• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

benzy

Nope. Same as Judgement demo even (1.02 is)

High resolution mode is as jerky as ever.

Make special note and emphasis on the frame pacing issues in your DF analysis, and I'll bombard FFXV social media about it. I'm pretty sure they'll fix it. :p

Btw, isn't framepacing just a bug not related to limited performance power? Weird there's varying levels of frame pacing issues on PS4 modes, and the XBO version completely lacks it.

DrBretto

Banned
Yeah. I was thinking that earlier. We'll see where the dust settles, but my kneejerk reaction to the metascore earlier was that if you're looking for reviews drama, this is about as boring as it gets. A perfectly respectable score by today's standards that is neither so good that it puts the haters in their place nor low enough to justify meltdowns that it's being reviewed too harshly.

Honestly, it's kind of refreshing. I was expecting the review thread to be a battleground, but it's kind of nice that its drama free. We can all live with 86.

royox

My friends are already playing it.
Webpages are giving reviews.
I saw a commercial on TV.
And I still can't believe this is really happening. Tomorrow will be a legendary day.

Dynasty8

I really doubt the writing is bad as people say it is.

It is.

I am 30+ hours in. Not gonna be biased...I absolutely love this game, but whoever was in charge of how to tell this story needs to seriously get fired. As fucked up as that sounds, I mean it 100%.

Square hasn't told a good story in ages.

daftstar

IGN posted a PS4 and PS4 Pro comparison vid showing the 4K and High-Framerate mode.

I thought the High-Framerate mode was coming later in a mid-December patch?

Western developers have far surpassed japanese developers in their ability to make AAA games for example.

FFXV is reviewing really well btw.
The goalposts moving by people expecting a disaster with lower than 80 metacritic and now turning the situation into "But no 90+ like in the nineties!!" or "Metacritic is useless" instead of eating crow is both hilarious but sadly expected.

Yeah, how many japanese games can now compete technically? FFXV obviously can, the new Yakuza also looks really nice overall...Some of the Nintendo devs can but they are obviously on weaker hardware. Gravity Rush 2 looks awesome visually as well.

Nerokis

People realize FFXII came out in 2006, right? Since then, FF has been mismanaged to hell and back: FFXIII was a poor effort, and proceeded to become a subseries that would define the franchise's presence on last generation consoles; FFXIV ended up becoming an incredible success story, but not before being a complete disaster; Versus XIII was perpetually in "please be excited" territory; and then you had things like All the Bravest further diminishing the brand.

In addition, we've had games like Witcher 3 come out, and JRPGs have diminished overall.

So this "whelp, what happened to the FF brand?" sentiment strikes me as quite strange. It's been awhile since FF has been so prestigious, and the competition has both changed and become more intense. The point that FFXV failed to be another FFVII is well taken, and seems to be true enough, but that's a very narrow standard to judge it by.

The franchise has been struggling to adapt, has been losing relevance, for around a decade. FFXV seems to represent a step forward, and establishes a solid foundation to build on. Personally, I would be pretty happy with that.

Somehow I'm not talking about the reviews? Lul dude. That's just three posts of a few of me trying. Maybe read the thread next time before throwing stones.

I mean admittingly I gave up after a while when the score jerking was too much and did troll answers/comments, but it's not like you're posts are particularly helping the discussion either.

I wasn't saying you specifically were derailing the thread, I was saying to the people that are saying metacritic doesn't matter, but you choose to respond. Anyway your right so Ill just end things here.

Charamiwa

Banned
The Gamekult guy is saying pretty much the same things everybody else is saying, he just feel more strongly about the low points of the game. That's all there is to it, calling him a troll or the website clickbait is ridiculous.

If you can't handle the fact that Gamekult is generally less forgiving than most review sites, just ignore it.

Orayn

It's already patched for Pro, really.

I fear that the update might be more harmful than good.

Imagine this - they don't fix frame pacing issue in the high-res mode, right? Very likely that it won't be corrected, I fear.

...but now, the "lite" mode uses an uncapped frame-rate that struggles to actually hit 60fps leaving you with ~45-50fps instead.

So it would be unsteady all around.

I hope that does NOT happen but it is a realistic possibility.

Have you guys reached out to S-E about frame pacing at all?

Hoping for another Destiny or Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil scenario if it gets to the right people.

DrBretto

Banned
Based on what?

Last gen they loved games like Batman, RDR, Dead Space, The Witcher 2, Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Deus Ex, FIFA and Uncharted. They're just a harsher outlet than most.

A review is more than a score. Read the review, and you'll see why no one is taking it seriously.

There's plenty of other data out there to get a solid idea of the game.

Cheers Prince.

You have arrived.

lightxnoct_screenshot_by_fatal_exodus.png

:eek:

I didn't want it, because I'd stopped playing long JRPGs and haven't played much FF in years, but now I do. I wish the price had dropped in Canada.

Do any of the reviews say how long it is?

Ray Down

Banned
I didn't want it, because I'd stopped playing long JRPGs and haven't played much FF in years, but now I do. I wish the price had dropped in Canada.

Do any of the reviews say how long it is?

Kotaku/Jason got through the main story in 25 hours and alot (I think all) in about 55.

styl3s

It's already patched for Pro, really.

I fear that the update might be more harmful than good.

Imagine this - they don't fix frame pacing issue in the high-res mode, right? Very likely that it won't be corrected, I fear.

...but now, the "lite" mode uses an uncapped frame-rate that struggles to actually hit 60fps leaving you with ~45-50fps instead.

So it would be unsteady all around.

I hope that does NOT happen but it is a realistic possibility.

So since I have a pro and 4K tv I am fucked with the shittier version? Is there any way to not play it in high resolution mode on pro?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Combat is mind-bogglingly good. Probably the second best open world RPG combat after Dragon's Dogma. Fighing is so, so fun. Y'all are in for a treat.
I've seen that said a lot and it's the last thing I expected based on my time with the demo. So damn excited for tomorrow :D

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
General reminder that literally every last one of us was 10 years younger when this game's original iteration was announced; no one is special for this <_<;;

Top Bottom