• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

Zoe

He's got an appealing design, and his VA here shows passion and the select lines here sound great.

It's good casting, but the script that he reads from isn't very good. He sounds too flowery at times.

I think his delivery was just too melodic for me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Then the problem is completely different. They're working with motion capture that's from a completely different culture. Maybe it's worth playing the JP version.
Yea but so did the actors of TW3. I've heard very little about the Japanese dub of MGSV, that game was mocapped by western actors and dubbed in Japan and I never saw a lot of complaints about that. I wonder how that approach would work for a FF game.

He's got an appealing design, and his VA here shows passion and the select lines here sound great.

It's good casting, but the script that he reads from isn't very good. He sounds too flowery at times.

Is it possible this is a quirk of Niflheim speech?

Dy_Cy

Seems fitting considering his design and attitude.

I'm gonna play with the japanese voices anyway. Even though the english cast seems fine, the original sounds way better.

wmlk

We'd have to hear Iedolas and whomever to make sure. I just think the localizers missed their mark.

Unfortunately, we don't have the Japanese script translation to make an immediate comparison. The only line from him we have is "This is turning out to be quite the ordeal."

Voror

I did sometimes get that feeling in Kingsglaive, but he definitely plays it up more than anyone else. I often wondered if he was purposely overdoing it as a form of mockery or trying to get people underestimating him.

JayEH

Yea but so did the actors of TW3. I've heard very little about the Japanese dub of MGSV, that game was mocapped by western actors and dubbed in Japan and I never saw a lot of complaints about that. I wonder how that approach would work for a FF game.

I think that's probably the best compromise imo. You get a natural performance in the west but at the same time the dubbed Japanese version is directed by the original creators.

We'd have to hear Iedolas and whomever to make sure. I just think the localizers missed their mark.

Unfortunately, we don't have the Japanese script translation to make an immediate comparison. The only line from him we have is "This is turning out to be quite the ordeal."

I thought since Niflheim has a more old-timey aesthetic (thought juxtaposed with technology) the script might have called for them to speak with a greater amount of formality and flower. Though in Ardyn's specific case...

I did sometimes get that feeling in Kingsglaive, but he definitely plays it up more than anyone else. I often wondered if he was purposely overdoing it as a form of mockery or trying to get people underestimating him.

In Kingsglaive when he audiences with Regis, it came off as mocking/insulting to me.

This is also a distinct possibility. It could be a result of that "sincere insincerity". For my part, I really like Ardyn and his delivery under the lens that he's just being the biggest asshole he can be.

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean he (spoilered because I can't remember if that exact line was in the trailer)
comes in unannounced and yet calls it "most auspicious of days"

Geg

For my part, I really like Ardyn and his delivery under the lens that he's just being the biggest asshole he can be.

That's kind of how I've been reading his character too. Him being voiced by Keiji Fujiwara in Japanese automatically lends credence to the idea of him always being a sarcastic dick lol

TheTux

Ardyn's English VA (Darin De Paul) voiced Reinhardt in Overwatch.

He did Samuel Hayden in Doom too. Seems like this has been a pretty good year for him.

Oh I see, you were talking about Overwatch and english VA, I thought you were talking about anime and JPN VA.

Voror

I thought since Niflheim has a more old-timey aesthetic (thought juxtaposed with technology) the script might have called for them to speak with a greater amount of formality and flower. Though in Ardyn's specific case...

This is also a distinct possibility. It could be a result of that "sincere insincerity". For my part, I really like Ardyn and his delivery under the lens that he's just being the biggest asshole he can be.

I think Iedolas had a bit of that going on in Kingsglaive though some of it also seemed to be formal speak with Regis.

This was my reading of him to a degree as well. And there are indications that he has some sort of agenda going on that may or may not be the same as the Empire's.

Teknoman

I still feel Gladiolus VA isnt a match. Its too gruff or at least the deliveries just seem kinda plain. Noct has his ups and downs. Ardyn, Prompto, and Ignis sound pretty good (except some of Prompto's random jokes).

Rush_Khan

This was a great video. I've been trying to avoid spoilers for the game so this is the only XV video I've watched in a while. The actors sound really excited about the game. I think some of the voices are a little weird like Noctis, but overall it sounds great.

Tyaren

I still feel Gladiolus VA isnt a match. Its too gruff or at least the deliveries just seem kinda plain. Noct has his ups and downs. Ardyn, Prompto, and Ignis sound pretty good (except some of Prompto's random jokes).

I really like English Prompto's random squeaks when talking. XD I actually think he's doing the best job translating his character to the Western audience.

It's gonna happen. I can see Hojo scenes now, dude gonna have more cartoony pointless rambling pseudoscience monologues like Mayuri from Bleach. It's like Shira wasn't already stupidly over the top evil already, let's turn it to 100!

I kinda have to agree with the Hojo = mayuri thing .... both ARE crazy scientists

And the shinra did made fucked things/experiments

I really wouldn't mind

FF7 is Imo quite f**ked up in so many areas in terms of characters going for the full course would please me ... A LOT

Byvar

The voices are actually alright. It's the English translation that doesn't flow well at all.
Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcoRb7B7PCM
Japanese (very rough and very literal translation):
Regis (to Noctis, in the middle of a sentence): "... not to be a bother to your dear friends."
Noct: "You came all the way here to tell me that?"
Regis (to the 3 guys): "As you know, my son is hopeless, so... please take good care of him."
Ignis: "You can count on us."
Gladio: "We'll see the prince safely to Altissia without fail."
Prompto: "Y-yeah, me too!"

English:
Regis (to Noctis): "You place a great burden on those who would bear with you."
Noct: "Hah... you're one to talk."
Regis (to the 3 guys): "I ask not that you guide my wayward son -- merely that you remain at his side."
Ignis: "Indeed, your grace."
Gladio: "We'll see the prince to Altissia if it's the last thing we see."
Prompto: "Yeah."

The biggest problem I have with this is Ignis' line. He says "Indeed" but what is he agreeing with exactly? It's not what you would say to someone who is asking you something: "I ask that you do this for me Ignis." In this case, "Leave it to me" flows a lot better than "Indeed".
But there are some other nitpicks. Note that the Japanese script, even with my shoddy translation, shows more emotion than the English script. Japanese Prompto is still clearly not comfortable with speaking to the king, while English Prompto is just okay with it. Japanese Regis seems very caring of his son and actually seems worried. He speaks to him and his friends like a normal (Japanese) father would, while English Regis delivers a grand and majestic speech in language fit for a king but not for a father.

Of course, this is all nitpicking, but I found many weird translation choices like these back in Episode Duscae and it looks like this hasn't improved. The 50-minute gameplay video we saw was riddled with small things like these that just don't make the English dub enjoyable to me at all. Sadly, even with the Japanese VA we'll still get the English translation in the subtitles, inconsistencies and all. I can more or less follow the flow of the Japanese lines, but I feel sorry for those who can't and are stuck with this translation.

CqfI8bGUEAAdE95.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/767828990316781568

Glad they decided not to give most of the roles to the usual VAs you would expect. I don't want to spend the game listening to Troy, O'brien, and Lowenthal for the 100th time. They're great actors of course, but I'd like more variety. I enjoyed what I heard from this though and the new footage was also refreshing. I might actually go with the dub on this.

.JayZii

Banned
This just made me realize I can't hear Matt Mercer voice act anymore without immediately mentally going to a Critical Role npc.

Seems pretty good. Although I kind of wish Ignis's voice actor spoke more closely to his natural speaking voice.

Tyaren

The voices are actually alright. It's the English translation that doesn't flow well at all.

English:

The biggest problem I have with this is Ignis' line. He says "Indeed" but what is he agreeing with exactly? It's not what you would say to someone who is asking you something: "I ask that you do this for me Ignis." In this case, "Leave it to me" flows a lot better than "Indeed".
But there are some other nitpicks. Note that the Japanese script, even with my shoddy translation, shows more emotion than the English script. Japanese Prompto is still clearly not comfortable with speaking to the king, while English Prompto is just okay with it. Japanese Regis seems very caring of his son and actually seems worried. He speaks to him and his friends like a normal (Japanese) father would, while English Regis delivers a grand and majestic speech in language fit for a king but not for a father.

Of course, this is all nitpicking, but I found many weird translation choices like these back in Episode Duscae and it looks like this hasn't improved. The 50-minute gameplay video we saw was riddled with small things like these that just don't make the English dub enjoyable to me at all. Sadly, even with the Japanese VA we'll still get the English translation in the subtitles, inconsistencies and all. I can more or less follow the flow of the Japanese lines, but I feel sorry for those who can't and are stuck with this translation.

Great analysis. Yes, that is also what I noticed. They took a few too many liberties with the English translation and in some cases it shows the translators are not fully familiar with the characters and their relation to eachother.

I'll never get over the scene were they shoehorn the kings alleged death in the newspaper article in English, whereas there is no mention of that in the Japanese version. Noctis' reaction and that of his friends makes absolutely no sense after that bomb has dropped in the English version.

I also don't really like Gladio in English. In Japanese he sounds much more lighthearted and jolly, whereas in English he's just monotonously grunting in an incredibly deep voice. Every bit of nuance is gone. The voice actor has a normal voice. It seems to be straining for him to keep talking in a so much lower voice.

Mediking

Me too. And I will always watch in a language I understand instaid of reading text.

Nearly almost all anime have better Japanese voice acting than their English counterparts. I don't give a damn about reading text as long as there is amazing voice acting that's full of emotion. I tried watching Attack on Titan in English after watching in Japanese... hell no! Never again! Sticking to Japanese!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, 6 minutes is kinda long for a cast video. At least we won't get any "cringe", "urgh" etc posts right away since they've to watch the entire video.

Edit: False alarm, it still happened.
HAHAHAHA

I don't think the English VA is bad. I'm glad there's dual audio, and I'll be using it, but even if there wasn't I wouldn't be too upset being forced to go with what I've seen so far. The translation, however...

Ardyn is one of my favourite characters ever since he first appeared in a japanese trailer with his silly hat. :D

as for dual audio, i pretty much decided i'll go with japanese. But you never know, i actually ended up using the English for lightning returns.

English:

Interesting. It seems as if they're trying to inject some XII style faux Elizabethan flare. But the characters weren't really written for that. Who's doing the translation, anyway?

Teknoman

Is Luna one of the first FF female characters to actually look like she's seen some fighting action? Just noticed that bruise and cut under her eye.

hemo memo

Nearly almost all anime have better Japanese voice acting than their English counterparts. I don't give a damn about reading text as long as there is amazing voice acting that's full of emotion. I tried watching Attack on Titan in English after watching in Japanese... hell no! Never again! Sticking to Japanese!

To me it's not better and they always overact. Like I said. To me I just perfer to watch it in a language I understand.

The voice acting is not that bad, it could be way worse. I did not know Mercer is in this. Also no Cidney voice actor in this doc. Unfortunate, since I want to hear more of her southern accent.

Probably. This is the same production team that said this about women in their games in the face of fan feedback
aeDk7U1.jpg

GKlPU8D.jpg

CLNmtOU.jpg

Oh, but they had no problem changing the outfit of the character from that recent mobile game because fans deemed him "too sexy"?

On topic though, Ardyn sounds just fucking amazing. I also love the demeanor and of the actor who's playing him and how articulate he his. He seems like someone taken straight from classic Hollywood,

I guess I'll get used to it over 40 hours or however long. :/

Probably. I got so used to Bat Noct after 10 hours of Duscae that I found it disconcerting when they warmed up his timbre and jumped him an octave. As long as the acting is halfway competent, I think most people will adjust OK, even if it doesn't match their initial ideal.

Top Bottom