• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man people from ND left to go to Bioware?
Some, yes.

Sounds promising.

Has there been any info about whether it has a Citadel-like area akin to ME1, or if it's going to be a smaller one like in the sequels?
Yes, the Nexus is one of multiple major hubs:

h8EXJV4.png

VL4zBL1.png

Yeah, it's tough to get a reading on the Nexus without knowing how big the Ark is; smaller than the Citadel, for sure, but still huge even if we assume the Ark is "just" regular Dreadnaught sized.

Melchiah

Yes, the Nexus is one of multiple major hubs:

Ah. Thanks for those.

Yeah, it's tough to get a reading on the Nexus without knowing how big the Ark is; smaller than the Citadel, for sure, but still huge even if we assume the Ark is "just" regular Dreadnaught sized.

The outward size of Nexus might not matter that much, as Citadel was never fully accessible inside either. It remains to be seen how much of it they let the players explore.

Ah. Thanks for those.

The outward size of Nexus might not matter that much, as Citadel was never fully accessible inside either. It remains to be seen how much of it they let the players explore.

Oh, that's true; I meant in-universe, not like gameplay explorable area.

I doubt they'll make it much larger than the ME1 Citadel, just because nobody likes schlepping around in big hubs. I want something rich in content, not floorspace.

DevilDog

I doubt they'll make it much larger than the ME1 Citadel, just because nobody likes schlepping around in big hubs. I want something rich in content, not floorspace.

What about a large, rich in content hub?

What about a large, rich in content hub?

Not as good as a reasonably compact hub with lots of stuff going on. At least, in an ME context, if this was an open-world series things might be different. I want to be able to go in, feel immersed, take care of whatever business I've got there, and leave in a reasonable time. Large enough to fulfill criteria 2 is fine. Make it too big and it just gets annoying.

Melchiah

I think it was pretty much perfect size in ME1. The only downside was the loading times, which shouldn't be an issue now. I didn't really like how it was divided into different floors in the 3rd, IIRC.

I think it was pretty much perfect size in ME1. The only downside was the loading times, which shouldn't be an issue now. I didn't really like how it was divided into different floors in the 3rd, IIRC.

It was 2 that had the floors; I kind of liked that, tbh. Nice and compact, easy to navigate...

But yeah, there was something about the ME1 setup that was really nice. Something with that size and variety would work.

DevilDog

Not as good as a reasonably compact hub with lots of stuff going on. At least, in an ME context, if this was an open-world series things might be different. I want to be able to go in, feel immersed, take care of whatever business I've got there, and leave in a reasonable time. Large enough to fulfill criteria 2 is fine. Make it too big and it just gets annoying.

Honestly with the fast travel system of ME1, the Citadel being big was never an issue.
It was more immersive knowing that this place is so big, hey I better take a cab.
But I can also walk there if I wanted, and maybe search the area for some secrets.

I'm a huge fan of searching huge hubs for secrets and secret levels. It was always one of my most beloved features from KH1 and some old Harry Potter games. I need more keeper like quests in my life.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It was 2 that had the floors; I kind of liked that, tbh. Nice and compact, easy to navigate...

But yeah, there was something about the ME1 setup that was really nice. Something with that size and variety would work.

3 also had floors. I mean, you had to use the elevator every time you wanted to change floors.

At least in ME2, you could reach all floors by foot if you felt like it. Of course, the total size was smaller than ME3's Citadel, but still.

I kinda hate how ME3 only had the Citadel as a hub. Sure, they were mini hubs all over the place, but never the size of Omega or Noveria.

Cake Boss

Banned
So I saw that Mass Effect games have been added to EA Access, I played 2&3 and loved them both.

Should I bother with ME1? so far the gunplay seems so clunky and outdated, so are the visuals. But the music, the writing and the 'adventure' looks to be Mass Effecty.

My question is should I even bother with ME1?

Bisnic

So I saw that Mass Effect games have been added to EA Access, I played 2&3 and loved them both.

Should I bother with ME1? so far the gunplay seems so clunky and outdated, so are the visuals. But the music, the writing and the 'adventure' looks to be Mass Effecty.

If you can't get past the outdated gunglay and visuals, I'd say don't bother. But the story & overall atmosphere are absolutely worth it imo.

DevilDog

If you're on PC you can mod it to look good.

Also after you level up a bit, you don't really need to use the cover system too often and the gunplay is fine. Try to use more powers though, they are OP af.

The writing and the atmosphere are godlike and the best in the series though.

It kills me on the inside when others skip the first game when it is still absolutely playable and enjoyable on any system without mods. You lose so much backstory, universe development, and attachment to things just by doing that stupid gimmicky interactive comic.

SaylorMan

It kills me on the inside when others skip the first game when it is still absolutely playable and enjoyable on any system without mods. You lose so much backstory, universe development, and attachment to things just by doing that stupid gimmicky interactive comic.

Totally agree, there is SO much to gain from playing ME1.

On another note; everything I've been hearing from Gameinformer sounds promising. Biggest fear is loss of identity for the franchise. Most things they've shown narrative/art wise feels new and alien, which is great! But I hope when I finally get my hands on the game it feels like a mash up of the Mass Effect we know and something alien.

DevilDog

Totally agree, there is SO much to gain from playing ME1.

On another note; everything I've been hearing from Gameinformer sounds promising. Biggest fear is loss of identity for the franchise. Most things they've shown narrative/art wise feels new and alien, which is great! But I hope when I finally get my hands on the game it feels like a mash up of the Mass Effect we know and something alien.

You like that our teammates can't die? That sounds like a huge loss of the original identity already.

Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

Maledict

Nah, I'm sorry but ME1 was riven with gameplay issues when it was released. Going back to it now is extremely difficult, and I know several people who weren't able to get into the series at all because Me1 is so flawed.

It has an amazing story and end sequence, but between the combat system, the mako, the generic copy and paste worlds it is not a good gaming experience for many folks in 2016.

Melchiah

Unfortunately, it wasn't a choice for many, as ME1 was released on the PS3 after the sequels. Not to mention, that EA remained silent about it prior to its release. If people had known it's coming, they could have postponed playing the sequels until then.

Personally, I watched all the important ME1 cutscenes before playing ME2, which helped to get oriented to the story, but it also stripped the ME1 experience all of its surprises.

Did they confirm whether we can change the name of Papa Ryder?

I'm not feeling the name Alec. Would be great if we could change it cause my father's first name would fit nice with "Ryder"

Bisnic

If we're exploring a mysterious new galaxy... I think a shopping mall city hub kinda takes that magic away.

If the Milky Way can have them, why wouldn't Andromeda too? Just because it's a foreign galaxy doesn't mean it has to be just savage cultures who lives in dangerous conditions.

DOWN

Banned
If we're exploring a mysterious new galaxy... I think a shopping mall city hub kinda takes that magic away.
? There are civilizations in Andromeda. Of course you will find some cities in the midst of your exploration. You aren't going to a near-empty galaxy. Now THAT would take the magic away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EA follows a similar dev pipeline to most AAA publishers, notably Ubisoft. A core team leads the project, constructing and directing the vision, while numerous support studios provide essential manpower when development enters full production.

The difference with Andromeda compared to its predecessors is that while Edmonton mained the trilogy, Montreal is core this time around. Montreal had been slowly growing into a more sizable, self sufficient arm starting with ME2, and contributed pretty significantly to the combat/play design of ME3. With Andromeda they're much larger and calling most of the shots that Edmonton did last time around.

So while yes you'll get a bunch of senior folk at Montreal who contributed to at least ME3, a lot of the Andromeda blood is fresh.

Lucreto

Did they confirm whether we can change the name of Papa Ryder?

I'm not feeling the name Alec. Would be great if we could change it cause my father's first name would fit nice with "Ryder"

I don't think so. He is meant to be an important person in the Mass Effect universe. Also the twins don't have official names so you name them instead of the Father.

Bisnic

I'd prefer if we didn't have to name all the "Ryders". How will characters talk to them? I mean, it was somewhat ok in the original trilogy since you only had one character to name, but if you start naming more than one character, you're going to end up with a bunch of awkward scenes where people are scared of calling you and your family by their first name for some reason.

Bisnic

I have doubts even with the main character. If you play the male twin, is your dad always (and i mean, always) going to call you "son" and you sister twin will always call you "brother"? I mean, who does that in real life?

Dany

Banned
I doubt you name your dad or twin at all. It would screw up any casual dialogue referring to them.

Nah. The brother and sister will call their father "dad" or "commander or whatever his rank is during missions"

I imagine the twins will call eachother by nicknames. The main character that we play as will also have the surname ryder, pathfinder and chosen one to be called as by NPC's

ALSO. has there been any information that you can take your twin with you on missions? Or your father? I have suspicion that dad dies early in the game and one of the kids have to take over.

DOWN

Banned
Nah. The brother and sister will call their father "dad" or "commander or whatever his rank is during missions"

I imagine the twins will call eachother by nicknames. The main character that we play as will also have the surname ryder, pathfinder and chosen one to be called as by NPC's

ALSO. has there been any information that you can take your twin with you on missions? Or your father? I have suspicion that dad dies early in the game and one of the kids have to take over.
I just think it's gonna be a little obvious and clunky if every character never can refer to your sibling as anything but "your brother/sister" when talking to you. And when talking to someone else? What are they gonna say?

I hope its nicely done but maybe your twin just isn't brought up much and usually communicates directly with you

Corsick

I just think it's gonna be a little obvious and clunky if every character never can refer to your sibling as anything but "your brother/sister" when talking to you. And when talking to someone else? What are they gonna say?

I hope its nicely done but maybe your twin just isn't brought up much and usually communicates directly with you

Agreed that It'll be far too obvious and awkward if they did that. Just make them locked into a certain name and tell people to deal with it. Don't let it make every conversation involving them sound weird.

I wonder how Bioware is going to justify Andromeda species being at a roughly equivalent development stage as the Milky Way races when they haven't suffered over a billion years of Reaper cullings. I get that it has to be this way for gameplay purposes, but still.

The bigger question is why aren't all the races of Andromeda dead or messed up from Synthetics when we know the universe works in patterns and that machines will always surpass their creators. In the billions of years Andromeda has existed one of the races has bound to have fucked up like the Leviathan's did and created a machine mess.

Dany

Banned
I wonder how Bioware is going to justify Andromeda species being at a roughly equivalent development stage as the Milky Way races when they haven't suffered over a billion years of Reaper culling. I get that it has to be this way for gameplay purposes, but still.

Well we don't know how advanced Andromeda is. Nor do we know when any species in Andromeda acquired the ability to space travel. It is also possible that the themes that occurred in the milky way galaxy are unique to it self.

I can't wait to hear some codex entries. Is codex man coming back??

The reapers were only in the Milky Way Galaxy.

diaspora

The bigger question is why aren't all the races of Andromeda dead or messed up from Synthetics when we know the universe works in patterns and that machines will always surpass their creators. In the billions of years Andromeda has existed one of the races has bound to have fucked up like the Leviathan's did and created a machine mess.
Machines surpassing creators is meaningless, maybe they committed mass suicide. Maybe they left, maybe nobody achieved AI yet.

SaylorMan

You like that our teammates can't die? That sounds like a huge loss of the original identity already.

You're right I'd forgotten about that.. And I just posted about that too. I did say though Im hoping he's just lying, but yea that was disappointing. Even if they can't die would've preferred a "No comment"

So two worries :p

Machines surpassing creators is meaningless, maybe they committed mass suicide. Maybe they left, maybe nobody achieved AI yet.

It's not meaningless, I don't know why you'd even try to assert that.

Even if some existed and left, that's not grounds for others being created by another race, friendly or otherwise. And the mental gymnastics you'd have to undergo to say that no alien species has created A.I in a galaxy 9 billion years old would be.... yeah.

I'm curious as to how BioWare balances this topic.

DOWN

Banned

You're right I'd forgotten about that.. And I just posted about that too. I did say though Im hoping he's just lying, but yea that was disappointing. Even if they can't die would've preferred a "No comment"

So two worries :p
Remember that you can still have significant story characters that are sometimes squad mates but not permanent that may die and still be a big deal. Just because the permanent squad doesn't die in the first game doesn't mean there's nothing big like that.

Melchiah

I wonder how Bioware is going to justify Andromeda species being at a roughly equivalent development stage as the Milky Way races when they haven't suffered over a billion years of Reaper cullings. I get that it has to be this way for gameplay purposes, but still.

Good points. Seems like they wrote themselves into a corner with the trilogy.

DOWN

Banned
Uh we have no idea what helped or hurt the advancements of Andromeda species. They could be advanced but different by not having Mass Relays to help them travel.

diaspora

It's not meaningless, I don't know why you'd even try to assert that.

Even if some existed and left, that's not grounds for others being created by another race, friendly or otherwise. And the mental gymnastics you'd have to undergo to say that no alien species has created A.I in a galaxy 9 billion years old would be.... yeah.

I'm curious as to how BioWare balances this topic.

It's meaningless because the question of whether or not programmed intelligence has surpassed living intelligence doesn't necessarily need to carry any real significant actual consequences for existing civilizations. HER is a perfect example of this.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the whole "intelligent life inevitably creates AI which inevitably wipes them out" thing is the postulate of a lunatic AI; the Protheans beat down their AI rebellion, and the Geth were hardly hostile at all, with a few notable exceptions (that also got their asses beat). Between that and how Andromeda has an entirely different tech base, there's really no reason to think that it'd be a factor.

And on the differing levels of advancement thing, we know for a fact that there's a hyper-advanced precursor situation in Andromeda as well, so clearly they haven't had a smooth progress line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom