• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

wmlk

Lmao

All you need to do is look at Cor's shoulder if you really do believe the lighting is the same. It's an entirely different, flat texture.

hhhmmm

pqgbMnR.jpg

Since this took me seconds to edit in phothoshop,
I'm going to have to say that there is really no lighitng downgrade, I believe it has something to do with the contrast of the images and abvious compression being lost when
some images get imported depedning on the image software or compression tool. I've seen this happen many times with Color 2001 coated images from Asia or Japan and when some get imported to USA SWOP default color profiles,and thus this tends to happen.

If I recall many people praised the jumbo tron offscreen picture someone took not to long ago and many pointed at the fact that those usually have higher contrast.

NOTE: I didn't modify anything, other than the contrast sliders.

Amazing spin doc. Hit me with another one

KupoNut

hhhmmm

pqgbMnR.jpg

Since this took me seconds to edit in phothoshop,
I'm going to have to say that there is really no lighitng downgrade, I believe it has something to do with the contrast of the images and abvious compression being lost when
some images get imported depedning on the image software or compression tool. I've seen this happen many times with Color 2001 coated images from Asia or Japan and when some get imported to USA SWOP default color profiles,and thus this tends to happen.

If I recall many people praised the jumbo tron offscreen picture someone took not to long ago and many pointed at the fact that those usually have higher contrast.

NOTE: I didn't modify anything, other than the contrast sliders.

It's called post-processing, it's super easy to do and doesn't impact performance in a big way, stunned that Square doesn't seem to be doing this anymore, or doing it the wrong way in that Master Version gameplay.

Then again this might just be on purpose to make it look like graphics have improved dramatically in two months from now, which I doubt.

Koozek

@RedMakuzawa
Looks like FFXV won IGN's Gamescom 2016 People's Choice Award 2016. We did it! Congrats @FFXVEN/@FFXVJP. :)

Also new on IGN:

Final Fantasy 15 Might Make Me Love Final Fantasy Again

During the opening hours of Final Fantasy XIII, I put the controller down and vowed never to play another Final Fantasy again. I’d loved every installment since VII, and at 26, I suddenly felt too old, too tired, to embark on what would surely be another 100-hour-plus adventure in another world with an angst-ridden story and, in this instance, an unexpected linearity that made my first few hours feel like something akin to being shoved down a really boring slide.

But Final Fantasy XV is something else. Its first few hours, at least, are fun. They suggest an explosion of ideas, a mishmash of cultures peppered with extraordinary detail and hilariously 'millennial' chutzpah from its quartet of characters.

[...]

Nya

I love FFXV but come on a downgrade is a downgrade.

@RedMakuzawa
Looks like FFXV won IGN's Gamescom 2016 People's Choice Award 2016. We did it! Congrats @FFXVEN/@FFXVJP. :)

Also new on IGN:

Final Fantasy 15 Might Make Me Love Final Fantasy Again

During the opening hours of Final Fantasy XIII, I put the controller down and vowed never to play another Final Fantasy again. I’d loved every installment since VII, and at 26, I suddenly felt too old, too tired, to embark on what would surely be another 100-hour-plus adventure in another world with an angst-ridden story and, in this instance, an unexpected linearity that made my first few hours feel like something akin to being shoved down a really boring slide.

But Final Fantasy XV is something else. Its first few hours, at least, are fun. They suggest an explosion of ideas, a mishmash of cultures peppered with extraordinary detail and hilariously 'millennial' chutzpah from its quartet of characters.

[...]

Awesome!!

DeSolos

It definitely has been downgraded, but I think the point illustrated by what dragonzdogma was trying to do is that with a little art direction the look of these scenes can be improved.

The flat look is unbecoming and unnecessary. Even with features disabled, they can at least approximate the look of the old scenes by adjusting what their post processing is doing. Exposure and gamma correction could really go a long way in the case of the Cor scene for example.

Koozek

Dude what.

EXPOSED

Sorry for the crosspost, but I posted this over on the preview thread where it should really belong here:

I think overall the visual quality is rather uneven, which is understandable for an open world game. But even so, this

cC0sdwa.png

and this

t601h0v.png

are worlds apart. Granted, the first image has copious amounts of DoF (which... actually is a creative way to hide IQ issues) but the lighting is also on a completely different level. I'm not sure how much of that is because it can be more carefully scripted vs e.g. the second shot being able to take place at any time during the day (?) and in any weather, etc. but I'm pretty sure a lot of the shortcomings could be at least hidden more cleverly.

I'm pretty sure a two additional months of optimization on the visual end is going to go a long, long way.

edit: when in doubt turn up the contrast.

9RigCnh.png

There's probably a balancing point before you start getting crushed blacks out the wazoo, obviously, and this is by no stretch of imagination close to what a proper IQ pass on this scene would entail.

2VeqI0B.jpg

DeSolos

Ok so here is a roughly 2 minute attempt by a somewhat competent artist to approximate the look of the Uncovered version of the scene using only Exposure(Exposure, Offset, and Gamma) and then Exposure+Color Correction.

Master Version

Master Version Exposure adjustment

Master Version Exposure adjustment and Color Correction

Uncovered

Is it as good? Absolutely not, but the point is that with a little performance independent art direction, you can at least make it better.

Koozek

I never said it was a substitute for actual lighting.
I'm sorry. Can we still be friends? :(

Ok so here is a roughly 2 minute attempt by a somewhat competent artist to approximate the look of the Uncovered version of the scene using only Exposure(Exposure, Offset, and Gamma) and then Exposure+Color Correction.

Master Version

Uncovered

Is it as good? Absolutely not, but the point is that with a little performance independent art direction, you can at least make it better.

Damn, that's really close from the overall feeling. Dragonzdogma redeemed.

Ran rp

Master Version

Uncovered

It may just be a personal taste thing but the original master version is more appealing than the adjusted images. Cor's skin looks better
(in the second pic)
but everything else is worse. Too much information is lost in shadow and it gives it a nasty crushed black look.

I didn't like how several scenes in the Uncovered trailer looked for the same reason.

Uncovered:

I can barely make out a detail on Noctis' jacket in the screens above and in the shot below his hand is practically invisible:

There's a scene similar to the Cor and Ignis examples in the trailer that doesn't have this issue, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

"Console" vs PC footage?

Koozek

PSY・S;214693545 said:
It may just be a personal taste thing but the original master version is more appealing than the adjusted images. Cor's skin looks better
(in the second pic)
but everything else is worse. Too much information is lost in shadow and it gives it a nasty crushed black look.

I didn't like how several scenes in the Uncovered trailer looked for the same reason.

Uncovered:

I can barely make out a detail on Noctis' jacket in the screens above and in the shot below his hand is practically invisible:

There's a scene similar to the Cor and Ignis examples in the trailer that doesn't have this issue, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

"Console" vs PC footage?

Crushed blacks due to wrong color space (many people don't realize their TV and console don't have the correct corresponding color range settings). Could be wrong settings when capturing or exporting the footage. I'm sure Delaney or Falk already explained that somewhere.

crushed.png

KupoNut

PSY・S;214693545 said:
(in the second pic)

"Console" vs PC footage?

While you are definitely right, I feel what Square is doing right now is over-exposing it too much, cancelling out a lot of shadows and highlights for a flat look, which really brought the game to life, like how you can feel the roundness and had all that intricate lighting on Cor's face:
l8OKxFI.jpg

Now I feel like the game is missing a lighting pass, and some small adjustments could make it look more... "next-gen", less flat without having a performance sacrifice.

KupoNut

Master Version

Uncovered

To elaborate on this Square has shown this off themselves at CEDEC
LzpEPTR.jpg

It can make a huge difference, if done right.

if they really wanted they could even bring it back to the gray-ish Versus look of the E3 2013 trailer.

Mcdohl

Saw bits and pieces of the vid, and honestly I'm liking what I see.

But I guess this video confirms something I've been afraid of since Episode Duscae, and repeatedly been told to not worry about, there will be no ambient music when walking around the open world and/or driving :(

Saw bits and pieces of the vid, and honestly I'm liking what I see.

But I guess this video confirms something I've been afraid of since Episode Duscae, and repeatedly been told to not worry about, there will be no ambient music when walking around the open world and/or driving :(

While driving you can listen to the car's rádio though.

Mcdohl

While driving you can listen to the car's rádio though.

Truth, but still I assume we'll spend a lot of time walking/running around. Music, imo, plays an important role in atmosphere, specially on RPGs.

FFXI had music in a lot of its open areas, but had a lot with only ambient sound.

FFXII had music in all its areas.

Now in case you think looping music can get tiresome you can...

FFXIV ARR had music in all its areas, but after playing once, there would only be ambient sound, then after some mins it plays again, and so on.

Koozek

Truth, but still I assume we'll spend a lot of time walking/running around. Music, imo, plays an important role in atmosphere, specially on RPGs.

FFXI had music in a lot of its open areas, but had a lot with only ambient sound.

FFXII had music in all its areas.

Now in case you think looping music can get tiresome you can...

FFXIV ARR had music in all its areas, but after playing once, there would only be ambient sound, then after some mins it plays again, and so on.

I honestly assumed it would be like that too in FFXV. Maybe it is. We didn't get much footage of on-foot exploration without being interrupted by battles/events or cuts to locations with their own background music. Dungeons/towns/gas stations and even the menu (which I really don't like) had their BGM. I'm sure there'll be music on the fields with pauses like you described, in fact I think I remember Tabata confirming that somewhere in an ATR or so. That's the best way to do it without getting tired of the same looping song for too long.

I'm glad that my wishes of dynamic music changing depending on your location in an area came true, like when you enter a building at the gas station the guitar instrument changes :>

Nags

Banned
To elaborate on this Square has shown this off themselves at CEDEC
LzpEPTR.jpg

It can make a huge difference, if done right.

if they really wanted they could even bring it back to the gray-ish Versus look of the E3 2013 trailer.

So, if I use Color Grading on... on my TV, I'll get the better image. Correct?
I normally turn off all post processing stuff on my TV as well as put it in Game Mode to minimize input lag.

Also, does color grading cause those crushed blacks like in the other images?

valkyre

I know about the car not being drivable. But eventually we know that the car will be able to fly.

Will the player actually have any control over this, or will it -again- be just a case of entering a destination and just accelerating/panning the camera around without steering etc?

I know about the car not being drivable. But eventually we know that the car will be able to fly.

Will the player actually have any control over this, or will it -again- be just a case of entering a destination and just accelerating/panning the camera around without steering etc?

The car is drivable, just in a limited sense. You can move from side to side, go forward, stop, etc. The light is completely free I think, except you can only land on roads.

Yikes, current gen consoles REALLY can't handle this game.

Looking forward to the inevitable Neo and PC releases. As it stands right now, it just runs and looks too poor. Kinda reminds me of MGSV TPP on PS3/360: Shoving a game where it doesn't belong.

Yikes, current gen consoles REALLY can't handle this game.

Looking forward to the inevitable Neo and PC releases. As it stands right now, it just runs and looks too poor. Kinda reminds me of MGSV TPP on PS3/360: Shoving a game where it doesn't belong.

and yet they can? it runs at near 30 and looks decent? and MGSV wasn't designed from the ground up for XB1/PS4, iirc? Also isn't Neo not really a release and more of a..patch?

Top Bottom