• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

It sounds like perhaps there's more wrapped up here than I was trying to get at. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, and my apologies if this all came off as aggressive in the context of your other conversations. Though I may not have been part of it from the beginning, I was merely offering my perspective on the validity of the approach. Didn't mean to make anything seem personal or overly argumentative. In a lot of ways, these are the same old debates we've been having about meta-critic stuff for years.

The difference between us seems to be that you feel like you can justifiably cut things from the top and the bottom unless there's evidence that we should keep them; I'm saying we need to keep them unless there's evidence that they should be cut. I think your perspective offers a lot of value when someone is trying to assess the value of a title in their personal opinion, for example, when making a buying decision, while I feel my approach is a better approach for a broad audience looking for a general consensus view, more of an academic perspective. But we can agree to disagree on that. Regardless, I see no reason to disregard you as a poster for that, and I'm not trying to come after you.

So, let's shake hands and amicably drop it? I don't have enough emotional or intellectual energy invested in the topic that I'd want to anyone to get upset enough to block me for it. That would be way beyond whatever was intended from me here.

Keep telling yourself that.

"Next time he'll have a bigger budget and a better platform"

FFXV happens.

"Next time he'll have more time"

taking over the project of someone else - make a new but still maintaining core elements of Versus (which restricted his creativity and fredoom), working with an unfinished engine, forced to bring out the game by 2016 & therefore cutting out certain things.

after all that mess still getting out a solid game - i would say tabata did a good job and i would also like to see him working on another AAA Game with better circumstances

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's not too bad at all.

Ofcourse FF13 got alot of 8 out of 10s and such aswell, whats gonna matter is the fan impressions are whats really gonna matter in the long run.

ethomaz

Banned
Ok thanks. All I have seen is a review that basically said "hold O to attack, hold Sqaure to dodge". Besides selecting what ability to use, is that really it?

I guess for me combat makes a huge difference if a game is enjoyable or not.

Is there anything even close?

Witcher 3?
Zelda games?
Bloodborne/Souls?
DMC/Ninja Gaiden?
Dragon's Dogma?

Any of those even close?
Nothing close to any of them.

Better than The Witcher 3.
Worst than the others you listed.

Raziel

Hovering dangerously close to FF13. The sad thing is, for FF and Tabata, this is probably the high end for what to expect.

Trace

Banned
Ok thanks. All I have seen is a review that basically said "hold O to attack, hold Sqaure to dodge". Besides selecting what ability to use, is that really it?

Witcher 3?
Zelda games?
Bloodborne/Souls?
DMC/Ninja Gaiden?
Dragon's Dogma?

Any of those even close?

There is nothing close to FFXV combat. Honestly the closest I could say would maybe be like Arkham Asylum between the parries and warp points but that doesn't really make sense either.

BTA

It sounds like it's exactly what I wanted - a messy and weird but interesting thing. Of mainline FF games, I've only played half of 13, so I have no expectations or standards.

Of course, I'll probably be delayed in starting it, and won't finish it for a while. But I'm excited.

Damn just checking the scores. I was not expecting them to be good just based on some stuff I heard on podcasts and such, but I'm now probably going to pick this up to fill the void that opened with the Persona delay.

I just finished reading Jason Schreier's FFXV review - I don't have to read any more reviews thanks to the perfection of this one and because of it, I'm beyond hyped - thank you Jason!!

It was a superb review and you truly covered all the appropriate bases with aplomb.

Btw:
"Arcade gaming"?!? As in arcade games other than Justice Monsters V pinball??

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Witcher 3?
Zelda games?
Bloodborne/Souls?
DMC/Ninja Gaiden?
Dragon's Dogma?

Any of those even close?

Its not anywhere close in quality to an action game, not even in the same stratosphere. Its more like Arkham asylum with team attacks, but even that's not really close to describing it.

As i said, its still much better and more reactionary than most western RPG combat

Eccocid

When you preload a game on ps4 it doesn't download the patches too right? :(

in 2 hours it's my birthday and game will be ready in 3 hours. but i have to wait for the patch again right? bohohoho

Sounds like it came out much better than expected.

I hope this isn't another case of reviewer insanity -- see bloated scores for a lot of AAA games in the past few years -- but I'm cautiously optimistic.

QaaQer

I will say that anyone that things a 86 metacritic score is bad is absolutely full of shit.

That's an opinion I'd ignore immediately, not worth wasting time reading and/or responding to that.

The problem, from a sales standpoint, is that there is a large number of people who look at the top 2or 3 games on mc and buy only from that list. It is part of the reason gtav sells perennially. So in that respect, 80s are bad.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
We must gather our rosebuds while we may. Though I'm mostly going to try hard not to be a jerk about it :)

Yeah, let's not lose our heads now. Best to be humble, civil, and decent over the internet. There are only so many of us willing to do so -- so we've gotta keep it going or else the net will explode.

Trust me.

ethomaz

Banned
BTW looks like few outlets got reviews copies like somebody said... 25 reviews is something really low for a big title.

When the others 50-60 reviews will be out???

Queso did a stat analysis of mc reviews earlier in the year which show a slight inflation of scores this gen.

So no, a 2016 86 isn't magically better than a 2008 86 because critics are 'way harsher' now despite that being trotted out every mc thread by enthusiasts.

If I remember right it was because there was shit ton of more games released in 2008 compared to 2016. When you have tons of more games released you have also tons of more crap bringing the average score down. If we compare just AAA budget games scores have definitely come down from early last gen.

Edit. Seems I am badly late with this post

I'm really excited for this!

I understand reviewers this generation have stepped away from throwing 9 and 10s with abandon and approach things much more sensibly, so mid 80s does not bother me at all.

With FFXV, all I wanted to know is how far removed from the dreck that was XIII is it? The degree of difference is all that matters, and I believe it is almost the opposite in every way!

See, I had this problem, and the solution was to find the right people. Join a FC. Create your own Duty Finder criteria (and include the descriptions of "New to this raid, help wanted"). I've successfully avoided any jerk players this way with ease since being upfront about my skill level and experience and having people willing to help come to ME instead of me just doing things blindly.

Yeah, if I ever got back into the game I'd be more proactive about finding others to play with. At the time I started everybody on GAF was already grinding the end game of the end game.

By & large I really liked it though; I was like a lot of people who avoided MMOs but I'm glad I didn't for XIV. XII & XIV were the only games across the FF universe that I really enjoyed since IX.

heathen

Optimal score range as far as I'm concerned:

90+ and they might have adopted this sort of formula for future mainline games.

Less than 80 and they might stop pouring money into AAA JRPGs.

Mid 80's: "Maybe we should let Ito make that game he's been wanting to do for a decade."

Yeah, let's not our heads now. Best to be humble, civil, and decent over the internet. There are only so many of us willing to do so -- so we've gotta keep it going or else the net will explode.

Trust me.

I heard that. Truer in the latter half of 2016 than ever.

Servbot24

Banned

That's it in the same way that turn-based JRPGs are nothing but selecting "Attack" from a menu over and over.

If you treat this like you're about to play something ranging from Zelda to DMC you may get frustrated. This looks like an ARPG, and it kind of is, but it still has fundamental roots in traditional JRPG mentality.

qcf x2

I'm so on the fence about this. I got burned by FF13 but the compact story and focus on character development is appealing, plus Persona 5 got delayed again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So to follow up on what I was saying earlier about modern review scores, here is the Metacritic score for every $60 retail game released in 2016, as based upon their most reviewed platform.

I maintained the sort order from Metacritic, so rankings within the scores are also reflected.

Keep in mind that it's early enough that Final Fantasy XV could still move a point or two in either direction (though given the critics to come, guessing down a point might be the safest).

Uncharted 4: 93
Overwatch: 91
Forza Horizon 3: 91
Dark Souls 3: 89
Titanfall 2: 89
Civilization VI: 89
XCOM 2: 88
Dishonored 2: 88
Battlefield 1: 88
World of Warcraft: Legion: 88
Total War: Warhammer: 86
Final Fantasy XV: 86
Pro Evolution Soccer 2017: 85
Gears of War 4: 85
MLB The Show 16: 85
Doom: 85
FIFA 17: 84
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 84
Dragon Quest Builders: 83
Watch Dogs 2: 83
Skylanders Imaginators: 81
# Fire Emblem: 80
The Division: 80
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: 79
NHL 17: 78
LEGO Star Wars: 78
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: 78
World of Final Fantasy: 78
Street Fighter V: 77
Quantum Break: 77
Pokken Tournament: 76
Far Cry Primal: 76
Paper Mario: Color Splash: 76
Attack On Titan: 74
LEGO Marvel: 71
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst: 69
WWE 2K17: 69
Star Fox Zero: 69
Battleborn: 68
Mafia 3: 68
Star Ocean 5: 59
Homefront 2: 48

While an 86 is one of the lowest review scores the mainline franchise has ever seen, I do think it's worth considering the current review scale. This actually leaves it pretty high up the list of games in its category.

This is also why I made my original prediction in the 77-82 range, since that's actually only a bit below average today, and would fit with such a troubled development cycle.

You might also notice that there aren't that many games for this being a nigh exhaustive list, but that's a different topic of discussion.

QaaQer

That's not too bad at all.

Ofcourse FF13 got alot of 8 out of 10s and such aswell, whats gonna matter is the fan impressions are whats really gonna matter in the long run.

I played xiii before reading the torrent of hate and I'm glad I did because I loved it. Fan impressions (groupthink) can ruin things before they begin.

Slightly OT:
One thing I found interesting after the fact was that ithat the localization team saved the chatacter of Sazhs, who was written racist af and apparently had horrid jpn va. He was one of my favs. Gogo meddling translators!

Zedark

I think reviewers are afraid to score this game properly knowing the backlash they will receive.

If the biggest negative is that lack of story I don't see how anyone could give this game such a high score. The story portion of an RPG might be the most important part. It's the basis which the game is built on. If the story is abysmal and not interesting why would I want to even play or continue to play and get the outcome and figure out what happens next? It's like forcing yourself to read a bad book or watch a bad movie.

Really? There are plenty of rpgs that are awesome without having a good story (Skyrim, for example). FFXV has many good things (great character development, GOAT combat, an interesting open world) that make it a great game imo, a lacking story is a shame but does not detract too much from how good it is.

Garlador

Yeah but look at your post. As someone who's played both XI and XIV for years, you're A) 100% correct and B) demonstrating why it's hard for single player gamers to really get into something like XIV. Hell l remember the hubbub over players wanting to go into a story dungeon blind so they don't get spoiled and they get screamed at.

To be fair, I only encountered jerks about 5% of the time, asked one of the nice groups for a solution, and they gave me one.

I can see a new player being unwilling to ask for help, but really there's enough great players out there willing to help out and accommodate you to remedy any problems you have.

I had this fear of "oh, I'm late to the game. People just rush through the ending stuff now and I'm holding them back". Solution? Create a Duty Finder search and ask for help. Found a group willing to wait out my cutscenes no issues.

Finding the right people can make all the difference, and new players often fail to take advantage of the tools readily available to find these people easily.

DrBretto

Banned
It sounds like perhaps there's more wrapped up here than I was trying to get at. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, and my apologies if this all came off as aggressive in the context of your other conversations. Though I may not have been part of it from the beginning, I was merely offering my perspective on the validity of the approach. Didn't mean to make anything seem personal or overly argumentative. In a lot of ways, these are the same old debates we've been having about meta-critic stuff for years.

The difference between us seems to be that you feel like you can justifiably cut things from the top and the bottom unless there's evidence that we should keep them; I'm saying we need to keep them unless there's evidence that they should be cut. I think your perspective offers a lot of value when someone is trying to assess the value of a title in their personal opinion, for example, when making a buying decision, while I feel my approach is a better approach for a broad audience looking for a general consensus view, more of an academic perspective. But we can agree to disagree on that. Regardless, I see no reason to disregard you as a poster for that, and I'm not trying to come after you.

I'm glad we've come to some kind of understanding at least. I wasn't ever trying to make any kind of debate over the concept itself, just shutting up some trolls who were being obnoxious. But, I will happily respond since it is a topic now :p

I totally get what you're saying, but there's a key factor that goes into making your score too far in one extreme or another. It means either you're being too nitpicky, or the opposite and ignoring obvious flaws, or it means that you're biased one way or the other most likely, especially with a solid, moderate consensus. Either way, it's meaning there's reason to take that one with a gain of salt.

This doesn't dismiss the content of anything, BTW. Like I mentioned to one other poster, if the article in question brings up legitimate points, then those points can be debated/analyzed on its own merits. I still don't put any stock into the scores themselves for the reasons listed above.

I would agree that if you were really interested in really REALLY digging into it, then you need to read and consider every point brought up from all around. But, there's a point, IMO, where looking at something too deeply in a microscope is problematic in its own right, let alone a video game. As an analogy, I would imagine the world's hottest supermodel looks like an alien wasteland when looked at through a microscope. Sometimes the wider, softer view is more informative and accurate than a detailed list of every flaw.

butman

I just finished reading Jason Schreier's FFXV review - I don't have to read any more reviews thanks to the perfection of this one and because of it, I'm beyond hyped - thank you Jason!!

It was a superb review and you truly covered all the appropriate bases with aplomb.

Btw:
"Arcade gaming"?!? As in arcade games other than Justice Monsters V pinball??

This review is an ode to the FF franchise.

Manu

MGSV was good tho.

Reviewers said the same about FF13.

People defending throwing out low scores.

Now that's a proper GAF review thread.

Type-0.

3rd Birthday.

Keep telling yourself that.

"Next time he'll have a bigger budget and a better platform"

FFXV happens.

"Next time he'll have more time"

We get it man, you want the game to fail.

wamberz1

To be fair, I only encountered jerks about 5% of the time, asked one of the nice groups for a solution, and they gave me one.

I can see a new player being unwilling to ask for help, but really there's enough great players out there willing to help out and accommodate you to remedy any problems you have.

I had this fear of "oh, I'm late to the game. People just rush through the ending stuff now and I'm holding them back". Solution? Create a Duty Finder search and ask for help. Found a group willing to wait out my cutscenes no issues.

Finding the right people can make all the difference, and new players often fail to take advantage of the tools readily available to find these people easily.
I recently hit level cap, and just want to throw in that aside from the occasional person leaving for no reason, I've never had a single negative experience in the form of harassment. The FFXIV community is almost frothing at the mouth to help new players.

DOWN

Banned
Hovering dangerously close to FF13. The sad thing is, for FF and Tabata, this is probably the high end for what to expect.
Nonsense. Everyone knows scores for AAA games are around 5 points lower on metacritic this gen. The review sites got tougher and we no longer have 9.5 AAA games every month

Mcdohl

We get it man, you want the game to fail.

He's probably disappointed the game scored over 80.

Anyways,

This review thread is not the bloodbath I imagined.

It's mostly pretty civil so far.

Fans are not rejoicing at a 99 MC telling naysayers to eat crow, yet it got scores high enough that disables the naysayers from saying: "I told you so".

Top Bottom