• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

W92jRsI.gif

Permanently A

We had just had one of those "I know about the alt-right and gamergate, I know about this story, but am going to pretend to not know and concern troll" people come through here. There's actually a guide on how to infiltrate communities that details this.

Many of them follow a variant of one or two predictable patterns, and some of us here have had to deal with literally hundreds of people following that guide.

Ah, I didn't know there was a whole script people followed. I honestly just wanted to know what he did. I'm familiar with Gamergate but not so much how this guy factors into it.

You serious?

11 pages is a lot of reading man

mp1990

Banned
Considering that most of /r/megaten likes to act like they are on /smt/ and have the intelligence to match, I'm really doubting that most of Persona-GAF acts the same way. I'm reminded of the one time a "Yosuke-coon" joke with a black Yosuke cosplayer got massively upvoted and the mods there simply shrugged their shoulders.

My post was a generalization of sorts but as far as my experience with these things goes, the Persona fanbase tends to attract more moderate people, while SMT gravitates towards a public where hate speech can bloom. Also, GAF is an outlier when it comes to these things, mods are usually ruthless to bigots so there's not even space for that kind of thing (not that I'm complaining, of course). But I digress :p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Twitter ain't shit.

All the people getting shit flung at them day after day, but I guess they just weren't famous enough for anybody over there to step in.

You're not even kidding. I can't believe only a high profile case like this made them do something like this, but I'm not even surprised. Despite what Twitter says, it really doesn't seem like they give a crap about people who are harassed.

Good of Leslie for fighting back and taking a stand on Twitter.

So many people act like racism is hardly a big deal and it's ultimately not that prevalent, but Twitter shows that it clearly is prevalent.

Far too many people telling her to just walk away and let the trolls do their thing until they tire out.

Good on her to fight back. I'm not sure if I'd have the energy and mental capacity to not walk away.

GamerJM

Banned
I understand people who are worried about this being a situation representative of someone with different views being banned for having those views, and were that actually the case I would be one of them, but Milo has been notorious for encouraging harassment on Twitter for years. Like, that's genuinely what he is known for doing. Speaking from an objective point of view, this has been a long time coming. I'd say he has been given more than enough chances to express his viewpoints without sending his followers to harass others, and he has instead continued over and over to disrupt the lives of people who disagree with him. He's not dumb, he knows the reach that he has as well as his audience. He knows that when he directs them to an argument, they will start to make hundreds of new accounts just to continue bothering them well after they have clicked the block button. He knows that people have suffered PTSD as a result of harassment campaigns that he has incited. Harassment never is and never will be an acceptable way to deal with things.

Good riddance.

This describes a lot of how I feel as well. "Non-platforming," doesn't really have anything to do with this, it's about harassment and hate speech.

My post was a generalization of sorts but as far as my experience with these things goes, the Persona fanbase tends to attract more moderate people, while the SMT one gravitates towards a public where hate speech can bloom. Also, GAF is an outlier when it comes to these things, mods are usually ruthless to bigots so there's not even space for that kind of thing (not that I'm complaining, of course). But I digress :p

From my interactions with the Persona fandom outside of GAF and Tumblr, it generally attracts the seedier side of the anime fandom, the sort of people who legitimately argue over waifus, usually are apart of the new alt-right.

My post was a generalization of sorts but as far as my experience with these things goes, the Persona fanbase tends to attract more moderate people, while the SMT one gravitates towards a public where hate speech can bloom. Also, GAF is an outlier when it comes to these things, mods are usually ruthless to bigots so there's not even space for that kind of thing (not that I'm complaining, of course). But I digress :p

As someone who used to spend a lot of time in communities about weird/hardcore games, I really hate that these are the same communities that foster this kind of bullshittery

Seeing this go down on Twitter (the banning not the harassment campaign) was the best thing to happen to me this week.

Also if Ben Shapiro and the like still have Twitter accounts he can't use the excuse of Twitter being a "safe-space" or "conservative no go zone" or whatever he's trying to say with his pointless woe is me routine.

And nothing of value was lost. Dude contributed nothing worthwhile, had nothing valuable to say, and was never going to be anything more than human garbage. Just an absolute waste.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, Milo has managed to contribute something of value. The #freemilo hashtag is the absolute best way to find people to avoid at all costs.

I can't anymore with those alt-right types that plagued the internet with their trolling and buzz words and teenage-boy demeanor. They were contained in their basements in 4chan and subreddits but now they're fucking everywhere. I've come across a couple of tweets from this milo and thought he was mocking these types at first but I thought wrong. How ironic.

And wouldn't you know it, his fans are storming twitter now. I hope twitter suppresses the hashtag and just ignore them.

Toxi

Banned
As someone who used to spend a lot of time in communities about weird/hardcore games, I really hate that these are the same communities that foster this kind of bullshittery
Eh, it's something every game community has. Games like Pokemon or Call of Duty are hardly "hardcore", yet they still have their nastier parts of the community.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ah, I didn't know there was a whole script people followed. I honestly just wanted to know what he did. I'm familiar with Gamergate but not so much how this guy factors into it.
Do you watch game of thrones? You know how Ramsay Bolton is with his hounds? He was that kind of kennel master to his attack dogs.

Sciz

Anyone who really needs a quick primer on what a piece of work this guy is, completely independent of his Gamergate affiliation, can catch up just by reading through a few pages of his recent Reddit posts, most of which are self-fellating AMAs in places like /The_Donald and /TheRedPill. Here's a sampler platter:

I don't think lesbians are a real thing. At least, there's only a tiny number of women who are actual lesbians. The rest are just lonely, or unhappy, or bitter, or reeling from a bad relationship. They always go back to men in the end. Sex with no penis involved isn't sex--it's a cry for help.

Ann Coulter says women shouldn't vote, because although they don't put much into the system they are the beneficiaries of all the services. So they take a "magic checks from the sky" approach to voting and always go Left. They also go Left because the Left is all about feelings and niceness and the easy, cheap solutions rather than the hard but more effective proposals. I like this argument, even though it's probably not a realistic proposal in today's world.

Western women crave real men, even though they have been telling men to soften up for decades. Now they've turned most men in the west into snivelling wretches, it's not hard to see why a swarthy, buff, hypermasculine aggressor would be seductive. These women don't care about the Koran--they're converting because they're intoxicated by their hot new brown boyfriend. Just look at Jihad Jane, Jihad Jenny or the "white widow" Samantha Lewthwaite who churns through jihadi boyfriends.

The only thing the Muslim world gets right is Saudi not letting women drive. Their road traffic accident stats must be the envy of the world! Just goes to show, you can arrive at the right conclusion for the wrong reasons.

Don't let her go on the Pill. It will make her fat and crazy. http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/08/birth-control-makes-women-unattractive-and-crazy/

We need children! The Muslim invasion is coming and they have 50 sprogs each. Have more kids!

FAT SHAMING WORKS. I was literally doing the guy a favour. http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/07/05/fat-shaming-is-good-science/

And if you're wondering why I would do it in the gym, it should be obvious: because it stings more. Think about all the people who got pissed at that picture, and how many of them thought twice before ordering a second slice of cake that night. As ever, I am one of life's givers.

Plenty of people don't particularly like Trump's attitude and personality, but they are voting for him anyway. You don't have to agree with every statement I ever make to agree that I am the most fabulous faggot ever to have lived.

Casting people out into the wilderness for one statement is what liberals do. Not centipedes!

Liberalism is a disorder produced by mediocre intelligence combined with common personality disorders, such as NPD and borderline. The more liberal someone is, the more this will be true of them.

Police officers are dying all over America, executed in some cases by thugs proclaiming that "Black Lives Matter," in apparent ignorance of the fact that most black deaths are caused by other blacks. Meanwhile, some white supporters of the BLM movement are asking whether the cops in question "deserved it."

Enter stupid fat cracker Monica Foy, a large-and-in-charge supporter of Black Lives Matter who called one of the slain officers "creepy," tweeting: “I can’t believe so many people care about a dead cop and NO ONE has thought what he did to deserve it. He had creepy perv eyes." Foy is the latest and greatest example of moronic white lard-asses who might mean well but have bought into the lies and conspiracy theories peddled by BLM organisers.

There's endless reams of this stuff on Reddit, on Breitbart, and until recently (whoops), on Twitter. He exists, like Trump, to push himself as a brand, and he does it by appealing directly to the alt-right crowd.

The less of a platform he has, the better a place the world is.

Permanently A

Do you watch game of thrones? You know how Ramsay Bolton is with his hounds? He was that kind of kennel master to his attack dogs.

I don't, but I get the idea.

That seems impossible.

the extent of my gamergate knowledge is only that zoe quinn got targeted harassment because people thought she was having sex for positive game reviews and that's where the whole "Ethics in game journalism" happened

when I say familiar I mean I'm aware of the basic concept, not that I know everyone and everything that happened.

GamerJM

Banned
Eh, it's something every game community has. Games like Pokemon or Call of Duty are hardly "hardcore", yet they still have their nastier parts of the community.

I think with weirder/more obscure games it takes up a larger portion of the fanbase. Like, most people who play Pokemon or CoD are just normal people (or children/teens honestly with those two specific series), but there are weird subsets of the fanbase. But with weird/obscure Japanese games it always seems like a very significant portion of the fanbase is composed of Channers.

It also frustrates me because as a shut-in weirdo guy who's a fan of obscure Japanese games I used to relate to a lot of those fanbases (mostly when I was a teenager) until I realized how awful those people really are.

Toxi

Banned
Anyone who really needs a quick primer on what a piece of work this guy is, completely independent of his Gunnergaffy affiliation, can catch up just by reading through a few pages of his recent Reddit posts, most of which are self-fellating AMAs in places like /The_Donald and /TheRedPill. Here's a sampler platter:

There's endless reams of this stuff on Reddit, on Breitbart, and until recently (whoops), on Twitter. He exists, like Trump, to push himself as a brand, and he does it by appealing directly to the alt-right crowd.

The less of a platform he has, the better a place the world is.
I was happier not having read this. :(

God what a piece of shit.

That seems impossible.
Nowhere near impossible, GamerGate was all over the news at that time and Milo (Thankfully) wasn't. Plenty of people knew what GamerGate was or had some general idea, especially on this board, without ever hearing of Milo.

The guy was a legit opportunistic monster. I really think he knew better deep down.

Wouldn't be surprising. No normal person will spend their time and energy orchestrating attacks/trolling/threats on social media. These trolls have some legit validation and self-worth issues and found a cult to empower them in the internet. They're really caricatures at this point.

I think with weirder/more obscure games it takes up a larger portion of the fanbase. Like, most people who play Pokemon or CoD are just normal people (or children/teens honestly with those two specific series), but there are weird subsets of the fanbase. But with weird/obscure Japanese games it always seems like a very significant portion of the fanbase is composed of Channers.

It also frustrates me because as a shut-in weirdo guy who's a fan of obscure Japanese games I used to relate to a lot of those fanbases (mostly when I was a teenager) until I realized how awful those people really are.

Exactly. And there in lies the rub; when it comes to more obscure, very Japanese games (Persona is becoming less of this but the remnants remain) you get those type of people who are indeed toxic little shit stains that get their abilities in interacting with others from the chans.

Again, most of the time I don't see this in places like Tumblr or GAF. But for Persona, I have seen it, and it is quite disgusting.

mp1990

Banned

I can relate, I used to be big into the JoJo and SMT fanbases until I realized that those were basically composed of human garbage and I didn't had to allow these people to reach me with their disgusting reasoning just because of a fucking game.

I can relate, I used to be big into the JoJo and SMT fanbases until I realized that those were basically composed of human garbage and I didn't had to allow these people to reach me with their disgusting reasoning just because of a fucking game.

Yeah. Stuff like SMT/Persona, JoJo, Danganronpa, stuff that is popular but not in the popular zeitgeist are rife with people like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom