• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't really see 3D on 3D TVs

Well yesterday during the WC game, a couple of friends were talking about 3D and how awesome it is and stuff and another guy said it actually sucked when he saw the montage at the Sony Store. They then asked me and I said I tried it a couple of times at BB and SonyStore but didn't really see much of anything, but maybe I was tired or something.

So earlier today I was at home doing nothing and decided to just go to Best Buy again and give it a shot. I go there and try out the Samsung set up with Aliens vs Monsters in 3D. I put the glasses on and again I don't see much of anything, something kinda 3Dish, but nothing really jumps out of the screen like it's supposed to. My eyes actually start hurting after a couple of minutes, so I give up and decide to go to Sony Store instead since they have a montage there with all the 3D stuff people rave about (Cloudy with Meatballs, Alice in Wonderland, Motorstorm PR, StarDust HD, as well as other movies, some sports and nature stuff).

I get to the Sony store and immediately go to the back to try out their setup. I put the glasses on and again don't see anything and within 2 minutes my eyes start hurting again. I man up and stay watching the TV until something that I know people enjoyed in 3D comes up, Alice comes up, I see the same thing I saw with Aliens vs Monsters, some kinda 3Dish stuff but nothing wows me and nothing really jumps out of the screen, rinse and repeat for every single thing thing in the list above, including SSHD where impressions I read say it is amazing and people actually try to "touch" stuff that comes out of the screen. I asked the guy that works there, he asks me if the glass is turned on, I say yes and then he goes on to say that some people don't see 3D (something the BB employee told me before but I think that's horseshit, but I didn't wanna argue).

I am about to leave but I decide to go on to the other 3D TV in the front of the store where they literally have about 10 glasses that you can try. I try 3 of them with the same results. There's a guy there watching the montage with a smile on his face, so I go and ask him if he can actually see the 3D and he says yes of course and then asks me if my glasses are on, I say yes so he suggests we exchange glasses. As soon as he puts the glass I had on he starts laughing and asks me if I really can't see it.

I have gone to those "4D" and 3D things at WDW and Universal Studios and I saw the 3D in those things just fine. IIRC I've used both the blue/red glasses (long time ago) and the polarized glasses (more recent) and I saw the 3D just fine there. I have yet to go to the movie theater to watch a 3D movie (but I definitely will on the next half decent movie that comes out in 3D so that I can test it and see if I can see it there).

Has anyone had a similar experience? I have no idea why I can't "see" the 3D on the 3D TVs that are currently out, but I just can't. Is there any reasonable explanation for this? What about the 3DS, anyone not "see" the 3D there? That's the main feature that I'm looking forward to on the 3DS so if I can't see the 3D that would suck. I kinda think 3D is gonna be a big thing and add to the immersion in games, so not being able to see it with the technology used is a major letdown. This kinda remind me of the N64 days where SM64 made me dizzy and I never played 3rd person games until way later. Same with FPS. Just seems like I'm always gonna be late to the parties.

jett

D-Member
Dynamite Shikoku said:
It might be a tumor

27141d1199498004-unexplained-lump-in-rear-bumper-tread-kindergarden-cop.jpg

DonMigs85

either your eyes are set too far apart or too close. Did you see the trailer for Alice in Wonderland? The Cheshire cat definitely gets in yo face.

jett

D-Member
Not everyone can see the 3D illusion, all eyes aren't made the same. It may just be the type of glasses that don't do it for you though(3DTVs use shutter glasses), if you say you've tried polarized 3D before and worked just fine. I would try going to a RealD 3D theater for one more attempt. If you can see that fine then your eyes do have a problem with shutter glasses.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure many games will adopt it, but I hope we never reach the day when people are asking "WHAT? Your TV isn't 3D compatible?"

Clipper

Perhaps the fact that each of your eyes is seeing black half the time is confusing the images in your brain in a way that most people don't experience. The Red/Blue and Polarised methods of 3D are always showing you images in each eye, which is why you can see the effect with those types.

Fortunately, that means that you should be able to see the 3DS effect, as there is no flickering of the images with that method. It means you'll have to wait for the technology to become available for bigger screens before you buy into a TV, though.

Speevy said:
I'm sure many games will adopt it, but I hope we never reach the day when people are asking "WHAT? Your TV isn't 3D compatible?"

you know i'm sure we'll be saying that in like 20 years

i always boggle at statements like these

Luigiv

Speevy said:
It's going to happen and you know it. Whilst 3D is a premium feature now, you know the manufactures will start rolling it into cheaper and cheaper models until it becomes "the standard".

Speevy

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
you know i'm sure we'll be saying that in like 20 years

i always boggle at statements like these

Well it's not that I fail to see the value in technology. It's only that 3D has failed to make any lasting impression on me the few times I've experienced it.

Flink

I honestly cannot see it either! No issues at theatres; it's very pronounced there. Whenever I go to Best Buy or the Sony Store, however, no dice. My boyfriend sees it fine with the same glasses!

Oh well, it's a bit annoying to put on glasses anyways.

jett said:
Not everyone can see the 3D illusion, all eyes aren't made the same. It may just be the type of glasses that don't do it for you though(3DTVs use shutter glasses), if you say you've tried polarized 3D before and worked just fine. I would try going to a RealD 3D theater for one more attempt. If you can see that fine then your eyes do have a problem with shutter glasses.

Yeah I'm gonna try that at the first decent movie that's showing in a 3D theater.

DonMigs85 said:
either your eyes are set too far apart or too close. Did you see the trailer for Alice in Wonderland? The Cheshire cat definitely gets in yo face.

I know exactly what part you're talking and that was the part where the guy that took my glasses started laughing and I knew the cat was supposed to be "jumping" out of the screen in my face, but he just wasn't. Likewise when I saw Motorstorm PR with the smoke all up in the screen, I knew that was supposed to be "coming out" of the screen, but again, it wasn't.

Clipper said:
Perhaps the fact that each of your eyes is seeing black half the time is confusing the images in your brain in a way that most people don't experience. The Red/Blue and Polarised methods of 3D are always showing you images in each eye, which is why you can see the effect with those types.

Fortunately, that means that you should be able to see the 3DS effect, as there is no flickering of the images with that method. It means you'll have to wait for the technology to become available for bigger screens before you buy into a TV, though.

That's a very good explanation. Thanks for that. Don't know why they had to go with a different method for TVs....

Raistlin

Speevy said:

That's like saying, 'I hope we never reach a point where HD is the norm'. Just because you don't like it, don't be a fucking ass.

Speevy

Banned
Raistlin said:
That's like saying, 'I hope we never reach a point where HD is the norm'. Just because you don't like it, don't be a fucking ass.

How am I being an ass? I don't begrudge people their enjoyment of it.

And what I say about high definition is the same thing I said about high definition before I had an HDTV.

A great game is a great game, in any resolution.

DonMigs85

Flink said:
I honestly cannot see it either! No issues at theatres; it's very pronounced there. Whenever I go to Best Buy or the Sony Store, however, no dice. My boyfriend sees it fine with the same glasses!

Oh well, it's a bit annoying to put on glasses anyways.
Perhaps you just have evolved eyes that exceed the glasses' refresh rate.

Trurl

Banned
I like 3D, but I don't experience the "popping out of the screen" effect either. I remember watching "Pirates 4D" as a kid and covering up my eyes because the bees were too real for me, but now I only see dioramas.

I'm over 6'5'' so my head is large and my eyes are wider set than most, perhaps that limits the effect.

jett

D-Member
Trurl said:
I like 3D, but I don't experience the "popping out of the screen" effect either. I remember watching "Pirates 4D" as a kid and covering up my eyes because the bees were too real for me, but now I only see dioramas.

I'm over 6'5'' so my head is large and my eyes are wider set than most, perhaps that limits the effect.

The 3D effect of today works different than the old one, especially with digital projection. Things don't really pop out, it's more about depth.

Raistlin

Speevy said:
How am I being an ass? I don't begrudge people their enjoyment of it.

Yes you are indirectly. By hoping it doesn't reach critical mass, of course it will impact them.

And what I say about high definition is the same thing I said about high definition before I had an HDTV.

That makes it okay? :lol

A great game is a great game, in any resolution.

Certainly. But all things being equal, the game with the better resolution, or better sound, whatever ... is the greater game.

Chrange

Banned
I read some people can't see it because of an overly dominant eye. Could be the case. Is one of your eyes short, with a kind if weird moustache and is always talking in a weird accent?

Kraut

At least you can see 3D. I don't have the luxury of asking the Sony Store employee if he can fix my eyes and brain so I can have real life stereoscopic sight :( The most I got when I tried the TVs out was a bit of a pop from the grass in Motor Storm.

DonMigs85

jett said:
The 3D effect of today works different than the old one, especially with digital projection. Things don't really pop out, it's more about depth.
I've also noticed that 3D trailers (like for Alice in Wonderland) tend to exaggerate the 3D pop-out effect more than in the actual movie.

Clipper

AranhaHunter said:
That's a very good explanation. Thanks for that. Don't know why they had to go with a different method for TVs....
Well, red/blue is possible with all TVs already, but you lose a lot of the colour of the image. You cant polarise light emanating from an LCD/LED TV in different directions, so that method isn't possible.

I guess we probably will start seeing 3D home projectors releasing soon, which would work with polarised glasses, but they might cost a bit more seeing as you are essentially buying two projectors in one in that case. They should work for you, though.

Speevy

Banned
Raistlin said:
Yes you are indirectly. By hoping it doesn't reach critical mass, of course it will impact them.

No, more I hope it's not taking development time over gameplay features. Also, I despise the idea that someone who spent $700-1500 or more on a television still doesn't have a television that is prepared for the future. It's absurd.

That makes it okay? :lol

You think in very simple terms. Okay, not okay. It's called perspective. It's not meant to justify anything. Only to create a greater understanding, so you can make up your own mind. I bought an HDTV in 2007, and before then I could only dream of what games looked like on one. Now I know, but still appreciate great looking SD games, or games over component, or old PSX games. Hell, just today I was admiring Grandia 3 on my TV. Still a nice looking game.

Certainly. But all things being equal, the game with the better resolution, or better sound, whatever ... is the greater game.

Same game though. Sure, it looks better, sounds better. But games are interactive experiences. Who can tell someone they didn't fight the final boss, or that they didn't win the deathmatch, just because of the equipment they were using to interface with whatever console? An HDTV never made a bad game good, and although 3D can theoretically make something more entertaining, it hasn't done so for me yet.

10 bucks says the glasses were off. Some turn on automatically I've found and can get a little wonky and not turn on sometimes (demo glasses probably get beat up and therefor are unreliable, but who knows).

All I know is that I had a similar experience at my Fry's and then suddenly the glasses turned on and it was like OHHHH there it is. If they are off there's just this headache inducing effect that seems kinda sorta 3Dish but not really....it should be extremely obviously 3D. Try again and make sure the glasses are ON.

jett

D-Member
DonMigs85 said:
I've also noticed that 3D trailers (like for Alice in Wonderland) tend to exaggerate the 3D pop-out effect more than in the actual movie.

When a 3D movie tries to pop shit out it doesn't work for me at all. Shit gimmick.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MisterAnderson said:
10 bucks says the glasses were off.

Agreed.

I had the same experience as the OP once... then I went back and it worked fine. Must have been the glasses.

Clipper

BocoDragon said:
Agreed.

I had the same experience as the OP once... then I went back and it worked fine. Must have been the glasses.
So when he switched glasses with the person who could see the effect, they somehow managed to toggle the off/on switch on both pairs?

BocoDragon

Clipper said:
So when he switched glasses with the person who could see the effect, they somehow managed to toggle the off/on switch on both pairs?
Well now that I re-read it that sure does sound like he made sure they were on.

But in my case... I was demoing it with some other people who were enjoying themselves, and when the same glasses were passed to me they must have shut off.

Or maybe I really couldn't see it that day... I really don't know. But the next time I went back I saw it just fine.

I want the OP to go back and make damn well sure of this :lol

Raistlin

Speevy said:
No, more I hope it's not taking development time over gameplay features.

So all advancements should stop, because you're worried developers may waste resources? Again, I ask how you can consider this to not be a selfish stance?

Also, I despise the idea that someone who spent $700-1500 or more on a television still doesn't have a television that is prepared for the future. It's absurd.

Again ... all advancement should stop. Crap, this basically happens every 5 years. Deal with it, or don't. No one is forcing you to have every new gadget the day it releases. Similar, you shouldn't be forcing people to not have their new-fangled toy.

You think in very simple terms. Okay, not okay. It's called perspective. It's not meant to justify anything. Only to create a greater understanding, so you can make up your own mind. I bought an HDTV in 2007, and before then I could only dream of what games looked like on one. Now I know, but still appreciate great looking SD games, or games over component, or old PSX games. Hell, just today I was admiring Grandia 3 on my TV. Still a nice looking game.

I'm kind of confused how this gels with the rest of your posts ... at all. How does 3D television change this at all? It's the exact same situation repeating itself.

Same game though. Sure, it looks better, sounds better. But games are interactive experiences. Who can tell someone they didn't fight the final boss, or that they didn't win the deathmatch, just because of the equipment they were using to interface with whatever console? An HDTV never made a bad game good, and although 3D can theoretically make something more entertaining, it hasn't done so for me yet.

What does this have to do with what I said? Nothing. Are you purposely being obtuse?

Clipper said:
Well, red/blue is possible with all TVs already, but you lose a lot of the colour of the image. You cant polarise light emanating from an LCD/LED TV in different directions, so that method isn't possible.

I guess we probably will start seeing 3D home projectors releasing soon, which would work with polarised glasses, but they might cost a bit more seeing as you are essentially buying two projectors in one in that case. They should work for you, though.

You certainly seem to know a lot about this, thanks for the explanation again. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I'll be able to eventually get used to and start seeing 3D with the glasses on 3D TVs now because I won't be able to buy a projector due to space. Or maybe those glassless 3D TVs will eventually become the norm and I'll be able to see 3D on them as well.

BocoDragon said:
Well now that I re-read it that sure does sound like he made sure they were on.

But in my case... I was demoing it with some other people who were enjoying themselves, and when the same glasses were passed to me they must have shut off.

Or maybe I really couldn't see it that day... I really don't know. But the next time I went back I saw it just fine.

I want the OP to go back and make damn well sure of this :lol

This was my 2nd time and I made damn sure the glasses were on and I could tell when they were off, I could tell the difference. I'm 100% sure the glasses were definitely on.

Slavik81

Speevy said:
Developers barely need to do anything to support 3D. The main process of making a 3D game involves creating a 3D world, then taking pictures of it. For 3D, you just need to take 2 pictures.

There are some changes in places where developers cheat to make special effects, but all-in-all, it's not that much work. And in the future, it will be even less work.

Clipper said:

Anything is possible. The same experience happened to me and my dad (after it happened to me as I originally posted about). I put on the glasses, they turned on (automatically) and I was watching the demo reel. Then I passed them to my dad, he was like "this sucks" and I noticed they had shut off automatically during the pass-off (since this same experience happened to me days prior).

I'm not saying it's not impossible the OP can't see 3D (I wasn't aware that the effect could not be seen by some people) but all I'm saying is that the same thing happened to me, although with only one pair of glasses, not two.

Edit: Nvm, he made sure they were "on" twice.

BocoDragon

AranhaHunter said:
This was my 2nd time and I made damn sure the glasses were on and I could tell when they were off, I could tell the difference. I'm 100% sure the glasses were definitely on.
I guess you can park in the handicapped spot :(

Speevy said:

Considering that games that are already completed can (from what I understand) easily be converted into 3D, I wouldn't be too worried about 3D actually cutting into gameplay features or taking priority over them.

AranhaHunter said:
I have gone to those "4D" and 3D things at WDW and Universal Studios and I saw the 3D in those things just fine.

At least for me, it appears that theme park 3D = things pop out at you (duck when something flies at you, reach out to touch something), while movie theater and home 3D seem more about depth (nothing pops out).

I dont know, maybe I cant see it either. But then again, Ive been to the terminator 2 3D ride multiple times and never had problems with that.

Top Bottom