• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Welp, I'm now chain gym regular after my employer closed theirs. Honestly, the LA Fitness I went to this morning was pretty decent.

Today was only cardio, so we'll see how lifting goes tomorrow. Not sure how many squat racks there are (3 I think). Hopefully there's no douchebaggery.

at least there's 3. we just got 2. but they are so cool because we have maybe like 5 people doing deadlifts lol.

NEO0MJ

So...there's a little bump in the bottom left of my left thigh. I don't think a bug stung me as I rarely leave my legs exposed so I was wondering if this can sometimes happen due to exercising wrong or something.

mdsfx

So...there's a little bump in the bottom left of my left thigh. I don't think a bug stung me as I rarely leave my legs exposed so I was wondering if this can sometimes happen due to exercising wrong or something.
Have you been losing fat? Is it a vein? I have one or two on the back of my legs

not that i know of other than the rash that's coming back. thunder thighs back at it again. pretty sure i could cause a fire if i keep rubbing them.

So I tried close grip bench press for the first time ever tonight and... oddly, I could feel it pretty strongly in my forearms as well as my triceps.

Might I be doing something wrong?

So my HIIT training and low carb diet mixed with a little bit of strength training (Only a little) has been good so far.

202lb to 194lb in roughly a month.

So I got a few questions.

1: Is it better to exercise before breakfast or after?
2: Is it ok to continue with low carb diet? Or is it recommended zero carbs for maximum effect?

Entirely depends what you're trying to achieve.

In reality though there minimal difference in results between fasted and unfasted training. Try both, see which you get on with better. If you can exercise harder / lift more after eating... then eat. Same goes for low carb / no carb / whatever.

Watch what you're doing, check your progress, modify accordingly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

iR4EQoG.png

That's actually called a continental clean, and it's a real thing. Mostly for strongman on an axel.

mdsfx

That's actually called a continental clean, and it's a real thing. Mostly for strongman on an axel.

I'm blown away. That is the most awkward lift I've ever seen. I was convinced these people didn't know what the hell they were doing (well, maybe they still don't).

Feeling pretty good with squats and deads this week. I restructured my form to help with my hip and back issues. Basically instead of having my feet just slightly inside the width of my shoulders and going for about 15 degrees on my toes outward I can still go down until my hams squeeze my calves and my quads press against my chest on a squat. My knees do not move out past my shoulders at all. They used to follow where my feet pointed and would be just crossing the line halfway outside shoulder width. No issues going as deep as I usually do, heels doing all of the heavy driving through and really making sure my high bar placement is on point.

Deads put a bit more work in to get lower to the bar since feet being a tad closer naturally gives me an extra few cm of height so I start lower but hip has like zero pain keeping my feet abnormally close.

Been taking the time to do a lot of stretching in this position the past few weeks in preparation. Lumbar on my left is still an issue and I won't be able to correct it in my lifetime, I just have to learn to deal with the overblown muscle on that side. I've slowly started upping both exercises again but squats I still keep light but paused reps and take extra time between deads before taking up slack and loading my hams for the next pull. This seems to be helping.

No gym today. went out for my father's birthday so I stocked up on Chinese food at the buffet. Tried to stay away from any dairy product but you know me and desserts 👌

Tomorrow is deadlifts. Let's get back on track

Anyone have 2017 gym goals? I'm trying to think of something but drawing a blank.

I'd like to join the 1000lb club between my bench/deadlift/squat. I feel like my squat is going to have to carry the load though.

Also, I haven't posted in a while don't think. School is keeping me busy, but I still manage to find my way to the gym at least 3 times a week (hoping for 4+ but I'll take anything at this point). Currently 222lbs which is great, as my goal was originally 220 but now I feel like I can go higher.

KillerBEA

Anyone have 2017 gym goals? I'm trying to think of something but drawing a blank.
I got a bunch of goals but honestly 2 of the ones I am really pushing for is being able to do muscle ups and handstand pushups
I'd like to join the 1000lb club between my bench/deadlift/squat. I feel like my squat is going to have to carry the load though.
This is my goal too but unable to Squat or Deadlift for now so my Bench is gonna have to carry through for now

When I'm pushing myself EXTREMELY hard I don't like wearing headphones.

The gym I got to now only plays instrumentals, so it's nice... low key I get hyped and freestyle.

Speaking of headphones; I'm returning the 'Bose Soundsport Pulse' today... they don't seem worthy of the $199 price tag and the heartbeat functionality is pointless. I'll may buy the one without the heart rate monitor in the future. I'll just sticking with my 'Bose Soundlink OE' Bluetooth headphones for now.

I actually can't wear headphones when deadlifting. My hand always gets stuck on the cord eventually if I do

I'm getting a nagging pain on my right shoulder that actually made me quit benching today at 185. I first got it when I was doing dips about a couple of months ago and it's been nagging me ever since. I plan on going to an orthopedist after new years, but does anyone else have a similar problem? I'm afraid it might require surgery.

NEO0MJ

Have you been losing fat? Is it a vein? I have one or two on the back of my legs

Don't think I've been losing much fat. It's like a large circular bump but I can't see it well. Maybe later today I'll try to look closer.

not that i know of other than the rash that's coming back. thunder thighs back at it again. pretty sure i could cause a fire if i keep rubbing them.

That could be a reason.

I'm getting a nagging pain on my right shoulder that actually made me quit benching today at 185. I first got it when I was doing dips about a couple of months ago and it's been nagging me ever since. I plan on going to an orthopedist after new years, but does anyone else have a similar problem? I'm afraid it might require surgery.

A couple of months ago I had an insane pain in my shoulders but now it seems mostly gone, though I haven't done any shoulder exercises since.

Mine are pretty simple...

1: Try not to fuck up my shoulder and back again (linked to 2).
2: Fix my shoulder blade movement patterns / scapular retraction issues.
3: Get back to lifting what I was lifting this time last year, but with even better form.

There are weights I'd like to lift, and a physique I'd like to go for, but honestly they're completely irrelevant compared to avoiding injury again. I'd also like to be able to do pull ups without fear again, but that's going to be reliant on 1/2 up there.

Only other thing would be doing something about my loose skin, but to be honest I'm not convinced it's worth the scar to get ride of. I'll just have to accept that being as lean as mdsfx is never an option. :p

velociraptor

Also, I haven't posted in a while don't think. School is keeping me busy, but I still manage to find my way to the gym at least 3 times a week (hoping for 4+ but I'll take anything at this point). Currently 222lbs which is great, as my goal was originally 220 but now I feel like I can go higher.
I would really like to hit that goal too although realistically it might take me a couple of years to hit the 1000lb club I think.

1,000lb is never going to happen for me. I'd have to be elite level to do that at my weight (even before considering my injuries). I guess somewhere around 850lb would be my equivalent.

Need help.

I get these stupid headaches when squatting.

I do ATG with a belt, take in a big breath and squeeze my abs to avoid back injury, hold my breath the whole way through.

It feels like my blood pressure raises and is giving me a headache, but it's only with the squat, nothing else.

Should I breath out when pushing?

2017 gym goals: don't get injured.

The last 3 months have been a total stall with nagging and persistent back problems. First in the upper mid region, kind of off to the right side like it was in the lat area, and then in the lower back. By the time the first one was fading, the second one set in (related? not related? who knows). Now the second one I think (hope) is finally starting to recede.

ACE 1991

Not get skeptical looks when I tell people I lift

please biceps just grow ;_; join the rest of my muscles that seem to respond mostly well to weight lifting

KmA

I want my squat and deadlift to be at 405 by the end of next year hopefully. And I just want to put on a ton of muscle but that just comes with the territory.

mdsfx

1. 315lb squat next year
2. I want boulders for shoulders. Mine are puny.
3. Complete a triathlon (registered)
4. Complete a full marathon (registered)

KillerBEA

You guys are freaks. I barely bench ~85 lb :(
I mean, I do 10 reps but still, I'm so outclassed.
Takes time. My Bench is week. Still can't bench bodyweight for even one after over a year, close but not there yet. Will get it soon since I am benching a lot more right now since I can't squat or deadlift right now. Doing some kind of Bench 4 times a week and Overhead Pressing in some form 3 times a week

Need help.

I get these stupid headaches when squatting.

I do ATG with a belt, take in a big breath and squeeze my abs to avoid back injury, hold my breath the whole way through.

It feels like my blood pressure raises and is giving me a headache, but it's only with the squat, nothing else.

Should I breath out when pushing?
Are pulling your gut in or or are you pushing your abs into the belt? Should be pushing into the belt if you're not. Make sure to hold the air in your stomach not your cheeks.

Getting the "do you even lift, bro?" while literally in the gym always stings a little.
I get that kind of stuff from coworkers, I mean I get I am not big but still.

You guys are freaks. I barely bench ~85 lb :(
I mean, I do 10 reps but still, I'm so outclassed.
We all have to start somewhere. Takes time, diet, sleep.

So any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing a crippling headache after every heavy squat set is not the norm.
Google: Valsalva

You are supposed to inhale deep and keep the pressure at your midsection/abdominals. Exhale against those, not your head. Most people try to push the air out like they normally would exhale. A good starter trick is to push against the abdominal wall with your mouth open. Get used to not pushing the air up and out.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Good stuff guys. May 2017 bring everyone strenf and success. I may shoot for 10 consecutive strict muscle ups in a row.

alternade

- Actually look like I lift ie lose 25-30lbs and maybe have the illusion of a chect and biceps
- Bench my bodyweight, 280lbs
- Now that I have a decent size house and yard, start doing more strongmanesque movements
- Be able to run for 20 minutes without feeling like I want to die
- Find a lifting partner

-BIGGEST ONE-
Not get intimidated when lifting around guys bigger than me and/or start ego lifting when guys smaller than me lift more than I do. I just need to focus on what i'm doing and eventually i'll get to my goal.

mdsfx

-BIGGEST ONE-
Not get intimidated when lifting around guys bigger than me and/or start ego lifting when guys smaller than me lift more than I do. I just need to focus on what i'm doing and eventually i'll get to my goal.
This is a good one. I had to keep myself in check today and remind myself that I'm only here for my own benefit, not to impress anyone. Everyone else's judgements about me (and my concern over them) can fuck off and have a nice day.

alternade

So i just tried the Pineapple Orange Banana IsoPure and im not sure how I feel about it. It takes like a Flintstone vitamin but more tart. I don't hate it and am glad to have something different than chocolate or vanilla. Back day should be interesting............

mf.luder

Squatted 295 tonight. I think I could've gone for 315 easily but didn't push it.

Need to really work on my chest though, my bench was always weak.

Jumped back into squats after a several month hiatus.

3x10 @ 235 lbs. Pretty light but it felt good to go for volume. I think I will keep this up and focus more on reps than weight.

Top Bottom