• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals Swapdoodle, out today on the 3DS eShop

Elija2

The UI is very similar to Swapnote. You can even still attach screenshots, but only from certain games (basically any game that lets you take a screenshot in-game like Pokemon or Animal Crossing). It's also slightly more inconvenient to send notes to friends. You have to manually select which friends you want to send notes to as opposed to being able to send to everyone with one tap. You're also limited to the amount of notes you can view from people in your friends list by default. You have to manually set them as a Doodle Viewer to see all of their notes and to reply once to each of them. Then, if two people both have each other set as Doodle Viewers, they become Doodle Pals and no longer have any viewing/replying restrictions.

There are some improvements over Swapnote though. You can now use two colours at the same time, although one of the colours is always black and red is the only other free colour. They make you pay for the thick pen to "compensate" for it though. You can also add stickers of your Mii's face or of the icons to any of the games you've played on your 3DS. Lastly, you can now set secret pages that will be hidden until someone replies to your note.

Weirdly, there isn't an option to send notes over Streetpass. I guess because Swapnote already fills that purpose, but then why make this a separate app in the first place? To add the worthless Doodle Lessons and other microtransactions, I suppose. Speaking of microtransactions though, the Silver Glitter & Stationery Set seems to be free in North America whereas it apparently costs money in Europe. Maybe it's only free for a limited time?

Joqu

Are we gonna have a spreadsheet so we can all send each other messages? Cause I'm down for that.

Imma drop my FC cause I really wanna use Swapdoodle.
3566-1628-5922

I'll add ya, and anyone else for that matter, I dunno how much I'll bother with it unless I get enough people to join along tho

3308-4578-9928

Pokemaniac

She was the lead character/mascot of the program Swapnote when the 3DS originally launched. The program let people message (send and reply) others (single person or a group) on their friend list (and outside of that I think if they were apart of the original group the message was sent to) by attaching pictures I believe or drawings or hand written or typed notes. Really no restrictions on what you could send outside of no video and how much space you used up. You could change the backgrounds, borders, etc in the messages. They killed the service after a child predator was found using it to communicate with kids or a single kid. Not sure of the number.

Nikki as character sort of disappeared after it was shut down but showed up again in the Badge Arcade as one of the badges you could win. I think her appeal was similar to the appeal that Isabella has when it comes to Animal Crossing: New Leaf. That can be confusing as well as to why she's so popular.

The service was pretty popular and fun at the time so it returning even in a different form is exciting news. Parts of Miiverse (how you make post) are similar to what Swapnoted offered but it's more controlled and you can't directly message anyone. Nor can you fancy up the post the way you could in Swapnote.

Miiverse has PMs between friends. They're just one of the two features that's still inexplicably only available on Wii U.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if they'll update and include that rumoured Swapnote stage into the rumoured Switch port of Smash.

I always assumed Pictochat 2 was meant to be that, since the drawings on that stage have two layers, which was true for Swapnote but not Pictochat and they just reskinned it after Swapnote was basically killed off.

BooJoh

Since there's a download code option in the shop area, I'm guessing we can maybe expect some MyNintendo rewards for Swapdoodle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You have to pay for the thicker pen!? C'mon Nintendo, that should be a basic feature.

Also, it's missing Swapnotes best feature: attaching audioclips (or I just haven't unlocked that feature yet)

Elija2

Since there's a download code option in the shop area, I'm guessing we can maybe expect some MyNintendo rewards for Swapdoodle.

Well, that would give me something to spend my coins on.

But then again, Badge Arcade has the same thing and we've yet to get any MyNintendo rewards for it.

You have to pay for the thicker pen!? C'mon Nintendo, that should be a basic feature.

Also, it's missing Swapnotes best feature: attaching audioclips (or I just haven't unlocked that feature yet)

No mention of audio clips in the manual, so I'm guessing it's not a feature. It makes sense since they're trying to keep this as restricted as possible. I'm just glad we can still attach (some) screenshots.

Semajer

I always assumed Pictochat 2 was meant to be that, since the drawings on that stage have two layers, which was true for Swapnote but not Pictochat and they just reskinned it after Swapnote was basically killed off.

That's what I'm referring to. Dunno if it's true but it makes sense.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You're also limited to the amount of notes you can view from people in your friends list by default. You have to manually set them as a Doodle Viewer to see all of their notes and to reply once to each of them. Then, if two people both have each other set as Doodle Viewers, they become Doodle Pals and no longer have any viewing/replying restrictions.

Wait, how does this work? I read the manual/info and thought this meant that Doodle Viewers automatically had access to ALL Doodles written by the other. I wasn't interested in that...

Are Doodle Viewers more like a "group"? Once you are confirmed, any messages you write to "Doodle Viewers" (?) appear to all?

What is the difference between sending a Note to a friend, and having a Doodle Viewer?

I'm not sure how this works now. If I hit the "Update Spotpass" button it says I have two notes waiting to be sent. Shouldn't that send them?

Swapnote was my favorite thing. I'm glad we have something similar again..... Please add me!

Incite: 2621 - 2608 - 3510

Just send a pm with your code if you add me or quote me 🙂

Joqu

Anyone still looking for people to add? I'd really like to get this going with some folks

My fc is 3308-4578-9928

I'm willing to make an OT too but it's gonna need to wait a few days, so someone else should go ahead and make one if they're feeling up to it

Wait, how does this work? I read the manual/info and thought this meant that Doodle Viewers automatically had access to ALL Doodles written by the other. I wasn't interested in that...

Are Doodle Viewers more like a "group"? Once you are confirmed, any messages you write to "Doodle Viewers" (?) appear to all?

What is the difference between sending a Note to a friend, and having a Doodle Viewer?

No Doodle viewers only have access to notes you have willingly sent to that party. Not all the notes you have ever sent

Basically in order for someone to see what you sent, you have to tell the app you are okay with adding doodle viewer status to them. Otherwise the note is locked. A doodle viewer is marked with a silver feather

Once you and the other party have added each other as viewers and replied to each others notes after - this then upgrades you to "Doodle Pals" and the silver feather badge upgrades to a golden butterfly.

Once you have "Doodle Pals" this does unlock a "Send to all" option for the people who have the Butterfly Badge. I guess to stop you spamming people who haven't agreed to take your notes

PS: adding everyone here who left a friend code so heres mine - 4167-4477-3386.

Bossking

Banned
People enjoy masturbating to her.

eW1M2tc.png

Oh baby

Top Bottom