before: one day NA gets something early, then PAL gets something early, then NA gets a good deal, then PAL gets a good deal. Tick-tock.

PtM

Banned
yea, this is all just "what have you done for me lately"-ism where everything from half a year ago and beyond is forgotten^^

This is where I point out how Rhythm Heaven Megamix came out a month ago in NA and we're waiting for three more months. (sorry for pouring salt in the wound, daydream!)

As I said many times before: one day NA gets something early, then PAL gets something early, then NA gets a good deal, then PAL gets a good deal. Tick-tock.

Still waiting for Kawashima's Concentration Training.

RedColumn

Another update. 3Souls in coming in the end in America at the same time than Europe:

EUROPE
3Souls - Episode 1 (Red Column | €3.60 | £3.20) Upcoming 07/28

AMERICAS
3Souls - Episode 1 (Red Column | $3.90) Upcoming 07/28

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yo, US getting a decent amount of VC stuff tomorrow:

- Final Fight (SNES, N3DS)
- New Adventure Island (TG-16, Wii U)
- R-Type (TG-16, Wii U)
- Bonk's Adventure (TG-16, Wii U)

Guess this means TurboGrafx-16 support on Wii U in the US?

TheMoon

Yo, US getting a decent amount of VC stuff tomorrow:

- Final Fight (SNES, N3DS)
- New Adventure Island (TG-16, Wii U)
- R-Type (SNES, Wii U)
- Bonk's Adventure (TG-16, Wii U)

Guess this means TurboGrafx-16 support on Wii U in the US?

There was no game called R-Type on the SNES. This is the TG-16 version.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My bad. My mind was thinking of Super R-Type.

....but yes, that pretty much cements the fact the US will finally get TG-16 games on Wii U. Wonder what the cost will be to "upgrade" games. I recall TG-16 games varied in points, from 600 to 900, which seems to be the case here. Bonk & NAI are both $6, while R-Type is $8, which is consistent with how much they cost on the Wii Shop.

TheMoon

Now, Konami. Rondo of Blood. Do it.

I have it on Wii VC but haven't played it. Would gladly upgrade for proper Off-TV and screenshot support.

Shiggy

Yes, OlliOlli is cross-buy. Haven't found it to be an analog-stick killer, no.

Also, anyone who likes good games and doesn't buy all of those Curve games that are on sale for 1€ is a crazy person.

They are a MUST at that price.

I wish there were more Curve games on 3DS. Hydroventure/Fluidity is another must, even if not discounted.

Javier

Posted this on TG-16 announcement thread but also putting it here:

For the record, here's a complete list of TG-16 titles that got released in the NA Wii VC and should give us an idea of what to expect. All titles were published originally by Hudson Soft (which are now Konami titles) unless otherwise noted. Only differences between NA and EU regions is that EU never got two specific titles (noted below) and one title that got delisted in NA but not EU (also noted below).

Bomberman '93
Bonk's Adventure
Super Star Soldier
Victory Run
Alien Crush
Military Madness
R-Type (Temporarily delisted on Wii VC but currently available)
Dungeon Explorer
Soldier Blade
Moto Roader
Vigilante (Published by Irem, temporarily delisted on Wii VC but currently available)
New Adventure Island
Chew Man Fu
Double Dungeons
Splatterhouse (Published by Bandai Namco)
Dragon's Curse
Bravoman (Published by Bandai Namco, not released on EU Wii VC)
Bonk's Revenge
Battle Lode Runner
Shockman
Ordyne (Published by Bandai Namco, not released on EU Wii VC)
Ninja Spirit (Published by Irem, temporarily delisted on Wii VC but currently available)
Blazing Lazers
J.J. & Jeff
Dead Moon (Published by Natsume)
Bloody Wolf (Published by G-Mode. Fully delisted on Wii VC)
World Sports Competition
China Warrior
Dragon Spirit (Published by Bandai Namco)
Air Zonk
Silent Debuggers (Published by G-Mode. Fully delisted on Wii VC)
Devil's Crush
Drop Off (Published by G-Mode. Fully delisted on Wii VC)
Galaga '90 (Published by Bandai Namco)
Cratermaze
Neutopia
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Neutopia II
World Class Baseball
Legend of Hero Tonma (Published by Irem, temporarily delisted on Wii VC but currently available)
Gate of Thunder
Samurai Ghost (Published by Bandai Namco)
Power Golf
Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise
The Dynastic Hero
Monster Lair
Riot Zone
Lords of Thunder
Psychosis (Published by Naxat Soft)
Chase H.Q. (Published by Taito. Should now belong to Square-Enix)
Break In (Published by Naxat Soft)
Star Parodier (Delisted entirely on NA Wii VC but still available in EU Wii VC)
Ys Book I & II (Published by Nihom Falcom)
Cho Aniki
Final Soldier
Digital Champ: Battle Boxing (Published by Naxat Soft)
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (Published by Konami)
Bomberman '94
Detana!! TwinBee (Published by Konami)
SimEarth: The Living Planet
Fighting Street (Published by Capcom)
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (Published by Capcom)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (Published by Konami)

sheaaaa

Awesome news about TG-16. I missed that console out entirely (not sure we even got it here in Singapore and I was a kid), but I played a couple of its games on the Wii VC years ago and have fond memories.

Would love to see a proper rundown of all that's worthwhile to play on it, assuming everything eventually gets released on Wii U/NX VC. And also assuming emulation is perfect.

MANUELF

Banned

They should be happy, they are getting a physical version

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Monster Hunter Generations – On July 15, get ready to hunt monsters in style with Monster Hunter Generations, exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems! Featuring four unique Hunting Styles, special Hunter Arts abilities and more, this is the most customizable Monster Hunter experience to date. Click here to see the trailer.
7th Dragon III Code: VFD – Fight dragons and experience the long-awaited series making its way out of Japan for the first time. Travel through three different eras with your team of dragon hunters and experience turn-based, dungeon-crawling RPG action. Click here to see the trailer.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U

Tumblestone – Tumblestone transforms the action-puzzle genre into a deep and cerebral puzzle-solving experience. Race your friends in both local and online multiplayer, or challenge yourself in the story mode or infinite arcade modes. Click here to see the trailer.

Virtual Console on Wii U

Bonk’s Adventure – An old-school side-scrolling TurboGrafx-16 action game is now on the Wii U console. Gameplay is simple: Just head butt your enemies as you progress through each stage. Try to keep Bonk from losing any lives while attacking enemies and avoiding hazardous obstacles.
New Adventure Island – In this TurboGrafx-16 adventure, Master Higgins must set out to rescue children and his beloved Tina. Throw hatchets and boomerangs, hop on skateboards and guide Master Higgins safely to the goal in each area.
R-TYPE – This is a completely faithful port – right down to the character details – of the famous shooting-game masterpiece. Destroy the POW armor and one of six different units will appear, which you can then use to power up your R-9 ship to get ready for the epic bosses at the end of each stage.
Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS

Final Fight – Fight your way through the slums and subway systems of Metro City in this beat-’em-up arcade classic and first chapter of the Final Fight series. Play as Haggar or Cody, and help them rescue the beautiful Jessica from the vile Mad Gear Gang.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

OlliOlli (Nintendo 3DS and Wii U), Nova-111 and more games from Curve Digital are on sale starting at 9 a.m. PT on July 15 until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 22.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is 50 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $7.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 21.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Legend of Dark Witch 2, Quell Memento and more games from CIRCLE Ent. are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 4.
Azure Striker GUNVOLT is 33 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 31.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:
Monster Hunter Generations Felynes
Monster Hunter Generations Glavenus
Monster Hunter Generations Gammoth
Monster Hunter Generations Standard Theme
Monster Hunter Generations Astalos
Monster Hunter Generations Mizutsune

Also new this week:

Journey to Kreisia (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Chroma Blast (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
JACKPOT 777 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Reptilian Rebellion (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

HotHamBoy

Why does Nintendo always have such shit sales?

We just got three straight weeks of wallet-busting discounts on hundreds of games on PSN in both the US and EU and Nintendo piddles out this shit, again.

maxcriden

We just got three straight weeks of wallet-busting discounts on hundreds of games on PSN in both the US and EU and Nintendo piddles out this shit, again.

Wait and see the Curve sales. They might be excellent. Nintendo just had a big E3 sale.

Pokemaniac

No word on TG16 upgrade fees yet?

Also saw this in another thread but it looks like 3rd party N64 games could be coming from Capcom, Konami, Square Enix and... Microsoft?!?

If those were found in the emulators themselves, then this is not new. Those have been known about for a bit. Nintendo has a bit of a history of including references to lots of games, some of which never end up releasing in the VC emulator files.

If those were found somewhere else though, that might be significant.

MacTag

Banned
If those were found in the emulators themselves, then this is not new. Those have been known about for a bit. Nintendo has a bit of a history of including references to lots of games, some of which never end up releasing in the VC emulator files.

If those were found somewhere else though, that might be significant.
They were found in system database updates rather than VC roms. And yes it's entirely possible it won't result in an actual release or at least releases for everything.

Mischief Makers and Goemon are there though so let me dream!

edit: For those wondering about the games in the database update:

F-Zero X
Pokémon Stadium
Sim City 64
Super Smash Bros.
Resident Evil 2
Bomberman Hero
Banjo-Tooie
Bomberman 64
Custom Robo
Star Fox 64
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Goldeneye 007
Mario Tennis
Excitebike 64
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Perfect Dark
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2
Mischief Makers
Wave Race 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

HotHamBoy

Wait and see the Curve sales. They might be excellent. Nintendo just had a big E3 sale.

The big e3 sale was pretty mediocre by other storefront standards. Most discounts were 30%, i think?

Meanwhile Sony also had an even bigger E3 sale, and then a bunch more in the following weeks, covering far more titles and discounting between 50-80% off.

maxcriden

The big e3 sale was pretty mediocre by other storefront standards. Most discounts were 30%, i think?

Meanwhile Sony also had an even bigger E3 sale, and then a bunch more in the following weeks, covering far more titles and discounting between 50-80% off.

You're completely right, but by Nintendo standards it was a solid sale. The thing is, Nintendo game values don't depreciate as quickly as other publisher's games. Unless Nintendo chooses to make a game part of a value line, like Nintendo Selects, it's generally tough to get too far below MSRP unless the game is a bomba like Star Fox (and even then once stock dwindles the price will shoot way up). So it's a double-edged sword. Your physical Nintendo games have a lot more resale value than those from other publishes, generally. But, your digital games are going to be pricier than ideal as a result, and have little resale value.

TheMoon

Publishers decide what they sell their games for. Sales promos included.

knkng

Uh, wow. So the TG-16 emulation and "PC Engine" virtual console menu seem to be completely different from all other VC emulators.

Quite a few options in there, but unfortunately I don't see manual scans anywhere.

Pokemaniac

They were found in system database updates rather than VC roms. And yes it's entirely possible it won't result in an actual release or at least releases for everything.

Mischief Makers and Goemon are there though so let me dream!

edit: For those wondering about the games in the database update:

F-Zero X
Pokémon Stadium
Sim City 64
Super Smash Bros.
Resident Evil 2
Bomberman Hero
Banjo-Tooie
Bomberman 64
Custom Robo
Star Fox 64
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Goldeneye 007
Mario Tennis
Excitebike 64
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Perfect Dark
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2
Mischief Makers
Wave Race 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Unless I'm missing something, the Twitter conversation seems to imply these were extracted from Donkey Kong 64, not the eShop servers. Also, these files wouldn't appear on the server by themselves. They are always included with the emulator.

TheMoon

Unless I'm missing something, the Twitter conversation seems to imply these were extracted from Donkey Kong 64, not the eShop servers. Also, these files wouldn't appear on the server by themselves. They are always included with the emulator.

Yea it's a meaningless "ignore completely" rumor. Remember Illusion of Gaia was in a similar way "found" in the Wii VC emulator.

knkng

Different how? Do tell!

Well, it starts up with a little chime (Hudson?) on start up, and a "pause" sound when you bring up the menu. The VC menu also has a completely different design with The PC Engine logo in the background.

In the menu you can bring up the Gamepad and TV settings separately. In each one you have Screen Mode: Default (4:3), Full (16:9 stretched), and Custom.

In custom you can manually adjust Vertical and horizontal position, screen size and screen ratio.

The emulation also seems to be very bright and clean looking (no filters), but I dunno, we probably need someone with a more discriminating eye to take a look at it.

Edit: Hmm, options for rapid fire buttons? :)

MacTag

Banned
Ah, I see. I only read the linked article which sort of implied otherwise.

Yea it's a meaningless "ignore completely" rumor. Remember Illusion of Gaia was in a similar way "found" in the Wii VC emulator.
Well not totally meaningless, it just means these games were used, referenced or worked on in some capacity. Just because we didn't end up getting Illusion of Gaia doesn't mean we were never getting Illusion of Gaia. Lots of Wii VC titles were planned that we didn't end up getting for whatever reason, like Earthbound or Lufia. I'm sure it'll be the same on 3DS and Wii U.

maxcriden

Well, it starts up with a little chime (Hudson?) on start up, and a "pause" sound when you bring up the menu. The VC menu also has a completely different design with The PC Engine logo in the background.

In the menu you can bring up the Gamepad and TV settings separately. In each one you have Screen Mode: Default (4:3), Full (16:9 stretched), and Custom.

In custom you can manually adjust Vertical and horizontal position, screen size and screen ratio.

The emulation also seems to be very bright and clean looking (no filters), but I dunno, we probably need someone with a more discriminating eye to take a look at it.

Edit: Hmm, options for rapid fire buttons? :)

Well. That's awesome! I wonder if there are any coming that I don't have on Wii (no plans to do a sys transfer). Thanks for the info!

TG16 emulation has some weird scaling artifacting going on that I can't seem to fix in the monitor settings. Does anyone know what the monitor size and ratio settings should be to get perfectly square pixels?

MacTag

Banned
TG16 emulation has some weird scaling artifacting going on that I can't seem to fix in the monitor settings. Does anyone know what the monitor size and ratio settings should be to get perfectly square pixels?
It varies by game. Most TG16 games were 256 x 240 (8:7) but I'm not sure what you'd need to adjust to in the settings to correct from the 4:3 standard setting to get square pixels?

The original hardware did not have perfectly square pixels.

Shizza

Checking out the list of games included in the NES Classic Mini, I noticed Bubble Bobble (Taito - now owned by Square-Enix) and Final Fantasy. I wonder if this is foreshadowing of upcoming Square-Enix titles for the Wii U?

It's not going to happen, is it?

MacTag

Banned
Checking out the list of games included in the NES Classic Mini, I noticed Bubble Bobble (Taito - now owned by Square-Enix) and Final Fantasy. I wonder if this is foreshadowing of upcoming Square-Enix titles for the Wii U?

It's not going to happen, is it?
It might happen. We got FFTA anyway and I bet we'll see more GBA yet too. Maybe it's the upgrade fee that's keeping their NES and SNES titles at bay?

Shame it's too late for 3DS though. I wonder what happened there.

Top Bottom