• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Mafia |OT| Keep Your Vote On The Payload

Ty4on

What is a peeking strat?

Everybody claims whom they "peeked" during the night and their alignment. The real cop(s) peeks their actual target so we get clear view when they flip.

Obvs we peek townies. If cop finds scum they should claim.

Burbeting

Banned
Everybody claims whom they "peeked" during the night and their alignment. The real cop(s) peeks their actual target so we get clear view when they flip.

Uh. If there is a cop, scum would be most likely able to figure that person out after few nights, if this plan was used.

Sorian

Banned
Vote Count:

*Splinter (1)
nin1000

nin1000 (1)
Haly

Ynnek7 (1)
cabot

Haly (1)
Ty4on

Barrylocke (1)
Ouro

Kyanrute (0)
Burbeting

Verelios (0)
Ouro

12 votes for majority
red_1476385200.png

Burbeting

Banned
To elaborate; if someone claims they peeked scum and got a town result, scum would figure out that person isn't the real cop. Suddenly the pool of potential cops become much smaller.

Verelios

I don't get it, how would this realistically work?

sorry i forgot to reply before in my hurry to catch up,

but i am actually completely for the peeking strat this game.

to me it actually makes way more sense in a role madness game than in a normal one.

Thank you, Stanley for talking sense.

Haly, tomorrow (D2) we all agree to post first thing something along the lines of "I peeked on Sorian and he was town" and so forth thus allowing real cop to breadcrumb and safety post each day whof they have instigated. We all have to agree or it obviously doesn't work.

What is a peeking strat?

its a way to help hide whatever cops we might have among us, as well as give them a safe way give thier results before the fully reveal themselves.

basically what happens is at the start of each day phase. every player will say "last night i peeked [player] and got a green cheek".
now these are lies, dont really mean anything, and will be pretty much ignored while we get on with the game. but the idea is that the real cop is doing the same thing, and giving their real results.

this way, if the cop should die before they reveal themselves, we can go back and see everyone they verified, so their investigations dont go to waste.

Verelios

its a way to help hide whatever cops we might have among us, as well as give them a safe way give thier results before the fully reveal themselves.

basically what happens is at the start of each day phase. every player will say "last night i peeked [player] and got a green cheek".
now these are lies, dont really mean anything, and will be pretty much ignored while we get on with the game. but the idea is that the real cop is doing the same thing, and giving their real results.

this way, if the cop should die before they reveal themselves, we can go back and see everyone they verified, so their investigations dont go to waste.
Oh, that makes sense now. What's stopping scum from hitting them N2 or 3 though if they hit scum/town?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uh. If there is a cop, scum would be most likely able to figure that person out after few nights, if this plan was used.

I don't expect a cop to hit more than 1 scum with their ability honestly. A 1 for 1 trade is fine by me. I don't remember the last game where a cop found multiples and also delivered on all that information. Maybe Darryl in Archer Mafia, but they had a whole Illuminati inner circle thing going on. Plus, anyone the cop exonerates after they die (and their role revealed) is just more information for the rest of us.

To elaborate; if someone claims they peeked scum and got a town result, scum would figure out that person isn't the real cop. Suddenly the pool of potential cops become much smaller.

well to help with this players will usually peek those they already town read. not follproof but should at least help.

and in a game with 22 people, if all are participating, its not going to whitle down all that fast.

I'm just trying to be proactive guys.

So far we have mass claim or peeking or just doing what we always do on D1 and make it a shitshow.

Ty4on

I don't get it, how would this realistically work?

Googling around this seems like a good breakdown of the strat:
In basic games, there are three things that are always going to happen:

1. A seer has to "drop peeks." This means that they have to find a way to post their results in the thread for the Town to see.
  2. The Town needs to provide "seer cover" [also known as "hypo cop'ing"]. This means that the rest of the Town should be providing fake peeks in order to confuse the scum team and hide the real seer results until it is safe for the real seer to claim or the real seer is killed.
  3. The scum has to "seer hunt." In basic games, the scum team does not have a lot of time to find the seer. In a typical standard game if the scum team doesn't find the seer by day 3 and the seer has 3 live peeks or 2 live peeks and a scum peek the game is mechanically locked and the Town always wins.

Burbeting

Banned
well to help with this players will usually peek those they already town read. not follproof but should at least help.

and in a game with 22 people, if all are participating, its not going to whitle down all that fast.

If a scum player becomes universally town-read though... something like Sawneeks in Pokémon mafia.

If a scum player becomes universally town-read though... something like Sawneeks in Pokémon mafia.
Yeah, I have experience in being town-read to victory
But in a game like this where everyone has a power, it'll probably be easier to find out more things about people

Mazre

VOTE: Ty4on

That's an interesting strategy. I for one am against it. Personally I don't think there is a cop in this game (at the least not a standard one), seems a super boring inclusion in a role madness game.

As I don't think there's a cop, going through the motions would be a waste of time and most likely serve to act as cover for scum.

Also Ouro seems to be acting fairly normally, maybe a little more active than I recall, doesn't tell me much about alignment at this point.

Yes. I modded that game, and the scum told post-game that the peeking made them find the real cop immediately. This was in 2009.

okay, but can you elaborate on this?

right now all im hearing is "nah it doesnt work"
i would really like to have some actual reasoning to work with.

That's an interesting strategy. I for one am against it. Personally I don't think there is a cop in this game (at the least not a standard one), seems a super boring inclusion in a role madness game.

As I don't think there's a cop, going through the motions would be a waste of time and most likely serve to act as cover for scum.

Also Ouro seems to be acting fairly normally, maybe a little more active than I recall, doesn't tell me much about alignment at this point.

Um, I suggested it.

Burbeting

Banned
What does that have to do with the results that the ACTUAL cop provides

Let's say we have 22 players. On D2 there are 20 left, and we do the peeking.

And then 8 people say they green checked a scum, maybe because some scum is very town read.

That leaves 12, out of which 4-5 were the real scum. Just 7-8 real possible cops left. Scum is able to figure out the real cop from that, and kill them on N3. Town is left with a single green check.

Ourobolus

Banned

And then 8 people say they green checked a scum, maybe because some scum is very town read.

That leaves 12, out of which 4-5 were the real scum. Just 7-8 real possible cops left. Scum is able to figure out the real cop from that, and kill them on N3. Town is left with a single green check.
Right, but it's still a green check.

Ty4on

That's why you spread peeks out more? 8 people peeking the same person seems a bit excessive.

that is a lot of assumptions to make.
like you arnt totally wrong, this is certainly a very real risk, but you seem to be saying that this is way more likely to happen then it necessarily is.

But it isn't just a cop, we know there are town PRs. They can help protect the cop. If scum know, town is likely to know by then too. Peeking isn't perfect but it's like the cop is acting alone.

Burbeting

Banned
okay, but can you elaborate on this?

right now all im hearing is "nah it doesnt work"
i would really like to have some actual reasoning to work with.

Let's say Ourobolus is scum, and also town read by lot of people. So lot of people fake peek ouro, and give a green check.

Now scum can easily deduce that all those Ouro checks are not real cops. It suddenly becomes much easier to find the real cop, all the while nobody suspects Ouro checks are the reason for it.

22 roles and you dont think there could be a single cop?

what?

Ourobolus

Banned
Let's say Ourobolus is scum, and also town read by lot of people. So lot of people fake peek ouro, and give a green check.

Now scum can easily deduce that all those Ouro checks are not real cops. It suddenly becomes much easier to find the real cop, all the while nobody suspects Ouro checks are the reason for it.
Nobody ever targets me on N1 so it's cool

Hmmm..so you did, I clearly wasn't reading closely enough and assumed Ty had since he explained it above.

VOTE: melonrabbit

You reasoning has a lot of assumptions. As I've said, if anyone has better ideas you're welcome to suggest them. Why don't you think there's a cop?

Burbeting

Banned
That's why you spread peeks out more? 8 people peeking the same person seems a bit excessive.

If we assume there are 5 scum, and we lynch town today, there are 21 players alive on N1. So you have 20 targets. 25% chance to accidentally green check scum, if you do it absolutely by random pick.

Burbeting

Banned
But it isn't just a cop, we know there are town PRs. They can help protect the cop. If scum know, town is likely to know by then too. Peeking isn't perfect but it's like the cop is acting alone.

How can town PR help? They don't have the advantage scum does of knowing what green checks are false, since they don't know who scum is.

Mazre

Re: Why I think there's no cop -

This is mostly wishful thinking, I have no evidence of such I just think games without them or games with unusual cops are more interesting. In the absence of any confirming evidence I choose to assume there isn't one for now.

Top Bottom