• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare Coming to Switch and PS4 (Digital August 17th, Physical October 13th)

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
2 minutes past midnight here and you still can’t buy it digitally 😂

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

Everything about this has been weird.

I just want to know if it's 60fps on the PS5 or not. Major oversight if not.
It just doesn't bode well that advance copies were not sent out or otherwise we'd be getting reviews by now.
So chances are high that it was just a resolution bump with some minor additions/improvements.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It just doesn't bode well that advance copies were not sent out or otherwise we'd be getting reviews by now.
So chances are high that it was just a resolution bump with some minor additions/improvements.
I mean, it takes no effort to unlock the framerate on the PS5. Especially releasing games in current year. It would be a total joke, otherwise.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

If it was worth talking about in terms of quality or the team going the extra mile then I think we all would’ve heard something by now, either through Reddit, a YouTuber etc. DeepEnigma DeepEnigma is right, this whole thing has just been straight fucking weird.

Last edited:
So is it confirmed that it will not run 60fps on PS5? Or are people just guessing?
People are assuming because the trailer is running 30 FPS and there’s no mention of frame rate anywhere. I read somewhere that the trailers for the definitive edition GTA games were also 30 FPS, but they ended up being 60 on PS5. I have no idea how true or false any of that is though.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shouldn´t it be out in Australia already?

Edit:
F3pqxpCXMAAWAgi
Negative. It's rolling out everywhere at the same "time," meaning when it goes live, these are the times in those timezones. So August 17th at 5am East Coast USA will be August 17th 9pm in New Zealand.

No region will have it sooner than any other.

So just under 7 hours, it will launch globally.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Review copies for literally the same game from 13 years ago that on PlayStation consoles is identical to the Xbox backwards compatible version?
It wasn’t identical though. I still have the physical PS3 copy and the PS3 version had lower quality textures than the 360 version. They should at least be able to upgrade that in this port.

Gonzito

So I have been playing it now on ps5 and I have the game quite fresh because I played the xbox version in Xenia at 4k recently. I can confirm This version is better

It has FSR 2.0 which means the game has TAA. This is huge because the xbox version, even at 4k, has tons of specular aliasing in certain parts of the day due to the lighting. Apart from this, the game has better shadows resolution which makes a big difference in cutscenes because the shadows in the characters faces were too low res. It has anisotropic filtering x16 too which can make a big difference when looking at the ground compared to the xbox version. And finally it has better LOD too, which helps to the image presentation and quality when looking at the distance

So basically, this port is not as lazy as we thought, there is some decent work on this. The price is still expensive tho but this is definitely the best version graphically

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Confirmed 30fps on PS5

Edit: just to be clear I did not buy this dogshit, just watching a YouTube stream.

It looks rough as absolute ass, some nice scenery but I played this game 10 years ago. Low effort remake that will sell millions.

not like this GIF
Lazy mofos can't even be fucked with unlocking the framerate since these consoles cap it at system level. It literally costs them nothing to do so.

Endless trash. This is what Take2/R* thinks of us and what gamers deserve.

Last edited:

Gonzito

Higher resolution shadows and slightly better LOD don´t make it a remaster.

Assets are still the same, texture-resolution is still low. So its just a port.

AA with 2xMSAA is better on Series X in my opinion vs. FSR2/FXAA in the PS4-Version.

TAA is always much better than MSAA because MSAA can't remove specular aliasing. This is not a matter of opinions, its just a straight up technical fact.

And let me tell you, the original RDR1 has tons of specular aliasing depending of the time of the day, it can be quite nasty

Last edited:

GHG

So I have been playing it now on ps5 and I have the game quite fresh because I played the xbox version in Xenia at 4k recently. I can confirm This version is better

It has FSR 2.0 which means the game has TAA. This is huge because the xbox version, even at 4k, has tons of specular aliasing in certain parts of the day due to the lighting. Apart from this, the game has better shadows resolution which makes a big difference in cutscenes because the shadows in the characters faces were too low res. It has anisotropic filtering x16 too which can make a big difference when looking at the ground compared to the xbox version. And finally it has better LOD too, which helps to the image presentation and quality when looking at the distance

So basically, this port is not as lazy as we thought, there is some decent work on this. The price is still expensive tho but this is definitely the best version graphically

That's nice and all but it's 30fps is it not?

So basically the xenia version with the correct hardware is still an improvement over this.

Gonzito

That's nice and all but it's 30fps is it not?

So basically the xenia version with the correct hardware is still an improvement over this.
Yes the problem is that to run the game in Xenia at 60 fps and decent resolution, you need a 3000$ computer. So yeah, lets see how the game runs on switch emulator, maybe that one becomes the best version in the new couple of days

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Yes the problem is that to run the game in Xenia at 60 fps and decent resolution, you need a 3000$ computer. So yeah, lets see how the game runs on switch emulator, maybe that one becomes the best version in the new couple of days

Yeh that might be the unexpected/unintended benefit of all of this.

I'm not complaining because either way I can play this at 4k/6pfps via my PC so I certainly won't be purchasing the PS4/5 version but if yuzu ends up running it well then I'll buy it for the Switch.

Last edited:
No 60 FPS on PS5 is a joke, makes me think they will eventually release a native PS5 port but who am I kidding? Real shame because 60fps alone would have made it worth it for me, RDR - like it's sequel - is a masterpiece.

Anchovie123

They probably wanted some sort of parity with the Series X BC version. They knew if they released it 60fps on PS5 then Xbox gamers would complain but also knew that they couldnt just re release it on Xbox because it already exists there in 4k and for much cheaper. Additionally if they were to delist the 30$ 360 version and replace it with the 50$ "Remaster" there would be mass backlash. So what if they just released the Remaster for 30$ matching the 360 version? Well that would mean the PS4 and Switch version would also need to be 30$ and they probably calculated that having the Switch and PS4 version at 50$ is probably more profitable then having a Switch, PS4 and Series version at 30$.

Et0c3-qXMAACFbx

Gonzito

No 60 FPS on PS5 is a joke, makes me think they will eventually release a native PS5 port but who am I kidding? Real shame because 60fps alone would have made it worth it for me, RDR - like it's sequel - is a masterpiece.

I think Rockstar should update this version for free in the future to offer two modes one in 60 fps. They did something similar with GTAV so I see no reason why they wouldn't do this

Metnut

Looks like playing this on OS5 is the definitive version of a classic. Once that price gets below $25 I’ll be checking this out. Too much other stuff to post right now to go in for this at $50.

Zathalus

You can do 1440p/60fps easily enough on a 4070. Don't need to spend anywhere near 3k. Of course if it's 4k/60fps you want then certainly you would need a 4080/4090 PC.

Looks like a nice upgrade from the PS3, despite being locked 30fps.
I played the original on PS3 a half dozen times through and got the Platinum, so this will be a good improvement from that shitshow port.

Tarnpanzer

TAA is always much better than MSAA because MSAA can't remove specular aliasing. This is not a matter of opinions, its just a straight up technical fact.

And let me tell you, the original RDR1 has tons of specular aliasing depending of the time of the day, it can be quite nasty

I guess you are right. But since it is using FSR2 on Playstation 4 Pro, the base resolution is likely 1440p? (and then upscaled via FSR2 to 2160p)

So only on One X and Series X its native 4K?

PS4 being 1080p just like docked Switch is offensive

Should have been 1440p then.

Very lazy port, jesus

In theory u are right, but PS4 can not give out more than 1080p.

Last edited:

Gonzito

I guess you are right. But since it is using FSR2 on Playstation 4 Pro, the base resolution is likely 1440p? (and then upscaled via FSR2 to 2160p)

So only on One X and Series X its native 4K?
It's native 4k. Digital foundry just confirmed it. It uses fsr for AA purposes only

Top Bottom