• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

the retro-bit generations dropped as well, apparently

tumblr_ogieoiPv9I1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg
Anyone pick one up as well?

killroy87

Just out of curiosity, Nintendo has never come out and talked about how limited this thing might be, correct? Like, there no reason to believe that this isn't all just because of launch hype, and Nintendo will keep a steady stream of them flowing in, right?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just out of curiosity, Nintendo has never come out and talked about how limited this thing might be, correct? Like, there no reason to believe that this isn't all just because of launch hype, and Nintendo will keep a steady stream of them flowing in, right?
Their Twitter confirmed they would keep producing units through the holidays and into the new year.

StereoVsn

I am still bitter at that Amazon fiasco yesterday. Had browser windows open on 3 different devices with one on my work network and 1gb Internet link. All I got was a broken shopping cart.

Sushigod7

Heads up for anyone who plans on using two controllers with extension cables: A couple people in the reviews for the Insignia cable sold at Best Buy mentioned that if you use the extension cable on controller one, the clear piece of plastic at the end of the cable prevents you from plugging in a second controller. Here's an image of the cable:

All of the extension cables that I've seen being sold appear to have the same piece of plastic screwed in at the end. Looking at this picture, though, I'm curious if you can simply remove the two screws, take off the clear piece of plastic, then screw it back together and use the cable without issue. I can't really see what the practical use of that clear piece of plastic is.

Regardless, just something to keep in mind.

I can confirm these screws come out and you could probably leave them out with no issue. I put them back in and they do screw all the way back down flush allowing you to plug both cords into the mini. I used a eye glass repair kit screwdriver. Perfect now.

The obvious reason is that N64 doesn't have the same selling power that the NES has. It has a lot less nostalgia attached to it for many people, and a lot of it's games haven't aged that well.

I'd say if they can't get Goldeneye on there, dont even bother. That game is too important and tied to that systems library and identity. As for the aging part, I would tend to agree that alot of 3d games from that era havent aged all that great, either visually or control/camera-wise. The NES/ Snes titles have aged much better since we've had a 2d renaissance in recent years, and the simple platform-hopping nature of many games transition much better. Never would have thought it 20 years ago.

AGoodODST

What display are you guys using? I've mostly stuck to pixel perfect as that looks really nice but just tried out the CRT mode and it's really good.

I love this thing.

Turnbl

So what setup has everyone gone for? I like how modern TVs can power it via USB. Not sure why Nintendo didn't talk more about this.

The NES is a living/gaming room device so no excuse for the ridiculous length of the controller cable. A desk setup might feel a bit strange?

The little box is so light and portable, it will work well as a party device.

Will still need to get an extension cable at some point but it's a great little system. Really enjoying playing it so far and feeling that nostalgia!

rCYwaGH.jpg

Celine

The obvious reason is that N64 doesn't have the same selling power that the NES has. It has a lot less nostalgia attached to it for many people, and a lot of it's games haven't aged that well.

I can see a SNES Mini coming in the next few years, but I have a hard time seeing an N64 mini. I'd personally love it, but I can't see it selling even a quarter of what the NES Mini will do, and I doubt that'll be enough for Nintendo to consider it.
The Classic Mini series is born primarily to target the US market and there the N64 sold almost as good as the SNES.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
jIii8Pbl.jpg

I use it like a desk toy.
Could use it on my 140 inch projector screen but i'm not sure it would look good

NewDust

Never have had a Nintendo device before, yet I always wanted to know my classics. Having played with it for like 30 minutes, I have come to the conclusion that retro games are not for me. Still going to keep my "Nessy" though.

Sushigod7

So what setup has everyone gone for? I like how modern TVs can power it via USB. Not sure why Nintendo didn't talk more about this.

The NES is a living/gaming room device so no excuse for the ridiculous length of the controller cable. A desk setup might feel a bit strange?

The little box is so light and portable, it will work well as a party device.

Will still need to get an extension cable at some point but it's a great little system. Really enjoying playing it so far and feeling that nostalgia!

I don't have a pic but in the play room in our house I have a older TV with no USB so I plugged it into my router for power and used the extensions to sit further back In my living room I think with extensions I could sit on the couch now too.

Celine

Never have had a Nintendo device before, yet I always wanted to know my classics. Having played with it for like 30 minutes, I have come to the conclusion that retro games are not for me. Still going to keep my "Nessy" though.
Keep in mind that level memorization is very important for NES games and usually they were created with the mindset that the main goal was to conquer the game instead to just reach the end.

the retro-bit generations dropped as well, apparently

Anyone pick one up as well?
I'm curious too.
Capcom and Data East made some mighty fine arcade games.

EDIT:
Wait I thought the retro-bit generations was about arcade games but it seem I was wrong (mostly are console port of arcade games or exclusive console sequel of known arcade games).

Ninja Dom

UK folk. I have mine delivered but haven't yet collected it so I have a few questions.

1) Is there two controllers or one included? Nintendo Life's unboxing video had two controllers in their package.

2) Is the cable length for the controllers still short?

3) Is the Donkey Kong version the 3 screen one or the updated 4 screen one?

So my work (a Walmart in Canada) seems to be getting more of these in the week AFTER Black Friday. Seems like an... odd choice, but at least there's more on the way!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
UK folk. I have mine delivered but haven't yet collected it so I have a few questions.

1) Is there two controllers or one included? Nintendo Life's unboxing video had two controllers in their package.

2) Is the cable length for the controllers still short?

3) Is the Donkey Kong version the 3 screen one or the updated 4 screen one?

1. Just the one controller.
  2. Short cable.
  3. It's the standard NES release of DK.

NewDust

Keep in mind that level memorization is very important for NES games and usually they were created with the mindset that the main goal was to conquer the game instead to just reach the end.

Oh, I realize that. I'm just spoiled by modern games.

stupei

Just picked mine up at Nintendo NY, but I've got to go in to work now. (Actually running late, but it's an office job so I can easily make up the time at the end of the day.) Glad I went because they just officially cut off the line.

But while I was there, we were approached in line by someone who identified himself as the product manager who asked why we were so excited that we were willing to line up for it. He said that they didn't see this coming at all and honestly sounded slightly dazed. "You can play these other places, you've played all of them before." Then we talked about the quality of the emulation for a while, the design, and how these are contributing factors.

I said that for the SNES I could see it being even bigger and, again, I was surprised that he seemed so shocked. "Would you all really buy a Super NES one?" He turned to the other people in line, who all agreed that the SNES was an even bigger part of their childhoods, with a more beloved collection of games.

He was so surprised by everything we were saying. So either Nintendo has no idea what their consumers are into or they are so dedicated to artificial scarcity that they are pretending to be oblivious in public.

Something tells me one of these is more likely than the other.

D.Lo

I can see a SNES Mini coming in the next few years, but I have a hard time seeing an N64 mini. I'd personally love it, but I can't see it selling even a quarter of what the NES Mini will do, and I doubt that'll be enough for Nintendo to consider it.
All in your opinion, especially the games having aged poorly. On Virtual console they looked and played great, and kept being released so they must have done well enough there.

N64 sold as much as the SNES in the US, and the NES is only iconic for a certain generation (mid thirties). For a generation 10 years younger the N64 was their NES.

Ninja Dom

Just picked mine up at Nintendo NY, but I've got to go in to work now. (Actually running late, but it's an office job so I can easily make up the time at the end of the day.) Glad I went because they just officially cut off the line.

But while I was there, we were approached in line by someone who identified himself as the product manager who asked why we were so excited that we were willing to line up for it. He said that they didn't see this coming at all and honestly sounded slightly dazed. "You can play these other places, you've played all of them before." Then we talked about the quality of the emulation for a while, the design, and how these are contributing factors.

I said that for the SNES I could see it being even bigger and, again, I was surprised that he seemed so shocked. "Would you all really buy a Super NES one?" He turned to the other people in line, who all agreed that the SNES was an even bigger part of their childhoods, with a more beloved collection of games.

He was so surprised by everything we were saying. So either Nintendo has no idea what their consumers are into or they are so dedicated to artificial scarcity that they are pretending to be oblivious in public.

That's a nice story. What we as gamers have to remember is that while WE grew up with these games & systems, many people who work at Nintendo probably didn't grow up as gamers. These "Product Managers", "Marketing People", are simply people who are competent enough to do the job today. But it doesn't mean they grew up on Nintendo like we did. Hence the sheer surprise from the dude in your story.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Dude in our neighborhood Facebook marketplace was hawking one of these for $350.

Had fun informing everyone that with a $30 Bluetooth controller they could play the entire NES/Famicom library on their phones for free.

Fuck scalpers.

Chastten

Banned
All in your opinion, especially the games having aged poorly. On Virtual console they looked and played great, and kept being released so they must have done well enough there.

N64 sold as much as the SNES in the US, and the NES is only iconic for a certain generation (mid thirties). For a generation 10 years younger the N64 was their NES.

Not really. For the generation under me, the PSX was their NES. Neither the N64 nor the SNES ever had the same position as the NES had.

The aging thing is indeed a matter of opinion, but a lot of people agree on this subject. It doesn't matter what you or me think, but the general opinion is that early 3D aged a lot worse then 2D, so yeah, all in all it might not make an N64 mini an attractive proposition for Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love one with Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding and a few others, but at this point I'm not seeing it.

TheMoon

I don't see any obvious reason. It's old enough to be easily emulated, the games are small, it would be great. It would have less games, maybe 10, and they'd likely boost resolution to 640x480 like the Virtual console.

The only real issue would be that getting Rare's games on it would be hard. But even a Mario64/Zeldas/Smash/Kart/Party/Wave Race/1080/Star Fox box would go down a treat.

there ya go.

Their own VC is limited to non-controller pak games, meaning third party would be almost entirely excluded. Limiting the possibly game selection severely. Plus it's the n64 and that only really was a hit in NA whereas NES and SNES blew up somewhat equally world wide. Ergo: not happening.

Sorry if this has been answered before but would this work as a controller option?

3xeJx5c.jpg

Yes, anything with the Wiimote plug.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Dude in our neighborhood Facebook marketplace was hawking one of these for $350.

Had fun informing everyone that with a $30 Bluetooth controller they could play the entire NES/Famicom library on their phones for free.

Fuck scalpers.

that doesn't sound legal

can't say 100% but some guy in this thread was using a fightstick on the nes mini ..
so i guess yes?

The super nintendo classic controller does work, but my madcatz fight stick does not.

Shoebox

Fuck scalpers.

I'm with you there, but It's more about the hype of actually acquiring one than the games themselves right now. Seems like $225-$250 is the going rate on eBay...

Greyvvolf

there ya go.

Their own VC is limited to non-controller pak games, meaning third party would be almost entirely excluded. Limiting the possibly game selection severely. Plus it's the n64 and that only really was a hit in NA whereas NES and SNES blew up somewhat equally world wide. Ergo: not happening.

Yes, anything with the Wiimote plug.

can't say 100% but some guy in this thread was using a fightstick on the nes mini ..
so i guess yes?

Interesting. Thanks!

AdanVC

Great OT, Max!

Well, damn. Apparently the mini NES is sold out everywhere here in Mexico despite being almost $100 dollars... and scalpers in Facebook are selling it double and even triple than that and they receive nothing but insults, lmao.

Veitsev

Are these only a limited run then, or will there be plenty of stock in a few weeks time??

They aren't limited run. More stock is coming. Given that we getting close to Christmas and they are going for $250-$300 on eBay, they will very likely be hard to find until the new year.

MrBenchmark

I hope that supply picks up for the people who have not been able to get one that actually want one to USE.

I got lucky by sitting outside my gamestop from 6:45 am till they opened.

that last thread had some real classy people. As a person who worked corporate loss prevention your buddies are on camera the system transactions are tracked. Not today not tomorrow but your "buddies" will be fired and most likely prosecuted as Gamestop always does.

These thing and times of year seem to always bring out people with zero moral compass.

Good luck to the "gamers" who are on the hunt.

TheMoon

Are these only a limited run then, or will there be plenty of stock in a few weeks time??

Again, Nintendo has already said they'll restock regularly into the new year...

Everybody needs to chill out about 30 year old games lol

Nobody needs this day 1 for more than MSRP.

Damnit, Ninty

Mzo

Looking at eBay sold auctions, this is a huge success for scalpers. I really don't understand paying 4x the going rate. What is wrong with people? This is exactly the kind of mentality that is ruining the retro game market.

sikkinixx

Mine doesn't arrive until Thursday but a buddy brought his over last night and we played Mega Man, poorly, for hours. We suck at games now. If this thing didn't have save states I'm pretty sure we would have stopped shortly into the gong show that is Wily's fortress.

That cord length is seriously a huge what the fuck question about this thing. It's obscene how short they are. I get it, we both commented we felt like kids sitting on the floor together to play the games but it gets real old real quick.

Aeana

Fuck scalpers.

Telling people go to pirate games doesn't sound any more virtuous than the scalpers you're criticizing.

Spades

I'm starting to think that Nintendo made the cables short on purpose so we'd all end up sat cross legged on the living room floor, just like we did as kids.

Top Bottom