• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

Seriously loving all the wildlife and even mech enemies we've seen so far. They fit so naturally in the world, just like the monsters in XII do.

Me too. I miss these exaggerated magic effects. I'm currently playing through FF XII and my god the magic effects are so boring. Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga look like early spells from ther other FFs.
And to think this is just the beginning we still haven't seen royal magic nor gotten a good look at thunder other than the platinum demo, we only got a glimpse of the magic mixing. Can't wait

pablito

That gif of Noctis running toward Aadamantoise....wow. These fights are going to be nuts. If Bahamut is in the game and you fight him...sweet baby jesus.

DeSolos

There should be a setting to enable it for mobile. Maybe it's disabled right now.

Maybe it's due to a copyright claim on the video. Like if they showed FFXV trailer footage they might have gotten auto copyright claimed by SE.

benzy

Maybe it's due to a copyright claim on the video. Like if they showed FFXV trailer footage they might have gotten auto copyright claimed by SE.

The original official Siggraph upload was hit with a copyright claim for Germany viewers. I re-uploaded it unlisted in the OP so I'm not sure why Garrett isn't able to view it. It should tell him if there was a copyright claim but he mentions it just says it's unavailable.

FerDS

The original official Siggraph upload was hit with a copyright claim for Germany viewers. I re-uploaded it unlisted in the OP so I'm not sure why Garrett isn't able to view it. It should tell him if there was a copyright claim but he mentions it just says it's unavailable.

I have the same problem, can't view it on mobile, but it works on desktop

benzy

I have the same problem, can't view it on mobile, but it works on desktop

I can view it on mobile in US. I just checked the settings and it appears to have been hit with a copyright claim though. I'll update the OP with the siggraph page link.

artsi

That's terrifying, lol.

J7J2wfi.gif

benzy

Overview of AI/Animation Systems

1Xz5qV3.jpg

From a workflow perspective, the skillsets involved in making character behaviors are: animation, game design, and programming. Animators should spend time and effort on the visual quality. Game designers have their strong intention of the gameplay directly leading into the user experience. Programmers are focused on the implementation in way that also allows for scalability and extensibility. From the beginning, we planned to build data-driven systems for the animators and the designers.

Node-based graph systems in the animation area are now widely used in many game engines [Epic Games, Inc. ; NaturalMotion]. However, these graphs grow larger and larger as development progresses and gameplay-specific features stream into the graph. To avoid this common situation, we add another data-driven graph system in between AI and animation encapsulating the complexity of AnimGraphs. The abstract states of actions are managed in this level, which we call Body Graph. We designed it as a beneficial system for programmers to organize characters’ behaviors and movements.

The beauty of this three layer architecture is that we can design tools and specifications on a user-centric basis because it is obvious to define the expected skills and knowledge of the users and tastes of usability for each system.

AI Graph Editor

The users of AI Graph Editor can make graphs composed with hierarchical finite state machines (HFSMs) [Millington and Funge 2009] and behavior trees [Isla 2005]. You can seamlessly assemble those two systems with this novel hybrid architecture to exploit the advantages of each system according to the situations. AI Graph supports the unique concepts of parallel node and interrupt node. Sometimes, natural behavior and thought can be observed as doing multiple things at once: for example, waving a hand during walking, and thinking about the next target while attacking another enemy. We can intuitively implement these behaviors with the nodes.

AnimGraph Editor

The animation system provides a lot of advanced features which contribute to motions adaptive to the environment and help avoid the users feeling a sense of Deja Vu. Various inverse kinematics techniques, physics based animation, secondary bone systems, and parts blending are implemented in the game engine.

Generally speaking, it is strenuous for animators to understand the full functionality of those systems. Moreover, there is the risk of introducing complexity into AnimGraphs due to the complexity of controlling the status and the parameters of the multiple systems concurrently. We added a feature to deal with these issues.

Body Graphs

Body Graphs are usually created with HFSMs. Some of the states in the graphs are driven with procedural systems which require composite character controls such as swimming on the ocean, sliding on a steep slope, mounting onto an animal for transportation, etc. Programmers can implement these in a modular and reusable manner coordinated with programs.

Use Case

In this section, we present a use case of a monster in a battle. First, to increase the reality of monsters, the visual ability of AI is simulated. The target of the enemy is selected from a weighted list of targets based on the visual information. How we select the target is parameterized according to each monster type. This target selection system is registered by placing a node onto the AI Graph of the monster. This target is generally used to decide next attack target. After the decision is done, the AI finds a way to the target. Using a point query system [Jack 2013] and a navigation system [Buckland 2004], the AI determines the optimal path leading to the situation.
Calculated speed and turning ratio are written into the blackboard variables as desired speed and rotation. The AnimGraph in turn uses those values as inputs for motion blending. The three graph systems have a templating system, so the same graph can be used as a module of the character. Specific logic of the template can be overridden with a similar system of inheritance as often seen in programming languages.

Conclusion

The characteristics of the various characters that appear in Final Fantasy XV are designed with these AI and animation systems. The effective toolchain and concept of three data-driven systems; AI Graph, Body Graph, and AnimGraph help to realize the fascinating user experience.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2927449

HospitableDecimalAnemoneshrimp-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

DeSolos

giphy.gif

Lmao wth prompto

As ridiculous as his battle style is, it's an insane technical achievement that they're able to blend all those animations so well. In most action games it looks like a bunch of characters playing animations at each other. But in this completely dynamic shot, it looks almost like someone purposefully animated this scene to work this way.

Like, if Prompto was in a fight scene in a cutscene or CG movie, I'd expect the fight to be choreographed like this(more polished of course, but this is damn close).

Koozek

As ridiculous as his battle style is, it's an insane technical achievement that they're able to blend all those animations so well. In most action games it looks like a bunch of characters playing animations at each other. But in this completely dynamic shot, it looks almost like someone purposefully animated this scene to work this way.

Like, if Prompto was in a fight scene in a cutscene or CG movie, I'd expect the fight to be choreographed like this(more polished of course, but this is damn close).

When it works well, it's really impressive, yeah. But of course there will be moments of jank and jitter when too many characters are colliding and bumping into each other during combat etc. Nonetheless, extremely cool things they're doing with dynamic interactions.

The two devs yesterday even said Prompto was especially hard to implement because of his constant and hectic movement.

wmlk

Seriously, compare Ellie running around in The Last Of Us compared to Prompto, who intelligently moves around the environment and manages to dodge stuff like he actually should. And that game had one AI character for a very large majority of the game.

Obviously the combat scenarios are different and TLOU is more stealth based. It would likely have been a different approach altogether, but you can see the effort here and the difference that it makes.

When it works well, it's really impressive, yeah. But of course there will be moments of jank and jitter when too many characters are colliding and bumping into each other during combat etc. Nonetheless, extremely cool things they're doing with dynamic interactions.

The two devs yesterday even said Prompto was especially hard to implement because of his constant and hectic movement.

His technique here is like a mix of capoeira and three stooges. And yeah, animation blending is darn impressive.

Like they nailed blending his animations with his character. We know prompto is alil inexperienced compared to the others so it's hilarious seeing him try his hardest

Top Bottom