• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Mafia |OT| Keep Your Vote On The Payload

Sophia

How many scum on average does a cop get per game?

Not very many, from my experience, but I believe what AB is saying is that town results are good too. A cop who claims on D2 only gives us one scum if they claim the moment they find them. On the other hand, if they feel they can survive longer, they should try to do so to get more results in general.

Well, Town has a lot more agency than normal, with everyone being a PR
True, but don't forget that every scum also has a power. There is no "ordinary scum" in this game.

How many scum on average does a cop get per game?
From my experience as a cop in DR? None. One at most from what I've seen in other games. But how many they get is not important. Clearing town players is just as important as catching scum players since it narrows down the pool of potential scum. My death in DR cleared three players out of a very small pool. Town still lost, but that was down to Mazre wanting a solo neutral victory and town not catching on.

Not very many, from my experience, but I believe what AB is saying is that town results are good too. A cop who claims on D2 only gives us one scum if they claim the moment they find them. On the other hand, if they feel they can survive longer, they should try to do so to get more results in general.

in this kind of instance, i think its just ju to the cops own best judgement whether or not they should come forward with thier results or keep it under wraps and keep investigating.

franconp

in this kind of instance, i think its just ju to the cops own best judgement whether or not they should come forward with thier results or keep it under wraps and keep investigating.

If a cop keep his investigation under wraps why do we even do the peek? It could be even worse as we would have false confirmations of town from the scums that the cop didn't reveal.

Sophia

If a cop keep his investigation under wraps why do we even do the peek? It could be even worse as we would have false confirmations of town from the scums that the cop didn't reveal.

So that if the cop dies before revealing his results, we can look back and see who he checked. Instead of the cop taking all his results to the grave.

well the peeking is only intended to help with town results,
but the part about the cop having to false peek in order hide thier scum result, thats something i did not think of.

franconp

So that if the cop dies before revealing his results, we can look back and see who he checked. Instead of the cop taking all his results to the grave.

I understand that but I'm talking about this:

If the cop finds a scum the first night and he chooses to keep it to himself so he doesn't reveal his role early in the game and he get killed the second night before roleclaiming all that we would have is a false positive for a true scum. It will lead to an almost certain town defeat as the only confirmed town will be scum. If we go for the peek route the cop should roleclaim as soon as he finds a scum. If he doesn't it could do a lot of damage.

Sophia

Who is everyone's top town?

Mine is Mazre.

I got a decent-ish town vibe on Stanley right now, but it's mostly gut reaction.

I understand that but I'm talking about this:

If the cop finds a scum the first night and he chooses to keep it to himself so he doesn't reveal his role early in the game and he get killed the second night before roleclaiming all that we would have is a false positive for a true scum. It will lead to an almost certain town defeat as the only confirmed town will be scum. If we go for the peek route the cop should roleclaim as soon as he finds a scum. If he doesn't it could do a lot of damage.

Uhh....

*rereads*

If the cop dies with scum results, then... how's that any different than normal?

Not sure how you got the false positive and "certain town defeat"

franconp

I got a decent-ish town vibe on Stanley right now, but it's mostly gut reaction.

Uhh....

*rereads*

If the cop dies with scum results, then... how's that any different than normal?

With what StanleyPalmtree said the cop would keep his results for himself so in the example he would claim a scum is town the second day phase (so he doesn't reveal himself and get to investigate more people) and when he dies the second night phase all that we get from his investigation is one confirmation of town, who really is a scum. So if the scum is clever he could be safe thought all the game that we would know.

If we are doing the peek the cop NEEDS to come clean as soon as he find a scum, even in his second day. And I don't like this idea.

Uhh....

*rereads*

he means if peeeeking is happening, but the cop hits scum, and chooses to keep that to himself instead of fully revealing himself.
in this situation he would have to fake a peek of either a random target, or the scum he just found.

if the cop does that, and then dies before telling us, it would cause some serious troubles.

Sophia

With what StanleyPalmtree said the cop would keep his results for himself so in the example he would claim a scum is town the second day phase (so he doesn't reveal himself and get to investigate more people) and when he dies the second night phase all that we get from his investigation is one confirmation of town, who really is a scum. So if the scum is clever he could be safe thought all the game that we would know.

If we are doing the peek the cop NEEDS to come clean as soon as he find a scum, even in his second day. And I don't like this idea.

he means if peeeeking is happening, but the cop hits scum, and chooses to keep that to himself instead of fully revealing himself.
in this situation he would have to fake a peek of either a random target, or the scum he just found.

if the cop does that, and then dies before telling us, it would cause some serious troubles.

Hmm... interesting. To be honest, that's actually the most compelling argument I've seen against it. So at that point going through with it basically boils down to "Do you feel 1 cop for 1 scum is a fair trade?"

Ourobolus

Banned
Hmm... interesting. To be honest, that's actually the most compelling argument I've seen against it. So at that point going through with it basically boils down to "Do you feel 1 cop for 1 scum is a fair trade?"

I do. Given that it's role madness it stands to reason that there are probably other investigative roles out there (tracker, etc.).

Ourobolus

Banned
I would like to hear more from our quiet players:

TheGoddamn
nin1000
Haly
cabot
EzekelRAGE
WAMD
Splinter
Ynnek7
Barrylocke

(yes I know some are in sleepy-time time zones right now)

franconp

I'm going to sleep so I will just say that if we have to vote right now I would vote Barrylocke: he has only 3 post so far (Blargonaut or Sawneeks has the same amount and they aren't even playing) and all of them are just small talk. We don't have an opinion or anything from him. Hope he step up his game tomorrow.

Think it can be solved by having us peek a scum as well. So it would go like this

Peek Town Read - Blah
Peek Scum Read - Blah Blah

Those would be the only posts in a peek post. To give further safety to the cop we also don't question anything about the peek reads.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would like to hear more from our quiet players:

Well we're up to Xavius Normal. I thought I could pull my weight as Frost mage but even itemizing the fuck out of Crit/Haste I'm still pulling abysmal numbers given my gear.

Sorian buff my class plz.

Think it can be solved by having us peek a scum as well. So it would go like this

Peek Town Read - Blah
Peek Scum Read - Blah Blah

Those would be the only posts in a peek post. To give further safety to the cop we also don't question anything about the peek reads.

What I meant by the above is, those two lines would be the only one in a peek post.
We don't question the peek post because it could possibly just lead to outing the cop.

Example peek post would be:
Peek Town Read - Francomp
Peek Scum Read - Sophia
No one questions why you chose those two and you can just refer back to the posts as you get flips.

Ourobolus

Banned
What I meant by the above is, those two lines would be the only one in a peek post.
We don't question the peek post because it could possibly just lead to outing the cop.

No one questions why you chose those two and you can just refer back to the posts as you get flips.

The problem with this is that when the cop dies we have no way of knowing WHICH of the two peeks is the correct one.

Sophia

Wow, harsh. You couldn't use me as the town example? :(

But yeah, Ouro already said what's wrong with that.

Also Hi Ezekel. How do you feel about everything so far? :eek:

Ourobolus

Banned
Alright, back to actual discussion, could I get a top 5 town list from you and/or a top 5 scum list if anything has changed since you made your initial list

Top 5 scum is still the same:
You
Verelios
Ty4on
Barrylocke
Burbeting
Splinter**** (it could always be Splinter)

Don't have a town list atm.

Top 5 scum is still the same:
You
Verelios
Ty4on
Barrylocke
Burbeting
Splinter**** (it could always be Splinter)

Don't have a town list atm.
Alright
A little bit earlier, you said you were Tracer and a Tracker (isn't Sorian so clever)
Was that a joke or an actual claim

Wow, harsh. You couldn't use me as the town example? :(

But yeah, Ouro already said what's wrong with that.

Also Hi Ezekel. How do you feel about everything so far? :eek:

Day 1, always slow, always ppl just throwing stuff out. I'm rarely ever good in day ones.

=================

So our only problem with the peeking method is if scum is found correct?

I think we still do the peeking method and rely on our cop to handle it himself if he finds scum (w/o claiming of course).

Scratch that, peek every other day phase and allow ppl to have up to two?

Those two can involve a town peek or scum peek.

That should be safe for him and allow a cover if he hits scum one night, then town the following night.

Top Bottom