• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Eh, it's something every game community has. Games like Pokemon or Call of Duty are hardly "hardcore", yet they still have their nastier parts of the community.

At least Pokemon and Call of Duty fanbases don't fall over each other with their dicks out whenever some animated girl shows up on screen while screaming "waifu waifu waifu" to the high heavens. (Recent persona 5 info come to mind, just read the thread)

Nor do they throw a "censorship!" temper tantrum and start harassment campaigns if devs or pubs choose to remove panty shots of 13 year old characters or if some sideboobs are emphasized less.

But that's just my anecdotal experience with some of the fans with (usually Japanese) games with (pandering) female characters in them.

/off topic

Gattsu25

Banned
But yer oppressin his free speech fookin feminazi SJdoubleyoos /s

Yeah, funny how that always comes up.

It's like people don't actually know what free speech or the 1st amendment even are.

Tn9ARMP.png

https://xkcd.com/1357/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone who really needs a quick primer on what a piece of work this guy is, completely independent of his Gamergate affiliation, can catch up just by reading through a few pages of his recent Reddit posts, most of which are self-fellating AMAs in places like /The_Donald and /TheRedPill. Here's a sampler platter:

There's endless reams of this stuff on Reddit, on Breitbart, and until recently (whoops), on Twitter. He exists, like Trump, to push himself as a brand, and he does it by appealing directly to the alt-right crowd.

The less of a platform he has, the better a place the world is.
The thing is, he's a troll.

If he were on GAF, he'd be considered a "joke character". He's got a schtick and he hammers the same button each and every time. If it's inflammatory, he'll say it. And not necessarily because he believes it ideologically, but because he gets a thrill each and every time he pisses someone off. You can see the gears turning in his head: he loves to be a contrarian and destroy sacred cows and he gets his jollies from it.

I honestly think he'd be a lefty crusader if the right controlled culture in the 2010s. But liberalism is the mainline norm, so that's what he's going to be a contrarian against.

So I'd say... Don't get mad at Milo. That's what he wants..

Shun him. Ignore him. Scoff at him. Fight him. Ban him. No problem. But don't get worked up over him. It's exactly what he wants.

Milo is one of those people who I like to think of as a sociopath purely because I can't contemplate how a normally-functioning brain can be that evil. He just lives and breathes hatred and seems to get joy out of nothing but causing weaker people suffering. He seems like a legitimate sadist, someone who gets physical pleasure from inflicting pain.

Other than that I don't have a problem with him.

At least Pokemon and Call of Duty fanbases don't fall over each other with their dicks out whenever some animated girl shows up on screen while screaming "waifu waifu waifu" to the high heavens.

Nor do they throw a "censorship!" temper tantrum and start harassment campaigns if devs or pubs choose to remove panty shots of 13 year old characters or if some sideboobs are emphasized less.

But that's just my anecdotal experience with some of the fans with (usually Japanese) games with (pandering) female characters in them.

/off topic

:/ so I found out who he was a few hours ago. I tweeted in support of Leslie and about a hundred of his followers and defenders have been camped out in my mentions hurling insults :/

marrec

Banned
At least Pokemon and Call of Duty fanbases don't fall over each other with their dicks out whenever some animated girl shows up on screen while screaming "waifu waifu waifu" to the high heavens. (Recent persona 5 info come to mind, just read the thread)

/off topic

Preach

but ya, /tangent

I'm so glad this Ghostbusters reboot existed. Even when I have zero interest in it I am just so glad.

OVER FUCKING GHOSTBUSTERS.

LOL

Toxi

Banned
Seems like dude has a ton of support.

Freemilo is trending.
If you look at the actual number of people posting it, it's probably not that much. It's just that those people will spam it on every message they post and will post a ridiculous number of times.

See #gamergate

Nanashrew

Banned
The thing is, he's a troll.

If he were on GAF, he'd be considered a "joke character". He's got a schtick and he hammers the same button each and every time. If it's inflammatory, he'll say it. And not necessarily because he believes it ideologically, but because he gets a thrill each and every time he pisses someone off. You can see the gears turning in his head: he loves to be a contrarian and destroy sacred cows and he gets his jollies from it.

I honestly think he'd be a lefty crusader if the right controlled culture in the 2010s. But liberalism is the mainline norm, so that's what he's going to be a contrarian against.

So I'd say... Don't get mad at Milo. That's what he wants..

Shun him. Ignore him. Scoff at him. Fight him. Ban him. No problem. But don't get worked up over him. It's exactly what he wants.

That's going to be harder. Milo is a serial abuser/harasser type, and they have much lower standards than a typical troll. Even a sigh is enough to make them happy because they know they're getting to you. They're self sustaining due to their lower standards. And there are a lot of them out there on social media and much of them follow Milo and other high profile harassers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm so glad this Ghostbusters reboot existed. Even when I have zero interest in it I am just so glad.

OVER FUCKING GHOSTBUSTERS.

LOL
In with a fabricated sex scandal about Videogames, out with a female-led Ghostbusters reboot.

Absurd in, absurd out.

dity

Nowhere near impossible, GamerGate was all over the news at that time and Milo (Thankfully) wasn't. Plenty of people knew what GamerGate was or had some general idea, especially on this board, without ever hearing of Milo.

That just seems silly to me tbh. Especially here, where he always seems to get brought up at some point.

Media

:/ so I found out who he was a few hours ago. I tweeted in support of Leslie and about a hundred of his followers and defenders have been camped out in my mentions hurling insults :/

I knew who he was, but same thing happened to me. Tweeted in response to a celeb talking about how fucked up it was, suddenly I'm super popular with crazy alt right people.

AlphaOmegaSin (gaming Youtuber) is on Twitter defending Milo. However going by his posts I think he may be uninformed. We'll see.

Toxi

Banned
That just seems silly to me tbh. Especially here, where he always seems to get brought up at some point.
There was so much to talk about in GamerGate threads back when it was at its worst that Milo Yiannopolos wasn't that prominent as a subject.

Like yeah, he was shitty, but so were a bunch of other shitty people to talk about as well.
AlphaOmegaSin (gaming Youtuber) is on Twitter defending Milo. However going by his posts I think he may be uninformed. We'll see.
AlphaOmegaSin defending Milo does not surprise me in the slightest.

devilhawk

Absolutely no problem with a company banning a guy like Milo and people like him on a company's service. They need to now ban people celebrating and encouraging cop killers and also ISIS accounts. Which would seem obvious.

SoulUnison

Banned
As a gay man, I get livid when people think I hold anything in common with him besides what I have no control over.

"He's fighting for you!"

He's fighting for the spotlight, and throwing every group he claims to represent under the bus to get more of it.

rjcc

Milo is one of those people who I like to think of as a sociopath purely because I can't contemplate how a normally-functioning brain can be that evil. He just lives and breathes hatred and seems to get joy out of nothing but causing weaker people suffering. He seems like a legitimate sadist, someone who gets physical pleasure from inflicting pain.

Other than that I don't have a problem with him.

I don't think he's any of those things. He figured out a cheap way to get attention and kept pressing the button. Enjoying causing pain doesn't even register, he just doesn't care.

One day I'm actually just going to do a search for every post on GAF that starts with "Well, I don't know anything about GamerGate, but" and build a collection. It's like a fucking script.

I was just about to say this. It was a constant stream of "I'm just asking questions, look at this Youtube video though."

The really incredible part was that every now and then you'd get someone trying to pull this stuff weeks or even months after people caught on to this nonsense. Like they discovered some long lost memo on the internet or something.

Toxi

Banned
As a gay man, I get livid when people think I hold anything in common with him besides what I have no control over.

"He's fighting for you!"

He's fighting for the spotlight, and throwing every group he claims to represent under the bus to get more of it.
Wow, it's fucking awful people are saying this.

Milo's a homophobe. He doesn't think same-sex couples should raise children for crying out loud.

dity

There was so much to talk about in GamerGate threads back when it was at its worst that Milo Yiannopolos wasn't that prominent as a subject.

Like yeah, he was shitty, but so were a bunch of other shitty people to talk about as well.

Yeah, but it's been a couple of years since then and basically every GG thing that pops up is usually him inciting something. If you're still not aware of him until now you've got to have been living under a huge rock.

Permanently A

Yeah, but it's been a couple of years since then and basically every GG thing that pops up is usually him inciting something. If you're still not aware of him until now you've got to have been living under a huge rock.

...or not paying much attention to gamergate?

rrs

Is Twitter finally ready to take a stand on harassment or was this a one time thing?
we will find out soon
that twitter doesn't still give two fucks about removing shitholes unless they piss off someone that makes twitter money

Sciz

So I'd say... Don't get mad at Milo. That's what he wants.

Oh, sure. He's written an entire article (which I don't care to link) about how famous he is and how people getting mad at him is the cornerstone of his celebrity. I'm well aware of his angle. And his biggest avenue for exploiting it just got stapled shut. It's a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom