• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I fully expect new themes across the board with only rare use of familiar musical cues in order to firmly establish Andromeda as a new adventure.

Yeul

I would want new themes, personally. I want to see their take on a new galaxy - what that sounds like to them. I could see them putting small easter eggs such as this (where you can hear Vigil playing very very softly in the background), but I'm sure they want to make Andromeda its own thing. At the same time, if they want to play up an emotional effect, the feeling of transplants in a new galaxy unknown to them, they can (like EatChildren said), use familiar motifs from the trilogy in order to give a sense of homesickness.

Honestly, music's never been that important to me in games outside of a few standouts like the OG Halo theme. That said, I would welcome some new music; might as well make the game feel like a whole new thing.

Big Nikus

Is Sam Hulick on board for Andromeda as well? Have their been any announcements or rumors about Andromeda's composer?

In december we're gonna have the name of the composer, then 20 seconds of music, and an info dump about how the music will sound in the game.

j/k, I hope Hulick is on board.

goishen

The only music that I didn't like was the music in the cabin of the third game. Had a very disco feel to it. Whereas in the second game, it had much more a techno feel.

I would want new themes, personally. I want to see their take on a new galaxy - what that sounds like to them. I could see them putting small easter eggs such as this (where you can hear Vigil playing very very softly in the background), but I'm sure they want to make Andromeda its own thing. At the same time, if they want to play up an emotional effect, the feeling of transplants in a new galaxy unknown to them, they can (like EatChildren said), use familiar motifs from the trilogy in order to give a sense of homesickness.
Oh shit, I never realised Vigil is playing in the background there. Mind blown.
The only music that I didn't like was the music in the cabin of the third game. Had a very disco feel to it. Whereas in the second game, it had much more a techno feel.
The ME2 cabin music was all tracks from the first game. It's a shame they didn't do ME2 tracks for the cabin in ME3.

Ridesh

Banned
The male Ryder voice actor now confirmed that Cora is the name of the human female companion, lol dude's on fire

Cx2TmoxUsAAesQo

https://twitter.com/taylorson/status/800958788974981120

Dat...

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they ditched it. They've already said they're ditching Saren as the death music.

It's a new beginning. I suspect they'll want to make everything new, and I'm curious to see what they come up with.

The only thing that worries me is that I hope they go back to a more 80s electronic sound. Being able to perform the main theme at a concert worries me in that regard.
i'd be cool with them leaving it out but i can see them bringing it back. at the end of the old trailers they teased an old mass effect theme, which its proper name escapes me, for just a few seconds.
I'd prefer a new game over re-playing the original trilogy with higher resolution for the umpteenth time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a proper re-master, but not in place of Andromeda.

I'm on PC so I may be a bit biased, since I can still play the trilogy(with mods that improve the visuals) with minimal effort.
yah it's that bias bruh..unfortunately i ain't in that master race and may never be..

hell if i had an xbone i may've even been cool with just having the BC, but for playstation owners there really is no other way for the full trilogy other than a remaster.

but, as i've always said, the ME series in general is probably recognized mostly as an xbox franchise anyway

So Cora, Drack, Liam, and weird asari that refuses to use her real name.

I'm curious what direction they'll go with the remaining companions. A synthetic squadmate and a female turian? Supposedly one or two Andromeda native species companions as well.

Toms been leaking a lot of stuff lol, I'm sure BioWare marketing isn't pleased.

SoSolaris

Neo Member
So Cora, Drack, Liam, and weird asari that refuses to use her real name.

I'm curious what direction they'll go with the remaining companions. A synthetic squadmate and a female turian? Supposedly one or two Andromeda native species companions as well.

Toms been leaking a lot of stuff lol, I'm sure BioWare marketing isn't pleased.

Yeah, his enthusiasm is contagious, but I hope he doesn't get into too much trouble.

Cranster

Banned
am I the only who feels like I'd be more excited for a remaster of these games rather than Andromeda...

:(
Partly, I still would like to see a remaster of the original trilogy. Not only because ME1 would benefit from it and they could fix some of the import glitches in ME2, but it would be a great opportunity to add a 5th additional ending to ME3 where
instead of picking one of the existing options you could win against the Reapers without using the crucible if your military readiness is high enough.
That way Bioware is no longer painted in a corner if they want to make future Mass Effect games in the Milky Way galaxy that take place after the Reaper war.

DevilDog

one thing is (I think almost) for sure they'll keep uncharted worlds
I think in the 101 questions they said they won't.

Honestly, music's never been that important to me in games outside of a few standouts like the OG Halo theme. That said, I would welcome some new music; might as well make the game feel like a whole new thing.

I may have listened some of the mass effect tracks more than 200 times. Music is essential and a vital part of these games. Even if you don't think they are important they work well with your subconscious. I've never heard anyone put music volume to 0% because they didn't like the score.

Patryn

Partly, I still would like to see a remaster of the original trilogy. Not only because ME1 would benefit from it and they could fix some of the import glitches in ME2, but it would be a great opportunity to add a 5th additional ending to ME3 where
instead of picking one of the existing options you could win against the Reapers without using the crucible if your military readiness is high enough.
That way Bioware is no longer painted in a corner if they want to make future Mass Effect games in the Milky Way galaxy that take place after the Reaper war.

They will never make that ending. You just have to learn to accept that.

Cranster

Banned
They will never make that ending. You just have to learn to accept that.
Considering how the ending affected me on top of issues I was going through at the time I refuse to forgive or forget what Bioware did with that ending. It still has me on the fence of ME: Andromeda as I don't really trust Bioware anymore.

I may have listened some of the mass effect tracks more than 200 times. Music is essential and a vital part of these games. Even if you don't think they are important they work well with your subconscious. I've never heard anyone put music volume to 0% because they didn't like the score.

I don't turn it off, it just doesn't really register with me :p

Over like 6 odd playthroughs, I must have heard each theme at least 200 times, but if you asked me to hum any of 'em I might get a couple bars in and that's it. Just qualifying that I don't have any particular attachment to the music.

I do believe so, if true. Miranda ALMOST was blonde.

I think they said that blondes had almost been genetically eliminated since blonde is a recessive gene by the game's time. They're the unicorns of the galaxy (so Conrad was special after all!).

Conrad gets his out of a bottle, I think we all know that.

Garlador

Considering how the ending affected me on top of issues I was going through at the time I refuse to forgive or forget what Bioware did with that ending. It still has me on the fence of ME: Andromeda as I don't really trust Bioware anymore.

I remember. I was there. I was crushed. It soured my disposition for what felt like months and I still rail against the original ending passionately.

... But I've come to accept the Extended Cut as the massive improvement it was that - while not perfect by any means - righted many, MANY of the major wrongs. It may not be entirely logical, but it is emotionally and thematically satisfying now and shifts the ending's focus away from the larger, abstract concepts and puts it back on the teammates and allies that mattered most and gave them the closure we needed.

That still doesn't excuse a lot of mistakes (the entire Priority: Earth mission is actually my least favorite mission in the whole trilogy - ugly, loud, dark, shallow, unoriginal), and I still think there are opportunities to improve that experience (I also think removing the Illusive Man boss fight was the wrong decision), but at least now I do feel the game properly "ends" instead of just "lots of speculation from everyone".

You can disagree about the Crucible, but Bioware DID add that "fourth ending" to the game. You can refuse all three choices and try and just muscle your way through... and lose. The next cycle finds your warning and finishes it. You're told over and over again you can't win this fight conventionally. There's just no way. The entire Turian military was wrecked days in. The Asari homeworld is wasted. The human forces are barely holding on. The game was never about rallying STRENGTH to fight the reapers head-on... it was about rallying EVERYONE to work towards the Crucible - those capable of fighting back or not had their place there. It was a unifying, galactic Hail Mary that was only possible because billions of different species put their differences aside not to destroy or fight but to create and work in tandem towards salvation for all beings.

I would have liked a straight-up fight, but Bioware didn't write that out and it's ingrained fully in the narrative from the first cutscene of the game. You can't out-muscle or outfight the Reapers. The only way to destroy them was from within, with the Crucible, and that was only possible by unifying as many species as you thought you could to get you there.

It's frustrating, but I can take away enough satisfaction that standing there and making those choices to save the galaxy in whatever way I thought best was only possible by the sacrifices and efforts of all those around me. They made it happen. They built it. They got me here. And I owe it to them to finish it.

That's how I've come to see it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Even though I don't think they will reuse too much of the original trilogy music, I'm expecting to hear Vigil theme a few times, and I'm seriously hoping that, while different, the new galaxy map music will have some notes that is reminiscent of the original one, like the first few secs of it.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I remember. I was there. I was crushed. It soured my disposition for what felt like months and I still rail against the original ending passionately.

... But I've come to accept the Extended Cut as the massive improvement it was that - while not perfect by any means - righted many, MANY of the major wrongs. It may not be entirely logical, but it is emotionally and thematically satisfying now and shifts the ending's focus away from the larger, abstract concepts and puts it back on the teammates and allies that mattered most and gave them the closure we needed.

That still doesn't excuse a lot of mistakes (the entire Priority: Earth mission is actually my least favorite mission in the whole trilogy - ugly, loud, dark, shallow, unoriginal), and I still think there are opportunities to improve that experience (I also think removing the Illusive Man boss fight was the wrong decision), but at least now I do feel the game properly "ends" instead of just "lots of speculation from everyone".

You can disagree about the Crucible, but Bioware DID add that "fourth ending" to the game. You can refuse all three choices and try and just muscle your way through... and lose. The next cycle finds your warning and finishes it. You're told over and over again you can't win this fight conventionally. There's just no way. The entire Turian military was wrecked days in. The Asari homeworld is wasted. The human forces are barely holding on. The game was never about rallying STRENGTH to fight the reapers head-on... it was about rallying EVERYONE to work towards the Crucible - those capable of fighting back or not had their place there. It was a unifying, galactic Hail Mary that was only possible because billions of different species put their differences aside not to destroy or fight but to create and work in tandem towards salvation for all beings.

I would have liked a straight-up fight, but Bioware didn't write that out and it's ingrained fully in the narrative from the first cutscene of the game. You can't out-muscle or outfight the Reapers. The only way to destroy them was from within, with the Crucible, and that was only possible by unifying as many species as you thought you could to get you there.

It's frustrating, but I can take away enough satisfaction that standing there and making those choices to save the galaxy in whatever way I thought best was only possible by the sacrifices and efforts of all those around me. They made it happen. They built it. They got me here. And I owe it to them to finish it.

That's how I've come to see it.

Very well said and pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the endings now.

I'll add that I think if you have Leviathan, Citadel and EC in your playthrough, it makes for a MUCH more satisfying ME3 experience overall: I would go so far as to say those DLC are mandatory to get the 'real' story beats behind ME3 and the trilogy finale overall.

Ralemont

not me
I'm going to take a moment to defend the current ending re: the Crucible, because I think it's much better in concept than a conventional victory. Firstly, the main appeal of a conventional victory is the idea that the galaxy united to overcome the threat. Secondly, the appeal is simply that you don't have to deal with the bullshit consequences arbitrarily attached to Destroy. The second I agree with and don't defend, but the first is off-base, I think. People don't seem to realize that the idea of unifying the galaxy to overcome the Reapers already exists in the game through the final battle that allows you to open the Citadel and dock the Crucible. The plan doesn't work at all if the galaxy doesn't have the military strength to punch a hole in Reaper defenses and assault the beam. So the current "dock the Crucible" goal already works on the unification theme front. Another reason why I love the idea of the Crucible is that it represents more than just the galaxy's races coming together, it represents the galaxy's races across all cycles coming together to defeat the Reapers. The idea that these previous cycles whose voices had all been silenced, like Javik as the avatar of Prothean revenge, lingered and outlasted the harvest to contribute something to the Crucible design and eventually support our cycle's victory is a beautiful sentiment and I love how it thematically bookends the trilogy's thoughts on cycles. History is shown through the Crucible to be progressive rather than cyclical, and that's a very positive message.

Unfortunately the Crucible gets bogged down by BioWare's need to give us a "tough" ending choice so we get these weird endings with strange workings (how does one target a "synthetic" exactly when they function so differently from EDI to geth). The devil was in the details. But much like people work out this imaginary scenario where a conventional victory has good narrative execution in the game, I'd much prefer a rework of the Crucible to have better narrative execution.

DevilDog

I think the story in Mass Effect 3 would have been even better if the main story in Mass Effect 2 wasn't so goddamned pointless and badly written. 3 had to carry the weight of doing what 2 should have done, plus it's own story.
The ending however, didn't bother me so much after 2's story. The quality took a nosedive so expectations were as low as they could be when 3 came out.

Like if we could sort of start building the crucible since 2, collecting intel, technology and what not, without us really knowing what it will do.

Arrival was nice but ultimately still filler in the grand scheme of things.

The lesson here should be as follows; when a studio makes a trilogy like ME did, they should plan things out, just a bit.

Garlador

I think the story in Mass Effect 3 would have been even better if the main story in Mass Effect 2 wasn't so goddamned pointless and badly written. 3 had to carry the weight of doing what 2 should have done, plus it's own story.
The ending however, didn't bother me so much after 2's story. The quality took a nosedive so expectations were as low as they could be when 3 came out.

Like if we could sort of start building the crucible since 2, collecting intel, technology and what not, without us really knowing what it will do.

Arrival was nice but ultimately still filler in the grand scheme of things.

The lesson here should be as follows; when a studio makes a trilogy like ME did, they should plan things out, just a bit.

I enjoy all of them for their own merits, but there is a very bizarre narrative curve to the trilogy. Even Shepard's death and resurrection- which should be a life-defining and galaxy-shaking scenario - is pretty much brushed aside by and large for the majority of the series. Like, you'd think someone as religious as Ashley - who knew he had actually died and was there when it happened - would ask him if he saw heaven or what God was like, but she just struts up to him in ME2 and gets hissy that he's working with Cerberus.

ME2's main "plot" with the Collectors is flimsy, but it gets such a pass because it excels in character-building and character relationships, and that's where ME3 got criticized for swinging in the opposite direction. By the end of ME3, so many fans just didn't care about "taking back Earth"... they wanted closure with their squadmates and love interests. That's where their emotional energy was invested, not the ruins of future London.

But, yes, Liara just finding this Prothean super-weapon on Mars at EXACTLY the right time was a bit too on the nose. Seeding more hints of it into all three games would have improved it immensely.

I don't know if we'll ever get a remaster (never gonna stop asking, EA), and even if we did, I don't know if they'd put anymore time than the inhuman amount they already poured into it, but if they did wish to add news broadcasts hinting towards the Crucible (or, you know, the ANDROMEDA project...) I wouldn't be opposed.

Personally, I really don't mind all the "humanity, fuck yeah!" stuff. As a human, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Garlador

The worst part of the Mass Effect trilogy is anything having to do with Earth or with humanity's greatness.
Personally, I really don't mind all the "humanity, fuck yeah!" stuff. As a human, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

While I don't hate it as much as some... I felt that the huge emphasis on humanity and the weird belief that as humans we'd innate care about Earth was a bit misguided.

So many of us played Mass Effect to ESCAPE Earth. We live here already and our dreams aren't here; they're in the stars. We were far more excited to see the homeworlds of Turians and Asari, to set foot on Tuchanka and Rannoch, than we were to revisit Earth and see how London was doing. Even then, by the time we did so, it was just nondescript rubble.

The themes of all three games was not how great humanity is - because we actually kind of suck overall - but that integrating and working with those different than us (a metaphor for our own advances as a human society), we become smarter, stronger, and better. To look beyond prejudice, to see other people - and species - as EQUAL to our own. To value life, no matter what form it takes and not matter its origin. That theme is beaten over our heads for three games, and all three games take weird pivots into human exceptionalism.

Javik sums up our sole "strength" is are ability to work with others and avoid monolithic ideas. We're the most individualistic of the species. We're not the smarts, most physical capable, most powerful, most resourceful, most experienced, most level-headed... we just tolerate each other better than other species, but even that trait isn't unique to humans (as we clearly see other cross-species relationships going on in the background).

I get that making the player the most important part of the equation makes players feel good, but humanity really wasn't that great in the Mass Effect games. Hell, the human-supremacy group Cerberus is arguably the second greatest threat to civilization outside of the Reapers and the ones that come closest to dooming the whole galaxy.

I really hope for Andromeda, human beings get taken down a peg or so. Put us in perspective. Make us less entitled and privileged. Because I think it's about time we recognized we're not so self-important after all and that in this narrative we matter just as much as Asari, Salarian, and hopefully the Kett as well.

DevilDog

The theme of the games is that everyone sucks. Turians suck, asari suck, humans suck.

But we all suck, together. And that is what we must always remember. :p
Like, you'd think someone as religious as Ashley - who knew he had actually died and was there when it happened - would ask him if he saw heaven or what God was like, but she just struts up to him in ME2 and gets hissy that he's working with Cerberus.
And she doesn't care that we chose to save her, romance her, risk our lives for the people and that the impending doom of the universe is closing by, not when we're working with RETCONED TERRORISTS! How did this even leave the writting room I don't understand... This isn't flimsy, this is downright embarassing.

From what I remember though, Ashley had some dialogue about Shepard's death that got cut out. I think it was in ME3. http://i.imgur.com/Q9DmN.jpg Don't know how legit this is.

It's kind of makes me smile, that Bioware wants to run over 2.537 million light years away from the corner they wrote themselves into.

Hopefully andromeda is good and the plot is good as well, but who am I kidding, when they know that ME2 got a "pass" for it.

I know we can count on good characters and some great gameplay though. We should team up for multiplayer sometime.

Garlador

I know we can count on good characters and some great gameplay though. We should team up for multiplayer sometime.

I do expect the game to get characters right.

I HOPE the story satisfies too, though. Dragon Age: Inquisition was another game where I like the characters and the plot is just tripe. "The characters deserve a better game," I said. I hope Andromeda avoids that.

And yeah, I've been hankering from some ME3 multiplayer lately. Might have to renew my Xbox Live subscription, perhaps.

Ralemont

not me
New Game Informer article. Reiterates some of the stuff we already know (I think) in terms of the optional content.

Not to jump the gun here or anything, but if they wanted to alleviate concerns about the quality of side content, not including anything about actual side quests with like stories and NPCs in this article was probably a bad idea. Loyalty missions are fine, but there better be quests you can find around at least some of the planets.

Maybe that's its own future article, though, idk.

It kinda feels like GI didn't really get much access to the game, tbh. All we've heard about is the one hands-on, and most of the articles we've gotten have stemmed directly from that. Everything else reads like a bullet point off of a presentation.

Could be that they really are falling behind and don't have much to show, but I'd prefer to stay optimistic and say that it's because they're trying to reduce the number of spoilers out in the wild.

Patryn

Not to jump the gun here or anything, but if they wanted to alleviate concerns about the quality of side content, not including anything about actual side quests with like stories and NPCs in this article was probably a bad idea. Loyalty missions are fine, but there better be quests you can find around at least some of the planets.

Maybe that's its own future article, though, idk.

Or it's just Bioware continuing its terrible marketing of the title.

I mean, seriously: Bioware, I love you. I really, really love you. You made most of my favorite games. Andromeda is easily the game I'm most looking forward to, and I haven't been looking this forward to a title since Inquisition.

But you're really fucking up this marketing. I've seen far too many people say that the way they've been dripping out information has only turned them off of the game rather than excite them.

Ralemont

not me
It kinda feels like GI didn't really get much access to the game, tbh. All we've heard about is the one hands-on, and most of the articles we've gotten have stemmed directly from that. Everything else reads like a bullet point off of a presentation.

Could be that they really are falling behind and don't have much to show, but I'd prefer to stay optimistic and say that it's because they're trying to reduce the number of spoilers out in the wild.

I hear you but my response would be that BioWare should be focusing on marketing the meaty aspects of the side content. If the information they are giving GI includes "scanning for crafting parts" as one of six exciting things to do on Andromeda's planets then what the fuck?

Still gives off Inquisition in Space vibes.

The only similar vibes I'm getting here is "there's an open world, and there are things to do". Which... is how you do an open world. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say, so we'll have to wait and see how they actually execute on the optional content.

Garlador

The only similar vibes I'm getting here is "there's an open world, and there are things to do". Which... is how you do an open world. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say, so we'll have to wait and see how they actually execute on the optional content.

I think that's the problem, though. They're shared nothing particularly meaty or concrete.

Now, I'm adverse to spoilers too, but Dragon Age: Inquisition's biggest problem was just how bland and empty its sidequests were. They were, well, what GI is current describing. Resource gathering. Scanning. Traversing long and empty stretches of terrain to get to something interesting.

Something with some ENERGY to it, some personality, something memorable... that's all I think people are looking for, even in an open-world game. Not a checklist, but something unique. Something that's not just filler but something substantial, if optional. And it may be there, but it's not being discussed. It's a concern because I sunk over 180 hours in Inquisition hoping it would turn things around but it was composed nearly exclusively of those type of quests, and it winning so many GOTY awards and receiving such critical praise gives me pause that they'll learn the right lessons. I hope I'm wrong.

Concerning marketing... we're feeling underwhelmed. I'm going to bring up ME2 again and compare. Revisit these trailers and tell me you don't get goosebumps or feel hyped or feel informed by watching them. Look at how they balance story with cutscenes, character reveals with world building, tone and atmosphere with action and teases...

Mass Effect 2 E3 Trailer
Mass Effect 2 Launch Trailer
Cinematic Trailer
Mass Effect 2 Celebrity Voices
The Science of Mass Effect 2
Jack Narrative
Miranda Narrative
Thane Narrative
Grunt Narrative
Mass Effect 2 Behind the Scenes Tease

Just look at how focused they are at getting the message of the game across. Weapons, physics, narrative, action, interactivity, ships, pacing, tone, comparing it to prior games... It's all out there early and clearly.

You can clearly see a significant difference in how they present that game versus Andromeda.

Cranster

Banned
Very well said and pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the endings now.

I'll add that I think if you have Leviathan, Citadel and EC in your playthrough, it makes for a MUCH more satisfying ME3 experience overall: I would go so far as to say those DLC are mandatory to get the 'real' story beats behind ME3 and the trilogy finale overall.
That is still poor on Bioware's part. I dodn't mind the crucible aspect of the game, what I disliked is Bioware inttoducing a non-sensicle character in the last 5 minutes wirlth flawed circular logic. The starchilds excuse is easily debunked just by my characters actions alone. On top of that I should have the option to destroy the reapers without needing to sacrifice the Geth, EDI and myself.

The broken promises and massive plotholes nearly ruined videogames for me.

Garlador

That is still poor on Bioware's part. I dodn't mind the crucible aspect of the game, what I disliked is Bioware inttoducing a non-sensicle character in the last 5 minutes wirlth flawed circular logic. The starchilds excuse is easily debunked just by my characters actions alone. On top of that I should have the option to destroy the reapers without needing to sacrifice the Geth, EDI and myself.

Not that you're entirely wrong... but here's how I think of it now.

The Starkid isn't really a "new" character as he's the AI created by the Leviathans that initially rebelled and his presence and will were in place directly and indirectly in all three games, through the Reapers and Collectors. He is Sovereign, and Harbinger, and every Husk and Cannibal and Harvester... extensions of its will. He's not a singular character so much as he is just a glorified AI networked to all the other Reapers and his "form" of a kid is only assumed to mess with/calm Shepard. It could've taken the form of anything, and it chose the form of the kid to best connect to him.

Now, here's the thing though. His circular logic is absolutely flawed... by DESIGN. That's the problem with him. He's not human. The DLC with Leviathan affirms this; that the AI glitched. That its reasoning is inherently faulty and thus they could not reason with it themselves. They screwed up when creating it and thus logic that works with people fails with it because it inherently disbelieves that nature and organics can change, even if you reunite the Geth and Legion. Its conclusion is this alliance will not last, and it cannot be swayed.

It's not all-knowing. It's not perfect. It's a rotten AI that doomed its own creators and brought horror to the galaxy, based entirely on its own delusional circular-logic. YOU exist because it is itself incapable of breaking free of the cycle, thus giving you the weight to do so on its behalf. It's still constrained.

Now, I still hate the "space magic", and I still hate that "Destroy" robs you of the Geth and EDI (it really does make no sense, I won't argue, and mentally I sort of always put them right back in). But even if you accept that EDI and the Geth were physically destroyed, there's enough wiggle room there to argue that they still endure. For starters, the statement "everything that was destroyed can be rebuilt" by Hackett, and EDI was the heart of the Normandy and in charge of certain vital systems, thus the ship shouldn't function if she was entirely destroyed, while the Quarians mention that many Geth uploaded their consciousness into the Quarian suits themselves and it's possible the energy blast merely destroys their physical platforms and not their collective networks.

It's some mental gymnastics to be sure, and Bioware did screw up making the loss of all AI some arbitrary part of the "destroy Reapers" solution (basically forcing you to pick between your character or EDI and the Geth), but considering their very nature is so vastly different than the Reapers, and VIs are necessary for lifesupport systems of various ships and those endured just fine, I give myself enough mental leeway to allow for the possibility of their survival - regardless of Bioware's intent perhaps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The marketing for this game is dreadful. So incoherently fragmented and unfocused. The content is good as isolated snippets but it has no collective punch. Yet EA/BW are acting like it does and continuing the bizzaro dripfeed.

It's like they're saying it's important Andromeda is a fresh new adventure and accessible to both old and new fans, free of the trilogy baggage, but are riding on the coattails of the trilogy hype.

DevilDog

I dodn't mind the crucible aspect of the game, what I disliked is Bioware inttoducing a non-sensicle character in the last 5 minutes wirlth flawed circular logic.
The circular logic part is intentional. It is how it should be.

On top of that I should have the option to destroy the reapers without needing to sacrifice the Geth, EDI and myself.
No you don't. In mass effect 1 you didn't have the option of saving both Kaidan and Ashley, I wish the game devs gave us more choices that this, where both outcomes have negatives.

What were the broken promises? I never really followed any mass effect marketing.
I mean apart from the A B C thing.

In iterms of plotholes, mass effect 2 takes the cake, it literally has the worst plot of the series.

I love Inquisition but my biggest issue was the proportion of actual main story versus other content to do. For every hour of actual story content and cutscenes I was spending 8 hours messing around with loot and other tasks.

Meanwhile in Mass Effect 3 almost all 40-60 hours of the games content was direct story missions, story-like side missions, and dialogue/discovery. That's why I was hoping Andromeda would be more Linear like 1-3.

OrionX

I love Inquisition but my biggest issue was the proportion of actual main story versus other content to do. For every hour of actual story content and cutscenes I was spending 8 hours messing around with loot and other tasks.

Totally agree. I love it too but there's obviously an imbalance there and I would've liked the locations to feel more integrated into the story.

nah man if there's gonna be any 5th additional ending to Me3 it should be
adopting the indoctrination theory
good. I would like it if the soundtrack laid away from the OG trilogy shit.
Dude just get a PC to play it in 1440p or whatever you want.
look man it's not simple like that for everybody. first of all I don't have the space for a brolic PC and second I don't have the patience or discipline to learn about all the nooks and crannies of the PC gaming world.

Some people can, some people can't. I like the goddamn simplicity of owning a console. Every chance missed for an announcement for a ME remaster is a disappointment.

diaspora

nah man if there's gonna be any 5th additional ending to Me3 it should be
adopting the indoctrination theory

good. I would like it if the soundtrack laid away from the OG trilogy shit.
look man it's not simple like that for everybody. first of all I don't have the space for a brolic PC and second I don't have the patience or discipline to learn about all the nooks and crannies of the PC gaming world.

Some people can, some people can't. I like the goddamn simplicity of owning a console. Every chance missed for an announcement for a ME remaster is a disappointment.
Good news is that the entire trilogy is playable on a current gen console.

Garlador

Dude just get a PC to play it in 1440p or whatever you want.
Yes, but rebuying the trilogy again on PC is one of the most frustrating experiences, especially all the still-expensive DLC and possibly dealing with Bioware Points. Just the story DLC alone is still roughly a $80-90 investment.

Good news is that the entire trilogy is playable on a current gen console.
And it's dated on modern consoles too compared to what could be done. Replaying ME1 right now on Xbox One and it's a ROUGH game that, while improved from 360, is still a technical disaster of texture pop-in, bloated loading times, framerate issues, other performance flaws across the board.

Let's not pretend that the games could not benefit GREATLY from more polish, care, and optimization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom