• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

Dunno about PlayerEssence, but any source of SMD's needs to run far away. Dude will stab them in the back in a heartbeat.

A lot of these 'powerful console' truthers just don't want nintendo to do anything else, so they make all evidence point at their hopes and anything that doesn't agree with it is false or clickbait. They don't understand that things aren't always related, or that their interpretations are just one possible assumption.

Like, the guy literally did not understand that retail job listing is almost assuredly for help with promoting the 3DS this holiday season - not for promoting NX's handheld counterpart next year.

It's the greatest form of denial.

Again, nothing is 100% til nintendo reveals it, but come on, if I had to bet, I'd put all my money on eurogamer being somewhat close to what nintendo is actually making over them.

Malus

To take the most conservative approach here, the new latest timetable for announcement would be after the release of Pokemon Sun/Moon, launching November 18, 2016. Now it would be disadvantageous to announce a new console during your holiday console sale surge, especially if the new console is a hybrid handheld, where the 3DS will likely see a spike in sales this holiday due to Pokemon. This puts the expected reveal after Christmas and New Years, so a console reveal may not happen until Mid to Late January.

Alternatively, at this point, a console delay is probably unavoidable and may end up pushing this whole thing to E3 of next year, where the console won't launch until holiday of 2017.

But absolute worst case scenarios notwithstanding, I would guess February as the latest reveal date at this point in time, with an announcement of the reveal in mid to late January.

It's gonna be announced any moment now damnit :'(

ggx2ac

They canceled their Shield product line but still say the Tegra will be used for gaming applications.

1) Why kill off your only dedicating gaming machine?
2) why say your new mobile gpu works for gaming after killing your only gaming machine?

The answer? You'll sell way more Tegras inside an NX then your Shield ever would.

They'd probably sell more NX's in a month then shield devices had sold their entire lifespan.

Just because they killed their planned X1 Shield 2 tablet doesn't mean it's because of NX.

I could very well as much say that they are still getting Google or other companies to license a non-car version of Parker to use in tablets.

Oh, don't forget as I said in the first paragraph. The cancelled Shield 2 had leaked documents that it was going to use an X1. You missed that when I argued that Nvidia is still most likely to use their Shield line but with Parker which is more likely now because of HMP. Even if there isn't another Shield Tablet, a Shield Portable or Shield Set-top Box is still possible because they didn't take down FCC filings related to Bluetooth/Wireless for those.

This is a real quick mockup in paint of what I'm referring to. Not naming it "NX" but the X being a standin for the pattern created by the button cross.

txTeuMW.jpg

EDIT: because the image doesn't appear to work http://i.imgur.com/txTeuMW.jpg

They could call it Wii-tabyx

Knobiwan

Neo Member
A lot of these 'powerful console' truthers just don't want nintendo to do anything else, so they make all evidence point at their hopes and anything that doesn't agree with it is false or clickbait. They don't understand that things aren't always related, or that their interpretations are just one possible assumption.

Like, the guy literally did not understand that retail job listing is almost assuredly for help with promoting the 3DS this holiday season - not for promoting NX's handheld counterpart next year.

It's the greatest form of denial.

Again, nothing is 100% til nintendo reveals it, but come on, if I had to bet, I'd put all my money on eurogamer being somewhat close to what nintendo is actually making over them.

I sincerely cannot see Nintendo, at this point, doing anything OTHER than the hybrid offering we've seen. It just makes too much sense. Leverage your two divisions pulling resources from another into one division, make it primarily focused around your most successful marketshare(handhelds) and go from there.

If the games are there, and they should be(there have been no major layoffs in studios that we've not seen games from in years) we should see an amazing output of resources into a capable console that offers a home and mobile solution in one package. My fear was the games will go cheap and mobile-like, but after rediscovering my 3DS recently and all the full fledged options on it I gotta say I'm excited. But mostly that I can't see a traditional console even happening from Nintendo right now, it makes less sense than Sony releasing a new Vita.

Just because they killed their planned X1 Shield 2 tablet doesn't mean it's because of NX.

I could very well as much say that they are still getting Google or other companies to license a non-car version of Parker to use in tablets.

Oh, don't forget as I said in the first paragraph. The cancelled Shield 2 had leaked documents that it was going to use an X1. You missed that when I argued that Nvidia is still most likely to use their Shield line but with Parker which is more likely now because of HMP. Even if there isn't another Shield Tablet, a Shield Portable or Shield Set-top Box is still possible because they didn't take down FCC filings related to Bluetooth/Wireless for those.

So, basically, the whole gaming application could be something unrelated to the NX.

antonz

NX as described makes perfect sense when you look at the simple fact they almost went that route with the Wii U but the overall parts to do it then were way too expensive.

Jump forward 5-6 years and what's feasible is now much cheaper and the power is there to make a formidable on the go device

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Whoever asked for closing of the NX Pascal thread I really hope enjoys this discussion around the Wii branding which I read it only for the thousandth time trying to find the posts about Tegra and hot chips.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, basically, the whole gaming application could be something unrelated to the NX.

Of course it can be. 10k's the only one implying that it has to be related. I just find it funny that SMD & friends have been insisting that Tegra is dead for gaming, yet once that's proven false they just put words in people's mouths and then call it reaching. As I said on Twitter, it's childish. I don't even care which side is right since I win in some way, either way.

ggx2ac

It doesn't disprove the NX but it doesn't prove it either.

I talked about this sometime ago when everyone kept reporting on the Nvidia Shield 2 Tablet being cancelled that everyone jumped to the conclusion that it's because of NX.

I'll check my post history to find the relevant links explaining how the Shield 2 Tablet was using an X1 etc.

Knobiwan

Neo Member
It's gonna be announced any moment now damnit :'(

Oh I'm with you... I am "expecting" it any day now.... But I've been "expecting" it any day since February so I can only logically expect more delays. It's a nice Half-Life 3 vibe of not believing it will ever happen along with expecting it to happen all the time. Yay nontransparent gaming companies!

Banned
Whoever asked for closing of the NX Pascal thread I really hope enjoys this discussion around the Wii branding which I read it only for the thousandth time trying to find the posts about Tegra and hot chips.
Lol. You mean you don't enjoy the Wii branding debate that dates back to when the Wii U name was unveiled and we all laughed?

ggx2ac

Here it is, my Shield 2 post I am referring to. Will quote in a second.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=213681447

I do not understand what you are talking about.

Pascal is the architecture for their current GPUs. Tegra is one of their product line of GPUs. Are you saying that Nintendo customising a GPU they license from Nvidia will have no similarity at all to the Tegra line?

I seriously don't understand this story you are making up with Nvidia cancelling their shield 2 tablet for Nintendo to succeed. You know that tablet was rumoured to have an X1 in it from a leaked document. Do you forget that Nvidia is about to unveil their Pascal-based Tegra line at Hot Chips which may be used for their next Nvidia Shield Portable/Tablet/Set-top Box.

Everyone really needs to stop jumping to conclusions pointing to NX as the reason why Tegra cancelled the Shield 2. It's getting beyond silly at this point.

Edit: The relevant thread where it feels like 2% of people read the actual article http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=213356796

Edit 2: it's not just you, I've seen other people jump to this conclusion just because Nvidia cancelled one product that would have been using old tech at this point.

They have new a Tegra line for new shield products or licensing them to other companies like Google for a new pixel-c tablet for example. The cancellation of the shield 2 tablet is not about NX.

Banned

Of course it can be. 10k's the only one implying that it has to be related. I just find it funny that SMD & friends have been insisting that Tegra is dead for gaming, yet once that's proven false they just put words in people's mouths and then call it reaching. As I said on Twitter, it's childish. I don't even care which side is right since I win in some way, either way.
Hey, his post asked for "remotely" pointing to NX.

If you connect the dots it's possible.

The only thing that can link AMD is the SoC wins they've spoken of. They have 5 announced right now and confirmed Scorpio was one of them. Neo is likely the other. One is beyond gaming. That leaves two more that aren't accounted for from up to July 2016

Shiggy

The only thing that can link AMD is the SoC wins they've spoken of. They have 5 announced right now and confirmed Scorpio was one of them. Neo is likely the other. One is beyond gaming. That leaves two more that aren't accounted for from up to July 2016

Could one of those be PS4 Slim and the other Xbox One S? Or are those just existing contracts, not changing anything for AMD from PS4 and Xbox One?

ggx2ac

What are these 2 other wins you speak of? I've only heard of 3 in total from that recent AMD financial/investors Q&A.

I sincerely cannot see Nintendo, at this point, doing anything OTHER than the hybrid offering we've seen. It just makes too much sense. Leverage your two divisions pulling resources from another into one division, make it primarily focused around your most successful marketshare(handhelds) and go from there.

If the games are there, and they should be(there have been no major layoffs in studios that we've not seen games from in years) we should see an amazing output of resources into a capable console that offers a home and mobile solution in one package. My fear was the games will go cheap and mobile-like, but after rediscovering my 3DS recently and all the full fledged options on it I gotta say I'm excited. But mostly that I can't see a traditional console even happening from Nintendo right now, it makes less sense than Sony releasing a new Vita.

Agreed. As somebody who was #TwoConsoles for a long time, the hybrid option (with wireless controllers for home use) is actually the best possible move forward.

In a best case scenario, we'll be seeing basically all of Nintendo's first party support, most prior handheld third party support, and some third party console titles. There's a lot of potential in this path, even if that is on the optimistic side of possible.

What do you mean by that?

Exactly what I said. He can't be trusted. He's had one really good hit, and it didn't end well for his source. They were sold out on the spot the minute the Nintendo Ninjas went to him.

Rodin

The One S counts as well being a 16nm SoC. Which likely means PS4 Slim is the last one.

It doesn't seem to be any.
What? So they'll drop all the details and that's it?

GamerJM

Banned
I realize I'm kind of behind, but couldn't there be time for a September reveal no matter what if they just reveal it in a direct that they only announce a few days in advance?

Banned
What are these 2 other wins you speak of? I've only heard of 3 in total from that recent AMD financial/investors Q&A.
It was in the conference call. They confirmed three last year and they have a few more but they're done "numbering them". The audio is on one of SMD's videos.

With the Shield seemingly going away what are the chances that Nintendo has partnered with Nvidia for the NX to retain some of its features, such as PC game streaming? (Would be an interesting way to appeal to the more "hardcore").

ggx2ac

It was in the conference call. They confirmed three last year and they have a few more but they're done "numbering them". The audio is on one of SMD's videos.

Oh yes, that. Still don't get how you came to the conclusion that it's two more wins if she stopped numbering them.

Plus she confirms that they have Semi-custom wins outside of gaming consoles too.

Edit: SuperMetalDave could have made this same argument you said to make it easier for himself instead of sticking with the 3 design wins we know. (Neo, Scorpio and the ARM win.)

What happened to his source on the Nintendo lineup?

I unfortunately can't be much more clear without getting into detail I don't want to get into publicly. Suffice it to say, SMD will sell out a source the minute a man in a suit jacket asks him to.

EDIT: I will say, the source accepted their punishment without argument. The ninjas were merciful.

We're proud that @Microsoft has expanded their @Xbox One family with 2 new consoles featuring AMD’s semi-custom SoCs

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/742455340839493632?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I can point back to this Tweet all day long.

Banned
Oh yes, that. Still don't get how you came to the conclusion that it's two more wins if she stopped numbering them.

Plus she confirms that they have Semi-custom wins outside of gaming consoles too.

Edit: SuperMetalDave could have made this same argument you said to make it easier for himself instead of sticking with the 3 design wins we know. (Neo, Scorpio and the ARM win.)
Yeah I don't know why the number 5 was in my head. I just remember Lisa Su saying they've stopped numbering their SoC wins but they have more than the three they announced and some of them are outside of gaming.

Not NX related but something curious about nvidia's Shield products:
I don't know who's seen the teardown for Shield TV but the motherboard seems to be have been designed for a small handheld, it's said to be credit card sized and has a pair of sliced off corners similar to their controller board, and space for a missing SD card slot and other things like a gap for a headphone jack.

www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-nvidia-shield-tv

Shiggy

I unfortunately can't be much more clear without getting into detail I don't want to get into publicly. Suffice it to say, SMD will sell out a source the minute a man in a suit jacket asks him to.

EDIT: I will say, the source accepted their punishment without argument. The ninjas were merciful.

Sounds pretty shitty. SMD doesn't seem to have got any legitimate information since then though.

But that's the risk when leaking something like this to random people on the internet. SMD isn't some renown media outlet which is known for protecting its sources. And this wasn't really something that needed to be leaked either. You make it sound like the person only got fired for that.

what-ok

Multiple reports have come out defining NX as a portable device with a base station that hooks up to your TV. This is what people mean when they refer to it as a hybrid.

The two most notable ones:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Nintendo's own comments have previously suggested that NX offers a "new concept" that is designed to address "multiple play environments that differ by country."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150508qa/02.html

Since Iwata specifically brought up the Japan/West dichotomy, most people understand this as a platform that will support both the mobile-centric gaming trend in Japan as well as the more TV-focused trends in the West.

The easiest solution would be a single device that can do both. It's possible he could be saying there will be multiple devices, but aside from a shared library, it's hard to imagine that as a truly "brand new concept." It'd be mostly in line with the status quo.
Thanks for the info and links. I'll check them out.

To be fair to 10k, there's a big difference between pointing fingers at someone spreading false information and throwing a legitimate source under the bus when you aren't in any danger yourself.
Fair enough.
SMD ratting out his source is kind of shocking if true. That was his claim to fame and that probably got the leaker fired or in some serious legal problems. No clue why he shared the marketing info with us, only reason he got caught and it didn't help anyone nor did it add to the discussion/speculation.

BY2K

Membero Americo

And this people, is why YOU SHUT THE HELL UP WHEN YOU KNOW INDUSTRY SECRETS.

ggx2ac

Yeah I don't know why the number 5 was in my head. I just remember Lisa Su saying they've stopped numbering their SoC wins but they have more than the three they announced and some of them are outside of gaming.

I just listened to it again. She only confirms more SoC design wins outside of Gaming Consoles. She doesn't confirm, hint, or even imply more wins that are gaming console related.

antonz

Not NX related but something curious about nvidia's Shield products:
I don't know who's seen the teardown for Shield TV but the motherboard seems to be have been designed for a small handheld, it's said to be credit card sized and has a pair of sliced off corners similar to their controller board, and space for a missing SD card slot and other things like a gap for a headphone jack.

www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-nvidia-shield-tv

Yep. The Shield TV could easily fit within a Handheld especially if Nintendo is looking at something gamepad size as a possibility. Gamepad itself is 2 inches longer than the shield tv unit. The Shield TV unit has a ton of wasted space as well in the default model because there is like 2-3 inches reserved for a hard drive that cannot even be installed.

Obviously Nintendo is not going to just throw a shield TV in but it shows what can be done

Volotaire

Rösti;214550520 said:
Hot Chips 2016 Countdowns

Ultra-Performance Pascal GPU and NVLink Interconnect
Denis Foley
NVIDIA

t1471884300z4.png

NVIDIA Tegra-Next System-on-Chip
Andi Skende
NVIDIA

t1471903200z4.png

Note that these are approximate times, for I don't know if the sessions marked for these times run in parallel or linearly.

http://www.hotchips.org/program/

Approximately 16 minutes to NVIDIA's 'next Tegra chip' conference talk.

As people have mentioned, no webcasts so the information will be detailed online.

Sounds pretty shitty. SMD doesn't seem to have got any legitimate information since then though.

But that's the risk when leaking something like this to random people on the internet. SMD isn't some renown media outlet which is known for protecting its sources. And this wasn't really something that needed to be leaked either. You make it sound like the person only got fired for that.

This...

And this people, is why YOU SHUT THE HELL UP WHEN YOU KNOW INDUSTRY SECRETS.

and this, people.

Boy, have I got a story to tell you.

I might wager money it doesn't beat ones I know, lol

georly

Holy crap if true lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom