• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jordan to grace the cover of NBA 2k11...wait, what?

mr stroke

Dark FaZe said:
Back again with that engine 2k? Smh.

+1

WTF 2K!!!!

lazy assholes. If your not going to redo the same engine you have been using for the last 7 years at least fix the Online and menus

Colocho

Banned
I remember playing NBA Live 2001 or something like that, which had Jordan in the 90's all star team. What's the big deal about playing with MJ anyway?

Calantus

Colocho said:
I remember playing NBA Live 2001 or something like that, which had Jordan in the 90's all star team. What's the big deal about playing with MJ anyway?

Most of us here grew up watching MJ, he WAS basketball.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I've known about the "real" Jordan since 1992. I knew several of the service people who worked around Jordan and not only was it their job to keep his affairs quiet but it was their esteemed privilege to put up with his "behavioral deficiencies". It is funny how big of a character flaw people are willing to forgive when that person or persons accomplish something so uniquely grand but ultimately trivial in the campaign of human evolution. I never liked him as a person even when he won us 6 championships. I respect the skills but not the person.

As for this move. Apparently his pocketbook is becoming a little thinner than he is accustomed.

Smokey

That engine is not going to change this gen. This is a fact. Know this from a very reliable source (2k age knows who that is).

Also natal controls will probably be in 2k11 :/

Fuckin shit

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
XiaNaphryz said:
10785qo.jpg

This is a screenshot of 2k9 with a fan made 98 Bulls add on.
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=61937&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=500

The 2k games already have Pippen and Rodman, and I think Robert Parish too.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Darren Rovell of cnbc.com is now confirming this as well:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37471683

Published: Wednesday, 2 Jun 2010 | 1:42 PM ET Text Size
By: Darren Rovell
CNBC Sports Business Reporter

AP
Michael Jordan might be retired, but he’s still the most powerful force in the basketball marketing world. He has proved that in the shoe business and now he’ll get his chance on a video game cover.

Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports, confirmed to CNBC.com that the Charlotte Bobcats owner will appear on the cover of NBA 2K11, which will hit stores on Oct. 5.

“We’ve made a lot of progress over the past 10 years, but we know we have the best NBA video game ever made here,” Argent said. “So we thought to ourselves how can we embody that and there was only one person on that list who we wanted to have and that was Michael Jordan. Actually getting this done is the most ridiculous win of all-time.”

“Michael’s last appearance in a video game was in 2004 and over that time the video game industry had continued to grow,” said Estee Portnoy, Jordan’s business manager. “We had been hearing that there was demand from the gamers to have him in the game and this came along and made a lot of sense.”

Argent wasn’t ready to talk about specifics of how Jordan would appear in the game other than to say that there will be “some really good surprises.” Argent did however guarantee that the game would be the best selling game in the 10-year history of 2K Sports.

“It’s an honor to be featured on the cover of NBA 2K11,” Jordan said, in a statement. “I have no doubt that NBA 2K11 will be a big hit with gamers and basketball fans alike. I’m looking forward to getting back out on the court, virtually.”

2K Sports hasn’t suffered from a lack of attention lately. The company recently gave away $1 million to a 23-year-old gamer for pitching and recording a perfect game in its Major League Baseball 2K10 title.

The Jordan announcement follows the announcement earlier this week that Wayne Gretzky would appear on the cover of NHL Slapshot, EA’s hockey game for the Wii.

So what’s wrong with all the active players?

Argent said that his choice to select a retired athlete over current athlete shouldn’t come as a slight to those playing in the league, who of course will be included in the game.

“I think everyone who is playing greatly reveres what Michael meant and still means to the game of basketball,” Argent said.

Jordan has had an interesting history with video games. Due to a licensing agreement he had with the NBA, his rights weren’t part of the group licensing agreement that included all the other players—meaning his likeness didn’t automatically appear in many games while he was playing.

Jordan, through Nike’s Jordan brand [NKE 72.12 0.94 (+1.32%) ] , still sells the majority of premium basketball shoes in the United States. He also has endorsement deals with Hanes, Gatorade, Upper Deck and Five Star Fragrances. Aside from being the owner of the Bobcats, he has a motorsports team, is a partner in restaurant business and owns Nissan dealerships in North Carolina.

Jordan played 15 seasons in the NBA—13 with the Chicago Bulls (where he won six titles) and two with the Washington Wizards. He played his last game more than seven years ago.

Last week, ESPN.com quoted sources as saying that Jordan would be appear on the cover, but the news wasn’t confirmed publicly until today.

Questions? Comments? SportsBiz@cnbc.com

© 2010 CNBC, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Mrbob

dskillzhtown said:
I do wonder why 2k is doing this. Paying Jordan, other legends and getting the rights to all the old arenas and shoes is going to be very expensive. They must feel that this is going to be the knock out blow to NBA Live since the rumors of it's demise have been rolling around for a few months.

They also gave away a million dollars for MLB2K10, and the games sales didn't compare with MLB The Show. 2K sports works in mysterious ways. It is like they love to waste all the money Rockstar earns for Take Two.

Chrange

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
I've known about the "real" Jordan since 1992. I knew several of the service people who worked around Jordan and not only was it their job to keep his affairs quiet but it was their esteemed privilege to put up with his "behavioral deficiencies". It is funny how big of a character flaw people are willing to forgive when that person or persons accomplish something so uniquely grand but ultimately trivial in the campaign of human evolution. I never liked him as a person even when he won us 6 championships. I respect the skills but not the person.

As for this move. Apparently his pocketbook is becoming a little thinner than he is accustomed.
If his accomplishments are so trivial, aren't his character flaws even less so? I mean if we're comparing a BASKETBALL PLAYER to 'the campaign of human evolution' and all...

DiddyBop

Shaheed79 said:

not sure abotu the other stuff you posted but jordan is getting 20 million a yr from nike for the Jordan Brand, which has some of the top selling athletic shoes in NA year in and year out. i doubt there is anything thin about his wallet:lol

linsivvi

Shaheed79 said:

:lol :lol :lol

Dude, he's the majority owner of an NBA team now. This little deal won't even be enough to pay for a mid-level player on his team.

Assemble!

I want the ability to use this starting lineup.

Michael Jordan
Jud Buechler
Luc Longley
Bill Wennington
Bill Cartwright

If 2k made that happen, I would even accept the amount of bugs in 2k10. Day 1.

bumpkin

Champomade said:
I would pay a lot of money to have the Pacers from the 90's in top of that (with a Reggie Miller Story mode).
They'd have to map a button on the controller to "flop". That way whenever a defender as much as breathes on him, he can realistically flail backwards and fall to get the foul call. :lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
bumpkin said:
They'd have to map a button on the controller to "flop". That way whenever a defender as much as breathes on him, he can realistically flail backwards and fall to get the foul call. :lol
And another button for the choking motion when he plays against the Knicks. :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
twinturbo2 said:
And another button for the choking motion when he plays against the Knicks. :lol
It needs to be context sensitive and only happen if you pass Spike Lee on the sideline.

wRATH2x

Banned
Oh good god will they change the engine already!

I want new gameplay too, what the fuck 2K with the same game every year.

Chrange

Banned
demolitio said:
Please tell me I can find a way to put Jordan on my beloved Cavs as a revenge of sorts...:lol
Bad news...
2K Sports today revealed The Jordan Challenge, a new game mode for the latest iteration of the top rated and top selling basketball simulation franchise*, NBA® 2K11. This new mode will allow players to relive 10 different legendary games from Michael Jordan's illustrious career and challenge them to replicate what he did on the court in NBA 2K11.

"Fans of the series are going to be thrilled to know that in NBA 2K11 Michael Jordan is much, much more than just a cover athlete," said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. "We're excited to start talking about the ways that Michael will be used in the game and there's still a lot more to come."

While playing The Jordan Challenge, fans can try to stun the world in Jordan's self-described greatest game by torching the Cavaliers by 69 points in March of 1990; attempt to battle back from the flu to defeat the Jazz in Game 6 of the 1997 finals; or leave the world wanting more as they relive one of Jordan's finest performances during his last game as a Chicago Bull on June 14, 1998. In addition to The Jordan Challenge mode, gamers will have the unique opportunity to play as some of the greatest teams in NBA history, including the ‘85-'86, '89-'90, '90-'91, '94-'95, '95-'96, '96-'97, and '97-'98 Chicago Bulls.
:lol

Kifimbo

demolitio said:
Please tell me I can find a way to put Jordan on my beloved Cavs as a revenge of sorts...:lol

No, 2K wants you to demolish the Cavs.

While playing The Jordan Challenge, fans can try to stun the world in Jordan’s self-described greatest game by torching the Cavaliers by 69 points in March of 1990; attempt to battle back from the flu to defeat the Jazz in Game 6 of the 1997 finals; or leave the world wanting more as they relive one of Jordan’s finest performances during his last game as a Chicago Bull on June 14, 1998.

Zeliard

While playing The Jordan Challenge, fans can try to stun the world in Jordan’s self-described greatest game by torching the Cavaliers by 69 points in March of 1990

Poor Cavs. Getting fucked by past, present and future.

demolitio

Zeliard said:

Poor Cavs. Getting fucked by past, present and future.
Don't limit to just the Cavs. More like Cleveland in general. :lol

I guess I can play all of those games except one. I just can't convince myself to do that. Next you're going to ask me to play As Elway in "The Drive". :lol

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Is that my boy Tony Kucoc in the background? Looks like Karl Malone too.

He has no number...I hope they went out and got licensing from Kukoc, Harper, etc. Would kind of suck playing with like 10 roster players with no numbers on.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
you'd think the teaser trailer would have his signature dunk. tongue out and all. shit, throw in the bulls opening music as well.

I am a Heat fan so its going to be amazing to play as my team, it will feel like I created a fantasy team except its real. That said the first thing I will do with this game is play as Jordan, that is the power that man has. The greatest of all time, I must play as him.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Bad_Boy said:
you'd think the teaser trailer would have his signature dunk. tongue out and all. shit, throw in the bulls opening music as well.
The dunk in the video is one of his signature dunks though not THE signature dunk.

The Jordan Challenge mode, gamers will have the unique opportunity to play as some of the greatest teams in NBA history, including the ‘85-'86, '89-'90, '90-'91, '94-'95, '95-'96, '96-'97, and '97-'98 Chicago Bulls.
The 30 win 85-86 Bulls are one of the great teams in NBA history? I know they're referring to the 63 point game in Boston but still. :lol

Tzeentch

Chrange said:
Two new shots:
ab3s45.jpg
Is the top of his head that damn pointy in real life? Or is the engine they are using so decrepit they can't afford a few extra edgeloops?

Also, the textures ... ugh.

Top Bottom