• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Limited Edition box points to removal of online play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

No Man's Sky is not an online multiplayer game as many believed it would be, as Hello Games founder Sean Murray has been keen to emphasise, but the the game's European Limited Edition box indicates such features were possibly pulled at a late stage in development.

Pictures of the Limited Edition boxed set have been popping up online, showing a sticker which has been placed over the game's rating. The rating has been updated from a 12 to a 7, but the sticker also blocks an online play symbol. Was the original label a mistake or did changes late in development mean the feature couldn't be promoted on the box.

PCGN has confirmed that the sticker can be found on the LE across Europe.

The LE has no such changes in the US, and likewise standard edition boxes do not feature the online play symbol as standard.

Neither Sony or Hello Games hasn't issued a statement on the sticker.

The sticker controversy comes after two No Man's Sky players found each other only to find that they couldn't actually meet in game. It remains unclear if the feature is actually supported.

FtMujuc.jpg

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/no_ma...ion_box_points_to_removal_of_online_play.html

Lucifon

Yep my UK copy has this sticker.

I'm also skeptical as to whether anyone has seen any creatures which remotely represent those in the pre-release images. Giant sand worms, huge dinosaur type things etc. All I've seen are deformed gazelles.

Real Hero

I'm also skeptical as to whether anyone has seen any creatures which remotely represent those in the pre-release images. Giant sand worms, huge dinosaur type things etc. All I've seen are deformed gazelles.

yeah has anyone seen anything like those sandworms?

sirap

Someone just posted a screenshot of a floating tentacle thingy in the OT, and I've seen streams of people encountering giant giraffe-like dinosaurs. Weird creatures do exist, likely more so the closer you get to the center.

CHC

Already been discussed to death, resurrected, then discussed to death again in the other tread. Sorry.

how about deformed huge dinosaur type things

Nxoedeb.gif

DrZeus

Good grief. This game's fall from grace has been saddening to watch. It did end up like Spore but this one cuts deeper by the day. Too much hype + the vagueness of the footage ended up being worth the concern. Sad.

Hanmik

there are some strange creatures in the game..,

8rGOuaq.gif

Guymelef

No Man's Sky Limited Edition box points to removal of online play

False statement.
These icon doesn't mean "online play" .
Even Until Dawn has the icon, "Online play" icons are the yellow ones.

Seriously. Is there even a single sighting out there?

It's pretty clear what happened - team has massive ambitions, gets excited, tells everyone, then has trouble attempting to implement said ambitions. The game was released in its current state as the studio was rapidly running out of money.

Sean and Co have pretty much permanently trashed their reputation by doing a Molyneux.

It's pretty clear what happened - team has massive ambitions, gets excited, tells everyone, then has trouble attempting to implement said ambitions. The game was released in its current state as the studio was rapidly running out of money.

Sean and Co have pretty much permanently trashed their reputation by doing a Molyneux.

Nah, I view this as more of a Driveclub. They can still save face by implementing MP in some fashion. Even if it's just like the "ghosts" in souls games.

But, personally, I like the game in its current state. I didn't buy this thinking it was an MMO like some people. I don't want hordes of trolls griefing people or anything. I want to explore. Would it be cool with another person? Sure, why not. But it doesn't affect me enjoying the game.

The only thing I hold Hello Games responsible for is not clearing it up with people and saying "hey, yeah, we wanted online, but it just isn't possible right now" or something like that.

Fliesen

False statement.
These icon doesn't mean "online play" .
Even Until Dawn has the icon, Online icons are the yellow ones.

correct.

"online" is just any kind of online funcitonality, which the game certainly has.

Maybe they decided to remove the "en linea" icon to do exactly what they should have done all along - keep people's expectations towards the "multiplayer-ness" of the game to a minimum.

ISee

Nah, I view this as more of a Driveclub. They can still save face by implementing MP in some fashion. Even if it's just like the "ghosts" in souls games.

Not after stating that we will be able to see and interact (live) with other players if we happen to stumble upon them. And honestly this might be something unlikely to happen in the outer rims of the galaxie, but a lot more likely near the center. And at the center system? Well it should happen once people start to reach it.

The thing is, that someone has fucked up the new feature sticker, because the game supports online interactions but no multiplayer.

Only the PEGI rating should be changed.

The thing is, that someone has fucked up the new feature sticker, because the game supports online play but no multiplayer.

This is also true. Because the online capability makes it possible for you to run across planet "fuckpussy", so that would be important for people to know.

Does this sticker thing happen often then?, not sure I can say I've seen it before.

No, it's rare as heck. Last minute feature cuts of the actual gameplay affecting sort, nevermind rating affecting sort, are actually rare. I remember Rabbids Go Home somehow slipping under the radar and getting PEGI rating raised, but that didn't have a CE, so I think they just have reprinted the covers (not sure what they did with ratings on disc though).

Patryn

Were there really that many people convinced that this was a multiplayer game? This whole "controversy" baffles me, because I had gotten the sense that every time people brought up multi, they also downplayed it heavily, barring an off-the-cuff statement here or there.

Also, is it really a "removal" if something never existed in the first place?

Fliesen

Does this sticker thing happen often then?, not sure I can say I've seen it before.

well, that might be due to the timing of when the original boxes had gone into manufacturing / printing.

Sony and Hello could have certainly pushed for the rating to be lowered from 12 to 7 for the sake of having the widest possible target audience.

ISee

Sony doesn't decide what the PEGI rates the game for. The rating on the PEGI site doesn't list online functionality either:

MMSssfV.png

Maybe it was also changed at one point in time. But I have no idea if that's even easily possible.

Were there really that many people convinced that this was a multiplayer game? This whole "controversy" baffles me, because I had gotten the sense that every time people brought up multi, they also downplayed it heavily, barring an off-the-cuff statement here or there.

Also, is it really a "removal" if something never existed in the first place?

This gets posted every time, but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

LewieP

There are a few different possible explanations for this. The least viable is a last minute removal of online multiplayer.

It's still an almost unbelievable scenario. It's a farce.

Did they think people wouldn't notice the sticker? Did they not realise how it looks?

None of this stuff about multiplayer actually impacts the game that exists, but it does make some of Hello's pre-release communication a bit questionable.

I've long thought that, at least for PSN purchases, Sony (and same applies to digital purchases from MS/Nintendo) that there needs to be a standard reasonable refund policy. Along the lines of what Steam has. Cases like this, where people took a developer's communication about a game at face value and ended up disappointing, are a good example of why such a policy should exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom