• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2010 Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtones

Banned
SuperÑ said:
Taskbar on the right is the way to go. So comfy!

uY1Vl.png

No way man, taskbar on the left!

Threi

notag
Yoboman said:
Okay is it just me or is rainmeter a ridiculous resource hog?
34zd5xj.jpg

It's just you...unless you consider 2% CPU usage (skin dependent, the skin I'm using uses more than normal...its usually in the 0-1% CPU range) a ridiculous waste of resources i mean.

Kawaii

Uncensored image please? :p

akidrb.jpg

Running on 1440x900. Made the wallpaper from a painting of some Artist i ran into.
I can upload 1280x800 and 1440x900 versions if anyone wants them.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Threi said:
34zd5xj.jpg

It's just you...unless you consider 2% CPU usage (skin dependent, the skin I'm using uses more than normal...its usually in the 0-1% CPU range) a ridiculous waste of resources i mean.
I dunno man, when I booted it up the first time yesterday my PC slowed to a crawl. First time it has done that since I built it. And whenever doing anything in the Omnimo layout, it's really sluggish

j-wood

Sweet, I've got an awesome custom theme installed. What are the chances that these custom explorer.exe's we are using from random people are like a beacon for trojans or something?

Threi

notag
j-wood said:
Sweet, I've got an awesome custom theme installed. What are the chances that these custom explorer.exe's we are using from random people are like a beacon for trojans or something?
Not very high, but I also hate using other people's explorer.exe. I assume though that it's just for a custom start orb icon and if it's that just use the orb changer in the OP.
Yoboman said:
I dunno man, when I booted it up the first time yesterday my PC slowed to a crawl. First time it has done that since I built it. And whenever doing anything in the Omnimo layout, it's really sluggish
Omnimo with everything on probably will kill resources, i mean its like 20 different independent icons that change state on hover, with a fullscreen transparent PNG. At the very least I suggest to take out the transparent background, and see if that alone helps. If nothing else just add the icons one by one (empty theme wit just the gallery loaded), because on their own they don't take much resources.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Decided to go nuts and do a complete desktop makeover - right now I am just struggling to get it to work/look good on 2 monitors, my current hurdle though is trying to get clockweather to work with my location, can't figure out what to do to make it work =/. Any help? Live in Toronto, Ontario if it's any help.

Edit:

NM, I don't suck soo much, figured it out.

Kinitari said:
Decided to go nuts and do a complete desktop makeover - right now I am just struggling to get it to work/look good on 2 monitors, my current hurdle though is trying to get clockweather to work with my location, can't figure out what to do to make it work =/. Any help? Live in Toronto, Ontario if it's any help.

Edit:

NM, I don't suck soo much, figured it out.

You wouldn't happen to know how to use two different wallpapers for a dual monitor setup? cannot figure it out and its driving me crazy lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Mr Nightman said:
You wouldn't happen to know how to use two different wallpapers for a dual monitor setup? cannot figure it out and its driving me crazy lol

Having the same problem dude, sorry - can't help =/.

Jordan

Mr Nightman said:
Well thanks anyways, well does anybody have a clue how to use different wallpapers for dual monitors?

You need to use a program, I know of two but both you have to pay for.

UltraMon and DisplayFusion

Hope this is helpful.

Rickard

I downloaded one, extracted it and moved the folder to themes in resources.

Now it's just not showing up when I try to turn it on.

bolbronx

Rickard said:

You need to patch your system if you wanna use third party themes.

Im guessing its the visual styles your talking about?

Rickard said:

Sorry for the really late reply.

Step 1: Download UXstyle from the OP and use it, restart your system. This is important.
Step 2: Download themes from DeviantArt.
Step 3: Extract theme from ZIP/RAR to "C:\Windows\Resources\themes". Make sure you do this correctly. If you see a .theme file, extract from there.
Step 4: Rightclick your desktop, go to Personalize. Click the Advanced button.
Step 5: OKAY, this is the bit where it can get tricky. Some (most) theme developers forget to change the name of the theme so your newly installed theme can (and most likely will) come up as a combo of "Vista Basic" and "Vista Aero" styles. If you're lucky Windows will format the demo at the top with your theme, sometimes it does not so you have to Apply each one to find your one.
Step 6: Optional: This depends on the theme. Sometimes theme developers have lots of different versions of the theme in the form of a bunch of folders called "Shell". The proper format of a theme is this:

Code:
- ThemeName/
	- Shell/
	- Shell/en-US
		- fileNameICantRemember.file
	- ThemeName.theme

BUT! Not all themes have a .theme file, remember that.

When I'm back on Windows I'll do a tutorial from installation of the UXStyle service to theme working. With pictures!
2rr9jdh.gif

Step 0: Turn off UAC temporarily if you're using Vista or Win7 by going into your Control Panel, then going to User Accounts. Then uncheck Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer.
ze6G1.jpg

lcKGZ.jpg

Step 1: Now download uxstyle from here: http://www.uxstyle.com/builds/UxStyle_Core_jul13_bits.zip. Then when it completes, open it and, depending on your processor, use the x84 (32-bit) version or the x64 (64-bit) version. Install it, then restart your computer.

C6tfe.jpg

Step 2: Find a theme you like on DeviantArt. Here's ones for Windows 7, Vista and XP. For this tutorial I'm gonna use Transblack by invaderjohn because I use Vista. Download the theme by clicking the download link on the left of the image of the theme. (I was originally gonna use DEUCE but the download link kept breaking.)
Pspqd.jpg

Open the ZIP/RAR file.
RslUk.jpg

Here's a breakdown:
- System32/ contains browseui.dll and a backup, though you should really create your own. This modified browseui.dll changes the back and forward buttons in Windows Explorer. Before you replace the file, make sure you make a copy (call it browseui.dll.bak).
- TransmutateAutohide/ is the theme folder specisalised for a taskbar set to autohide (where you get to your open programs with the clock and start button is).
- transmutateNormal/ is the same theme as above but without the special autohide settings.
- Wallpapers/ usually isn't bundled with visualstyles but if they do it's usually a wallpaper (or more!) that fit well with the included theme.

Step 2: Before choosing which style of the theme you'd like to use, let's have a look inside the folder to find out how we should handle it. You will either contain a .theme file or it won't. If it does, it will be the same name as the folder it will be with. Themes ALWAYS contain a .msstyles file. This particular theme doesn't contain a .theme file so we can happily just plonk the folder ("Transblack") into C:\Windows\Resources\themes.
Kzj1T.jpg

Before we go ahead and replace browseui.dll or anything like that, we should test to see if the theme is working! So, onto step 3.

Step 3: Right-click on a blank space of your desktop and click Personalize.
kcriR.jpg

Then go into Window Color and Appearance and click Open classic appearance properties for more color options.
PcBR5.jpg

UpbSr.jpg

A dialog will pop up containing the themes you have installed. If all goes well, you should have one of two things happen, you'll have a copy of "Windows Aero" and a copy of "Windows Vista Basic" or you'll have an option called "Transblack". In this case I have neither because some themes just don't work. :(
WgQJc.jpg

Step 4: Reenable UAC (if you turned it off) by repeating Step 0.

-----------------------------------

So yeah. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Not sure why, really. If it doesn't just find another, there's thousands out there. :) If you have any problems, let me know and I'll try my best to help.

Edit: So uninstalling and reinstalling uxstyle made my themes work again. (Didn't have to restart.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom