• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swapdoodle |OT| Swapnote is Dead, Long Live the Queen

Joqu

titlebwugn.png

Title: Swapdoodle
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo 3DS
Price: Free with in-game purchases
Categories: Communication, System Tool, Utility
Release Date: Nov 17, 2016

info4pbje.png

nintendo.com said:
The Swapdoodle game is an easy way to write messages, draw 3D pictures, and share them with your Nintendo 3DS friends.

Swapping doodles is a snap thanks to stamps based on the icons of played titles and your Mii character. You can also purchase in-game add-ons packs that have doodle lessons of Nintendo characters!

Doodle lessons allow you to trace beloved Nintendo characters from the Super Mario series, The Legend of Zelda, Splatoon, and more! With the right add-on, you can also draw more doodles per note, boost your note storage to over 6000, get more than 45 pen colors, and download stationaries featuring Nintendo characters. Put a piece of yourself in your art by sticking on a Mii face with various emotions to choose from. It's also possible to share in-game screenshots with friends who also have the game and even create secret pages that are hidden until your friend replies. It's always fun to see what doodles your friends are swapping!

• Swap messages and doodles with your Nintendo 3DS friends
  • Purchase add-ons packs to enhance your doodles and learn to doodle Nintendo characters
  • Take doodle lessons featuring characters from Splatoon, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, and more!
  • Draw 3D doodles on 2 layers
  • Place a sticker of your Mii character's face with different emotions
  • Send in-game screenshots from select titles

nintendo.co.uk said:
Add-on content

Your Swapdoodle experience can be expanded with a range of add-on content packs, available to purchase from the Lesson Store within Swapdoodle. You could breathe some colour into your creations, liven up your notes with different stationery options and much more!

Some packs feature doodle lessons, so you can take your scribbles to the next level! Each lesson features its own theme, like Splatoon, Animal Crossing or The Legend of Zelda, so you can learn how to draw fan-favourite characters like a pro.

If you’re not sure which pack to download, you can always try out a Trial Mode, free of charge. The Trial Mode will let you try your hand at one of the doodle lessons included, though you won’t be able to save your progress.

As well as giving you extra stationery, pens and lessons, some packs will also expand your maximum note storage and ink capacity, so you can Swapdoodle to your heart’s content.

Here’s a tip: if you download the free Starter Pack, you can store 300 notes right off the bat – that’s an extra 100 notes! What’s more, your ink capacity will increase by two units, and you’ll also get your hands on four doodle lessons, two types of stationery and one coloured pen!

The following packs are available to download in Swapdoodle:

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_j7phh.jpg

Starter Pack – FREE – Includes four lessons, two types of stationery and one coloured pen. Increases maximum note storage by 100 and ink capacity by two units.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_oqoki.jpg

Nintendo Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 / $6.99 – Includes six lessons, six stationery types, five coloured pens and four premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_txrn1.jpg

Sparkling Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 / $6.99 – Includes 14 lessons, eight stationery types, five coloured pens and six premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_2urei.jpg

Silver Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 / FREE in North America – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_hgr4k.jpg

Bronze Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 / $1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_pdqyl.jpg

Super Mario Basic Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_jlodf.jpg

Super Mario Standard Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_j8re9.jpg

Splatoon Inklings and Things – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_89rix.jpg

Splatoon Inkopolis – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 12 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_k1ob5.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 11 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_vtqyf.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_6hpeb.jpg

Animal Crossing Standard Lesson – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 13 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_nxo7b.jpg

Mario Kart 8 – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 14 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_z5p4t.jpg

Prehistoric Life – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_tarcj.jpg

Nikki's Simply Adorable Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 27 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_jqp2u.jpg

Nikki's Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 20 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

ci7_3dsds_swapdoodle_1vp63.jpg

Nikki's Simply Beautiful Flowers – £2.69 / €2.99 / $2.99 – Includes 25 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

communityulz2u.png

Just like its predecessor Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in PAL regions but who likes that title?) Swapdoodle allows you to share your doodles, game screenshots and messages to your 3DS friends, and it's a far more enjoyable experience for it. So do feel free to share your 3DS friend codes to add fellow gaffers, I have created a spreadsheet for this very purpose.

Let's be friends!

NeoGAF Swapdoodle Spreadsheet

Don't forget to let people know you've added them by sending them a PM.

(I don't have much experience with setting up spreadsheets using Google Docs so I might have made some mistakes here. Do let me know if I have.)

bonusfuj69.png

NoE Official Site
NoA Official Site
Gallery of official Swapdoodle artwork hosted by Nintendo Everything

Trailer

Screenshots

Note: I apologize for the copy and paste job, I didn't have much free time. I hope you still enjoy this OT though! I honestly don't know if there's enough interest for this, but that doesn't matter, I enjoyed Swapnote too much to not give this a go. :)

Feel free to let me know by PM if I need to change something.

Nikki is the queen.

Happy doodling! <3

MrBS

MrsBS and I were overjoyed to see the triumphant return of Nikki. So good. We've been sending messages to each other all weekend lol

Mephala

I need this with pokemon package.

I always liked doodling on the 3DS and Wii U. Good time to dust off my 3DS. Time to be a Mayor in AC again too.

Joqu

Whoa! Where did that come from?

Yeah, Nintendo just released it out of nowhere a few days ago, no fanfare or anything. The OT's late though :/

Too bad there isnt the open uploadability like swapnote... Or can friends of friends view them as well?

I honestly don't remember how Swapnote handled this stuff but I don't believe so, no. Doodle's definitely more restricted than it though. No photos (but that's probably a good thing...) and I believe you have to add 3DS friends in-game to open up certain interaction options?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Need to work out who is actually active/still has me on my friendlist.

With Swapnote you could see who actually received your note which was a good way of finding out the latter.

Bit cruddy that the thick pen is behind a monetary wall. Should be a basic feature.

Will miss adding sound bites too. That was a great way to add a bit of character to the note.

neto

I finally got time to download this, here is my friend code if anyone wants to add me 2852-7459-4308, just tell me to add you back!
I am also on the spreadsheet and I added you op!
Let's doodle

Roto13

Managed to send out a picture of a butt by making it an Animal Crossing pattern, covering the walls and floor with it, and taking a screenshot. Reception has been lukewarm at best.

-shadow-

I actually hoped they'd update Miiverse to include a bunch of the extras that this/Swapnote had. But I guess this'll do. I still have the Letterbox installed with a bunch of amazing and really wrong drawings shared between me and a couple of friends &#128514;

How is this different from swap note? I need to turn on 2.4Ghz to download it.
It's pretty much the same just minus the screenshot/photo option from what I've seen.

Dingens

downloaded it today. I'm sure I've still most of the old swap note crew on my friends list. too bad the system doesn't really give you any indication if that's also true for the other side...
is there any way you can tell?
or do I have to go through every single code and check? (got 100 friends, so I need to delete people "inactive", but I'd hate if I deleted someone who's active by accident only to add them again later on)

How is this different from swap note? I need to turn on 2.4Ghz to download it.

It's essentially a relaunch with newer pen colors, stationary, drawing lessons, additional pen types (like glitter pens), and the removal of the snapshot sharing functionality, which was essentially the reason why Swapnote was disabled in the first place.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
downloaded it today. I'm sure I've still most of the old swap note crew on my friends list. too bad the system doesn't really give you any indication if that's also true for the other side...
is there any way you can tell?
or do I have to go through every single code and check? (got 100 friends, so I need to delete people "inactive", but I'd hate if I deleted someone who's active by accident only to add them again later on)

The old trick of sending a swapnote to everyone and then seeing who received it doesn't seem to work so you may have to resort to the old method of removing someone and re-adding them.

Fewr

I send my notes to all my contacts. After about a week of no response I'll start deleting people one by one in order to make space for the new gen of swap note friends.

Joqu

Yeah, I have a lot of people added on 3DS and I don't know how many of them might be using this thing, sucks there isn't some indication. So for now I'm just sending notes to everyone. If I don't get any signs of live out of them after a while I'll just go on a removing spree, I barely remember who half of them are.

I finally got time to download this, here is my friend code if anyone wants to add me 2852-7459-4308, just tell me to add you back!
I am also on the spreadsheet and I added you op!
Let's doodle

Well at least someone's using the spreadsheet.

It's okay though, it makes my friend code nice and visible :p

But yeah, feel free to use the spreadsheet everyone. It'd make it easier for me to remember GAF usernames of the people I've added

(I added you back of course.)

Can you type messages as well? My handwriting has never been the best.

I wish! My handwriting is a mess too so it's a struggle making legible messages. Takes me way too long. >.>

Dingens

so... you can only store 200 messages... srsly?
I'm going to fill that up within a month (and no, why should I pay for something like that?!)
also paid stationeries? the fun of the old one was to collect them from random people... but this just rubs me the wrong way.

Refyref

so... you can only store 200 messages... srsly?
I'm going to fill that up within a month (and no, why should I pay for something like that?!)
also paid stationeries? the fun of the old one was to collect them from random people... but this just rubs me the wrong way.

The free DLC adds 100 more messages to the storage, for what it's worth.

Dingens

that's almost insulting as far as I'm concerned
They should've made an it an option to pay for this stuff with mynintendo coins, preferably the silver ones.

Roto13

that's almost insulting as far as I'm concerned
They should've made an it an option to pay for this stuff with mynintendo coins, preferably the silver ones.

You're like those kids who go on Miiverse and complain that Nintendo Badge Arcade costs money instead of play coins.

Fewr

I've bought a couple of packs. They're ok.
I got the Nintendo premium pack and the cute animals lessons. If they do a Pokémon pack I'll get that too.

RpgN

The old trick of sending a swapnote to everyone and then seeing who received it doesn't seem to work so you may have to resort to the old method of removing someone and re-adding them.

I hope you received my reply on time before deleting me with the rest ;_;

Edit:

Never mind, I see that we have become pals.

Dingens

You're like those kids who go on Miiverse and complain that Nintendo Badge Arcade costs money instead of play coins.

no, I'm more like the guy who goes on Neogaf and complains that Nintendo is artificially putting something behind a pay-wall that, in reality, is only limited by one thing: the size of your SD card.

Also, what's badge arcade?

RpgN

^
Another free to play Nintendo Eshop game with micro transactions I think. It's about collecting stickers and using them in the main menu.

I do think that Nintendo did go too far with Swapdoodle. Offering lessons is fine. But the rest should have been free. Offering premium colours might still be okay but they need to be much cheaper.

It's sad to see Nintendo taking advantage of what has been missed and what is essentially a message system that is not available on the 3DS.

Roto13

no, I'm more like the guy who goes on Neogaf and complains that Nintendo is artificially putting something behind a pay-wall that, in reality, is only limited by one thing: the size of your SD card.

Also, what's badge arcade?

Everything they put behind a paywall is "artificial"

Dingens

Everything they put behind a paywall is "artificial"

I disagree
Colours, stationeries, lessons, whatever required at least some kind of development effort. They ADD something to the software.
The amount of letters you can store is, as I said, only limited by your SD card. Putting an additional limit on it is artificial. You are not adding anything by removing the barrier with money - you're just removing the barrier.

RpgN

Yeah, one try free per day.

Mi fc is 2020-1041-4608

I will add everyone and add myself in the list!

Thanks, I just DLed it.

Friend code: 1891 1235 5073

I added you.

I'm looking to add others, so don't be shy :D You can find me in the list.

Anustart

Would like to try this. But for some dumb reason I have to submit a request to nintendo for approval because it thinks I'm a minor or something.

Submitted the email about 2 weeks ago. Still no reply. Aww yeah, one of the months I'll finally be able to doodle! Fuck this shit.

Top Bottom