• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

Mik317

Not a live demo though- cherry picked scenes?

Something very funny about a group of Japanese teenagers in a rural America setting though. To say they seem out of place is an understatement.

isn't that kinda the point?

Royalty in normal ass people territory.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Doesn't look that bad to be honest. Okay, graphic definitely need some touch up, but at least the battle system looks good.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think it's fair to demand more from a game then typical genre shenanigans.
Especially what some might argue is the flagship JRPG. I just feel like this game's tone based on this video is really at odds with itself.

It looks better than The Witcher 3. So you are wrong.
It absolutely does not. It used to, but they've made a lot of changes to the game's lighting to get it running. City looks a lot deader than in the PC trailers as well.

Kalor

I skimmed through the video and it looks good. It could be improved on the performance side but that's probably why they got the delay in the first place.

Old Noctis looks awful.

This. Worst design yet. I knew they would try to make him look like his dad (the new design mind you) when they look nothing alike.

Overall thoughts:

Opening is very flat. Its meant to dreading and captivating but they could cut it and nothing of value would be lost. They are really pushing this all for one idea and at times its really cringey. Like guys, you don;'t have to do everything together.

Biggest disappointment is the lack of CGI. especially for the opening. Is VisualWorks even doing anything for this game? The graphics need some notable improvement as well. Unacceptable for PS4 tbh and definite downgrade from Duscae.

Gameplay looks great, wonder how rewarding exploration will be. Bit worried about the direction of the story...seems like tombhunting is the drive when I expected more pressure from other plotlines. I'll let it slide since its only the first few hours.

Doesn't look that bad to be honest. Okay, graphic definitely need some touch up, but at least the battle system looks good.

Yeah! It needs more polish. I hope they're also cooking up something for the Neo but before that I want them to do everything that's humanly possible on the base versions.

You know what, for the next game I wish they abandon the idea of a western open world and go back to the classic world maps.

They just have to implement it the right way because the flak they're going to receive if they do a classic world map are from the current gen of gamers who did not grow up playing those old Final Fantasies and are more used to Witcher, GTA, Elder Scrolls type open worlds.

dramatis

Looks pretty crappy overall. Cindy is grosser than ever. Combat is not that good-looking. Interactions between the cast seem like artificial filler. You have your own "collect a thing" points on the map, just like every other open world game. Bunch of derp quests.

Two months could give them time to fix the technical jank, but it certainly won't fix the story and characters, or the game design. Good luck with that.

sensui-tomo

Of course. I would never compare a PC game to a console one. ;)

i've seen other people do dumb things man, but yeah I wholeheartedly agree that this is above witcher 3 (on ps4) I'm still hyped for the game, sucks the delay happened but hey i get to play DQ7 and WoFF before hand.

FelipeMGM

1471364638-noct1.gif

lol whats up with all the sliding in this game

Magusx

Yeah FFXV def looks better than Witcher 3. But man I really feel FFXV is held back so much by weak PS4 hardware. I think FFXV on PC will look insanely good.

Styles

33LInGx.gif

This part was great, so I stopped and made a gif. The nighttime continues to look perfect in this game and I love the serrated scenery in the distance.

The music made this fight feel way more freaky than it should have. Queen Yoko knocking it out of the park with this game's soundtrack. 🙏

I watched the whole thing you guys. I skipped the first 10 seconds but... yeah. This looks really good. I'm kind of shocked it even needed a delay cause it looks like something I'd be happy playing. Casual outfits are amazing!

Tyaren

The Xbox One version looked considerably worse than the PS4 version, I noticed. After a while I could tell which version is which without looking at the buttons first. Starker hair dithering, worse ground textures, hardly, if any, anisotropic filtering and especially in Duscae you could compare how much scarcer the gras and bushes were on the Xbox One. The PS4 version looked fortunately not much different to the Duscae Demo though and not nearly as bad as the screenshots they've shown us in the past months.

Also, am I crazy or does it look as if you can freely costumize the clothing? o . O It looked even as if you could change the coloring... They said there were alternate outfits but not to this extent.

AgeEighty

To people complaining about the framerate and other hitches, bear in mind that according to Tabata this footage is from the gold master version of the game without the day one patch.

Twookie

came out with a positive outlook after watching this video
hype regained

although
the acting with iris and noctis is godfuckingawful
the voiceacting in general is pretty shoddy
xbox one version looks hella blurry (ps4 looks better although not thaaaat much better)
will buy the PC version too when/if that it comes out
please give this game some good AA

To people complaining about the framerate and other hitches, bear in mind that according to Tabata this footage is from the gold master version of the game without the day one patch.

that makes sense

jett

D-Member
They just have to implement it the right way because the flak they're going to receive if they do a classic world map are from the current gen of gamers who did not grow up playing those old Final Fantasies and are more used to Witcher, GTA, Elder Scrolls type open worlds.

Ah fuck 'em.

Ni No Kuni did it beautifully.

foliiv.gif

I watched the whole thing you guys. I skipped the first 10 seconds but... yeah. This looks really good. I'm kind of shocked it even needed a delay cause it looks like something I'd be happy playing. Casual outfits are amazing!

But the reviewers would probably complain about performance issues cause they wouldn't be playing with the day one patch.

Finished the video. The game looks to be a great game (trying not ro fanbiy here). I liked the characters and story. A lot of pop-ups though.

Waiting for the final release.

artsi

They're rich, pampered pretty boys from the most expensive part of the world. I'd expect them to look out of place literally everywhere else and I think it works great. People seem to think it's unintentional, though.

Yeah it's definitely intentional.

In Duscae you hear people commenting about their luxury car, just like you would expect if you took a Lamborghini to some countryside gas station in the middle of nowhere.

bigol

Watched everything. Really good impression,there are definitely technical issue and the pop in is bad but it looks to be fun. Once again glad they delayed it to fix this build, it looks rough.

Byvar

By the way, at the end of the video (52:14) is this scene with Ardyn from the Uncovered trailer: https://youtu.be/CX5D4Fenz5g?t=40s
In the Uncovered trailer, he says: "I can guide you -- in fact, only I can." to which Ignis replies "What are you plotting?"
But in this video Ardyn goes on about the Archaean instead and Ignis doesn't say a thing. That means the English script is either vastly different from the Japanese (which would sadly lead to unmatching subtitles) or they were still rewriting stuff back in March (which would confirm some of the negativity from the first 4chan leak).

It's a world map. The game isn't open world.
Ni No Kuni was open world in the classic FF sense. But I was just saying that one of the complaint for FFXV is that the world is barren and doesn't have much things going in it. A classic FF map wouldn't have solved this issue.

Can I say that the amount of variety in the enemies is astounding? gotta say I like the fact that flands, piscodemons (Mindflayers), arachnae, ff1 style scorpions and Zuu are in brought in great detail in this game?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Besides vegetation density, there is nothing in The Witcher 3 that looks better to FFXV.
Npcs in the Witcher 3 look leagues better, and somehow, the lip sync in W3 is even better. I'll give this game character animation but in the current state it's quite unpolished, especially the animations they use for non cutscene conversations, particle effects are comparable as well. Lighting in TW3 looks a lot better especially during character close ups. Duscae gave Witcher 3 a run for it's money. This video however certainly do the game any favors.

But the reviewers would probably complain about performance issues cause they wouldn't be playing with the day one patch.

On comments like this... As somebody who played this demo for 4+ hours I have to say: I feel there's more this situation than just waiting for a day one patch to tighten up frame rate and such. The build was extremely unstable and all over the place. When it was running well it was a dream, but it crashed on me several times, and a boss outright broke making progression impossible twice... on something meant to be a gold master. If all that happens to one guy in the first 4 hours and there's 60 hours of game, how much more was there to fix? It's not just about frame rate, IQ, textures, it's also about stability, and SE obviously isn't going to include hard crashes etc in a PR video. This is why the delay is a really, really good thing.

I loved the game, especially the combat which I feel finally has the agency I've wanted it to, but it needed a lot more work. While I can't peer into Tabata's mind I think to be honest this was less about 'we can't let offline players play without the day one patch' in an age when like 95% of consoles are connected and more about 'a day one patch built in 3 weeks won't be able to fix some of the major issues we have well enough'. The game just needed more time.

Top Bottom