• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

Ugh, tabbing out and changing priority (which had indeed dropped back to Low) in the task manager when the framerate started to tank seemingly led to a display driver crash which changed the game's resolution to something akint o 800x600, putting it out of range of my monitor. Luckily my TV still picked it up, but turning off the game instantly led to a bluescreen afterwards. Weird.

Right, they had no clue about the performance issues and just decided to go ahead with the policy anyways. No clue.
That's not... Wha... What?

Bethesda has a policy regarding review embargos for their games that makes it so those with review copies cannot publish certain information about the games until launch day.

This policy exists for a number of reasons, but it didn't come to exist because of Dishonored 2.

DOOM looks and runs great. But that's their policy, so they stuck to it, despite speculation from people that assumed this meant the game would be bad.

Dishonored 2 has piss poor performance, on top of many other issues. That's still their policy.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Darak

This is an incredibly poor tech review. They miss everything from low CPU usage, blatant image quality issues, huge framerate dips, and even low overall performance. Their own graphs show a different story than their article text (their conclusion? 'Looks good, plays lovely'... Yeah, right).

Not to mention they are using promo PR bullshots to show the game instead of screenshots of their own gameplay.

Stay away from this site.

Porcupine

This is an incredibly poor tech review. They miss everything from low CPU usage, blatant image quality issues, huge framerate dips, and even low overall performance. Their own graphs show a different story than their article text (their conclusion? 'Looks good, plays lovely'... Yeah, right).

Not to mention they are using promo PR bullshots to show the game instead of screenshots of their own gameplay.

Absolutely. Some pictures are from videos and some are bullshots from the steam store page. Really unprofessional.

CHC

I think I'll just hold off to play until a patch can improve the performance, mouse, and general feel of the game. In all fairness I've seen much worse than this, so I'm not really up in arms, but I can tell there is a very special game under the tech issues and I'd rather just wait and play it without major issue.

napata

yeah that''s pretty weird. Would their CPU really get that much of a boost? I don't even max out my cpu usage when I get massive dips.

The screenshot you posted actually showed that you were being CPU bottlenecked. I assume the second % was the gpu usage?

Not maxing out cpu usage does not mean you aren't being bottleneck by your cpu. It's a bit more complicated than that.

riflen

You guys are way off-base, the generation of efficient GPU microcode is the number one focus on console this generation, in order to get maximal hardware utilization. As a result we pursue tons of techniques that leverage microcode intrinsics (to achieve scalarization for better VGPR utilization) or other hardware features on the consoles (render target metadata, MSAA abuse). Then we have to spend time figuring out how to bring similar to the PC (c.f. NVIDIA and AMD), or come up with alternate schemes.

And almost no one does development of PC as a port. PC is a different build target out of the same tree for almost every studio out there, and for a majority of them the primary development platform. I don't know why the audience clings to this notion of "ports", it's nonsensical.

The use of incorrect terminology and out-of-date ideas about game development is probably not helped by a lack of interviews and articles with a heavy technical bent. We're left here speculating. I've seen you posting great stuff in the IW and MWR threads and that kind of information is often extremely difficult to find and not common to see at all. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Occasionally I find a great blog or two, but they're like hen's teeth and usually don't address specific issues with specific titles. Probably almost everything boils down to a maths mistake somewhere and I suppose that's not very interesting to read about. =(

The screenshot you posted actually showed that you were being CPU bottlenecked. I assume the second % was the gpu usage?

Not maxing out cpu usage does not mean you aren't being bottleneck by your cpu. It's a bit more complicated than that.

dang really, I thought a 6600k OC'd to 4.5ghz wont have issues with this since tomb raider ran flawless with everything turned up. Sometimes it goes down to 50% gpu usage and 50% cpu usage, I'll try to take a screenshot if i can spot it immediately.

dr_rus

Haven't read anything, I just look at the results usually. They do seems to be a bit different to the rest of websites though.

Diancecht

Look how crazy the fps fluctuates. These two screenshots have less than one second between them:

dishonored22016-11-10dblka.png

This is on Ultra btw, game looks like hot garbage.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Look how crazy the fps fluctuates. These two screenshots have less than one second between them:

It's seemingly because the priority of the executable jumps between Normal and Low.

Edit: Oh, duh, you're the very same person who mentioned earlier that you gained 20fps when manually increasing the priority, haha.

@Jasec like during just walking around? Thought I read earlier that you had to alt tab/load to a different zone for it to go back to low. Can't test it right now. :(

In my case select Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 1 in NVCP (Dishonerd 2 Profile app) helped me a lot.

I gained about 10fps..better than nothing.

Tovarisc

@Jasec like during just walking around? Thought I read earlier that you had to alt tab/load to a different zone for it to go back to low. Can't test it right now. :(

If devs have done something absolutely moronic with game engine then it's possible that game keeps swapping CPU priority up and down depending on its mood, in real time. Trying to be dynamic tad too hard.

That sounds so dumb, honestly. I hope this will get fixed like Akham Knight did. I can run that game flawlessly at 90fps and I think that looks way better than Dishonored 2.

Nephix

Looking around a bit it looks like some people were having the same issues with Doom 2016 ( low priority process ).

Can someone even confirm it runs smooth with higher priority?

There's no way to even check as it defaults to low whenever you alt tab back to game.
Even running a batch file in the background with a delay to set the priority to high doesn't do anything, it forcefully sets low whenever there's a change.

Josemsar

Neo Member

WOW.... That front builidng looks really bad.... And itś not an artistic thing... WOW... So bad... And I'm here waiting to receive the collectors...

GOD DAMMIT

Moff

Well apparently it runs like shit on consoles as well. How can you develop a game for years without playing it for a minute is beyond me.

Nephix

Well, running a batch file on a loop that repeatedly sets the process priority to high, I'm seeing my FPS jump from 58 to 82 in the same scene occasionally.

But it won't stick obviously as the game constantly wants to force low priority.

JaseC

The Game is not appearing in the Steam Profile either.

That's because it still has the section_type = ownersonly flag, which restricts the extent to which the app can broadcast to Steam Community. Publishers are supposed to remove it when a game unlocks. AssCreed Syndicate had the flag for almost a week following release, which confused quite a lot of people.

WTF? I've sent in a Steam Refund request (I'll buy it again next month once it's been patched) but Steam is making it look like the refund was for Dishonored 1 (which I purchased and played in 2012), not 2. I assume it's some sort of glitch as a result of the pre-order giving you the Dishonored Definitive Edition.

Hopefully Steam figures it out and doesn't incorrectly remove Dishonored 1 from my library.

You won't lose the original game (or, rather, shouldn't). The website just gets a little confused when a package contains multiple games.

JaseC

Hm, thanks. I cancelled the refund request and sent another in with a note about what it was actually for. (Not that those actually get read -- I'm assuming that this is a mostly automated system for any games in the 14 days / 2 hours limit.)

Yeah, as I understand it, requests that run afoul of neither guideline are actually processed automatically unless your account has been flagged for potential abuse.

2 hour limit, oh. I've already played 6 hours. I thought it was 20. Whelp. I'm fucked if this never gets fixed. Most of the 6 too was just tinkering with the gfx settings. Fuck me sideways.

Top Bottom