• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare |OT| "Aaaaargh, zombie cougars!"

Montresor

My initial thoughs on Undead Nightmare:

--In the first hour of the game there are so many good cutscenes it makes you cry. I love the voice acting in this game, and I adore the characters.

--The game's missions are fun. They're nothing extraordinary, just like the first Red Dead, but what makes the game so beautifully compelling is how they somehow make mundane aspects of a cowboy's life (like herding cows, lassoing people, breaking horses, patrolling farms, hunting treasure, collecting desert sage, etc...) so addictive.

--Snake Oil salesman askes me to collect him 5 desert sage, and all I could do was grin profusely. That brings me to my next point. So I love collecting desert sage. But the reason I loved doing it so much in the original single player and in free roam is because of the feeling of isolation in the majority of Red Dead's overworld. You're a lone cowboy, exploring a vast, deserted and beautiful landscape. I want that feeling of loneliness when playing this game. The single player has a myriad of NPC encounters, sure, but when you're hunting grizzly bears in Tall Trees, it's just your knife, the crickets chirping, the moonlight shining on your back, and the heavy footsteps of grizzly bears lurking in the shadow. When doing those mundane side quests there should just be your character and the beautiful wilderness and nothing else.

But in Undead Nightmare, there's zombies freaking everywhere. I can't sit down in between Armadillo and Hennigen's Stead and just calmly take in the sights, looking to skin a snake, or hunt a rabbit, or pick up a plant, etc...

Aside from that, I like all the new DLC in the game.

Chairhome

Finally got around to starting UN a few nights ago. Its been a while since I completed RDR, so I'm getting used to the controls again. There is no way to import your data from RDR, correct? And all skills that you had unlocked (like tagging targets in Dead Eye mode) must be unlocked again through story?

That being said, its good so far, enjoying the humor in all of it, but I'm a little cold on it right now.

rataplein

well, i played through most of it yesterday.

it was an incredible experience, and i didn't played read dead redemption yet. (going to ASAP).

ok, i don't know if this has been discussed yet.

i find the zombies idea incredibly fitting in the gameplay mechanics. so i started to think... what would happen if you put the zombies in GTA4?. would it work?
with a little polish, and a "the walking dead" comic background we could get an espectacular game.

imagine trying to survive with a few weapons at first... trying no to go close to big cities because of fear of a "horde" of zombies...
getting food, sleeping, finding survivors, cleaning zones..
maybe there could be partes of the city blocked.. and you would have to take the subway roads... filled with more zombies and in the dark.

i really hope that this zombies in RDR "experiment" gives rockstar a few ideas on how to make a zombie survival game.

Hey You

rataplein said:
well, i played through most of it yesterday.

it was an incredible experience, and i didn't played read dead redemption yet. (going to ASAP).

ok, i don't know if this has been discussed yet.

i find the zombies idea incredibly fitting in the gameplay mechanics. so i started to think... what would happen if you put the zombies in GTA4?. would it work?
with a little polish, and a "the walking dead" comic background we could get an espectacular game.
imagine trying to survive with a few weapons at first... trying no to go close to big cities because of fear of a "horde" of zombies...
getting food, sleeping, finding survivors, cleaning zones..
maybe there could be partes of the city blocked.. and you would have to take the subway roads... filled with more zombies and in the dark.
Man a Zombie Mode in Liberty City would have been the best thing ever. Both a Single Player Experience and a Multiplayer Component with a Free Roam mode and one with Objectives you and your friends must accomplish (clear out a office building and rescue survivors, explore the city for weapons,parts,food etc) would have been awesome.

i really hope that this zombies in RDR "experiment" gives rockstar a few ideas on how to make a zombie survival game.
Same. A R* zombie game would be the best zombie game ever.

GAHHH - RDR2 come out already! Is there a possibility their will be a sequel - is it inevitable? I heard about the Rockstar problems near the end of RDR and it sounded like another RDR like it was in the 1st game could never be made.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Darknessbear said:
GAHHH - RDR2 come out already! Is there a possibility their will be a sequel - is it inevitable? I heard about the Rockstar problems near the end of RDR and it sounded like another RDR like it was in the 1st game could never be made.

Given RDR has sold 8m+, another entry is going to happen eventually. It's won't be RDR2, though. I imagine R* will use another differing 'R' word. Red Dead Revolver, Red Read Redemption, Red Dead R..?

heringer

Thinking about buying the disc version. Loved Red Dead Redemption, so it should be a nice ride.

Couple of questions though:

- How long is it? Meaty enough to be considered a full game?
- How is the online community (PS3 version)? Still active?

daviyoung

Banned
heringer said:

No, it's about 5 hours long, extended slightly by similar things as RDR (survivalist/hunting challenges, side-missions etc).

bengraven

heringer said:
Thinking about buying the disc version. Loved Red Dead Redemption, so it should be a nice ride.

Like the person above me stated.

But it's really really fun and the story/cutscenes are worth it. Nearly all the major characters who are still alive in the last chapter of the game (right before the final showdown) are represented here. It actually feels like another epilogue to RDR, only with zombies. It reminded me how much I love these characters - something missing from the last GTA that I used to enjoy about San Andreas or VC or even III. I honestly with they'd make more DLC with more story.

And it's also a bit harder than you expect. Ammunition is more valuable than gold, as someone in-game points out and when you run out you really feel fucked until you find some more: it's the most accurate zombie game outside of the original Resident Evils in that feeling of ammo conservation.

It's worth $10 even if you're not into zombies though. Just don't expect a lot of time spent there. You have just a few main missions that are set between a few stranger missions and some graveyard clearing. Most of your time will be spent traveling.

BUT that alone is fun. The new random encounters feel right out of a zombie film.

This goes up with Point Lookout and Island of Dr. Ned as my favorite DLCs ever.

Hey You

It was totally worth the $10 for me. Heck I probably would have paid $15 or maybe $20 for it.

Alot easier than I was expecting. Before it came out I thought I would be throwing my controller at the TV>

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
heringer said:

I loved every second of the Undead Nightmare campaign. Spent about 7 hours in it. Felt it offered more than most full-priced games and I had fun from the first second to the last. It made me like the RDR universe a whole lot more than after playing through the RDR campaign.

The online community on the PS3 is abit hard to tell. I played some vanilla RDR the day PSN went back online and there was alot of people playing. Can't say how it is for Undead Nightmare but I wouldn't guess it's a desserted. But alot of people might not be back since the outage either so.

I feel bad admitting this, but, anyone else coming over to this thread as a La Noire refugee?

I just put in my order for the disc version because LA is just falling a bit short of the mark for what I want right now and remembered from RDR. ( I know, completely different games, but, its not a lonely thought)

Bought this game for 15 from amazon during that sale last year. Just finished 100%-ing L.A Noire. I'm selling my copy to amazon for an obscene amount of money and playing the last two cases sometime in the future with a borrowed copy. Figured I would tackle this next to start lowering my backlog.

Do people still play the multi? I'm wondering if those achievements are a lost cause at this point.

I loved Red Dead which I played through pretty much non stop for the last month. :p I am 100% going to get this, but im really not sure which version to get?

I do want the disk version, just because I do prefer having the physical copy and having the map and manual and artwork, but is it worth it? The digital version of the disk is only 1600 MS points compared to about 10 pounds more for the disk version.

Then again im only really interested in the single player so maybe I should get the 800MS point version? Having online poker would be awesome, but even with that I doubt I would play multiplayer much more beyond trying out each new feature once.

Whats the best package to go for?

tusken77

The European PSN Store has this at a discount as part of their big mid-week DLC sale.

Undead Nightmare (was £7.99/€9.99 – now £4.79/€5.99)

Undead Nightmare Collection (was £15.99/€19.99 – now £9.99/€12.99)

Hey You

Late to the question above, I'm not sure about the Multiplayer achievements outside of Undead Overrun. I haven't gone for them, but you might want to boost for them.

Lots of people still play Undead Overrun (on the 360 atleast)

bobs99 ... said:
I loved Red Dead which I played through pretty much non stop for the last month. :p I am 100% going to get this, but im really not sure which version to get?

I do want the disk version, just because I do prefer having the physical copy and having the map and manual and artwork, but is it worth it? The digital version of the disk is only 1600 MS points compared to about 10 pounds more for the disk version.

Then again im only really interested in the single player so maybe I should get the 800MS point version? Having online poker would be awesome, but even with that I doubt I would play multiplayer much more beyond trying out each new feature once.

Whats the best package to go for?
If your not really into the multiplayer or only going to play once, then just get Undead Nightmare. If you want some more achievements or gonna play the multiplayer a bit, get the package. With the Digital Download, you get a DLC for free. Its cheaper, but you like owning physical copies.

Its up to you,spend a little more to have a CD or save some money and get it digital.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really should just buy this game on the Games on Demand service. That way I get to play the game finally, and everybody else that want's it for PC can have it too, because i'm 95% sure that the moment I buy the goddamn game, it's PC Port is going to be announced.

Hey You

drizzle said:
I really should just buy this game on the Games on Demand service. That way I get to play the game finally, and everybody else that want's it for PC can have it too, because i'm 95% sure that the moment I buy the goddamn game, it's PC Port is going to be announced.
They have said multiple times that they have no plans for Red Dead to be coming to the PC.

warpaint

Question do i need to have finished red dead before i play this as i would like to download it or do you just need the game save stuff ?

Hey You

drizzle said:
Rockstar said multiple times they had no plans to bring GTAIV to the PC.
Did they now?

warpaint said:
Question do i need to have finished red dead before i play this as i would like to download it or do you just need the game save stuff ?
You can play it before beating the game, but I wouldn't recommend it. It has some spoilers and a pretty big one at the end.

Sorry for the bump, but I just put the game in and I'm apparently experiencing a glitch. During the opening cutscenes, there's zombie dogs randomly placed everywhere that people walk through. And once outside, Abigail and Uncle's character models are zombie dogs as well. Then, the son and the wife's character models are both prostitutes wearing a yellow corset and blue/black striped tights. What's going on and how do I fix it?

Edit: Here's some pictures of the dog and the prostitute.

ibryD5ghySDzj9.jpg

ibsYAhdpBdqR5t.jpg

Just finished this and I gotta say that was wicked..

The world in Red Dead Redemption was already alive and thriving with plants and animals of all sorts. But now most things in it have become cursed! I loved the use of
mythical creatures
, that was such a great surprise. Only I wish they would have
included a werewolf mission where you'd be given silver bullets. I think seeing a werewolf in this game would have really topped it off. Just imagine a hulking beast with red eyes and superhuman strength in the trees at night with a full moon out.

This is a must have if you're into horror. Because this game is a horror fest.

Top Bottom