• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

maxcriden

***Info on how to buy from Amazon today***

AMAZON (FRIDAY AT APPROX. 5PM ET)
Amazon is being pretty straightforward about NES Classic availability: it won’t be in stock for long. We’re probably talking mere minutes, seeing as the company is turning off one-click purchasing to give everyone the same fair shot at securing one. NES Classic orders are also strictly limited to one per customer. Amazon estimates that sales will begin at 2PM PT (5PM ET), but you’ll probably want to be online and ready several minutes before that. Here’s where the order page will likely be. (Note that this link may default to the spare controller; if so, you’ve got to use the dropdown to switch to the console itself.) Check your credit card info to make sure it’s up to date! (Via The Verge

--

nesclassicotzszni.jpg

-ABOUT-

• The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition has the original look and feel, only smaller, sleeker, and pre-loaded with 30 games
  • The pre-installed games include: Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, PAC-MAN, Dr. Mario, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, and dozens more
  • Includes a standard HDMI cable
  • Comes with one old-school, grey-colored NES Classic Controller and an AC adapter
  • Also compatible with Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro. Additional NES Classic Controllers will be sold separately
  • Use the included NES controller on your Wii (a product that debuted ten years ago)
  • Special Thanks to BGBW for the OT title!

-FEATURES-

Full List of Games (for NES Classic)

Balloon Fight
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts'N Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Share the fun with a friend
Games like Pac-Man™, TECMO BOWL, and Dr. Mario™ are even better with a buddy. And you won’t have to fight over a controller.

Use your Classic Controller™ or Classic Controller Pro™ (sold separately), or buy a second NES Classic Controller.

Save your game with Suspend Points
Pick up right where you left off with four Suspend Point slots for each game. Just press the Reset button while playing to return to the HOME menu and save your progress to a slot.

Have a perfect run going? You can lock your save file and resume at a later time so there's no danger of losing your progress.

Choose your look with Display Modes
  • CRT filter: Looks like an old TV, scan lines and all.
  • 4:3: Gives you the original NES game look, with a slight horizontal stretch.
  • Pixel Perfect: Each pixel is a perfect square, so you see the games exactly as designed.

Official Site: https://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic/

-MANUALS-

Get them here:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/index.html (English, the Queen's and otherwise)
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/ja/index.html (日本語)

Official Book:

Playing With Power: Nintendo NES Classics (Hardcover and Paperback)

51R0aGaASfL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What can I get* in the US?

nes-classic-edition-b74zsu.png

nes-controller-boxley9m.png

*If you're reading this it may be too late.

What can I get in the EU? (Giant Ratings Stickers affixed at no additional cost!)

nes-classic-edition-bdxb81.png

nes-controller-box24lxz.png

ファミコンミニ見たことありますか?

spec_top_mainkczge.png

-INTERVIEWS-

miyamoto-tezuka-kondo.jpg

Donkey Kong
Balloon Fight

SMB/3

-OTHER STUFF THAT'S REALLY RAD-

Legends of Localization: The Legend of Zelda Manual
TechCrunch: Review: The NES Classic Edition and all 30 games on it
The Verge: The 5 NES Classic Edition games you need to play
Shmuplations: The 1986 Famicom Crisis – Developer Interviews (this site is a [URL="http://shmuplations.com/games/"]treasure troveof previously untranslated interviews)[/URL]
Ars Technica: The NES turns 30: How it began, worked, and saved an industry
Rent "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" for $2 at Vudu in HD (incredible documentary about competitive DK players)

donkey-kong.png
mario.png
bowser.png
link.png

Dragoshi1

Gonna get the Famicom Mini next time it's in stock, and I need to grab that book, but for now, enjoying my Mini Nes. It's so cute.

Hobbun

Great OT!

Hopefully will be picking this up today after work, I may have a line on a system.

Already preordered the hardcover strategy guide from Amazon.

Yay for OT.
I'm enjoying this so much right now. I had that and yes when I was so little that I don't remember the games that well. The emulation seems really smooth, input lag really low, and I can even play punch out and make them into with much ease. It doesn't seem like that your sound channels are in Zelda though.

One game I never played before was Kid icarus and I like it so far. The music reminds me a lot of Metroid. Does anyone know if they're made by the same team?

Another interesting tidbit was that the people at Best Buy were trying to sell me an HDMI cord with it. I figured I had plenty at home so I said no only to find that there is one include in the box. SMH.

I was able to get one when Best Buy's online product went up last night. I also went to my local target at 8am this morning to only find that they had two units and were sold out a minute after opening. I drove across the strip mall to game stop and saw 10 people in line already, but I figured they would only have eight available. I didn't drove across the parking lot to Best Buy where there only two people in line there. Turns out game stop had had six units and Best Buy had 40. Totally worth it.

This might sound weird, but I don't mind the short controller cords. I'm sitting in front of my TV cross-legged while I play...just like I did as a four-year-old playing my OG NES that my parents worked so hard to buy me.

I like it.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
If someone can grab me one I would really appreciate it and I pay in full. I got out of work super late...

Richie

Yet another excellent OT from you, maxcriden. Great work, man!

With the price the Mini NES has in Mexico I'm not getting one anytime soon, sadly...My only hope is this pop and mom store to which I frequently sell games to, if they get it, its likely cheaper price, coupled with the the in-store credit I've got accumulated there, that may just soften the blow...

BarrettW

Neo Member
Anyone get the book? Impressions?

I'm thinking of getting the hardcover as a consolation prize if I don't snag the console from Amazon but the one review says its disappointing and doesn't even have the Zelda overworld map.

maxcriden

I have no idea what this means.

The order option won't default to the console itself, so you'll have to click on the box and manually select the console prior to adding it to your cart.

Sorry, fixed. The link from the other thread I believe is a better one. Fixed it here. (All the original quote would have meant is that they didn't have a link yet or assumed it would be manually updated with an added dropdown menu to select the console, but based on your convo with RedRumy3 in the other thread I think they are incorrect and that that poster has the correct link.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFJBQ1E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the post I'm referring to from the other thread:

Also replied to you in there mentioning 3PM is only correct if you're Mountain time. 2PM PST and 5 PM EST is the time. :)

StAidan

Thanks for the OT.

I already have many ways to play NES games (Virtual Console, AVS, and even an original NES), but I bought this thing and hooked it up to the second monitor on my computer desk. I can play NES games from pretty much any room in the house now, lol.

My Playing With Power guide should also be delivered today. Only thing I'm missing is that extra controller, but I can wait for a restock since I have some old Wii Classic Controllers.

Pretty excited for this release.

Justinh

Super C the ��
I like these words (and images) that came out of your mouth.

I'm thinking of getting the hardcover as a consolation prize if I don't snag the console from Amazon but the one review says its disappointing and doesn't even have the Zelda overworld map.

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about the book too.

FFS...

these are apparently "sold" listings. There are "sold" listings at 1000/1500, but that can't be on the level...

jrcbandit

So, what are the benefits of getting this over just emulating the games on a variety of different devices?

Unless you are pirating the games (which a ton of people who emulate do ;p), it is allot cheaper considering WiiU or Wii Virtual Console is $5 per NES game. Also, the emulation quality is far superior to the NES emulator on the WiiU. Personally, I already sold my WiiU in anticipation of the Switch and haven't owned a Wii in years....

I got to World 8-1 in Mario before going Game Over. Died in so many stupid ways like hitting the hidden coin block and falling into the pit when trying to get the warp zone in 4-2.

Link also died before getting to the first temple.

This is pretty hardcore shit, a lot harder than I remember... I must be getting old.

I love the design, it's even smaller and lighter than I thought. Beautiful. The menu music is great too.

Great OT. That subtitle is great.

Mine arrived today (Nintendo Store UK order) but it was shipped to my folks' place and I'm unsure if I'll grab it tonight or tomorrow. Kinda wanting it now but it'll add about an hour onto my home journey so we'll see.

Nowhere seems to be carrying the controllers around here so hope they get stock soon.

I have the Playing With Power book on me at the moment after picking it up in a Waterstones (UK bricks and mortar store). Will have a flick through and share some impressions when I get home in a while.

[edit]

Hoo boy, that Playing With Power Amazon review isn't good at all.

Ah, experiencing once again what it was like to be desperate for lives because dying would mean going back to the beginning.

This is why people love stuff like Dark Souls and Bloodborne in modern times. I appreciate that lives and no save states are both archaic, but games lacking those things really do a lot to increase the tension in any given encounter within the game...and thus increase the fun.

I just got a five-up in SMB3, and I was thrilled because I bled three or four lives in the past two levels (one was a bullshit death - I don't remember the original SMB3 having you die if you jumped on a jumping block in the middle of its leap to attack you, but apparently it does).

Jerm411

Damn I forgot how much fun Bubble Bobble co-op is.....still one of the truly underrated GOATs.

Double Dragon II with a friend too....oh doctor.....

Would've killed for original Contra instead of Super C and Paperboy but still just an awesome system.

Flavius

I preordered the hard cover copy, and it just arrived about 5 minutes ago from Amazon...

My initial impressions are -- it's...okay. I like the slipcase design, and the cover design is alright. But the interior pages feel really cheap to me, and the larger graphics are pretty obviously low res scans. Not too pretty.

Still, the nostalgia hits hard, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the trip as I read through the content. Happy I didn't pay MSRP on it, though. It isn't worth it.

I'll add pics shortly.

EDIT: Here are some pics...

I just got a five-up in SMB3, and I was thrilled because I bled three or four lives in the past two levels (one was a bullshit death - I don't remember the original SMB3 having you die if you jumped on a jumping block in the middle of its leap to attack you, but apparently it does).

Coins use to be a necessary item to collect in Mario games.

Hobbun

I preordered the hard cover copy, and it just arrived about 5 minutes ago from Amazon...

My initial impressions are -- it's...okay. I like the slipcase design, and the cover design is alright. But the interior pages feel really cheap to me, and the larger graphics are pretty obviously low res scans. Not too pretty.

Still, the nostalgia hits hard, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the trip as I read through the content. Happy I didn't pay MSRP on it, though. It isn't worth it.

I'll add pics shortly.

EDIT: Here are some pics...

That's 320 pages?

The description on Amazon and Prima say the book is supposed to be 320 pages, certainly doesn't look like it.

Tecmo Bowl's "on defense" theme is amazing. I forgot how amazing it is.

My only complaint about the game list is that there aren't enough sports games. Even just adding Blades of Steel would have been great.

Flavius

That's 320 pages?

The description on Amazon and Prima say the book is supposed to be 320 pages, certainly doesn't look like it.

Like I said, the pages are super thin...cheap. But the page count is accurate. The more I think about it, the more I recommend that anyone interested waits for a below $20 price point. This screams $19.99 MSRP to me.

book doesn't sound too great.

Got my nes mini yesterday, seems great - my memory isn't good enough to notice the audio issues that have been noted. Pad cable length is iffy, but the quality of the pad itself feels fantastic.

Will get a famicom mini when the smoke clears and the price is back to normal.

norm9

Got the amazon page up. Ready to go. Let's do it. *cracks knuckles*

Eta- I know you can only buy one on amazon. But is that one at a time? I'd like to have a second to gift, so if I luckily get one, I wonder if I can quickly purchase as a second transaction.

Top Bottom