• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain @ SDCC | Paper Mario: Color Splash - 10 minutes of Dark Bloo Inn

Holy crap, the Soundtrack is jaw droppingly amazing, even better than Sticker Star.

Edit: Also, is just me or do they actually draw attention to the fact that mario just murdered a sledge bro?

Neiteio

I x'd out within the first 30 seconds when the first NPC he encounters is yet another goddamn Toad

This series is dead

rhandino

Banned
That Music

That Style

That sense of humour

8IiYyvJ.gif

Kinsei

Banned
A haunted level with no friendly boos in sight and the one ghost toad is just glowy.

The battle theme is hilariously out of place.

Yeah, just like SS, the mansion was the only cool thing about it. But still. Generic toads, generic enemies. No creativity outside of the dialogue, maybe.

They tried to (again) fix a series that wasn't even broken.

udivision

Why does it seem like half of the development team is nailing it and the other half has no clue what they're doing? Goodness, it's so weird.

TheJoRu

That soundtrack, goodness gracious.

This game feels like the equivalent of what The Thousand-Year Door was compared to the original, but in this case in comparison to Sticker Star; prettier, more interesting setting and an improved formula overall. Which could be...quite good?

MissingString

Neo Member
Hard to get a good sense of the battles when the gamepad wasn't shown, but I'm not really digging this. The puzzles seemed boring and the NPCs were bland and uninteresting.

What exactly is the purpose of the optional battles again? Is there a reason to engage in them? It looked like Mario just avoided that first one by jumping on the baddie and went on his merry way. If all encounters can be avoided like that, or they don't provide anything particularly useful, why bother with them?

The game looks lovely though, and the special attacks are pretty hilarious. Watching this still just has me scratching my head and wondering, "Why isn't this an RPG again?"

Still not a buy for me. The moment to moment gameplay just looks really dull.

Real Hero

To be fair, it is a little disappointing that NPCs seem to be dominated by Toads who all share a similar look. The Toads in TTYD had distinct looks.

I agree but it's not something to dismiss the game entirely over. The game seems to have a lot of character despite that

Neiteio

Aside from the game's lazy cast of characters (starring: Toad, Toad, Toad, and more Toad), the hammer mechanic looks uninspired.

A short smack and a small splash of goo isn't exactly gratifying feedback for something you'll do over and over again.

"We just wanted to differentiate Paper Mario from M&L."

1) Nobody asked you to do that.

2) If you're going to do that, just take battles out of PM. They're a fucking waste of time as is and you'd be better off making all of the gameplay action/puzzle platforming.

3) You can differentiate PM from M&L by making PM an action/puzzle platformer without removing the soul of PM.

4) Nobody asked you to fuckin do it.

Marow

I honestly like what I see. Seems like an improvement over Sticker Star and the music seems even better (though the battle theme featured here feels a bit out of place).

The fact it's all Toads, though, is such a big shame. I really don't get the choice.

TI82

Banned
I honestly like what I see. Seems like an improvement over Sticker Star and the music seems even better (though the battle theme featured here feels a bit out of place).

The fact it's all Toads, though, is such a big shame. I really don't get the choice.

Budget reasons most likely. If everyone is a toad your artists spend much less time working on them.

Neiteio

It's so you don't remember any of the characters you meet. It's innovation in RPGs, and another way to differentiate Paper Mario from Mario & Luigi.

Neiteio

It's weird seeing you being snarky negative. :p
It's just Paper Mario and Federation Force (and elsewhere, Sony's stubborn refusal to allow cross-platform play with Rocket League, Gwent, etc).

In other Nintendo news, I'm still a bubbling font of optimism and enthusiasm. I love what I'm seeing with Zelda BotW, Pokemon Sun and Moon, etc.

TrueBlue

It's just Paper Mario and Federation Force (and elsewhere, Sony's stubborn refusal to allow cross-platform play with Rocket League, Gwent, etc).

In other Nintendo news, I'm still a bubbling font of optimism and enthusiasm. I love what I'm seeing with Zelda BotW, Pokemon Sun and Moon, etc.

Oh I'm sure, it just always takes me by surprise when you go against the grain haha

Yukinari

All this amazing music and art direction wasted on a game with extremely bland characters wrapped up in a battle system that is still just sticker star.

I dont know what i expected when i clicked the video cause ive had the same opinion since the very first trailer.

Neiteio

Oh I'm sure, it just always takes me by surprise when you go against the grain haha
It's entirely possible I may end up seeing redeeming value in these games. I thought I would hate Star Fox Zero prior to release, but now it's my favorite game in the series.

But man, from where I'm standing, it's hard to see Color Splash and Federation Force turning out good.

Christ @ even Neiteio calling this game out. Dude's usually one of the most optimistic and excited guys around here.

This is a trainwreck in the making.

TI82

Banned

Yep, those look great despite (modern) Nintendo's bumbling. Hopefully breath of the wild is a sign of things to come and not just an outlier

TrueBlue

It's entirely possible I may end up seeing redeeming value in these games. I thought I would hate Star Fox Zero prior to release, but now it's my favorite game in the series.

But man, from where I'm standing, it's hard to see Color Splash and Federation Force turning out good.

Ah, I hope I didn't come off as patronising/combative, you don't have to justify yourself. I completely get it, especially with regards to Federation Force.

Neiteio

Ah, I hope I didn't come off as patronising/combative, you don't have to justify yourself. I completely get it, especially with regards to Federation Force.
Oh, I didn't take it as combative. And hey, for the people who like these games, I'm cool with that.

I just need to vent about them (the games) because it's like Nintendo gave it their best effort to create the exact opposite of what I want. It's bordering on caricature or parody at this point with the Metroid and Paper Mario franchises.

Top Bottom