• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder | Review Thread

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Not bad for NSMB DLC!

Until I play it for myself, I am gonna say it is Nintendo Bias that is causing this game's aggregate to be 90+. It is fluid and charming but this is just madness.

I don't think that's a fair thing to say because their games are gens behind from a tech standpoint compared to the others.

Its easier to pump out games when you don't need to worry about keeping up with graphics, fps, ray tracing, etc.

We should really make a bingo card for these threads.

Seriously, imagine a 2D Mario being a good game!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I still think this clearly has its roots deep in the New Super series, just with some nice freshening of the models & controls/weight, plus some new level gimmicks and a huge slop of paint on top.

Not that it's a bad thing, but all the "this is the real Super Mario 5" responses are bizarre to me; if you skipped the New Super games due to their style alone, you won't realize how continuous this looks with that prior series.

Anyhow, I compared, and for the outlets (so far) who reviewed New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Wonder, here's how their scores compare:

rated NSMBW higher
NintendoLife (100 vs 90)

rated both equal (within 2 points)
Destructoid (90/90)
IGN (89/90)
Vandal (95/95)
SpazioGames (91/90)

rated Wonder higher
Gamespot (85 vs 90)
XGN (83 vs 87)
GamesRadar+ (70 vs 100)
Metro GameCentral (70 vs 100)
Meristation (90 vs 95)

So... you have IGN and Destructoid giving this and NSMBW the same exact rating, at least one major Nintendo site which actually gave more hype to NSMBW, then a lot of outlets with indistinguishable scores, and just a few big leaps (GamesRadar and Metro).

To me it looks like it has some great new ideas mixed in for variety, but still very incremental in the New Super line of games (with mostly the same dev team & directors, too). But I actually like the NSMB series overall, so that's not bad.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Not only did I know it would score this high but I think it has to be considered for the best 2D platformer of all time. To me it's between this and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Bare in mind as well that I really disliked the New Super Mario Bros games, I tolerated the first one but didn't like the rest.
What sets it apart from the New series? It looks very similar based on reviews and gameplay clips.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To me it looks like it has some great new ideas mixed in for variety, but still very incremental in the New Super line of games (with mostly the same dev team & directors, too). But I actually like the NSMB series overall, so that's not bad.
Was Mario Sunshine just a continuation of Mario 64? Was Mario Galaxy just a continuation of Mario Sunshine? "nice refreshing of the models & controls/weight, plus some new level gimmicks and a huge slop of paint on top" is broad enough that it could easily describe the differences between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, or really any game and a subsequent sequel most of the time.

The "New" series was obviously riding the nostalgia wave and giving people what they had been asking for, a new 2D platformer Mario game. To me the level design, look and feel, power ups, etc. all felt like they were extremely safe and designed by committee. Meanwhile, this game has actual charm, smart levels, great visuals, and overall it's just fun to play. The first four 2D Mario games had an incredible amount of whimsy that was almost totally stripped out of the "New" games in favor of appealing to member berries, but it's back in Mario Wonder.

The people saying "this feels like the real Mario 5" are only saying that because this game feels like a return to form for 2D Mario that we haven't seen since the SNES days. This isn't trying to be a nostalgia cash grab, it's trying to be a competent 2D Mario platformer.

Astral Dog

Not bad for NSMB DLC!

We should really make a bingo card for these threads.

Seriously, imagine a 2D Mario being a good game!
Honestly,even Mario bros U was a very good platformer and that one was rushed for launch, they even reused Wii assets

Super Mario Wonder had the time to be cooked to perfection, this team always had the talent to stand out but were held back by a modest budget and little time (and a little corporate greed)
I still think this clearly has its roots deep in the New Super series, just with some nice freshening of the models & controls/weight, plus some new level gimmicks and a huge slop of paint on top.

Not that it's a bad thing, but all the "this is the real Super Mario 5" responses are bizarre to me; if you skipped the New Super games due to their style alone, you won't realize how continuous this looks with that prior series.

Anyhow, I compared, and for the outlets (so far) who reviewed New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Wonder, here's how their scores compare:

rated NSMBW higher
NintendoLife (100 vs 90)

rated both equal (within 2 points)
Destructoid (90/90)
IGN (89/90)
Vandal (95/95)
SpazioGames (91/90)

rated Wonder higher
Gamespot (85 vs 90)
XGN (83 vs 87)
GamesRadar+ (70 vs 100)
Metro GameCentral (70 vs 100)
Meristation (90 vs 95)

So... you have IGN and Destructoid giving this and NSMBW the same exact rating, at least one major Nintendo site which actually gave more hype to NSMBW, then a lot of outlets with indistinguishable scores, and just a few big leaps (GamesRadar and Metro).

Nothing wrong with that bro, new Super Mario bros Wii was an excellent platformer, Wonder is even better 🙌

Cashon

Banned
New kingdom, new enemies, no time limit, new power ups, no clusterfuck MP, the badge system, LSD seeds, new types of levels...
All of that could be said for each "New" game, except for time limit, badges and multiplayer, all of which seem designed to make the game more appealing for a broader audience (my girlfriend hates the timer in the other games).

The wonder seeds feel like a psychological trick (that's working) to make people think it's more fresh than it is (the New games also had different segments within a stage, usually as secrets).

There are absolutely differences between say, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and New Super Mario Bros. 2. But, despite those differences, you still feel like you're mostly playing the same game. I'm suggesting that this looks like it would largely feel the same as the New series and I'm trying to ascertain what makes it feel different to play for an experienced player like myself.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
All of that could be said for each "New" game, except for time limit, badges and multiplayer, all of which seem designed to make the game more appealing for a broader audience (my girlfriend hates the timer in the other games).

The wonder seeds feel like a psychological trick (that's working) to make people think it's more fresh than it is (the New games also had different segments within a stage, usually as secrets).

There are absolutely differences between say, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and New Super Mario Bros. 2. But, despite those differences, you still feel like you're mostly playing the same game. I'm suggesting that this looks like it would largely feel the same as the New series and I'm trying to ascertain what makes it feel different to play for an experienced player like myself.

Yay! The goalpost game! Love it.

3BuXnMV.gif

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The "New" series was obviously riding the nostalgia wave and giving people what they had been asking for, a new 2D platformer Mario game. To me the level design, look and feel, power ups, etc. all felt like they were extremely safe and designed by committee.
I think NSMBW/U both had some pretty fantastic levels once you get into the game, but the presentation made some players ignore it.

The Wii game had many levels that were clearly made for alternative speed-running or challenge concepts, and they even included videos like this one (one of the many unlockable "hint" videos) to show how creative you could be--in this case by skipping the moving platform and using a 4-stage rocket to reach the top in multiplayer:

This isn't trying to be a nostalgia cash grab, it's trying to be a competent 2D Mario platformer

That isn't a fair characterization of NSMB series at all, particularly after the first game. Read the many interviews with the man himself Takashi Tezuka, who worked on the games with real passion and has been doing Mario level design since the very beginning of the series, pivotal developer on all the NES/SNES classics.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I have the worst predictions of late...

If anyone wants Alan Wake 2 to be game of the year, make sure to tell me to give it a low review score prediction. I think I'll deliver at this rate.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So nothing then?

You're right man, I forgot how many Mario games take place in The Flower Kingdom. I forgot how many of the 2D games have a purple coin currency to buy items. I forgot how many entries have a drill hat. Dude I listed differences, but you had to pull the "Acthually" shit :messenger_grinning_smiling: If that wasn't good enough for you then oh well.

P8FP3HA.gif

Robb

Gold Member
I haven’t played it yet and I’m actively avoiding spoilers. But we already know there are levels that take away your ability to jump. Levels that are designed around stealth. Etc. Etc.

That’s already more variety than any of the NSMB games offered, thanks to the Wonder seed mechanic. Based on that and the glowing scores I’m not sure your theory is true.

We’ll know on Friday though!

Last edited:

K' Dash

cover3.jpg

I love how Kinda Funny guys mentioned "Nintendo magic" like 20 times. game where you jump ?
Xbox, Playstation or anyone else in the industry doesn't have that magic ? what a joke.
I would understand getting hyped for a 3D Mario but 2D Mario lol
also, Blessing from Kinds Funny saying "oh Spiderman got good scores, nice, but when I see Mario getting good scores I'm like "let's goo" "
when does Mario not get a good score and why are you on a playstation podcast ?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So what your saying is innovative gameplay is the most important thing in a game.hmmm.
It's Super Mario World 2 Starring HI I'M DAISY from the Super Mario Series.

Also worth mentioning Nintendo didn't set a deadline for their developers to finish the game in a certain timeframe so they took the time to make a good game.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think fans of this kind of game should be pretty happy. But wherever it lands and however it's scores compared to another game of whatever type it is, I would only really compare this to games of its type in the genre. There's no point in trying to say this is a 94 or whatever, and assume it's automatically better than something else. That scores lower but that has much more depth. That's why it's hard for me to even consider this some kind of game of the year when it's a game we've already played. That could be as polished as it's been, but isn't exactly innovating in a grand way, even though it's fun. That being said, I think you can justify giving the score but just don't die on a hill where you somehow magically compare this to a bigger, harder game to make with more polished story and characters and a more diverse world that isn't as easy to make as what you see here in this game. Enjoy it but just temper yourself not to get into that level of hyperbole.

Hudo

Why? It’s been over 10 years since we got a new one. Shouldn’t be surprising it’s getting hyped.

I’m stoked!
This. And 2D Mario games are still very, very good platformers (most of them, anyway). If people really lament that this is a "2D" game then they should also, consequently, shit on every fucking indie game as well (especially the "pixel art" ones) since these are 2D as well.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I love how Kinda Funny guys mentioned "Nintendo magic" like 20 times. game where you jump ?
Xbox, Playstation or anyone else in the industry doesn't have that magic ? what a joke.
I would understand getting hyped for a 3D Mario but 2D Mario lol
also, Blessing from Kinds Funny saying "oh Spiderman got good scores, nice, but when I see Mario getting good scores I'm like "let's goo" "
when does Mario not get a good score and why are you on a playstation podcast ?

All of those guys are phony, corpo douchebags and you should try not to give a shit about any of their opinions about anything

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't think that's a fair thing to say because their games are gens behind from a tech standpoint compared to the others.

Its easier to pump out games when you don't need to worry about keeping up with graphics, fps, ray tracing, etc.
Then why others don't do the same? If it's that... easy, you know...

I'm still wondering whether I should get this one or not in the short term.

nial

Gold Member
I still don't like the art style, but the gameplay itself looks quite great. I probably won't be able to play it this year, but I'm excited to see more of it.

Sojiro

I was already in from that first trailer, but it's good to see this is doing well with reviews too. I fucking love the way this looks, Friday can't get here soon enough!

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
I am oddly hyped for this, and I say that because I usually never get hyped for platformers anymore, but this looks great to me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are there any accessibility features for small kids or people not used to these types of games?
You can play as either Yoshi (multiple colors!) or Nabbit, and they cannot take damage from enemies. There is also a badge you unlock pretty early on that enables ! blocks that typically cover a lot of the games trickier pits. Together these make the game easy enough that I think most people could play and enjoy it.

MacReady13

OK there are TOO MANY games now. Will somebody think of my wallet.
Just sub to the best value in gaming and you never have to worry about playing any games on Nintendo or Sony day 1!
In all seriousness though, this has been a stellar year for gaming. It's been a pleasure to see the big N come up with 2 game of the year contenders, showing that a powerful gaming unit is not what is ONLY needed for great games and great gameplay.

Top Bottom