• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Mafia |OT| Keep Your Vote On The Payload

I am super late to the party but we are not seriously discussing a mass role/name claim on day 1 are we?

aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I will skip my usual "welcome new people" post because while some of you are new to me I have no idea if you are new to mafia. Most of you I have played at least one game with.

My most active posting days will be Wednesday/Thursdays, probably Tuesdays as well.

Sophia

Re: Why I think there's no cop -

This is mostly wishful thinking, I have no evidence of such I just think games without them or games with unusual cops are more interesting. In the absence of any confirming evidence I choose to assume there isn't one for now.

... wishful thinking is your reason for voting for someone? Not the possibility of them being scum? :\

This is mostly wishful thinking, I have no evidence of such I just think games without them or games with unusual cops are more interesting. In the absence of any confirming evidence I choose to assume there isn't one for now.
Mmmm
Ok.
VOTE: Mazre

Burbeting

Banned
What I'm saying is, this plan will be a suicide for the cop on the long run. It could give town green checks, but how many of those green checks are actually alive, when the cop flips?

franconp

I'm leaning to vote NO in the peek plot. Maybe it's that I'm a bit slow but I don't see how we gain something from it. It will only make a confusing game (which, with everyone having a role, it will be) even more confusing.

Mazre

... wishful thinking is your reason for voting for someone? Not the possibility of them being scum? :\

If I'm working from the assumption there is no cop then the suggestion of a plan that relies on one is potentially scummy behavior. Is it a strong case? Absolutely not, but here we are on day 1 again.

Oh sorry. What I was saying is, what stops scum from hitting cops who had a right answer twice in a row? There has to be a low chance for that among peekers.

that...

is a very good point.

at that point not much is stopping them, and the cops days will be numbered.
with peeking we are basically betting on the cops early results being useful enough to justify putting them at more risk later.

What? I don't know how to respond to this.

Man, the mere suggestion of peeking gets very interesting reactions from people.

Sometimes more telling than using peeking itself.

Sophia

If I'm working from the assumption there is no cop then the suggestion of a plan that relies on one is potentially scummy behavior. Is it a strong case? Absolutely not, but here we are on day 1 again.

Strong case? I'd argue that's actually almost fluffy in it's reasoning. :\

Ty4on

If we assume there are 5 scum, and we lynch town today, there are 21 players alive on N1. So you have 20 targets. 25% chance to accidentally green check scum, if you do it absolutely by random pick.
Nothing wrong with peeking dead players.
What I'm saying is, this plan will be a suicide for the cop on the long run. It could give town green checks, but how many of those green checks are actually alive, when the cop flips?
I just feel it's much better than hoping cop stays alive and claims all peeks or does a really good job with breadcrumbs.

The zero cop angle is kinda interesting. I don't see any real issues with peeking when there's no cop, but it could complicate things a bit if people start pretending to town read their peeks.
Verelios
Barrylocke
Xamtheking
Ty4on
Burbeting

Bam, there's your scum. I'm outta here!
Nice, got a read list from you.

I'm leaning to vote NO in the peek plot. Maybe it's that I'm a bit slow but I don't see how we gain something from it. It will only make a confusing game (which, with everyone having a role, it will be) even more confusing.

we gain the certainty of knowing the cops results, no chance of them dying unexpectedly and leaving us in the dark.

and it doesnt get complicated at all, its just one line from every player each day, and its then back to business.

Bronx-Man

Banned

AMg25un.png

Also I'm against a mass claim, for the record. Mostly because while it does give us an idea as to the power abilities, it also gives scum an advantage because they know exactly who's who and will put targets on the most powerful.

Perhaps later in the game it would be wiser, when it becomes more of a necessity.

Sophia

I still don't understand this whole peeking business. I'm not for or against it, I'm just confused af

The basic idea is that every player makes a fake "peek" result on someone who they consider townie, and that the cop (if they exist) hides real results among them. That way, if a cop flips, we suddenly have at least one town confirmed townie out of it. Ideally, more.

The drawback is that, if enough people don't do it, and the results aren't varied enough, it can give scum some information. Hence why it's important for people to be on the same page regarding it.

The one time it was used in Mini Mafia I don't recall it really having a significant impact on the game, but that game also ended really fast in town's favor so...

Ty4on

The one time it was used in Mini Mafia I don't recall it really having a significant impact on the game, but that game also ended really fast in town's favor so...

The Cop died on N1...

Minimafia was quite cop heavy IIRC with most setups having a cop and some having multiple.

Mercy, reporting for duty

That's the last time I'll use that; it just makes me so happy!
I'm not Mercy
Here's hoping that this game will be as fun as Archer. For what it's worth, my actual character's ability fits well with the Overwatch character. The role isn't too Sorian-y, either.

And as for mass claims, at first I was like

ba6U7z5.gif

But then I thought, "Why not?" It's a role madness game. Even if scum have decent covers, a mass claim allows us to strategize and gives us a basis for each other's actions for the coming days. Someone will get caught up in a lie eventually.

Also I'm against a mass claim, for the record. Mostly because while it does give us an idea as to the power abilities, it also gives scum an advantage because they know exactly who's who and will put targets on the most powerful.

Perhaps later in the game it would be wiser, when it becomes more of a necessity.

im agreed with this.

hope yall dont mind be being a big fat hypocrite for a sec.

i get the impression that knowing a players hero will help scum much more than town.

if i was scum, i know i would be looking to kill some specific heroes early.
mercy for example. everyone seems to be agreed that the roles ability fits with that character, so i cant imagine mercy not being some kind of doctor power.

franconp

we gain the certainty of knowing the cops results, no chance of them dying unexpectedly and leaving us in the dark.

and it doesnt get complicated at all, its just one line from every player each day, and its then back to business.

You are assuming that there is a cop. We don't know that. If there is no cop all of that is in vain.

Maybe I don't undertand it very well. Everyone claim someone is town? Because if you could claim either town or scum it can give scum a chance to threw town off. If I say someone is scum (lying) and I get killed during the night phase my target would be the main suspect of the next night phase, because town will suspect that I got killed because I'm the cop or got to close of find scum.

You are assuming that there is a cop. We don't know that. If there is no cop all of that is in vain.

Maybe I don't undertand it very well. Everyone claim someone is town? Because if you could claim either town or scum it can give scum a chance to threw town off. If I say someone is scum (lying) and I get killed during the night phase my target would be the main suspect of the next night phase, because town will suspect that I got killed because I'm the cop or got to close of find scum.

But you flip would tell if you'd bluffed or not. Why as town would you lie about that?

From looking over how the strat works, I think the peekign thing is a good idea. We should agree on a deadline to have everyone post their peeks by. like 12hrs before the day ends or something.

It would seem better than riskin the cop trying breadcrumb a read in a post and having scum pick it up.

i get the impression that knowing a players hero will help scum much more than town.

While this is true, we don't have to reveal everything during a mass claim. It'll also let town PRs (which is most of us) will also know who to protect/target.

Admittedly I'm also interested in seeing how that plays out, because the idea of a mass claim is always floated, but I don't think it's ever happened before.

Bronx-Man

Banned

This is a role madness game with 22 players, why wouldn't there be a cop?

While this is true, we don't have to reveal everything during a mass claim. It'll also let town PRs (which is most of us) will also know who to protect/target.

What info are we revealing?

Also, Sorian said the scum team was random so what factors would PRs use to determine who to protect and target.

franconp

But you flip would tell if you'd bluffed or not. Why as town would you lie about that?

If I'm not a cop and say that someone else is either town or scum I'm lying. Maybe I expressed myself wrong.

I will try to clarify what I said before: Ouro (just an example, it can be anyone) says that you are scum (You are not and he doesn't really know as he's not a cop), if I were scum I know you are not scum so I would just kill Ouro during the next night phase and make you the suspect for the next day phase.

everyone seems to be agreed that the roles ability fits with that character, so i cant imagine mercy not being some kind of doctor power.

I agree it "makes sense" for Mercy to be a doctor, but I also kind of get the feeling that may be exactly why Sorian would not go that route: it's waaaaay too obvious at that point. Not to mention Ana is also a healer (of sorts), as is Lucian or any of the other supports.

I'm rambling.

If I'm not a cop and say that someone else is either town or scum I'm lying. Maybe I expressed myself wrong.

I will try to clarify what I said before: Ouro (just an example, it can be anyone) says that you are scum (You are not and he doesn't really know as he's not a cop), if I were scum I know you are not scum so I would just kill Ouro during the next night phase and make you the suspect for the next day phase.

But you wouldn't.

We only give town peeks. Obviously if the cop hits scum they should claim asap.

franconp

This is a role madness game with 22 players, why wouldn't there be a cop?

I don't know, the only ones that know are sorian and the actual cop (if he exist). But there is no evidence that he exist. Maybe we don't have a cop but we have someone who can get the roles but not the aligments, maybe he gets the roles of the people who target him, etc. We don't know much.

I never played Overwatch. Is there a cop, detective or something like that in the roster?

Sophia

I don't know, the only ones that know are sorian and the actual cop (if he exist). But there is no evidence that he exist. Maybe we don't have a cop but we have someone who can get the roles but not the aligments, maybe he gets the roles of the people who target him, etc. We don't know much.

I never played Overwatch. Is there a cop, detective or something like that in the roster?

Nothing explicit, but like you could frame Widowmaker, Soldier 76, or Hanzo, or whatever as a cop due to abilities. There's enough choices tho that you'd effectively guessing.

franconp

This is why I didn't understand how it worked:

Everybody claims whom they "peeked" during the night and their alignment. The real cop(s) peeks their actual target so we get clear view when they flip.

Obvs we peek townies. If cop finds scum they should claim.

If everyone claim town it make more sense.

His last setence is exactly what I said just said differently:

Everybody claims whom they "peeked" during the night and their alignment. The real cop(s) peeks their actual target so we get clear view when they flip.

Obvs we peek townies. If cop finds scum they should claim.

franconp

Nothing explicit, but like you could frame Widowmaker, Soldier 76, or Hanzo, or whatever as a cop due to abilities. There's enough choices tho that you'd effectively guessing.

I will need to read Overwatch lore because I think the roles and the roster are related. I just googled my character and his name and my role are related.

Obviously if the cop hits scum they should claim asap.

What? No they absolutely should not. Trading the cop for 1 scum is not a great trade for town. Better the town drops hints, lobbies and tries to clear more town/find more scum.

I mean, if D6 the cop has found all 5 scum then yeah, sure. But that's so insanely unlikely as to not really be worth my having just mentioned it.

What? No they absolutely should not. Trading the cop for 1 scum is not a great trade for town. Better the town drops hints, lobbies and tries to clear more town/find more scum.

I mean, if D6 the cop has found all 5 scum then yeah, sure. But that's so insanely unlikely as to not really be worth my having just mentioned it.
Well, Town has a lot more agency than normal, with everyone being a PR

How many scum on average does a cop get per game?

Top Bottom