• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2: mobility trailer and PC info.

Recommends a 1060 for a source game...

Considering the recommended specs are probably well above the console settings in resolution, individual effects work and total performance, I fail to see how that is problematic.

Also, the engine is probably pretty different from the Source you see in something like TF2 or CS.GO as of now.

E92 M3

I love the execution with the pistol.

ALSO BEST PART: Normal humans can use the grapple hook. I hated being the robot with the racoon scarf.

People clamour for games to be released on PC.

Then don't play them.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in this thread or anything. But just the impression I get on GAF is that theres lots of PC players wanting these games, but the populations die immediately.

Obviously Gaf isn't representative of the entire PC market.

It just makes me wonder why some particular devs bother with PC sometimes, when they are console centric games and have little to no chance sustainaing a population on PC

Deadbeat

Banned
It just makes me wonder why some particular devs bother with PC sometimes, when they are console centric games and have little to no chance sustainaing a population on PC
Dont put games on PC without a server browser. Its that simple. Devs have nobody to blame but themselves.

BTW "Im not accusing people of X but X" well done with that argument there.

Kade

Fortunately for developers, there are years of successful products and features they can look to to get a grasp of how to maintain a community on the platform as well as examples of how to sabotage your game.

Daingurse

No server browser, rest in pieces Titanfall 2 on PC.

Yeah, I'm not making the same mistake twice. If I get Titanfall 2 it will have to be on console. Lack of server browsers just killed the PC experience. Even with the low population the game currently has, server browsers would have really helped things out a lot. You can't play anything but Attrition, if you're lucky. Nothing else is remotely viable, game is a walking zombie.

Rayme

Dont put games on PC without a server browser. Its that simple. Devs have nobody to blame but themselves.
Like the barren graveyards that were Overwatch and Rocket League this year.

Matches in last game were lobby-based. It would try to keep you in a full lobby, pull new players in when gaps filled, sit for 60+ seconds in-between rounds, and have long loads in-between. This was okay (not great) when there were tons & tons of players, but late at night (or even during the day on low-population playlists) how long you had to wait to play a match could be really random. We improved this a lot in the months after launch (especially for team balance), but damage done and there's only so much you can improve without gutting the system.

For this sequel, we did that; matchmaking is flexible & smart now, and games start much more quickly and reliably for everyone. No more sitting in a 3v5 lobby waiting for someone to come along, or praying that matchmaking chooses your lobby to bless with an extra player, etc.

I'm not knocking server browsers. But for building & holding communities I think the game's Networks cover a lot of that and much more. Private Match, too; which pairs well with Networks.

(And all servers are always dedicated servers, etc.)

LordRaptor

I can buy both of those games together at non-sale pricing for the price of 'no frills' TF2, and they've both had free weekends available for PC owners to try the game and see if it is worth buying.

The biggest promo for TF2 on Pc so far is - hilariously - a skin for one of the hunters in the F2P Evolve.

Kade

The biggest promo for TF2 on Pc so far is - hilariously - a skin for one of the hunters in the F2P Evolve.

I thought you were bullshitting but I googled this and it's real??????? What a weird cross-promotion.

Te1V8og.jpg

Izuna

Banned
We improved this a lot in the months after launch (especially for team balance), but damage done and there's only so much you can improve without gutting the system.

I really do appreciate everything but SBMM was what killed R1 for so many. I don't see it having the same effect in R2 though so it's no big deal, but being a solo player was very, very harsh where the server would handpick literally the worst on the server to play with you if you're the 180 Attrition Point type.

Decado

Many devs, like you it seems, don't understand the pc market very well. If certain features are missing you're essentially sending a game off to die on pc.

Doesn't help that this will be Origin exclusive. Not a lot of love for that platform.

Rayme

(That skin - news to me! Was it official?)

I really do appreciate everything but SBMM was what killed R1 for so many. I don't see it having the same effect in R2 though so it's no big deal, but being a solo player was very, very harsh where the server would handpick literally the worst on the server to play with you if you're the 180 Attrition Point type.

It's complex, but the way a lobby's quality atrophies over time makes that so much worse in an environment like R1.

In R1, lobbies were like tiny individual matchmaking islands, that you'd occasionally send new boats to. In R2, all of matchmaking is like one giant pool of players, with the system able to act globally.

When Titanfall 2 is dead on PC at the end of this year I will be interested to hear the excuses trotted out.

Solar flares and the gold standard.

Whompa02

From a market only standpoint this game seems to be tracking really REALLY poorly...

I do hope it sells okay and has a decent following post launch. Something about it seems to be lacking and not hooking people. Maybe it was the first game that bummed consumers or something. Something isn't sticking.

Izuna

Banned
It's complex, but the way a lobby's quality atrophies over time makes that so much worse in an environment like R1.

In R1, lobbies were like tiny individual matchmaking islands, that you'd occasionally send new boats to. In R2, all of matchmaking is like one giant pool of players, with the system able to act globally.

Higher player counts also mitigate the issue, so I really hope for the best here.

Has server hopping made it's way in this one? Like West Europe and (I think you had London?) being able to match each other?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Matches in last game were lobby-based. It would try to keep you in a full lobby, pull new players in when gaps filled, sit for 60+ seconds in-between rounds, and have long loads in-between. This was okay (not great) when there were tons & tons of players, but late at night (or even during the day on low-population playlists) how long you had to wait to play a match could be really random. We improved this a lot in the months after launch (especially for team balance), but damage done and there's only so much you can improve without gutting the system.

For this sequel, we did that; matchmaking is flexible & smart now, and games start much more quickly and reliably for everyone. No more sitting in a 3v5 lobby waiting for someone to come along, or praying that matchmaking chooses your lobby to bless with an extra player, etc.

I'm not knocking server browsers. But for building & holding communities I think the game's Networks cover a lot of that and much more. Private Match, too; which pairs well with Networks.

The problem here is that

1. Overwatch is a Blizzard game and they have a huge fanbase in general as well as a huge casual fanbase as well who will play anything Blizzard releases or only Blizzard games. They know anything Blizzard releases will generally be of a high quality and shined to a sheen. They also had a beta which everyone could play and see what folks thought of the game.

2. Rocket League is on Steam and it also shares the playerbases of Xbox One and PS4. It's going to naturally have a bigger playerbase because it's not totally reliant on PC players.

3. You're on Origin, a platform that a lot of PC players won't touch due to it not being Steam. I'm not saying it's right to think this (I actually don't mind Origin) but the only FPS games I can think of that retain big communities on Origin are the Battlefield games (and even then Hardline is a very small community in comparison to 4).

4. You're going against Battlefield One, on the same service, within a few weeks of each other. Battlefield One gives PC players what they want with options as well as a server browser. You're facing stiff competition from the outset.

5. The PC is full of multiplayer FPS and players have a huge selection to choose from. Why would I choose this with things missing that I want in a shooter when I can choose any one of the other ones ? Sure look at CS:GO, a game that offers both matchmaking and server browsers, giving the players plenty of choice in how they want to play.

6. Your PC history includes the godawful IW.NET on Modern Warfare 2. I know this was more during a turbulent time for a lot of you folks and I do sympathise so you couldn't really work on improvements but after playing COD4 on PC which I still do to this day, this matchmaking system was pisspoor.

You are all obviously very talented folks and I have no doubt you have made some major improvements to the matchmaking system and how it works but you keep making the same mistake a lot of developers do. You keep ignoring the way a lot of PC players want to play their games. PC players WANT to be able to host their own servers, they want to foster their own communities in their own way. You know how rare it is to even get server files off a company these days on PC ? I have no ill will towards the game or the company, hell I hope I am absolutely wrong and it has thousands and thousands of players when I end up playing it (if I even buy it only for the single player I'm going to look at multi!) and that you can personally come back to this thread and go "Al, you were talking shite!" but it does leave me genuinely concerned for the longevity of the game. For example I have friends who are looking greatly forward to Battlefield One but when I ask them about Titanfall 2 they're all like "No server browser and only on Origin, you mad ?" (despite the fact they're using bloody Origin for Battlefield One!). All anecdotal of course.

5. The PC is full of multiplayer FPS and players have a huge selection to choose from. Why would I choose this with things missing that I want in a shooter when I can choose any one of the other ones ? Sure look at CS:GO, a game that offers both matchmaking and server browsers, giving the players plenty of choice in how they want to play.
There is nothing out there quite like Titanfall. It's a better class of game than those other shooters.

Vipu

Banned
So what are the news about DLC etc?
Will there be DLC to split playerbase etc or is there actually chance that we can buy this game not get milked?

Rayme

The problem here is that [...]
1. [...]
2. [...]
3. [...]
4. [...]
5. [...]
6. [...]
[...]

This was a really good post, thank-you for that.

Once the game is out and features like Networks are in full swing & being controlled and grown by players, I think a lot of this will be more clear to all of us; devs & players alike. Networks have the potential to give us all that community servers ever have, and then some. BUT. If it's in your hands and you're (or we're) feeling gaps that hadn't been anticipated, or (more likely) brand new gaps become obvious, then... yes. That won't be ignored.

What I'm saying is that I have nowhere else to go. ;p

Also, finally home. So prepare for gifs.

jurrassicparkwater.gif

breadtruck

Cool trailer. PC is the best way to play this game. Love me some Titanfall 1 on PC.

Im still gonna hold off until I can see/play it in its more current incarnation.

The beta was vastly improved in feel by the second weekend. If they got it even closer to the crisp, fun movement like in Titanfall 1, then Im back on-board.

Sou Da

Nailed it. Did they not get the complaints from the PC base with the first one?

I'm real curious about why quoted the second post.

There was a PC beta for the first one

What the fuck are they supposed to do about being on Origin?

There was no ea access then

How does this apply to "complaints about the first one from the pc base"?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm real curious about why quoted the second post.

No beta means people can't test their rig against the minimum/recommended specs. I meet Forza 6: Apex's minimum (and then some, the only place I'm meeting bare minimum is RAM which I plan to upgrade in a few months, but I doubt that'll fix Forza's problems) specs, but apparently the game stutter-steps and hard-locks in the middle of a race everytime I've tried it. If I paid for that, I'd be pissed.

Same with Origin Access if they aren't going to give a PC beta (which it seems they ain't).

Sou Da said:
What the fuck are they supposed to do about being on Origin?

Work with EA partners and negotiate getting out of EA's mandate if they actually want a chance of getting/retaining a PC playerbase. Battlefield (DICE) is under EA completely. Respawn isn't. EA partners should at least let them be able to get out of Origin. It's apt with the first.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I was so sure they'd learn their lesson after how quickly Titanfall 1 died. It seems like disappointment after disappointment with this game, fuck.

Well good news! This time around console players get to experience the same disappointments ntmemtscas PC players!

Still holding out hope that Peter Moore's "player first" mantra rings true and this game gets the delay it needs.

Sou Da

No beta means people can't test their rig against the minimum/recommended specs. I meet Forza 6: Apex's minimum (and then some, the only place I'm meeting bare minimum is RAM which I plan to upgrade in a few months, but I doubt that'll fix Forza's problems) specs, but apparently the game stutter-steps and hard-locks in the middle of a race everytime I've tried it. If I paid for that, I'd be pissed.

Same with Origin Access if they aren't going to give a PC beta (which it seems they ain't).

That doesn't connect to "complaints from the pc base about the first game" which is what I was asking about.

Work with EA partners and negotiate getting out of EA's mandate if they actually want a chance of getting/retaining a PC playerbase. Battlefield (DICE) is under EA completely. Respawn isn't. EA partners should at least let them be able to get out of Origin. It's apt with the first.

If they didn't put Unravel on steam they sure as hell aren't going to let Titanfall on there.

Chris1

Well good news! This time around console players get to experience the same disappointments ntmemtscas PC players!

Still holding out hope that Peter Moore's "player first" mantra rings true and this game gets the delay it needs.
Man I feel bad for you. You and Born were the two people I could count on praising the hell out of Titanfall 1 in any Titanfall topic, never in a million years would I expect posts like this from you about the sequel lmao.

Geist-

Delaying it 6 months would be the best possible thing for them to do.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Man I feel bad for you. You and Born were the two people I could count on praising the hell out of Titanfall 1 in any Titanfall topic, never in a million years would I expect posts like this from you about the sequel lmao.

I'm glad you remember me constantly adoring the original so no one thinks I'm some Johnny come lately troll adding to the echo chamber of negativity.

A quick check through my post history will show how quick I am to tell anyone who will listen that Titanfall 1 is the best multiplayer shooter of all time. So to say I'm disappointed in this presequel is an understatement to say the least.

I'm glad you remember me constantly adoring the original so no one thinks I'm some Johnny come lately troll adding to the echo chamber of negativity.

A quick check through my post history will show how quick I am to tell anyone who will listen that Titanfall 1 is the best multiplayer shooter of all time. So to say I'm disappointed in this presequel is an understatement to say the least.

This convinced me:
mLTQrdt.gif

brennok

Neo Member

Different games, different communities, different expectations from the player base.

Matchmaking and playlists aren't what I look for in a FPS game, and I especially avoid games with 60-90 second lobbies between matches. Playlists to me are like listening to the radio. You pick a station hoping the song comes on you like while putting up with all the crap you don't until it does. There is a reason people use things like Spotify to listen to only the songs they want.

I would consider matchmaking if and when it offers the full functionality of a server browser. Instead it is pick a playlist and get matched to others in this predefined playlist. Let me pick the maps and modes I want to play and match me against those players that match some or all of my settings. Then your playlists can be built off whatever the top 5 or top 10 most common match settings are based off the current player count.

Why would I ever try out a network though? Because I like their name? Networks don't offer the options to filter by maps and modes which is my first criteria for looking for new servers to play on followed by ping.

I know with a server browser I would pick out a server because it is running either one or more modes I like along with maps I enjoy. If it turns out I enjoy playing with those people, I am going to seek out their servers in the future. This is the start of the community and I end up playing with those same clans across games over the years.

LordRaptor

There is nothing out there quite like Titanfall. It's a better class of game than those other shooters.

His point isn't that there is another like-for-like equivalent.
It's that the FPS market on PC is the very definition of saturated, and TF2 is coming in at a very premium price point (the base game is 1.5x more expensive than Mafia 3 for example) where many of the competitors price point is zero.

Steam sales are a literal graveyard of 75% and greater discounts on competitive FPSes that did not achieve the required critical mass to sustain a playerbase quickly enough.
A free weekend a month after launch when the game population is already dead won't turn things around.

Tovarisc

His point isn't that there is another like-for-like equivalent.
It's that the FPS market on PC is the very definition of saturated, and TF2 is coming in at a very premium price point (the base game is 1.5x more expensive than Mafia 3 for example) where many of the competitors price point is zero.

Steam sales are a literal graveyard of 75% and greater discounts on competitive FPSes that did not achieve the required critical mass to sustain a playerbase quickly enough.
A free weekend a month after launch when the game population is already dead won't turn things around.

Will be interesting to see how TF2 releases and does during its first month on PC.
  • BF 1 will just come out and do its thing
  • Blizz most likely pushes Sombra out and Halloween event to OW as "BF/TF/CoD counter"
  • Next CoD installment rolls into town
  • Games like Team Fortress 2 and PlanetSide 2 are constantly doing their thing with very dedicated communities
TFall 2 is dropping into tough place on all platforms and especially PC where, like mentioned, FPS space is very saturated and old good ones keep hogging players.

Top Bottom