• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Did you stick to your first run for ME3?

I went back and did a perfect ME1-2 to prep for 3 and kinda regret it. Wrex survived ME1 in my first save but Thane (not a big deal) and Legion (BIG DEAL) died on my Suicide Mission.

I'm still kind of amazed that without reading any spoilers I managed to get everybody out of the Suicide Mission on my first try.

Well, Kelly and bunch of the crew got liquidated, but no squad members died.

DevilDog

This thread is giving me the feels.

I didn't play Mass Effect until ME2 had just launched.... then I played them back to back, it was probably the most magical ~60 hours of gaming I've had in my life, ever.

Nothing has ever suprassed that magic feeling of playing ME1 and 2. I couldn't believe how good these games were. How personal they felt and still feel.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm replaying ME1 on PC this week, and boy do that "mod"(more like file edit) that speed up the game by 10x with the press of a button helps on those tedious long walks, slow elevators and Mako rides. I think i'll save a few hours in the end lol.

Ralemont

not me
I'm still kind of amazed that without reading any spoilers I managed to get everybody out of the Suicide Mission on my first try.

Well, Kelly and bunch of the crew got liquidated, but no squad members died.

The Suicide Mission is weird because these days everyone is super convinced it's so easy to get everyone through, and it kinda is in retrospect, but I doubt many people playing ME2 for the first time really knew what they were doing, lol.

Thane died because I didn't know I had lost Jack's loyalty after siding with Miranda in the argument, and Legion died because I thought Samara would make a good B-squad leader...no idea why I thought that. Guess I got suckered in by her noble confident personality.

Dany

Banned
I'm replaying ME1 on PC this week, and boy do that "mod"(more like file edit) that speed up the game by 10x with the press of a button helps on those tedious long walks, slow elevators and Mako rides. I think i'll save a few hours in the end lol.

'm replaying ME1 on the xbox and i want to tear my eyes out. So bad haha, how did we tolerate this!?

Bisnic

'm replaying ME1 on the xbox and i want to tear my eyes out. So bad haha, how did we tolerate this!?

I don't know, to be honest, all they had to do was allowing Shepard to run out of combat and to put some speed booster on the Mako to solve these issues. At least they fixed both on the sequels, even if the Hammerhead was barely used in ME2.

Ghazi

I don't know, to be honest, all they had to do was allowing Shepard to run out of combat and to put some speed booster on the Mako to solve these issues. At least they fixed both on the sequels, even if the Hammerhead was barely used in ME2.

Yeah, I did the same (on the game speed), don't know how anyone can deal with it.

DevilDog

There is actually a mod that cuts elevator times by a lot.

Bisnic

There is actually a mod that cuts elevator times by a lot.

Who needs a mod when that "game speed" file edit I mentioned make the C-Sec to Normandy deck elevator go from 30-45 secs to 5 secs. :p I should put that game speed 10x in GIF form one day haha.

OrionX

I got into Mass Effect pretty late. I'd heard good things about it, but for the most part I'd always played jrpg's and I've never been a huge fan of shooters, mainly because I'm not usually that good at them, lol. I love sci-fi stuff though, and ironically, the massive backlash to ME3's ending convinced me that I had to see for myself what all the fuss was about. So I got the trilogy a couple of years ago on PS3, and took my time playing through each one. I loved the whole thing. The world-building, the atmosphere, the characters... It all clicked with me.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe my reaction to ME3's ending would've been different if I'd had to wait years between each installment, but it didn't bother me at all. I thought everything came together pretty well for the most part. Bioware's one of my favorite developers now, and I'm totally hyped for ME:A.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with the franchise. Now I know what it feels like to have to wait like the rest of you. :p

The Suicide Mission is weird because these days everyone is super convinced it's so easy to get everyone through, and it kinda is in retrospect, but I doubt many people playing ME2 for the first time really knew what they were doing, lol.

Thane died because I didn't know I had lost Jack's loyalty after siding with Miranda in the argument, and Legion died because I thought Samara would make a good B-squad leader...no idea why I thought that. Guess I got suckered in by her noble confident personality.

I was SUPER PISSED because the first time through, I only lost Mordin because I sent Zaeed back with the Normandy's crew and I didn't include him in my personal squad for the end boss; literally everybody else made it through. But because I had gotten sloppy with my saves, I couldn't undo it... and the next time I tried a full game playthrough, I didn't have the Paragon score to get both Jack and Miranda's loyalty, lol.

But anyway, other than saving Mordin, the rest is pretty straightforward. Tali or Legion in the vents (best tech people for the tech job), Miranda or Garrus leading the B team (experienced leaders), Jack or Samara as the biotic (because they're wildly OP biotics).

Garlador

Who needs a mod when that "game speed" file edit I mentioned make the C-Sec to Normandy deck elevator go from 30-45 secs to 5 secs. :p I should put that game speed 10x in GIF form one day haha.

I want to get into Mass Effect PC modding so badly. I have the games. I have the MEUITM mod. I have the controller mod.

... And the game just refuses to run for longer than a few seconds without stutters or crashes.

I may just do a fresh install (again), but trying to replay ME1 on Xbox One has revealed it's... dated.

My passionate stance the games (particularly ME1) need a remaster is only bolstered by replaying it on Xbox One. There is SO much potential there... and so many technical shortcomings that could easily be remedied with an update.

DevilDog

I want to get into Mass Effect PC modding so badly. I have the games. I have the MEUITM mod. I have the controller mod.

... And the game just refuses to run for longer than a few seconds without stutters or crashes.

I may just do a fresh install (again), but trying to replay ME1 on Xbox One has revealed it's... dated.

My passionate stance the games (particularly ME1) need a remaster is only bolstered by replaying it on Xbox One. There is SO much potential there... and so many technical shortcomings that could easily be remedied with an update.

MEUITM has been known to crash the game a lot if you haven't installed it correctly. You have to apply large awareness patch etc...

I started with Mass Effect 1 back in spring 2009 when I first bought the Xbox 360. It came in a bundle with Halo 3 and Forza 2. Had no idea what it was but I watched my sister play it first and when she got to the Citadel my mind was just blown. My favourite game of the series for everything except gameplay (lol).

Garlador

MEUITM has been known to crash the game a lot if you haven't installed it correctly. You have to apply large awareness patch etc...

I have. Multiple times. I've gone over the suggestions on the patch page over and over and over. Still getting issues.

Lost my temper with it last time I sunk so many hours into trying to get it to run.

Big Nikus

There's a box you absolutely have to check when applying the LAA thing, otherwise the game will constently crash (I know because I didn't check that box last time and had to do it all again).

DevilDog

I have. Multiple times. I've gone over the suggestions on the patch page over and over and over. Still getting issues.

Lost my temper with it last time I sunk so many hours into trying to get it to run.

That sucks, this game looks noticeably better with it. Dynamic shadows help the picture a lot too.

Patryn

Let me just say, as I find myself being possibly pulled into another trilogy run which means crafting a new face, the opening of ME2 prior to you being able to actually make your face is getting really old.

I should note that nowadays I first create a face in ME3, then go back to ME2 and then ME1 tweaking it for each game, and then moving back through each game to make sure the final product looks good if I carry it through without making changes.

It should be noted that despite this process I have yet to make it to even ME2 without feeling compelled to make changes.

Garlador

That sucks, this game looks noticeably better with it. Dynamic shadows help the picture a lot too.

I have it SEMI-working. And yeah, it looks great... for the 10 seconds before it locks up or the framerate nosedives (I don't have a bad rig either).

I should stop complaining to you guys and just figure it out, but it's such a frustrating tease. Seeing it look so good... and then become unplayable. It's like chasing after a carrot always beyond my reach.

Big Nikus

I have it SEMI-working. And yeah, it looks great... for the 10 seconds before it locks up or the framerate nosedives (I don't have a bad rig either).

I should stop complaining to you guys and just figure it out, but it's such a frustrating tease. Seeing it look so good... and then become unplayable. It's like chasing after a carrot always beyond my reach.

As I said, did you make sure you checked the box on the second step here ? >
WhcQUFL.jpg

I think it's the most common issue the mod can have. Doing this with a clean install could help. Anyway, if the problem lies elsewhere, I hope you can sort it out.

Really digging the design of the Tempest. And of course, the seamless transitions sound amazing. Despite the slowness of ME1's elevators, I kind of loved the extra bit of immersion they brought.

I'm kind of weirdly pumped about stairs being back, tbh. It's a shame the SR1's second floor was so barren.

I'm still indifferent to the Tempest design, mostly because of those dumb pointy fins on the sides. Like spoilers I get that there's an aerodynamic element to it, I just think that the Normandy and a lot of other iconic space ship designs display minimalism is better.

Big Nikus

I'm still indifferent to the Tempest design, mostly because of those dumb pointy fins on the sides. Like spoilers I get that there's an aerodynamic element to it, I just think that the Normandy and a lot of other iconic space ship designs display minimalism is better.

Same. I'm not sold on Andromeda's design so far, and I don't really dig the Tempest.

Really digging the design of the Tempest. And of course, the seamless transitions sound amazing. Despite the slowness of ME1's elevators, I kind of loved the extra bit of immersion they brought.

Yeah we way be a minority but I don't really mind the long elevators. It's fairly easy to avoid them with the Rapid Transit, so during a whole playthrough I don't use the elevators much. And I like waiting like a moron in the elevator listening to the dedicated track (and there's usually some good banter).
The thing that I really couldn't stand on repeated playthroughs were the normal loading screens. Even worse in ME2 and 3. So now that I play on PC with the games installed on my SSD, it's heaven. The loading screens are there for one or two seconds top.

Sou Da

Yeah the articles are cool and all but good god this marketing so far is awful.

GI has no clearance to use new media for their articles?

SaylorMan

Yeah the articles are cool and all but good god this marketing so far is awful.

GI has no clearance to use new media for their articles?

It's really bizarre... I feel like I know too much while at the same time feeling like I haven't got enough. Cinematic trailer, decent gameplay showing, launch trailer, few screenshots then launch the game. Thats what I want.

What we got was blue balls for the passed 2 years, now they're just dumping info that I dont NEED to know to get hyped. Salarian pilot... Cool. Buut after 2 years of people drawing on tablets it's a bit underwhelming, whilst also being something which would be cooler to just find out playing the game.

DevilDog

Read what Biggie Nikus posted, It's the most common mistake to make.

Garlador

Read what Biggie Nikus posted, It's the most common mistake to make.

I've done the Large Awareness Patch multiple times, just to make sure it's working. Load the .exe, click the box, etc. I think I'm going to just try a fresh install again, but I'll keep you guys posted.

It's as close to a "remaster" as I fear we'll get for awhile, and I'd like to get the game running at a truly impressive level.

On a completely different topic, having listened to the Faunts music over and over again lately, do you think we'll get something from them for this game's credits too, or do you think we'll get something else entirely? Anyone have any good "Faunts"-style recommendations?

Dany

Banned
So I signed up to the beta program for ME:A. I presume we have no clue whether it's single player nor multiplayer OR when it's to be released... :

DOWN

Banned
So I signed up to the beta program for ME:A. I presume we have no clue whether it's single player nor multiplayer OR when it's to be released... :
My guess is multiplayer as it asks more questions about that than anything else

Lt-47

It's for Multiplayer no doubt, but aside from that I don't think we have any other info yet.
We'll probably have more info pretty soon if they stick to the march realase date

Everyone's waiting for the gameplay reveal on the 1st and I'm sitting over here waiting for the the concerts on the 9th and 11th that'll play the theme song for Andromeda for the first time. Like the first three games, the soundtrack better be defining and memorable.

Yeul

Everyone's waiting for the gameplay reveal on the 1st and I'm sitting over here waiting for the the concerts on the 9th and 11th that'll play the theme song for Andromeda for the first time. Like the first three games, the soundtrack better be defining and memorable.

I'm so excited for the soundtrack, considering how good DA:I's soundtrack was.

Sai

Is Sam Hulick on board for Andromeda as well? Have their been any announcements or rumors about Andromeda's composer?

Garlador

am I the only who feels like I'd be more excited for a remaster of these games rather than Andromeda...

:(

I'm on board for both.

I'm still going to be shouting voraciously for a remaster as long as I can.

I can be excited for Andromeda and going into a new game with a fresh start, while also treasuring the original trilogy and wanting it to get a proper re-release with all the bells and whistles and DLC (for the first time ever).

I'll keep bugging EA until either I die or Peter Moore gets tired of my lemon-scented letters.

Is Sam Hulick on board for Andromeda as well? Have their been any announcements or rumors about Andromeda's composer?

They've been frustratingly quiet and elusive on the topic. I get that they probably want it to be a special announcement with a developer diary-like video but I'd feel so much better if we knew now.

The only thing I'm seriously worried about is the hair selection. Both default Ryder look good but I hope they don't neglect afro-textured hairstyles.

I'm on board for both.

I'm still going to be shouting voraciously for a remaster as long as I can.

I can be excited for Andromeda and going into a new game with a fresh start, while also treasuring the original trilogy and wanting it to get a proper re-release with all the bells and whistles and DLC (for the first time ever).

I'll keep bugging EA until either I die or Peter Moore gets tired of my lemon-scented letters.
I deadass feel like I've been losing interest for Me4 as time's gone on...but my love for Me2 hasn't ceased. Can't play the damn thing anymore unless they remaster it though.

And yeah, I've seen you pushing hard for a remaster. Keep up the good work.

Garlador

They've been frustratingly quiet and elusive on the topic. I get that they probably want it to be a special announcement with a developer diary-like video but I'd feel so much better if we knew now.

I'm trying to remember the media boost that ME2 had... it was insane.

Incredible trailers. All those Blur Studios trailers. The "meet the cast" videos that just kept coming and coming. All the behind the scenes stuff.

They would announce someone and get us excited for them, then have a video dedicated to a voice actor, or the composers, or the designers, and going into extensive detail of the mechanics and set-up for the game.

It felt like the best marketing breadcrumb trail for a game possibly last gen. Never enough to fully spoil the experience, but plenty enough and frequently enough to satisfy and whet our appetites. It was meaty stuff, but never fully filling.

It's been two years, multiple E3s, and a recent N7 Day, and it's still nowhere near what ME2 was doing... but I'm not sure if that's because ME2 crammed it all in towards the end (I don't think that's the case) or whether they were just better at dishing out worthwhile content.

Well, optimistically anything will probably be better than the limited 8 choices across the trilogy.

Yeah, you're right. I actually shouldn't be worried lol all I need is a decent caesar haircut for my broRyder or maybe a frohawk. Hope the sister Ryder has more options.

And I hope the character creation doesn't screw with me like DA:I. Made some Inquisitors that looked good in the creator but ended up looking odd in game.

Patryn

one thing is (I think almost) for sure they'll keep uncharted worlds

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they ditched it. They've already said they're ditching Saren as the death music.

It's a new beginning. I suspect they'll want to make everything new, and I'm curious to see what they come up with.

The only thing that worries me is that I hope they go back to a more 80s electronic sound. Being able to perform the main theme at a concert worries me in that regard.

am I the only who feels like I'd be more excited for a remaster of these games rather than Andromeda...

:(

I'd prefer a new game over re-playing the original trilogy with higher resolution for the umpteenth time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a proper re-master, but not in place of Andromeda.

I'm on PC so I may be a bit biased, since I can still play the trilogy(with mods that improve the visuals) with minimal effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom