• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption screens (the Good), R* Spouse (the Bad), & cover art (the UGLY)

Rhino

sw33tclyde said:
Another preview that I missed earlier:

GamesRadar

Some minor spoilers involving a few missions, here's a great one the previewer encountered:

One of the random encounters involves an NPC pleading with you to save his soon-to-be hanged friend, so the previewer shot the rope just like in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

KNtJI.gif

Sn4ke_911 said:
from Gamepro German preview:

»Press X to place victim on railroad track« :lol

WAT?!

M0WwS.gif

sw33tclyde said:
Pretty awesome quote from the ausgames preview:
That was a very interesting anecdote, for sure. In fact, reminds me of the sort of intermeshing layers of like Oblivion. I fully expect this to be about as immersive as that game.

But speaking of Aus folk, does it seem like Rockstar reeled in the fun a little bit when they added more realism?

Take a stroll with me here: GTA IV's Liberty City was huge and very awesome and immersive. Big and real as it was, it left me pining for the towns, highways, wilderness, airports, travel etc. of GTA San Andreas. How cool was it that you could get in an airplane and fly yourself to anywhere in the game, including Las Venturas, which I believe was only reachable by air?

Now, I realize the range is gonna be big, and it spans parts of a fictitious Mexico and fictitious territorial US. Yaknow what would be just badass beyond words? Catching a slow steamer to Australia, or South America, maybe pull off some Butch Cassidy bank robbery action or some Quigley Down Under range riding.

Just a thought.

TheKurgan

I don't think my hype level could be any higher for this game - which is surprising since it wasn't even on my radar a couple of months ago. I cancelled my Amazon preorder because I can’t trust UPS (or whoever) to deliver the game by the weekend. I will walk into Walmart or Bestbuy to make sure I have it day one.

Am I right in assuming these new previews are all 360 versions? The ones I have read seem to be. Rockstar needs to show the PS3 version to the press before release or I might get cold feet and buy the 360 version instead.

sw33tclyde said:

GamesRadar

Some minor spoilers involving a few missions, here's a great one the previewer encountered:

One of the random encounters involves an NPC pleading with you to save his soon-to-be hanged friend, so the previewer shot the rope just like in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

What!?! R*, I love you! :D :D :D

This is game is shaping up to be the best thing since sliced bread. Can't wait!

I just thought, can you ride a horse along side a train and jump off the horse onto the moving train?

Also can you do different positions on the horse?

Hyphen

Goldrusher said:

The trouble with this game is that it's shaping up to be too good.
I think I'm going to start a list of all the things that John Marston won't be able to do (swim?)... :D
Seriously though, I can't friggin' wait for this game!!!

Wag

Hyphen said:
I think I'm going to start a list of all the things that John Marston won't be able to do (swim?)... :D
If Laura Ingles can swim, John Marston sure as hell can!!! :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
sw33tclyde said:

GamesRadar

FUCK

Tr4nce

sw33tclyde said:

GamesRadar

Ehm, the spoilered part sounded awesome to me, but then I read somewhere else that this is not something that happens once, but it happens in a few more side missions. And that's a bad sign, if you ask me. I'm getting this GTAIV feeling all over again. You hear awesome things before the game comes out, and then when you play the game they give those awesome things so much to you, that it becomes boring and unoriginal. Please prove me wrong R*, I want to buy this game so badly!!!!!!!!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Tr4nce said:
Ehm, the spoilered part sounded awesome to me, but then I read somewhere else that this is not something that happens once, but it happens in a few more side missions. And that's a bad sign, if you ask me. I'm getting this GTAIV feeling all over again. You hear awesome things before the game comes out, and then when you play the game they give those awesome things so much to you, that it becomes boring and unoriginal. Please prove me wrong R*, I want to buy this game so badly!!!!!!!!

Funny. This is the first time I have seen it mentioned at all and I have been following this game very close.

Tr4nce said:
Today 01:15 AM

Read the preview at the bottom of my post, they shed a little light on the side missions.

Part 2

The side-quest portion of the game is probably more robust in variety and form than the game's main campaign (sans awesome story). After you complete the first few required quests, the game-world opens up for you in much the same way we've come to expect from Rockstar open-world games, and most side-quests can be started by simply talking to NPCs, reading Wanted posters or generally engaging in life in the game-world. 'Strangers' is another in-game menu option, which tracks quests that aren't part of the main story. See a question mark on your mini-map and it'll lead you to an NPC usually asking for help. Some of their missions might come in the form of simple fetching, travelling or killing, but others can actually last a long time, with multiple tiers replete with breaks that actually require hours or days of in-game time to pass. This maintains the organic flow of the symbiotic game-world I've been raving about, and it helps keep everything fresh and alive - there's no repetitive structure in place for missions here, and while some of them are essentially the same, only in newer areas (like breaking in horses), you're never forced to do anything in any one particular order, again elevating Red Dead Redemption over its Rockstar brethren ten-fold.

There are a handful of paragraphs just like this one that I could quote, so go check out that preview. Here's the link to P1 and P2:
Part 1
Part 2

Edit: :lol I couldn't leave this one out
Marston is easily the most accessible and likeable Rockstar leading man yet. His respect for woman, poise, logic and desire to rectify some wrongs in his past make him instantly likeable, but like so many Western heroes and anti-heroes, he's not afraid to get his hands dirty or walk the walk, so to speak. He also looks cool. I've suggested in a previous preview that he's essentially a composite of Clint Eastwood and Wolverine, and playing this long through the game, I couldn't have been more right.

Edit 2: Someone wrote up some cliffnotes on the IGN forums, so I'll shamelessly steal them and post it here:

Cliffnotes:
- Only a few seconds of load time to start the game (so no picture slideshow like GTA)
- No noticeable hitches in framerate in seven hours of play time
- Only real loading comes from fast travel
- Very little pop-in despite the draw distance
- Very detailed texturing with smooth load-ins
- No two areas of the map are alike. Everything is unique.
- The game is generous with mid-mission checkpoints and if you fail you can restart from the last checkpoint
- Dying warps you to your nearest owned or rented property, and there is ample property to buy
- In your safehouse you can restock on ammo, sleep (which saves and fast forwards the game clock by six hours) and change clothes
- Robust clothing options, though nothing super specific like mixing and matching
- Can visit general stores, gun shops, clinics, the tailor and more.
- Can buy chewing tobacco, apples (to feed your horse), medicine (to heal yourself) and bandannas (to disguise yourself)
- Money is harder to come by than in GTA but its more useful
- Can sell items you find, along with animal skins
- Loads of sidequests to be discovered by simply exploring and living in the world with less repitition and more depth than you'd think
- The difficulty system is based on how much computer assistance you get in the aiming. The easiest difficulty is full lock on, the hardest is full free aim
- "This isn't just "GTA in the West", it's a genre-defining experience that utterly raises the bar for all open-world games to follow."

Chowfahn

Neo Member
(Not sure why this is in spoiler tags... It's not story related, and it was shown in a trailer...)

You know, the
rope shooting thing
was in the second Life in the West trailer... Was I the only one who noticed that?
Life in the West was unforgiving. Violence was a constant presence. From intervening in a roadside execution, to chasing down a stolen wagon, to becoming embroiled in a deadly gunfight...
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq5/thephurl/hunged.png

was the Q&A for Asked & Answered: Special Red Dead Multiplayer Edition posted yet?

"Hey R* I still need to know, will we be able to swim in RDR?" - captaincabbage

As an outlaw character who's spent most of his life on horseback in the land-locked territories of the West - John Marston is not much of a swimmer. If he has to cross a body of water, transport will be provided. John has no problem wading, but if he gets too deep, he will drown

“Is there auto aim on multiplayer for RDR?” – received via Twitter

Like the single player game, there are three targeting modes available to choose from: Casual, Normal and Expert. Casual is full lock, Normal snaps-to-target but does not lock on, and Expert has no assist. You can configure your own personal targeting to suit your preferences in any game by using the multiplayer playlists in the menu.
For Competitive games, there are Casual playlists for all game types that are exclusively Casual targeting mode, or that allow players to mix it up and play against each other across a variety of the three targeting types.
There are also playlists for Gang Matches and Free For All games which allow players to use Normal or Expert targeting together (but not Casual).
For advanced players that prefer to strictly play against other free-aimers, Hardcore and Veteran playlists that exclusively support Expert targeting can be used for all Gang Matches and Free For All Games.
It’s also worth noting that honing your multiplayer skills with the more advanced Normal and Expert targeting styles will reward you with bonus XP to level up faster than those using Casual.

Sweet I was right! Bonus xp for using Hardcore/Veteran aiming = win also

sw33tclyde said:
Read the preview at the bottom of my post, they shed a little light on the side missions.

Part 2

There are a handful of paragraphs just like this one that I could quote, so go check out that preview. Here's the link to P1 and P2:
Part 1
Part 2

Edit: :lol I couldn't leave this one out

Edit 2: Someone wrote up some cliffnotes on the IGN forums, so I'll shamelessly steal them and post it here:

When describing the Dead Eye system in part 2 he states that R3 activates it. Was this guy playing the PS3 version? If so, that's great news as he said it ran very well.

Gorechylde said:
When describing the Dead Eye system in part 2 he states that R3 activates it. Was this guy playing the PS3 version? If so, that's great news as he said it ran very well.

I think he means R3 as in the right thumbstick button(i.e. click the stick), with the trigger and bumper being R1 and R2.

He was definitely playing on 360:

From the comments section of part 1: said:
E.T.
Posted 10:23am 29/4/10
What platform did you play on?

Steve Farrelly
Posted 10:23am 29/4/10
Xbox 360

sw33tclyde said:
I think he means R3 as in the right thumbstick button(i.e. click the stick), with the trigger and bumper being R1 and R2.

He was definitely playing on 360:

Ah, gotta love comments. I hope they show SOMETHING of the PS3 version before launch...

Teknoman

Nice, free aim matches :D

- Only a few seconds of load time to start the game (so no picture slideshow like GTA)
- No noticeable hitches in framerate in seven hours of play time
- Only real loading comes from fast travel
- Very little pop-in despite the draw distance
- Very detailed texturing with smooth load-ins
- No two areas of the map are alike. Everything is unique.
- The game is generous with mid-mission checkpoints and if you fail you can restart from the last checkpoint
- Dying warps you to your nearest owned or rented property, and there is ample property to buy
- In your safehouse you can restock on ammo, sleep (which saves and fast forwards the game clock by six hours) and change clothes
- Robust clothing options, though nothing super specific like mixing and matching
- Can buy chewing tobacco, apples (to feed your horse), medicine (to heal yourself) and bandannas (to disguise yourself)
- Can sell items you find, along with animal skins
- Loads of sidequests to be discovered by simply exploring and living in the world with less repitition and more depth than you'd think
- The difficulty system is based on how much computer assistance you get in the aiming. The easiest difficulty is full lock on, the hardest is full free aim
- "This isn't just "GTA in the West", it's a genre-defining experience that utterly raises the bar for all open-world games to follow."

Wow.

LemonGremlin said:
If you can buy medicine, I guess there's no health regeneration? I guess it's for combat use only?

I think they've stated that it regens up to a certain point. Like 1/4 health and then you have to sleep or take medicine to get to full.

LemonGremlin said:
If you can buy medicine, I guess there's no health regeneration? I guess it's for combat use only?

I'm unsure as well, they've stated health regen is in though. Could be like the poster above stated and only to a certain point.

One preview I read said that in the beginning of the game
you are injured and saved by bonnie. Bonnie has you work on her ranch to repay the $15 she spent on the medicine to heal you. Also they stated money is very hard to come by, and that after serveral missions they only had $40. They said it was a hard decision between ammo(don't remember the price of sorry, I'd go back and check but I'm about to leave to go hiking) and a $25 bottle of medicine.

Also the previews talking about a working economy in game blow my mind. I hope that this means you can wait on trading paths and hijack carriages. After a couple of intercepted, go to town and sell all of the much needed medicine for inflated prices. (***Note this is speculation on my part)

Goldrusher

RSTEIN said:
Any word on the checkpoint system? The lack of checkpoints in GTA4 ruined the game for me.
There are checkpoints.

But why did the lack of them ruin GTAIV for you ? The majority of the missions are fairly short and relatively easy. Especially if you keep an eye on your ammo and armor. Only a dozen or so were long, in multiple locations. Also, missions with a long drive beforehand did have checkpoints. And all of them had a restart option skipping the travel to the mission starting point and the intro cut scene.

San Andreas and Vice City didn't have them either. You couldn't even swim in Vice City. Rarely did people complain about that so vocally as with GTAIV. Not to mention both had a lot of chase missions, another thing popular to hate. Even San Andrea's finale was a chase mission.

I'm much more annoyed by the lack of auto-save in the GTA-games. Not once did I felt annoyed having to restart a failed missions from scratch. But many, many times I felt annoyed having to get to a save house to save, instead of being able to instantly quit the game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Goldrusher said:
But why did the lack of them ruin GTAIV for you ? Besides, some of the longer missions had checkpoints and all of them had a restart option skipping the travel to the mission starting point.

Well, first my 360 was on the fritz (surprise) so I could only get ~20 mins of playtime in between disc read errors. So if I didn't get to a checkpoint within that time I would have to start every mission from scratch.

But really the game became too frustrating for me during this one side mission. I can't remember the exact details but I had to basically go across the city (to the middle island) and raid a drug house or something. The cops show up after killing everyone inside. I mean full SWAT, everything. Very difficult. It was a lot of fun, but I died like 3 times. Plus, as mentioned, my 360 would freeze. So every time I died/360 restarted, I would have to drive all the way across the bridge, find the building, get out of the car, and make my way through all the punks occupying the building, escape the police, etc. All without a checkpoint!

With my deaths and a couple of disc read errors, I tried about 5 times and got to a point where it wasn't worth my time anymore. I have limited game play time available as is, so having to start the 360 and spend 10 minutes to just get to the damn objective really became intolerable for me.

I loved the game, definitely the best GTA ever made. Still haven't finished, probably never will.

Teknoman said:
- Can sell items you find, along with animal skins[/I]

Wow.

Ohhhhh man. Something to actually DO with our money.

And RENTED PROPERTY FTMFW!

TheKurgan

RSTEIN said:
Well, first my 360 was on the fritz (surprise) so I could only get ~20 mins of playtime in between disc read errors. So if I didn't get to a checkpoint within that time I would have to start every mission from scratch.

But really the game became too frustrating for me during this one side mission. I can't remember the exact details but I had to basically go across the city (to the middle island) and raid a drug house or something. The cops show up after killing everyone inside. I mean full SWAT, everything. Very difficult. It was a lot of fun, but I died like 3 times. Plus, as mentioned, my 360 would freeze. So every time I died/360 restarted, I would have to drive all the way across the bridge, find the building, get out of the car, and make my way through all the punks occupying the building, escape the police, etc. All without a checkpoint!

With my deaths and a couple of disc read errors, I tried about 5 times and got to a point where it wasn't worth my time anymore. I have limited game play time available as is, so having to start the 360 and spend 10 minutes to just get to the damn objective really became intolerable for me.

I loved the game, definitely the best GTA ever made. Still haven't finished, probably never will.

Man I haven't played GTA in over a year and still remember that mission - PAIN IN THE ASS!

Hyphen

DMPrince said:
was the Q&A for Asked & Answered: Special Red Dead Multiplayer Edition posted yet?

"Hey R* I still need to know, will we be able to swim in RDR?" - captaincabbage

As an outlaw character who's spent most of his life on horseback in the land-locked territories of the West - John Marston is not much of a swimmer. If he has to cross a body of water, transport will be provided. John has no problem wading, but if he gets too deep, he will drown.
That all sounds fine by me - I'm not much of a swimmer either.
Nice find Prince.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
TheKurgan said:
Man I haven't played GTA in over a year and still remember that mission - PAIN IN THE ASS!

Yeah, tell me about it. I no doubt did an irrational thing by stopping after hitting the mission. I just got so fed up with the whole thing and the absence of an obvious thing like a checkpoint really pissed me off.

Top Bottom