• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Limited Edition box points to removal of online play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Pretty sure:

1) This opens the door for legal action
2) This will be the end of Hello Games

Not sure why some people are defending the devs. I have not seen a clusterfuck of this magnitude since maybe Driveclub.

It's nothing significant man, they only removed a whole mode from the game without notifying paying customers. No big deal.

The Flop

Banned
Pretty sure:

Not sure why some people are defending the devs. I have not seen a clusterfuck of this magnitude since maybe Driveclub.

Yep.

Spore 2.0 confirmed. People defending this b/c they wanted this to be the GOAT.

It's nothing significant man, they only removed a whole mode from the game without notifying paying customers. No big deal.

Now you're reaching.

They've never talked about an "online mode". They always, always said that you could, eventually, hopefully, meet up with someone in the universe.

I don't know how that constitutes an "online mode".

And as I said before, it's not like Sean runs Hello Games and marketing and publishing. They all made a mistake (big or not, that's up for debate).

But talking about "legal action" is pure lunacy.

Yep.

Spore 2.0 confirmed. People defending this b/c they wanted this to be the GOAT.

And people attacking it for the same idiotic reason?

I don't get the crusade if you're not interested in the game. It's not like you all whiners would have bought it in the first place, is it?

LewieP

Pretty sure:

Lol no, worst case scenario they will offer refunds,

The Flop

Banned
Now you're reaching.

They've never talked about an "online mode". They always, always said that you could, eventually, hopefully, meet up with someone in the universe.

I don't know how that constitutes an "online mode".

And as I said before, it's not like Sean runs Hello Games and marketing and publishing. They all made a mistake (big or not, that's up for debate).

But talking about "legal action" is pure lunacy.

And people attacking it for the same idiotic reason?

I don't get the crusade if you're not interested in the game. It's not like you all whiners would have bought it in the first place, is it?

I actually was going to buy it on PC, but I'll wait for a steam sale or the patch where they put in the mode where I can play with friends.

Kinyou

I still don't see how those statements indicate that it would be a multiplayer game. Yes, he says it might be possible to see other players, but every single time he keeps saying that the chances of it is extremely small, which indicates to me a high unlikelihood any player would ever see another person.

So I still don't understand why any person would have bought this game for some nebulous multiplayer component that they clearly downplayed every time it was brought up.
People still liked the possibility of it to happen. And some have already put the time in to find each other, only to find out that you can't see the other player.

This doesn't mean the whole game is bad now, but it's a feature that's missing and that's disappointing. Same case if those giant sand snakes don't actually exist.

I actually was going to buy it on PC, but I'll wait for a steam sale or the patch where they put in the mode where I can play with friends.

Let me get this straight: you would have bought it on the faint promise of "maybe you can meet up with your friends if you happen to find them in an infinite universe"?

And since that seemingly didn't pan out, you're now skipping the game?

More than a problem of communication from devs/publishers, it's an issue of comprehension (of what the game is) from the customers, then.

Because yes, they said you could meet up with friends. But they've also stated more than once that it's mostly a singleplayer experience.

If they lied about meeting with other players then why would they continue working on updating an element which increases the likelihood of them meeting? Remember that the ability to scan for other players was introduced in the update. The update was worked on directly after work on the shipped version of the game finished. Why are they lying in the update notes? To make people think MP still exists and thus trick more people into buying it? Christ xD

Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight

Tigress

The guy has been stressing this is a single player game since he's described gameplay. Most likely the box was designed wrong and they decided to fix it with a sticker rather than remake them.

Cormano

qMmMena.gif

Lol

Fuser

The response to this game from announcement to release has been insane, genuinely insane and irrational. The creator got death threats because they delayed it by two months! It's crazy.

It has always been a very niche game that almost by accident tapped into mainstream appeal, that over time imagined a far grander and greater experience than it was ever going to be.

What has been achieved is pretty remarkable and is being enjoyed by many players. Look at the official thread, most people are enjoying it a lot for what it is rather than hating it for what it isn't, which is happening on these threads outside of the official topic.

The developers have stayed quiet about what you can and cannot do because its a game about discovery (and it turns out, inventory management). The gameplay is basically a puddle the size of a galaxy and to have it all spelled out pre-release would have ruined the enjoyment of discovering what you can and cannot do yourself. I understand their approach.

People are so desperate to find out what you can and cannot do they are packet tracing, they are waiting for the PC release so they can data mine and then no doubt GAF and other forums will be full of threads about how you cant do xyz because the code isn't there. It's totally bonkers that people just can't sit and play the game if they like it or move onto something else if they don't!

I've never known a game to be put on a pedestal prior to release quite like NMS.

The game has a lot of faults, I personally am enjoying it a lot regardless of those faults, but this controversy that is boiling up over multiplayer is totally mad.

what i find crazy is.. ok you happen to find someone... i bet there isnt any video or documentation that actually says you can co op from that point on... or any kinda interaction... that would make this random encounter even worth it

Mathieran

Banned
It's sickening that some of y'all have got your pitchforks out wanting Sean Murray's head and calling for HG to be shut down. They've always been pretty clear this is not meant to be a MP game, and we don't even know what is going on with the servers. Think I need to stay off GAF for a while until the insanity goes away. In the meantime I am going to be enjoying the game for what it is.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bottom line is that anyone who's actually been interested in this game will be aware that its a very ambitious game being done by a very small number of people.

That some are now turning on Sean/Hello games with such vitriol because it doesn't do everything they hoped for is a sad commentary on the state of gaming today.

The way certain "gamers" seem to take delight in hating on devs these days is just bizarre to me. To be honest, I saw a backlash coming a mile-off because I could see people building up stuff in their minds' that was realistically unattainable by such a small team. But that being said, this feels nastier and more personal than I expected.

Shinjica

"Will you be able to play with your friends?" "Yes!"

C'mon. I totally understand things change in development - particularly in games of this scope - but there's really no way to spin this. They indicated there would be multiplayer of some sort several times, however limited or abstract.

Development, I'd imagine. I don't think Hello Games are liars, I think that this game's hype spiraled far out of their control and they did not get out ahead of the release and clarify older statements fast enough.

I speculate that they either forgot they had even said this stuff to the press (quite likely, given how hectic the development of this game must have been with such a small team handling everything), or they were terrified of pre-release backlash if they "canceled" multiplayer and just sort of... never said anything.

Finally some common sense

Disxo

Bottom line is that anyone who's actually been interested in this game will be aware that its a very ambitious game being done by a very small number of people.

That some are now turning on Sean/Hello games with such vitriol because it doesn't do everything they hoped for is a sad commentary on the state of gaming today.

The way certain "gamers" seem to take delight in hating on devs these days is just bizarre to me. To be honest, I saw a backlash coming a mile-off because I could see people building up stuff in their minds' that was realistically unattainable by such a small team. But that being said, this feels nastier and more personal than I expected.
Yes,this situation is making me legit angry to the ignorance of these gamers.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Or maybe a good amount of people are genuinely upset about being misled. Believe it or not the online functionality that the creator of the game discusses in interviews ect.. Got a lot of people interested.

So, misleading those people and even hinting to some online interactivity days before release is pretty fucked up. It doesn't matter that the game is ambitious, that is a completely separate matter.

Hello Games basically just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in offline gaming where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in online gaming, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the online gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase No Man's Lie for any system, nor will they purchase any of Hello Games games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hello Games has alienated an entire market with this move.

Hello Games, publicly apologize and refund No Man's Lie purchases or you can kiss your business goodbye

8bit

Knows the Score
Pretty sure:

are you a lawyer

GlamFM

Banned
Pretty sure:

1. In the states maybe.

2. No.

elyetis

To be honest, I saw a backlash coming a mile-off because I could see people building up stuff in their minds' that was realistically unattainable by such a small team.
I'm guessing by building up stuff in their mind, you actually mean 'set their expectation based on what was said by the developer in interview on multiple occasion' ?

entremet

This game never was gonna live up to the hype. It's the first major retail sized game from the HG.

Joe Danger was great, but they had no track record with bigger titles.

Sony PR and Murray really caked on the hype machine too much for it.

sirap

Or maybe a good amount of people are genuinely upset about being misled. Believe it or not the online functionality that the creator of the game discusses in interviews ect.. Got a lot of people interested.

So, misleading those people and even hinting to some online interactivity days before release is pretty fucked up. It doesn't matter that the game is ambitious, that is a completely separate matter.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in offline gaming where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in online gaming, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the online gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase No Man's Lie for any system, nor will they purchase any of Hello Games games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hello Games has alienated an entire market with this move.

Hello Games, publicly apologize and refund No Man's Lie purchases or you can kiss your business goodbye

A+

Sean should just seppuku himself if he wants to salvage his company's reputation. God I'm so outraged! I can't believe he LIED to us!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
No, not that, the way you expressed yourself and even used a meme is so weird.

You mean me saying how Sean lied and misled people about the game. Talking about features that weren't being implemented, features that got a good amount of people interested in the game.

what exactly did he say you can do with other players? i bet you cant answer that question and if so provide a link.... I'll wait

Tigress

It's sickening that some of y'all have got your pitchforks out wanting Sean Murray's head and calling for HG to be shut down. They've always been pretty clear this is not meant to be a MP game, and we don't even know what is going on with the servers. Think I need to stay off GAF for a while until the insanity goes away. In the meantime I am going to be enjoying the game for what it is.

Yeah even the NMS subreddit isn't getting this ridiculous and they've gotten pretty ridiculous. The servers are very obviously borked (half the time I go to upload my discoveries there is a small note on the bottom saying the game is offline) so online stuff is going to be spotty. And this box thing proves absolutely nothing. As I said before most likely it is a misprint and it was cheaper to just sticker it rather than reprint the boxes.

Is this some kind of performance art?

Disxo

You mean me saying how Sean lied and misled people about the game. Talking about features that weren't being implemented. Features that got a good amount of people interested in the game.
We dont know yet if MP is implemented until HG actually adresses the issue, which they will.
Keep calm, no need to commit harakiri for respect.

Cmon you are an expert ;p

Mupod

Let me get this straight: you would have bought it on the faint promise of "maybe you can meet up with your friends if you happen to find them in an infinite universe"?

why is this a problem? Why couldn't you just give your coordinates to a friend and meet up? I mean, people literally did this in a roundabout way almost immediately.

I'm sure you don't.

Stay getting upset because people are genuinely peeved about being lied too and misled about game functionality.

Man I wish I could get upset about things like this. Instead,i have actual adult problems,so a video developer supposedly lying about a missing feature seems insanely insignificant. Don't like it? Don't buy it. And being misled leads to $80 and a few hours wasted...the horror! An entire generation with no man's sky PTSD.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I admit I haven't played the game yet but were people really buying this as a multiplayer game when the developers basically stated you're more likely never ever going to meet another actual player? I mean they basically hinted at being possible unless I missed an interview where they were much more blatant about the MP possibilities but it always seemed like a single player focused game to me. Not to call it faux outrage but it does seem odd that people seemed to be going into this game expecting something not intended by the developers as most interviews were about how big the universe is and how well crafted and how each planet will be its own unique thing, etc. etc.

Kinyou

But this wasn't something people build up in their minds, this was something Sean himself said. Does the crowbcat video really have to be posted over and over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

why is this a problem? Why couldn't you just give your coordinates to a friend and meet up? I mean, people literally did this in a roundabout way almost immediately.

It's not a problem per se, it becomes a problem if that (allegedly remote) possibility becomes the main feature of the game, thus a reason to buy it.

Moreover, these users not only believe that said feature is crucial to the game, but that it was adverstised as such in a knowlingly misleading way as pointed out by the infamous "sticker" (which is related to another problem entirely, but hey, reading is hard).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom