• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

Akainu

dvzavv.gif

Those animations glitching. lol

HeelPower

I don't mind the
orphanage plot. But the amnesia stuff felt so forced.

I LOVE VIII, by the way. :)

Going from Point A to Point B, yes.

Going from Point B, where you're
presented with people being basically strangers to each other (Squall vs Zell vs Selfie's introduction vs Irvine's introduction), back to Point A with amnesia being attributed to yet another convenient plot point (GF usage) *should* have worked as an interesting twist. Yet it kinda ended up feeling comical instead.

edit: ok fine, this isn't FF Community Thread. Spoiler tagged.

LOL OK.

I forgot that they
treated each as strangers theeen "remembered" later in the game.

Dark_castle

Ya know, although titles like FFVIII and FFX had a lot of plot contrivances and wacky stories, I think they have their place in JRPG.

I watched the video for the first time (lol). God, the dialogue in the beginning is absolutely awful. Both the VA and the dialogue. This is some early PS2 level stuff. This is what they can come up with in a game that's designed to recapture the western market?

Grinchy

Banned
I watched the video for the first time (lol). God, the dialogue in the beginning is absolutely awful. Both the VA and the dialogue. This is some early PS2 level stuff. This is what they can come up with in a game that's designed to recapture the western market?

Yeah that's as far as I've made it. I'll skip around the video a bit more but this is not good.

Their ability to tell an engaging story died when they went to fully voice-acted games. They've just never gotten it right. It all sounds so disjointed and pulls me right out of it. At least everything else about the game looks pretty good.

sappyday

Yeah that's as far as I've made it. I'll skip around the video a bit more but this is not good.

Their ability to tell an engaging story died when they went to fully voice-acted games. They've just never gotten it right. It all sounds so disjointed and pulls me right out of it. At least everything else about the game looks pretty good.

The Japanese version sounds more natural. Play it like that. There will be an option in the English release.

Mailbox

They aren't. Those soldiers in particular are the old magictek models.

AFAIK only officers are human .

I am a little confused though, since we do see things like Imperial Snipers in the game. I wonder if they will be a little clearer to understand when we are in the game.

Edit: just looked at the footage again: "Imperial Riflemen" (the things we see in that troop marching) are indeed robots. When they die they spark up with electricity and sparks.

Aha, ok...

Wait, so Nifelheim doesn't even send their people to die during war? Instead smartly using machines? Why are they the bad guys again?

So in your mind, an empire sending an army of robots and monsters to conquer and kill everyone else isn't evil because at least they're not conscripting their own people?

Just watched the video... I think we just need to let SE die now, they clearly haven't got a clue what people want. We're just going backwards with each game.

Mailbox

Aha, ok...

Wait, so Nifelheim doesn't even send their people to die during war? Instead smartly using machines? Why are they the bad guys again?

Pretty sure world conquering, taking the autonomy to any and all empires/countries (sans those who have VIPs), and not to mention genocide, political assassination, and corrupting the political system of a neighboring country's legal system (someone whose watched Kingsglaive, please correct me if I'm wrong) aren't enough to be labeled villain?

Just watched the video... I think we just need to let SE die now, they clearly haven't got a clue what people want. We're just going backwards with each game.

Outside of graphical issues, what they hell do you think people want? Explain rather than shitpost, please.

Can anyone confirm this? Found it on GameFAQs. This debunks the story summary leak from 4Chan especially the
Ardyn being Ifrit

For those who want to remain spoiler free, there aren't story spoilers per se but mostly related to the summons.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74187707

First, Yusuke Naora confirmed
Chapter 0 takes place after the first few chapters of the game.
Effectively debunking the leak. Then we find out
Ifrit is a God and Astral of the game. He's part of the 6 summons in the game. The Satan demon in Chapter 0 is now confirmed not to be Ifrit.

Second, Tabata confirmed that fairly early on in the game
you find a book that details the Gods of FFXV. Astrals of Eos. There are 6. They are as followed

Ramuh
Titan
Leviathan
Shiva
Ifrit
Bahamut
But this is the interesting part. Tabata hints at there being more than 6.

There were no sources listed so figured someone here might have an idea.

Mailbox

Can anyone confirm this? Found it on GameFAQs. This debunks the story summary leak from 4Chan especially the
Ardyn being Ifrit

For those who want to remain spoiler free, there aren't story spoilers per se but mostly related to the summons.

The first point kinda contradicts itself
How can Chapter 0 take place after the first few chapters, Ifirit being mentioned, and that thing not being Ifirit?
Its messy writing in that post and doesn't make much sense.

So in your mind, an empire sending an army of robots and monsters to conquer and kill everyone else isn't evil because at least they're not conscripting their own people?

Well, Conquer =/= Kill. Only reason Killing even really ends up happening is because other contries constrict their men and send them to die against marching empire of progress. Now, granted, I know nothing of empire itself. If it's shown to be tyrranical and bad in general, sure, but if they are a normal civilization that just advanced so much due to Magiteck, every single ruler that didn't join with them by default to benefit their own citizens with all those advantages, is basically too greedy to give their own power up.

But, I am a weirdo, that considers things like patriotism and souverenity, to be meaningless romanticism. As a globalist that believes that borders and such are basically a sublte form of evil, as species should be united under the banner "humanity" not under tons of smaller banners of "french/american/whatever", I find the idea of joining all the society under the common goal, without the need to fight over resources and territory, to be objectively good.

But perhaps, not coming off as an evil empire from a cartoon, that sends Kaiju on enemies would've been a better strategy, true.

Well, Conquer =/= Kill. Only reason Killing even really ends up happening is because other contries constrict their men and send them to die against marching empire of progress. Now, granted, I know nothing of empire itself. If it's shown to be tyrranical and bad in general, sure, but if they are a normal civilization that just advanced so much due to Magiteck, every single ruler that didn't join with them by default to benefit their own citizens with all those advantages, is basically too greedy to give their own power up.

But, I am a weirdo, that considers things like patriotism and souverenity, to be meaningless romanticism. As a globalist that believes that borders and such are basically a sublte form of evil, as species should be united under the banner "humanity" not under tons of smaller banners of "french/american/whatever", I find the idea of joining all the society under the common goal, without the need to fight over resources and territory, to be objectively good.

But perhaps, not coming off as an evil empire from a cartoon, that sends Kaiju on enemies would've been a better strategy, true.

This is a discussion for another thread entirely, but I'd argue there's a world of difference between "Let's unite under the banner of progress" and "Unite or die".

The former is something I absolutely agree with. In our own reality, the world uniting together under a single purpose (and likely, a single world government) is something I would champion.

But if those proposing such unity were doing so while killing anyone who didn't agree, they'd lose me.

sappyday

Ardyn being Ifrit

Here's the source with Tabata talking about the summons
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-director-answers-tough-questions-/1100-6442847/

The source that says that
Chapter 0 takes place after a few chapters
. It's in German so I have no idea what it actually says.
http://jpgames.de/2016/08/final-fantasy-xv-neues-charakter-design-nicht-von-nomura/

It could still be
Ifrit cause the poster doesn't prove as to why it couldn't be Ifrit
(although many do believe that it's more akin to Chaos).

Also in that interview Tabata is being very vague about the amount of summons in the game. He has mentioned before there won't be a whole lot compared to previous installments, but he doesn't really imply there won't be more than

Mailbox

For the top bolding, I think the 2 of us need to watch Kingsglaive (from what I've heard, there's a LOT of death going on there during what is supposed to be a peace treaty signing... so....)

As for the bottom bolding, that is a very short sighted, ignores basic human psychology, and basically whittles away history and emotion from people. The idea of a "common goal, without the need to fight over resources and territory, to be objectively good" is generally impossible because of... well a lot of things least of which is basic greed among other things. Civil wars would break out like a LOT just due to the (mostly) necessary oppression needed to make a world without borders possible. There are way too many variables to look into before judging borders, national autonomy, and culture as being "subtle form of evil".

But we could go onto politics a lot, and maybe this thread isn't where we should hang our laundry... or something.

Outside of graphical issues, what they hell do you think people want? Explain rather than shitpost, please.

Voice acting and characters that aren't embarrassing. Game systems deeper than Kingdom Hearts. A consistent world design. A decent soundtrack instead of Florence and Leona Lewis.

Voice acting and characters that aren't embarrassing. Game systems deeper than Kingdom Hearts. A consistent world design. A decent soundtrack instead of Florence and Leona Lewis.

I'll grant you the first, but the latter 3 are 100% opinion, and every single track of the OST so far has been great (I like Florence, but I'm referring to all of the Shimomura we've heard so far).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Hyperbole, your being nonsensical.

Erm, yes they are. Magiteck are those weird tall guys with fake faces. I'm pretty sure these are just regular soldiers.

Since the game turned to 15, all soldiers have generally been replaced with robots. They don't want you massacring people so as to get that T rating.(although i can recall one call of duty that got a T rating, which was weird)

Mailbox

I'll give you voice acting to an extent. I don't find it that bad (b-tier) but we also get the JP dub, so its not a real biggy (in fact that' SOMETHING PEOPLE WANT in japanese games)

Game systems are in fact deeper than in the original kingdom hearts. Have you played Kh2FM or BBSFM? Because those systems can be pretty fun and deep. Try fighting some of the harder superbosses if you don't believe me. (also look into leveling up you're drives, mate)

World design is consistant. There are regions, they each have a consistent design to them. I don't understand what you mean by this... care to explain?

As for the soundtrack, I can see Florence (or rather just stand by me) being divisive. That said the OST from Shinomura is ACE! Also... uhm... Leona Lewis doesn't have a song in this game.... Are you just trolling?

The Japanese version sounds more natural. Play it like that. There will be an option in the English release.

That doesn't solve the problem of the poor translation that will be shown at the bottom of your screen. Sure, bad voice dialogue isn't quite as cringe worthy when you can't hear it, but it's still the way you're going to experience the story.

Koozek

Wow, amazing catch! That image is from like 2008!!

On a small note I have a feeling that the kingdom of Solheim has been removed from the game?

Lucis, Nifelheim, Accordo and Tenebrae are all in to varying levels, but Solheim has never been mentioned again since the E3 2013 trailer. My guess is that it would have played a key role in the "Versus epic" but for a standalone game it was simply too much perhaps.
I wondered too a while ago, but then I saw it being mentioned a few days ago in a preview or maybe in that official pamphlet goodie for those who played the demo at gamescom.

EDIT:
Got it. Was the pamphlet.

CqGqWUeWEAA66x-.jpg

For the top bolding, I think the 2 of us need to watch Kingsglaive (from what I've heard, there's a LOT of death going on there during what is supposed to be a peace treaty signing... so....)

As for the bottom bolding, that is a very short sighted, ignores basic human psychology, and basically whittles away history and emotion from people. The idea of a "common goal, without the need to fight over resources and territory, to be objectively good" is generally impossible because of... well a lot of things least of which is basic greed among other things. Civil wars would break out like a LOT just due to the (mostly) necessary oppression needed to make a world without borders possible. There are way too many variables to look into before judging borders, national autonomy, and culture as being "subtle form of evil".

But we could go onto politics a lot, and maybe this thread isn't where we should hang our laundry... or something.

There is some contradiction in my own position, especially the hypocricy of calling something "pointless romanticism" yet having a strong, rather romantic view of a harmonious society. It would be silly to think my trainthought it perfect and I have it all figured out. There are just ideas and compormises our species broadly accepts, that I find to be infuriating. I hate the defeatist "That's how we humans are, can't help it, Aren't we the stinkers? *insert laugh track here* " attitude. So, if that's how we are, press the button then, nuke us to bits. What's the purpose of us existing, other than existing for existence sake, if we just go like "eh, whatever". We absolutely need to find ways around certain compromises we just accepted and certain flaws of humanity and our psychology need to be "bred" out of us with prejudice.

Now, back on topic, it would be weird for somebody to look so much like classic Amano Ifrit, in a game that uses classic Amano designs... but not be Ifrit.

There is some contradiction in my own position, especially the hypocricy of calling something "pointless romanticism" yet having a strong, rather romantic view of a harmonious society. It would be silly to think my trainthought it perfect and I have it all figured out. There are just ideas and compormises our species broadly accepts, that I find to be infuriating. I hate the defeatist "That's how we humans are, can't help it, Aren't we the stinkers? *insert laugh track here* " attitude. So, if that's how we are, press the button then, nuke us to bits. What's the purpose of us existing, other than existing for existence sake, if we just go like "eh, whatever". We absolutely need to find ways around certain compromises we just accepted and certain flaws of humanity and our psychology need to be "bred" out of us with prejudice.

Now, back on topic, it would be weird for somebody to look so much like classic Amano Ifrit, in a game that uses classic Amano designs... but not be Ifrit.

Yeah, whether Chapter 0 is just a classic in media res bit or actually the near-final boss moments,
I have a hard time buying that we're not looking at Ifrit in some form or another in that scene.

sappyday

I wondered too a while ago, but then I saw it being mentioned a few days ago in a preview or maybe in that official pamphlet goodie for those who played the demo at gamescom.

EDIT:
Got it. Was the pamphlet.

CqGqWUeWEAA66x-.jpg

Oh shit. Good catch. Maybe that area you posted from a page back might be Solhiem. The airships are labelled "SAF" so maybe it's in Solhiem where Niflhiem builds their machinery. That area does look very industrial.

That doesn't solve the problem of the poor translation that will be shown at the bottom of your screen. Sure, bad voice dialogue isn't quite as cringe worthy when you can't hear it, but it's still the way you're going to experience the story.

Hmm. I don't have problem with the dialogue at all. The VA I can see but not the dialogue itself. Nothing amazing, nothing bad.

Yeah, whether Chapter 0 is just a classic in media res bit or actually the near-final boss moments,
I have a hard time buying that we're not looking at Ifrit in some form or another in that scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but
hasn't Ifrit always been a monster like summon? Isn't he basically like Flamelurker from Demon's Souls but with horns. The boss in Chapter 0 looks way too human like and egotistical just by the way it was sitting on the throne.

Koozek

Oh shit. Good catch. Maybe that area you posted from a page back might be Solhiem. The airships are labelled "SAF" so maybe it's in Solhiem where Niflhiem builds their machinery. That area does look very industrial.

Hmm. I don't have problem with the dialogue at all. The VA I can see but not the dialogue itself. Nothing amazing, nothing bad.
Pretty sure that was Niflheim. On the prototype it's written in Japanese beneath the image and it's a dark, industrial looking city like the one in the E3 trailer.

hasn't Ifrit always been a monster like summon? Isn't he basically like Flamelurker from Demon's Souls but with horns. The boss in Chapter 0 looks way too human like and egotistical just by the way it was sitting on the throne.

This wouldn't even be a particularly crazy summon redesign. The figure in Chapter 0 is most likely (though not definitely) Ifrit. Dominion over fire, large demonic horns, and Ifrit in his earlier incarnations leaned more towards human than monster. As each summon's design drifts a bit between games (see Bahamut for a great example) I think the flame-wielding creature in Chapter 0 is well within the margin of error for being Ifrit.

No he wasn't. Here you go : http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ifrit always a horned muscular dude with enough presense of mind to wear some clothes. Bestial designs came into play much MUCH later

sappyday

No he wasn't. Here you go : http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ifrit always a horned muscular dude with enough presense of mind to wear some clothes. Bestial designs came into play much MUCH later

Still doesn't seem to resemble the boss in chapter 0 besides the fire and horns. Even the earlier versions have straight up beast like characteristics. The boss in chapter 0 is straight up more like a devil. I'm more inclined to believe it's a main character, specifically
Ravus

Mailbox

Still doesn't seem to resemble the boss in chapter 0 besides the fire and horns. Even the earlier versions have straight up beast like characteristics. The boss in chapter 0 is straight up more like a devil. I'm more inclined to believe it's a main character, specifically
Ravus

It looks like the CCff7 version of Ifirit mixed with the earlier versions of Ifirit and altered the fact to look more man than beast. Look at the Horn style, and the goat feet.

sappyday

It looks like the CCff7 version of Ifirit mixed with the earlier versions of Ifirit and altered the fact to look more man than beast. Look at the Horn style, and the goat feet.

http://i.imgur.com/6RU81Cq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3lOUGKY.jpg

Seems more like a big human. One leg at the very least is normal. Hell at a closer look it might not even have horns, it could be that tree shit behind him. Face and arm resemble
Ravus. Could be Ravus is Ifrit, but I'm not taking it.

Ifrit is for sure in the game though. He's listed among the
summons we'll get. However, I think it'll be more like the recent versions.

Mailbox

Seems more like a big human. One leg at the very least is normal. Hell at a closer look it might not even have horns, it could be that tree shit behind him. Face and arm resemble

Alright, I stand corrected.
Interesting to see how this all plays out.

KupoNut

I'll grant you the first, but the latter 3 are 100% opinion, and every single track of the OST so far has been great (I like Florence, but I'm referring to all of the Shimomura we've heard so far).

I also have zero issues with the banter and voice acting presented in Episode Duscae or the Master Version gameplay. I probably have low standards (or because I survived games like Type-0 and Star Ocean 4)

artsi

They're definitely horns that move with his head :p

yAEW7Zb.gif

Top Bottom