• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12-year old Santa Monica boy dies due to 'choking game'

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Death of Santa Monica boy, 12, apparently a result of 'choking game':

Death of Santa Monica boy, 12, apparently a result of 'choking game'
April 28, 2010 | 6:04 pm

A 12-year-old Santa Monica boy died after apparently playing the "choking game" inside his home, police said Wednesday.

Officers found the boy in full cardiac arrest April 20 at his home in the 800 block of 18th Street after receiving an emergency call. He was transported to a local hospital, where he was taken off life support two days later and pronounced dead, the Santa Monica Police Department said. The boy, who was playing the game by himself, tied a rope to his neck and attached it to a device in the home, police said. "It didn't break free and he ended up cutting off the blood flow and oxygen to his brain," said Sgt. Jay Trisler, adding that the case is being investigated as an accidental death.

The goal of the game -- also known as "space monkey," "sleeper hold" and "funky chicken" -- is to restrict the blood flow to the brain and cause a quick euphoric sensation. The game can be played alone, using a necktie, belt or other type of binding to put pressure on the carotid artery in the neck. The other method involves using a partner, who can apply pressure to the neck or chest until the subject passes out.

Despite the dangers, officials say, the game has been embraced by a number of youths across the country. "It's very popular among the kids," Trisler said.

ruuk

I played this a couple times when I was about that age.... 25 years ago. I wonder what the long term effects were.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I used to do that as a kid, too. Survival of the fittest bitch, I win.

am thankful my step brother and friends weren't complete idiots.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gaborn said:
They should just call it "Auto-erotic asphyxiation" and get it over with. It's not about a "quick euphoric sensation" it's about providing a better high when you jack off. It's also incredibly dangerous and stupid, but pussyfooting around what the kid was doing isn't helpful.
Many people do indeed do erotic asphyxiation, but that's different from the "choking game".

ruuk

You can 'play' it without jacking off, it's about the fun and excitement of passing out and waking up all confused.

Gaborn

hateradio said:

I really honestly doubt if it was actually a case of the "choking game" vs. AEA. Kids aren't as innocent as people want to believe usually, I'm betting the kid was a David Carradine fan and wanted to try what he did (of course, Carradine also died). In general if a kid is doing this the ASSUMPTION is always "choking game," and if an ADULT does it it's "AEA." This is, in my view, particularly true if you're alone. Just like most kids won't masturbate with their friends (well, ok, there were a few times... and then those truth or dares, they were fun dares... but USUALLY...) it's hardly a "game" if you're doing it privately and away from others anyway.

I played that a few times as a kid, too. With friends, of course. We used to do it during school, which prompted the principal to suspend any students caught "playing" during lunch hour, haha. Hilarious. :lol

carradine2.jpg

"Amateur"

ruuk said:
You can 'play' it without jacking off, it's about the fun and excitement of passing out and waking up all confused.

Wait, so the "goal" is to choke yourself until you pass out? Gee, what could possibly go wrong?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Speaking as someone who used to sniff glue and breathe in CO2 to get high as a kid, this choking game is new to me. I feel like I missed out.

JavaMava

I remember kids used to do this in the change rooms before or after gym in highschool. Basically a cheap, or free way to get high. I just stuck to weed.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gaborn said:
I really honestly doubt if it was actually a case of the "choking game" vs. AEA. Kids aren't as innocent as people want to believe usually, I'm betting the kid was a David Carradine fan and wanted to try what he did (of course, Carradine also died). In general if a kid is doing this the ASSUMPTION is always "choking game," and if an ADULT does it it's "AEA." This is, in my view, particularly true if you're alone. Just like most kids won't masturbate with their friends (well, ok, there were a few times... and then those truth or dares, they were fun dares... but USUALLY...) it's hardly a "game" if you're doing it privately and away from others anyway.
There's been quite a few people in this thread saying they done it as kids and have not mentioned whacking off. If you're so against assumption, then why are you yourself assuming he did it combined with masturbation? Last time I checked you can play games alone. That's irrelevant since "choking game" is simply a popular term for it.

Rorschach

Lots of kids I knew did this. It wasn't sexual at all and it wasn't even about getting a "euphoric sensation." It was to prove that it can be done and that the ones passing out weren't faking it. :lol

Rorschach said:
Lots of kids I knew did this. It wasn't sexual at all and it wasn't even about getting a "euphoric sensation." It was to prove that it can be done and that the ones passing out weren't faking it. :lol
Exactly. So GTFO Gaborn! :lol

KHarvey16

Don't be too rough on him guys, if you had Gaborn's dick history you'd want to be unconscious while you handled it too!

;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
KHarvey16 said:
Don't be too rough on him guys, if you had Gaborn's dick history you'd want to be unconscious while you handled it too!

;)
Yeah, I don't know if I would sass Gaborn. I heard he once beat a man unconscious using nothing except his turgid erection. That's the lesser known way to win the passing out game.

Gaborn

SapientWolf said:
Yeah, I don't know if I would sass Gaborn. I heard he once beat a man unconscious using nothing except his turgid erection. That's the lesser known way to win the passing out game.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol to both you and KHarvey.
besides, a good strong hairbrush is more fun and there's no need to leave the poor man unconscious... can't say I'm a fan of the choking game :lol
Alright guys, fair enough, I suppose I was underestimating the prevalence of the "choking game"

Rorschach said:

Yeah my brother and I did this a few times with friends when we were kids like 20 years ago. You don't even have to choke the other guy out. You just inhale and exhale like 20 times and then hold your breath and the other guy does a heimlick maneuver kind of bear hug and you pass out. God we were fucking stupid. I'm suprised we didn't end up with brain damage, but it was the 80's. They still sold lawn darts, cap guns, replica Tek 9 semi-automatic squirt guns and candy cigarettes back then.

The thing was people always accused every one of faking it because half the time you would go into convulsions.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh yeah, that was all the rage when we were 16 or so for about 1 week.

Was pretty neat. I think I'll remind everyone of the game next time we have a party where there is loads of drinking involved.

ruuk

Nemesis121 said:
WTF @12 i was playing sports and going to the arcades, kid needed some friends.
Dreams-Visions said:
this is why you need to have your kids involved in after-school activities.
Funny, we were doing it right after soccer practice.

way more

Old game. I say old because in Colorado it was a phase, 10 years ago! Shouldn't kids in Santa Monica be fucking and doing skeezy cheezy?

I want to invent a device which allows a individual to practice auto-erotic asphyxiation safely. Imagine going down in history as the man who made chocking yourself safe.

Lich_King

WTF at that kid and all the people in this thread doing that. Why do you get high by choking yourself? I can understand choking someone else, but self-choking doesn't make any sense, except the case when you want to commit suicide.

Dresden

Lich_King said:
WTF at that kid and all the people in this thread doing that. Why do you get high by choking yourself? I can understand choking someone else, but self-choking doesn't make any sense, except the case when you want to commit suicide.
Peer pressure is a wonderful thing.

Sounds like a game that a person I use to know did in 4th grade. It was holding his breath for as long as he can competition. I'm guessing he won since an ambulance have to come to our school for him.

Yeah, we did this a little bit when I was like 11 or 12 a few times, just put your head between your knees and hyperventilate then stand up quick with your hands against your kneck...the flashing back into consciousness was actually pretty thrilling at the time.

WTF at Gaborn not taking no for an answer that this kid didn't have his dick out :lol What a creep

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I really want to try this now.
With or without the Filipino whore jerking me off whilst I do it.

Ferga

I thought that game was being ridiculed by the OP until i read that people actually played this

I have never heard of this

Gaborn said:
They should just call it "Auto-erotic asphyxiation" and get it over with. It's not about a "quick euphoric sensation" it's about providing a better high when you jack off. It's also incredibly dangerous and stupid, but pussyfooting around what the kid was doing isn't helpful.

I've never understood why people don't just hold their breath when they feel like they're about to have an orgasm. It accomplishes the same thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jesus fucking christ at all the posters going 'oh yeah, we did this at school', as if its the most natural thing in the world.

You're making each other unconcious, starving the brain of oxygen. Sounds hilarious. Give me stink bombs and cap guns any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom