• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare Coming to Switch and PS4 (Digital August 17th, Physical October 13th)

Woggleman

It looks like they did a much better job than they did with the trilogy but it still costs too much. It reminds me of TLOU remake. They did a great job but it still the same game for too much money.

I haven't gotten far enough to see for myself, but by virtue of this having Hardcore and the Golden Guns toggle does it have all of the GOTY Edition singleplayer content?

IE Solomon's Folly gang hideout and the singleplayer weapons added with the multiplayer DLCs, the Explosive Rifle and Tomahawk?

I mean it's not a remastered but the only problem about this release is the pricing. This could be solved in a few months. I would buy it for $20 and I already have the Xbox BC version on Series S

MrA

Banned
I mean it's not a remastered but the only problem about this release is the pricing. This could be solved in a few months. I would buy it for $20 and I already have the Xbox BC version on Series S
If the switch card is the full game, I"ll buy it when it hits 20, that's the nice thing about excessive price on mainstream releases, don't buy it , it will get cheaper

Skifi28

It looks like they did a much better job than they did with the trilogy but it still costs too much. It reminds me of TLOU remake. They did a great job but it still the same game for too much money.
They did a better job because it's far less ambitious. They botched the trilogy, but at least they tried to do some remastering with it. This here is just a port with no real changes other than shoehorning FSR2 in. They couldn't even be bothered with an increased framerate, probably too much work.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I haven't gotten far enough to see for myself, but by virtue of this having Hardcore and the Golden Guns toggle does it have all of the GOTY Edition singleplayer content?

IE Solomon's Folly gang hideout and the singleplayer weapons added with the multiplayer DLCs, the Explosive Rifle and Tomahawk?

Yup. All the cheats are unlocked from the get go too.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Cougar ambushes are still as startling and brutal as ever. Glad they kept them in 😆

V2hVTHa.jpg

iKw6keI.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Rockstar, you want me to buy? Give it a 60 fps (preferrably unlocked VRR) patch. That's it. I'll be happy

Oh...and lower the price to $30.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Geez, that's a great find! I envy you Americans for having such a robust second hand market for console games. Here in my little European country the selection of games is quite limited and consists mostly in popular titles for PS3/PS4/PS5, Xbox One and Switch.. 😔

It's the mom and pops, or stores that aren't big chains like gamestop, that always have the best deals of these kinds. Or you can just get lucky on something like facebook marketplace, where parents are often selling their kids games for super cheap after they've moved out, cause they don't really know much about it and just want to get rid of things fast.

Three

PS4 being 1080p just like docked Switch is offensive

Should have been 1440p then.

Very lazy port, jesus
Why? Running at 1080p was considered good for last gen regular PS4. I don't think the switch version would be as good visually at the same res. PS4 Pro on the other hand is 4k with better shadows and FSR2.

Three

I guess you are right. But since it is using FSR2 on Playstation 4 Pro, the base resolution is likely 1440p? (and then upscaled via FSR2 to 2160p)

So only on One X and Series X its native 4K?
This is what those who have had a hands on are claiming:

- FSR 2.2 isn't used for upscaling but instead used to provide a layer of AA

So if that's the case its native 4k with FSR2.2 for better AA.

Trunx81

Cougar ambushes are still as startling and brutal as ever. Glad they kept them in 😆
They always were. Showed the game back in the day to my then-underaged son, just the scenery. Was standing at the hills watching over Mexico when all of a sudden a cougar leapt into me and we both fell into the river and died. Good times, good times

Deerock71

This game looks fucking phenomenal on the OLED Switch. I was expecting GTA trilogy levels of jank and it turned out to be the most pleasantly surprising port I've ever played. It's exactly how I remember it, even with my nostalgia goggles.

It's weird playing this after RDR2. The original is so much more fun and well paced.
My take exactly. I'll be playing this on every tabletop, dresser top, and couch arm cushion I can.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This game looks fucking phenomenal on the OLED Switch. I was expecting GTA trilogy levels of jank and it turned out to be the most pleasantly surprising port I've ever played. It's exactly how I remember it, even with my nostalgia goggles.

It's weird playing this after RDR2. The original is so much more fun and well paced.
Best way to plays the game thank you Rockstar

chris-farley-shades.gif

Boy bawang

I was really spoiled on switch as a gyro enjoyer and the absence of such option is the only reason I haven't bought the game yet. Even at the price, I think I would have caved in

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Def has more of that Leone spaghetti feel as opposed to the Assassination of Jesse James of RD2.

StereoVsn

Couldn't they at least release this on Steam? At least then modders might be able to get 60fps.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Choosing between defective edition of GTA Trilogy and this, I wouldn't want the former even for free while this one is fine if the price goes down to ~$10. So still much better release IMO.

I like the idea of getting the cleanest looking version of older titles instead of lazy remakes.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If this had 60 fps (preferrably unlocked) I think most people would have been OK with the package. It doesn't seem to be broken.

However, the thing that has so many frustrated is that they already have a built and updated map in RDR2, which was all but screaming "we will re-release" RDR1 with the RDR2 map and graphics.

If they add a 60 fps patch to the current version then I will buy it eventually.

As of now, I will not pay for a game that is 30 fps only. No fucking way.

bender

What time is it?

The bummer about RDR is that it is rooted in R*'s older mission giver design. Meet a few characters, do a handful of quests for them before moving onto the next set of characters. The caravan structure of RDR2 remedied this somewhat. Bonnie MacFarlane and Landon Ricketts deserved more screen time.

I have been playing so much of this lately. Its refreshing to play a well made singleplayer game that is perfectly paced and without a ton of UbiBloat. Even RDR2 was full of bloat.
Yeah, the original is very well paced. I guess the worst part would be the beginning of Mexico because it's slow but that's a short period and the rest of the game is amazing. RDR2 should have been a 20 hour game versus 40 and they should have cut Guarma out entirely that section was so goddamn boring.

T-0800

I bought this game on launch for PS3 and only played it for 9 hours. I know it was 9 hours because I checked the stats when I went back to it yesterday. It might be the worst looking version but I think it looks pretty good even now.

Not really sure why I never played much of it.

Roufianos

I rarely get outraged about gaming news but man, I still can't believe this is a thing.

R* are basically a mini publisher, and a hugely profitable one like that, yet they couldn't even fund a remaster? Let alone a remake.

It's just unbelievable, seems like they learned nothing from the GTA Trilogy.

Top Bottom