• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SwitchUp] Red Dead Redemption Nintendo Switch Technical Performance Review!

Here's our performance and technical breakdown of Rockstar GamesRed Dead Redemption on Nintendo Switch.

00:00 - Start
01:09 - Comparing to the OG release
02:09 - Framerate analysis
02:54 - Still a stunner
04:46 - Handheld
04:57 - Sound Quality
05:30 - The elephant in the room
06:17 - My only real issue

- 30fps at 1080P while docked
- 30fps at 720P in portable mode (battery lasts around 4h on the OLED model)
- "Red Dead more than holds its own on Switch. Not looking too bad at all for something that's over a decade old. It's not bad but there's a few jaggy edges"
- Texture quality surprisingly good but no improved textures
- Lighting is impressive due to the illumination techniques
- Has a full day night sequel, weather system but the physics and animations are shockingly good
- Vegetation, foliage look dated but reflective surfaces redeem this
- Handheld is great due to the shrinking down on the screen (looks great on OLED Switch)
- Sounds are as good as you remember
- There's no Gyro support
- It has HD Rumble support
- Doesn't have multiplayer

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So this was the OG RDR this whole time? I was thinking it was RDR2. *smh*

To be honest, I'm fine with the Switch port (it runs and it looks good) if at least it was priced accordingly -- €30 in my opinion would have been the perfect price. Even so, I'll probably grab the physical version once it gets around €20-€25.

Well, thats a shame. FSR 2.0 make a huge boost on base PS4.

IDK if Switch do support FSR 2.0, but they have been using FSR 1.0 with a mix bag results.
Yeah, I saw the DF video as well. FSR 2 looks great on the Pro and PS5, way better than that shitty FXAA. I'm not even sure why they even added the option in there lol.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

"Global illumination system" ??

Hell is he talking about. Dude sounds technically clueless.

RDR2 was the first Rockstar game that introduced GI in semi realtime fashion. RDR1 is based on shadow maps and deferred rendering for more dynamic lights and point-shadows in one frame. That alone was ahead of it's time in 2010 (when it came to consoles releases anyway)

Steam Deck users running Yuzu rejoice!
Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it.
journey GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Means the system has been hacked to exceed the factory clocks , the v1 switch only runs at 80% gpu speed and 60%cpu speed docked and the v2 and oled only run at about 60% of the max gpu speed,

The bold is TERRIBLE. Wow!

Top Bottom