• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think New 3DS is a bad name, they're likely just copying what apple did with one of the iPads. It's not really too confusing, it's supposed to be the new 3DS that replaces the old 3DS so it works as a revision.
Wii U is a bad name on a couple levels. It's too expensive and complicated (as a system) so the Wii market wouldn't come back and while I think what they were going for is "we're going for everyone and you" (the core players) the name is embarrassing to say which is pretty bad for the name of your product.
NX sounds pretty good, not sure if they can use it seeing as there are a ton of things called NX and I imagine they cannot trademark it.
It needs to be short (abbreviated in 3 letters or fewer) and not feel awful to say.
NX, NEX, etc.

Clessidor

Ok, so I have been following this and other NX speculation and I don't remember Nintendo saying NX was a portable at all. I only heard it would be a hybrid. Whatever that means. Anyone else feel it will be a console first and then maybe an add on allows for off screen play, possible portability? Please don't hate on me if I missed Nintendo stating it's a portable. (=

Nintendo only stated it to be a gaming device and that they wouldn't consider it as a succesor of 3DS or Wii U. It's supposed to be something new.

Besides of that we only have rumours, leaks and speculation. The Eurogamer rumour/leak talks about a hybrid that is portable with detachable controllers and it's devkits are based on TegraX1 chips. And consider how many sides back that rumour up, this is very likely.

what-ok

Nintendo only stated it to be a gaming device and that they wouldn't consider it as a succesor of 3DS or Wii U. It's supposed to be something new.

Besides of that we only have rumours, leaks and speculation. The Eurogamer rumour/leak talks about a hybrid that is portable with detachable controllers and it's devkits are based on TegraX1 chips. And consider how many sides back that rumour up, this is very likely.
Cool. Thanks. That is what I figured. Just making sure I wasn't missing something. Getting excited to find out what it really is.

LordOfChaos

That's a great observation. Specific mention of gaming applications for Parker while Nvidia dropped the next Shield Tablet seems very relevant for our current rumour. On top of that the CPUs on this seem to align with the hind that CPU will be better than the Jaguars, given also the focus on HMP.

This is also hot on the heels of

question guy: Hey Jen-Hsun, tell us about any tegra wins that are specifically not automobiles
Jen-Hsun: *stumbling* err, uh, automobiles

After leaving phones and abandoning the Shield line updates, including gaming in a slide is certainly interesting.

And yeah, 2 Denver 2 plus 4 A57s should at least slightly get my nod over 6 Jaguar cores. We'll have to dig into Denver 2 itself though.

greekappi

Yeah, the clean, post-Nintendo branding of Wii/DS is probably done, I'd assume. Although maybe not, Miitomo was their first foray into mobile, but I think whatever the NX is, it'll lean more heavily on the Nintendo brand and gaming rather than going for that same clean, friendly, generic branding that the Wii/DS lines had that was in keeping with their Brain Age/Wii Sports/Wii Fit/Nintendogs line of software, rather than their software with more continuity to the pre-Wii/DS days. But I think we're all thinking this, no? With the return of red, Nintendo name front and center, use of the face buttons in the new slogan, etc...

Perhaps we're just seeing what we want to see though :p.

Is this return of the red Nintendo name, front and center, and the use of face buttons in the new slogan something concrete or is this what you'd like to see? Are there examples of what you're talking about?

Is this return of the red Nintendo name, front and center, and the use of face buttons in the new slogan something concrete or is this what you'd like to see? Are there examples of what you're talking about?

Nintendo had all of their retail space heavily rebranded in this manner, has changed its social media branding, and has shown off this new branding theme in web and tv spots.

Nintendo's new "look" has been rolling out for just under a year. Red as the primary color, white text and accents, flat and clean designs, with a lot of emphasis on iconic character portraits and the ABXY button cross.

Ok, so I have been following this and other NX speculation and I don't remember Nintendo saying NX was a portable at all. I only heard it would be a hybrid. Whatever that means. Anyone else feel it will be a console first and then maybe an add on allows for off screen play, possible portability? Please don't hate on me if I missed Nintendo stating it's a portable. (=

Multiple reports have come out defining NX as a portable device with a base station that hooks up to your TV. This is what people mean when they refer to it as a hybrid.

The two most notable ones:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

Nintendo's own comments have previously suggested that NX offers a "new concept" that is designed to address "multiple play environments that differ by country."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508qa/02.html

Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

Since Iwata specifically brought up the Japan/West dichotomy, most people understand this as a platform that will support both the mobile-centric gaming trend in Japan as well as the more TV-focused trends in the West.

The easiest solution would be a single device that can do both. It's possible he could be saying there will be multiple devices, but aside from a shared library, it's hard to imagine that as a truly "brand new concept." It'd be mostly in line with the status quo.

Shiggy

Nintendo had all of their retail space heavily rebranded in this manner, has changed its social media branding, and has shown off this new branding theme in web and tv spots.

Nintendo's new "look" has been rolling out for just under a year. Red as the primary color, white text and accents, flat and clean designs, with a lot of emphasis on iconic character portraits and the ABXY button cross.

Is this US-only?

MuchoMalo

Banned

I'm pretty sure all of this only applies to NoA.

rtrbad

Banned

Hmm.. Nintendo (N) logo with a button cross (X) and a slogan "There's no play (place) like it"

I wonder if they won't keep NX as the final name, and use the button cross as the platform logo that would apply to one system that can be played any place you go.

I'm sure this has been said before but I didn't see it anywhere so...

21XX

Banned
Hmm.. Nintendo (N) logo with a button cross (X) and a slogan "There's no play (place) like it"

I wonder if they won't keep NX as the final name, and use the button cross as the platform logo that would apply to one system that can be played any place you go.

I'm sure this has been said before but I didn't see it anywhere so...

X as "cross" has little relevance in the western mass market. Don't think they'll go that route. I do think "Nintendo" will be part of the official name in all branding, though. I think they'll position it as the Nintendo.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm honestly fine if this is what we get. Basically Parker being an X1 just with a fuck ton more memory bandwidth and less power hungry is a ok with me.

Memory bandwidth was my #1 worry as it was. Doubling to 50 more than solves that issue for me at this power level and heat envelope..

rtrbad

Banned
X as "cross" has little relevance in the western mass market. Don't think they'll go that route. I do think "Nintendo" will be part of the official name in all branding, though. I think they'll position it as the Nintendo.

You think? IDK whenever something has cross in it I naturally abbreviate it with x... xfit, x-ing, etc.

Maybe it won't be the letter X but the button cross itself that represents the "name" of the system, preceded by Nintendo? Maybe X is just a stand in for that branding style. The Nintendo console formerly known as X, <insert symbol>

Mithos

I respect your opinion and find it even understandable

It is not just a home console for sure, so judging it that way seems at least strange and probably you would not do you any favor in looking at it that way only

Well the problem is, that beyond I'm to lazy to switch on my HDTV, but I can still play because it has a screen of its own, I have absolutely ZERO interest in a handheld/portable, so I can't really look at it in any positive way.

Sucks to be me...

Low price like hell or more powerful then we believe is the only two options that will save it for me personally.

Neoxon

I'm honestly fine if this is what we get. Basically Parker being an X1 just with a fuck ton more memory bandwidth and less power hungry is a ok with me.

Memory bandwidth was my #1 worry as it was. Doubling to 50 more than solves that issue for me at this power level and heat envelope..
It would certainly explain the possibility of an overclocked X1 in the dev kits.

MoonFrog

I still don't get why the Nvidia and hybrid stuff is bad news?!

Best way to shared-library and gets them a buy-in gimmick as opposed to a 'hey! you already are devoted to the ecosystem, look at the benefits a second device gets you!' gimmick.

Handheld leading, i.e. the device where their best support is and where further, Japanese, support is more likely to be enticed.

Less power at the TV? Yes, but I don't really see how Nintendo manages to squeeze a western corebox in between PS4 and Xbox One, especially with its bad western and home console support in general.

Lead with your strongest foot instead of retooling to satisfy a particular, niche consumer in the west that wants a Nintendo PS4.

I mean, hybrid was always the obvious solution that we thought had already been taken off the table.

It's the only approach that makes sense if they're thinking of using mobile games and licensing as some of their primary marketing tools. They're going to need a platform-agnostic branding for their mobile titles and the licensed works, and they'll want that branding to overlap with their platforms, too.

You mean firmly Nintendo branding? Yeah. I also think mobile has the generic, platform agnostic, low key branding cornered. Now they're in a spot where they need to set themselves apart from mobile and 'casual' gaming, while still being open and accessible to those gamers. But clearly, NX can't compete with phones/tablets on functionality, convenience, etc. All it can compete on is the games and how they are played. Not even really price with everyone having phones and what not, but obviously lower price is better for an additional device.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I feel confident in thinking that there won't be an announcement today. I don't think they'd want to announce it on the same day that they announced their PAX lineup anyway. Really, I'm not feeling good about anything happening at all until at least October; not even a announcement of an event date.

I thought the limit was 3GB RAM with a 64-bit bus.

It was 3 back when that was the largest chip. Now there are 6GB chips.

21XX

Banned
You think? IDK whenever something has cross in it I naturally abbreviate it with x... xfit, x-ing, etc.

Hm, that's true. I didn't think of some of those. I still kind of think that it doesn't click quite quickly enough for super broad appeal.

But depending on how they position it, it could work.

Neoxon

I feel confident in thinking that there won't be an announcement today. I don't think they'd want to announce it on the same day that they announced their PAX lineup anyway. Really, I'm not feeling good about anything happening at all for until at least October.
But wouldn't that go against what Eurogamer said (unless Nintendo decided later to delay the reveal because of the PlayStation Meeting)?

NateDrake

These are very, very silly people and I'm looking forward to the post-reveal schadenfreude almost as much as I am to the reveal itself.

Edit: Talked with Player Essence. Moving forward from the unpleasantness of Twitter.

But wouldn't that go against what Eurogamer said (unless Nintendo decided later to delay the reveal because of the PlayStation Meeting)?
No? They have time to make an announcement for a September event. They could send out invites this week and still host it in mid-September.

Banned
They'll retreat and hide. Player Essence will say he never took a side, and only reported on things - though his Tweets show otherwise. But he sure won't talk about that Nvidia slide because, and I quote "Stretch Arm Strong in the house" when it comes to mentioning that Nvidia slide.

No? They have time to make an announcement for a September event. They could send out invites this week and still host it in mid-September.
"But Nate, the slide said gaming applications not gaming hardware! Stop reaching."

Clessidor

I feel confident in thinking that there won't be an announcement today. I don't think they'd want to announce it on the same day that they announced their PAX lineup anyway. Really, I'm not feeling good about anything happening at all until at least October; not even a announcement of an event date.

Well, the week is still young.
But November/December would be too late for a reveal. I would expect something before. And keeping expectations down might be not a bad strategy, but we shouldn't be too pessimistic.

Neoxon

I was referring to the idea that the reveal could be in October, when Eurogamer said September.

As you said, there's still time for a September reveal to be a thing.

These are very, very silly people and I'm looking forward to the post-reveal schadenfreude almost as much as I am to the reveal itself.

Is anyone outside of PlayerEssence and SuperMetalDave really pushing this "Eurogamer and half the gaming press are totally wrong" angle? I need to know... for gloating purposes, mostly.

Unless Nintendo wants to wait and see what's announced, I don't think waiting till past October or at least very late October is wise.
I guess we can look at it as MS and Sony's announcement to release cycle->
Reveal by May, release by November 6 months later. If Nintendo delayed the release of the system till March by 4 months I guess we can guess Nintendo delayed the reveal by 4 months which would mean September. At most October since Nintendo isn't going the "here's a teaser, see you at e3!"
So I guess October makes sense here if they don't want to split the reveals into two shows...but it's cutting things pretty tight

Knobiwan

Neo Member
To take the most conservative approach here, the new latest timetable for announcement would be after the release of Pokemon Sun/Moon, launching November 18, 2016. Now it would be disadvantageous to announce a new console during your holiday console sale surge, especially if the new console is a hybrid handheld, where the 3DS will likely see a spike in sales this holiday due to Pokemon. This puts the expected reveal after Christmas and New Years, so a console reveal may not happen until Mid to Late January.

Alternatively, at this point, a console delay is probably unavoidable and may end up pushing this whole thing to E3 of next year, where the console won't launch until holiday of 2017.

But absolute worst case scenarios notwithstanding, I would guess February as the latest reveal date at this point in time, with an announcement of the reveal in mid to late January.

Has there been anything from Nvidia that has even REMOTELY indicate a possibility of their chips being used in the NX?

No. There hasn't been pretty much anything official that hints at ANYTHING.

At this point, the most solid lead we have is the Eurogamer report, which has been backed up by a surprising number of sources, which means it's more than likely pretty accurate.

But yeah, nothing official out of Nintendo or any potential business partner.

magash

Has there been anything from Nvidia that has even REMOTELY indicate a possibility of their chips being used in the NX?

Nope. But that could be because they are under tight NDA's from Nintendo...and it doesn't really matter if Nvidia says anything. We have multiple independent sources testifying to a hybrid powered by at the very least a Tegra X1 SOC.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Did the Hot Chips Tegra presentation already happen?

ggx2ac

Twitter is a cesspool when it comes to NX discussion. Sorry, guys, that Nvidia slide is just laughable according to Twitter.

Oh, I saw this right now. Somewhat glad I don't bother with this.

That's why I just post my speculation here and think about random things like, "Takashi Mochizuki has written two articles in the last year where now the description of the NX has changed to a hybrid device for handheld and home console. (And an article where he has sources for the PS4 Neo and PS4 Slim, and now Eurogamer just showed the Slim is real.)
If Nvidia Tegra wasn't being used for NX what else would work for a hybrid? DMP would be more likely than AMD but their M3000 press release is very sketchy without any proper technical specs and their 1st half 2017 release sounds like it's too inaccurate to predict that Nintendo would launch NX using DMP's M3000 SoC. AMD sold their mobile division to Qualcomm years ago so, is it even possible to make a Polaris SoC for something that needs to act as a portable?..."

Etc etc.

Banned
They canceled their Shield product line but still say the Tegra will be used for gaming applications.

1) Why kill off your only dedicating gaming machine?
2) why say your new mobile gpu works for gaming after killing your only gaming machine?

The answer? You'll sell way more Tegras inside an NX then your Shield ever would.

They'd probably sell more NX's in a month then shield devices had sold their entire lifespan.

georly

Is anyone outside of PlayerEssence and SuperMetalDave really pushing this "Eurogamer and half the gaming press are totally wrong" angle? I need to know... for gloating purposes, mostly.

Yes. I had 2 of them try to argue with me on twitter about it today. Defense: Eurogamer is just a clickbait site. And they also have inside sources, and I need to trust them.

One of them literally quoted a nintendo job listing for a handheld retail representative as proof that nintendo is also making a console.

Nevermind eurogamer/kotaku/etc have been correct about leaks in the past - the fact that they don't have 100% accuracy means I should believe internet randos over them.

rtrbad

Banned
Hm, that's true. I didn't think of some of those. I still kind of think that it doesn't click quite quickly enough for super broad appeal.

But depending on how they position it, it could work.

This is a real quick mockup in paint of what I'm referring to. Not naming it "NX" but the X being a standin for the pattern created by the button cross.

txTeuMW.jpg

EDIT: because the image doesn't appear to work http://i.imgur.com/txTeuMW.jpg

Yes. I had 2 of them try to argue with me on twitter about it today. Defense: Eurogamer is just a clickbait site. And they also have inside sources, and I need to trust them.

Dunno about PlayerEssence, but any source of SMD's needs to run far away. Dude will stab them in the back in a heartbeat.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did the Hot Chips Tegra presentation already happen?

Am I the only one who find the name "Hot Chips" incredibly bizarre? It sounds like something off of Arrested Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom