• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Retro Studios Working on Donkey Kong Revival

Kurtofan

Rafaelcsa said:
That makes no sense at all. The roots of DK are the arcade games, not DKC. If Jungle Beat doesn't have anything to do with the franchise, neither do the DKC games, because barely have anything to do with the arcade games either, other than DK himself, the intro music and the use of barrels. Jungle Beat is as much a legitimate take on DK as DKC.

DK '94 and the Mario vs Donkey games are the ones who are actually much closer to the original series.
DKC has transcended the original series.
It's the reference now.

Bentendo

EatChildren said:
You could even say Mario has stronger roots in the DK arcade game than DK himself. In that he was an uncontrollable slab of pixels who's limited animation and functionality consisted of thumping his chest and throwing barrels.

Donkey Kong didn't have a 'game' for himself until DKC. So yeah, I do agree that Nintendo should pay more attention to what Rare established.

That really opened my mind. I never really thought of it like that.

Since the Nintendo thread isn't open yet, I'm just going to post a short list here.

Nintendo E3:

Confirmed-

Zelda
Metroid
S&P2 (more than likely it'll get a short trailer)
Wii Vitality
Golden Sun
3DS reveal + Software
Wii Party

Probable-

Xenoblade
Retro Donkey Kong
Wii Relax
Animal Crossing 3DS
Time Traveler 3DS

Unlikely?-

The Last Story
Star Fox (platform unknown)
New Mario Game (Marienet hinted at one not to long ago)

Kurtofan

EatChildren said:
You could even say Mario has stronger roots in the DK arcade game than DK himself. In that he was an uncontrollable slab of pixels who's limited animation and functionality consisted of thumping his chest and throwing barrels.

Donkey Kong didn't have a 'game' for himself until DKC. So yeah, I do agree that Nintendo should pay more attention to what Rare established.
Yeah plus the DK design we see everywhere is the DKC one.
And DKC created a whole universe for DK (like the kong families and the Kremlings,the animals etc...)

I'm slowly catching up to news in the morning.

Wait, why is this a "revival"? Wasn't Jungle Beat considered a revival?

Or are we reviving from Barrel Blast?

gogojira

If this is a revival, what are the odds of it being called simply Donkey Kong. I mean, come on, doesn't every revival require the bold stance of no numbers, no subtitles?

AceBandage said:
Since the Nintendo thread isn't open yet, I'm just going to post a short list here.

Nintendo E3:

Confirmed-

Zelda
Metroid
S&P2 (more than likely it'll get a short trailer)
Wii Vitality
Golden Sun
3DS reveal + Software
Wii Party

Probable-

Xenoblade
Retro Donkey Kong
Wii Relax
Animal Crossing 3DS
Time Traveler 3DS

Unlikely?-

The Last Story
Star Fox (platform unknown)
New Mario Game (Marienet hinted at one not to long ago)

Despite the Monado listing, I don't really think a Xenoblade localization is any more or less likely than one for TLS. Also, I thought the Martinet thing was fake.

Father_Brain said:
Despite the Monado listing, I don't really think a Xenoblade localization is any more or less likely than one for TLS. Also, I thought the Martinet thing was fake.

Really?
I thought he had said it somewhere besides Twitter.

Anth0ny

Holy SHIT please let this be true. I've been dying to play a true Donkey Kong game.

All that's left now is Star Fox and F-Zero.

Gilby

AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm slowly catching up to news in the morning.

Wait, why is this a "revival"? Wasn't Jungle Beat considered a revival?

Or are we reviving from Barrel Blast?

Seriously, I would be MORE than happy with a longer sequel to Jungle beat. It's easily the best DK game.

DevilWillcry said:
"Donkey Kong revival by Retro"

2vj8pld.gif

"according to IGN"

156bdzs.gif

Updated for humor.

pakkit

Banned
Father_Brain said:
And why is that? It had an english language trailer a year ago and it's gotten a pretty good reception across seas.

DevilWillcry said:
"Donkey Kong revival by Retro" :D "according to IGN" :(

This will all be a moot point in just over 48 hours, but I challenge you to find something like this posted by IGN - within a week or two of E3 - that turned out to be wrong.

Father_Brain said:
This will all be a moot point in just over 48 hours, but I challenge you to find something like this posted by IGN - within a week or two of E3 - that turned out to be wrong.

Sure, I'll bite. The whole "Retro working on a Zelda title," bullshit they pulled last year.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Sweet release, THANK YOU GOD.

Been wanting to hook you guys up with this info for a loooong time.

:O
Any more info you can give us?
Or at least tell us if it's worth getting excited/raging over?
:D

Bentendo

Regarding Martinet's Tweet, I'm betting that has something to do with a new Paper Mario game. The Thousand-Year Door 2 anyone? ;) (if it ends up being true, just realize that I don't know anything and that the wink wasn't meant to be taken seriously)

Bentendo said:
Regarding Martinet's Tweet, I'm betting that has something to do with a new Paper Mario game. The Thousand-Year Door 2 anyone? ;) (if it ends up being true, just realize that I don't know anything and that the wink wasn't meant to be taken seriously)

It's going to be for a Mario game on 3DS, Im thinking.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Sure, I'll bite. The whole "Retro working on a Zelda title," bullshit they pulled last year.

As it turns out, this is what IGN was actually saying about a Retro-developed Zelda last year:

Heard crazy rumblings last week
- NOTHING IS CONFIRMED, NO LONGER TRUE
- 95% sure this was true at one time
- A year plus ago, Retro Studios was doing the new Zelda or doing something big with it
- For one reason or another that’s not the case anymore they don’t believe
- Not working on it anymore
- Got reliable info, there were internet rumors at one point
- This is a rumor, really good rumor, since has been debunked that they’re working on it
- They are not making that game anymore

- Matt thinks Nintendo is downplaying their conference and will have a bigger show then they’re letting on
- Bozon thinks the conference will be a split: 50 – 50 (casual and hardcore)
- Iwata, Reggie, Cammie will be on stage, probably Miyamoto as well
- Matt hoping Retro unveils their new game

Try again.

Reknoc said:
Lanky Kong or bust, even if he has no style or grace, he does have a funny face.
This may be a dealbreaker: Can he handstand?
Balb said:
Why can't Retro do a good job with DK?
Certainly it's possible they could. But in their decade-ish of existence we haven't really seen them work on something with a similar style of look or play (and DK has been a lot of types of play), even among their canceled games.
balladofwindfishes said:
Wasn't FPS a new game type for them a decade ago? And look how well that turned out.
Everything was new to Retro as Retro, but the company was full of people with prior FPS experience.

Bentendo

AceBandage said:
HAL is kind of a Retro insider.
We've been trying to squeeze info out of him for years.

Okay, this thread has been filled with so many "are you serious?" posts, so I apologize for the repetition but: ARE YOU SERIOUS????

And then we later found out that all Retro had in common with Zelda was that they pitched it to Nintendo, not that they were working on one. They got denied. IGN stretching their bullshit yet again.

Bentendo said:
Okay, this thread has been filled with so many "are you serious?" posts, so I apologize for the repetition but: ARE YOU SERIOUS????

Yup.
So again, I ask you HAL.
Can you at least give us a thumbs up/down on the game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bentendo said:

I'm pretty sure confirmation of the Metroid Prime: Trilogy pack came from him quite some time before its formal announcement.

AceBandage said:
Yup.
So again, I ask you HAL.
It's a bit more complicated than what IGN has revealed... they've been working on stuff for a long time. I've known about this particular project since early 2006. It's cool.

HAL_Laboratory said:
It's a bit more complicated than what IGN has revealed... they've been working on stuff for a long time. I've known about this particular project since 2006. It's cool.

Good enough for me.
Set phaser on hype.

Dascu

HAL_Laboratory said:
It's a bit more complicated than what IGN has revealed... they've been working on stuff for a long time. I've known about this particular project since early 2006. It's cool.
Can you say what kind of genre it is? 2D or 3D?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yup.
So again, I ask you HAL.
HAL gave me at least some of the info on the game way back in 2006. I don't know if he's been updated on the project since, but I doubt he's seen it.

Foffy

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:

Wow, seems like quite a while. Interesting that the game was never hinted, even when there were a number of Donkey Kong games released since that time to today.

dsister44

Father_Brain said:

I see The Last Story as much more liekly to get localised than xenoblade

radcliff

HAL_Laboratory said:

So Retro is working on more than just this title?

dsister44 said:
I see The Last Story as much more liekly to get localised than xenoblade

Well, XB has been on every NA release list since last year, and TLS hasn't even gotten a trailer yet (and no official screens).
We'll see on Tuesday, though.

robor

It's shit like this that really makes me happy to be a gamer. Retro reviving DK? It's so retarded it has to work.

Anth0ny

HAL_Laboratory said:

Jesus Christ and we're only learning about it now? Hopefully it's pretty far along. 2010 release? :D

/HYPED

upandaway

HAL_Laboratory said:
Wait, so what happened? Why can you say this?

Top Bottom