• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: "We'll get to talk about [BioWare's new IP] in the not too distant future"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GamesIndustry.biz said:
Q: The new film, Rogue One, is a story from elsewhere in the Star Wars universe. We're at a point where the lore is opening up. Does that give you more freedom?

PS: That's great for us. We can go anywhere we want in that sense.

But we've been very open about the fact that Bioware is working on a new IP, and we'll get to talk about that in the not too distant future. We have other teams working on new IP as well. I think it's about a balance, right? Making sure that we continue to push what great looks like for Battlefield or FIFA or Madden - or Star Wars, for that matter - while continuing to invest in something new.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...e-better-at-understanding-whats-going-to-work

Not too distant future is about the vaguest thing they could have possibly said. That could mean 2018 in terms of how long they've been working on this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Cool, hopefully it's something really cool, they stumbled a good bit with ME3, but I'm 110% sure they're more than capable of making something great.

Patryn

Do we have any indication of setting or premise at all?

There's some footage of scenery they've released, back in that one E3 conference when they had nothing but conceptual stuff.

Does that mean Dragon Age is done?

Done how?

If you mean Inquisition is "done", then, yes, they've said that they won't be creating any more content for it.

If you mean as a series, absolutely not. There will definitely be a fourth Dragon Age game, and they're likely working on preproduction for it as we speak. I wouldn't expect it until 2018 at the absolute earliest, however.

CHC

Very curious what it's going to be. Hopefully something really cool and fresh, but then again my gut tells me it could definitely be something in that sort of generic "grounded-future-war" kind of setting, like most recent Call of Duty has been, Titanfall, etc. I could see them doing it as long as it wasn't too close in concept to Mass Effect.

Probably at the NX reveal.

Oh yeah totally likely, Bioware and Nintendo have such a closely tied history

Ralemont

not me
After Andromeda releases, surely. Interested to see where they go since they already have high fantasy and sci-fi covered. My guess would be non-space sci-fi. A superhero-type game seems up their alley as well.

Tagavaka

Neo Member
Apparently Alistair McNally, Creative Director at Bioware, wore a shirt with the title of the new IP at GDC but no one noticed and no one could seem to find him in the photos from GDC. Some Bioware people were laughing and trolling the people on the Bioware Forums who were hunting for the pictures.

I'm fairly certain David Gaider did a bit of work on the new IP before leaving Bioware as well so that is a plus

Edited for some choice tweets Hrungr compiled on the Bioware Forum:

Alistair McNally ‏@Al_McNally

Also it was fun to walk around GDC2016 in a t-shirt with our new IP on it and no one batted an eyelid.

Casey Hudson ‏@CaseyDHudson

Milestone review meeting on our new IP project. Just blown away by the new technology and content on display. This team is amazing.

Casey Hudson ‏@CaseyDHudson

And, no promises, but the words "space nuns" were uttered.

Space nuns xD

Ralemont

not me
I was wondering because EA refused to give sales numbers for that. They tend to do when a game sells well. It wasn't in the top 10 for UK or NPD charts in the first month that it was released.

They've said Inquisition had the best launch of any BW title in terms of sales and that it exceeded their expectations. Plus, look at the games released that month that made the top ten:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
Madden NFL 15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
Assassin’s Creed Unity (PS4, XBO, PC)
Far Cry 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
NBA 2K15 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
Halo: The Master Chief Collection (XBO)

Other than maybe Far Cry, I wouldn't have expected a Dragon Age game to outsell any of those.

I was wondering because EA refused to give sales numbers for that. They tend to do when a game sells well. It wasn't in the top 10 for UK or NPD charts in the first month that it was released.

They said it was BioWare's most successful launch ever, but no official numbers from them. Charting in that month versus charting in any other month is pretty different, too.

Well they've been working on it since early 2013 (maybe not full production the whole time), so I would hope to see something soon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
New IP ?

EA plz, give us some solid information on the already announced for over a year Mass Effect game first. We don't even have a release date or a single actual gameplay video (bar the few seconds from the various vidoc style vids).

I'm certainly interested to see what it is they are working on. I was surprised the concept footage appeared to look sci-fi when it seems they already have that sort of setting locked up with Mass Effect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bioware Montreal is heading ME:A, and Bioware Edmonton is supposedly heading the new IP.

Though there is an extent to which the studio distinctions have broken down as gigantic 400+ person blobs work on the games due to their massive scope increase.

You can go get hired at Edmonton, Austin, or Montreal to be a lead designer on the Mass Effect series because they don't actually care about location anymore.

Zukkoyaki

Hopefully the handle the reveal and information rollout better than Mass Effect. It's been in production for 2-3 years already so hopefully it isn't too far out when they choose to talk about it.

Tagavaka

Neo Member
Wonder if you can bang elves or aliens in this one.

Elvians

The game is set in a pocket universe the characters from Mass Effect and Dragon Age get stuck in and romance each other and other assorted hijinks as they battle the Arch-Reapers.

You should see the love children of the Thresher Maws and High Dragons

Or some of the Krogan vs Qunari death matches

Also Isabela really loves the Asari

Top Bottom