• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Are the women I posted in my thread in OT on PEDs? Because a lot of posters are saying they are. I never thought they were.
2bbde28bb8c378c38682eb6371a19b3b.jpg

Would be very surprised if she was not juicing. Fairly broad defined shoulders, and the abs look a bit blocky.
From this photo angle, it's hard to discern much. Would need more photos. The only thing that's striking is that the photo looks like it was taken by a professional.
Her body doesn't look too outrageous, but check through her instagram. If her boyfriend looks like he juices, then she probably is too.

Ha, if you think those are broad shoulders I should definitely take a photo of my missus.

(I'm not going to take a photo of my missus. She'd snap me in two.)

mdsfx

Wow. My employer is closing our gym to make room for more manufacturing equipment. Looks like I'll be at the Planet Fitness down the street in the early mornings :|

Couldn't last forever I guess...

that thread on women who strength train is fucking weird. any thread where men judge activities that woman do based on how attractive they find them is weird and unnecessary tbh

Astral

Out of curiosity, how much more than when they started should one weigh after a completed bulk-cut cycle? I'm sure there isn't an exact answer, but generally.

NEO0MJ

That sucks. Still, you're OK to lift right? I assume as long as you keep it relatively low rep / high weight?

Yeah, I can lift. It's the reason I decided on it, because I can rest between exercises.
Right now I do ten reps in sets of three. I'll try to figure out a new schedule within the next couple of days in time for my next exercise cycle.

first week since forever where i planned out my meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. kind of proud. first day i didn't go off the diet. so let's see how it goes today (y)

because i made a bet with my friend that when spring rolls around if i'm not as fat she'll get me a pair of pizza leggings (y)

Out of curiosity, how much more than when they started should one weigh after a completed bulk-cut cycle? I'm sure there isn't an exact answer, but generally.
Less, the same, or more - depending on body composition.

My last bulk/cut put me at the same weight I was when I started but looked very different after 66 weeks.

damn pre-workout is no joke. got a super head rush and felt wide awake during my workout. only thing was there was a weird feeling disconnect between my mind and body - like my body strength was lagging behind my mental energy.

OG Kush

Does anyone have any experience with Active Release Therapy or chiropractors for increasing flexibility and mobility? I was listening to Charles Poliquin and while he said stretching and foam rolling works, it is much quicker to do stuff like Active Release Therapy. Yes it does cost money, but it may be worth it depending on the time you save.

I also watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBFSeR87Axs
And the results looks pretty good.

Basically I don't mind spending money on this stuff if it means I don't have to stretch/foam roll for a 6 months for me to fix my squat. Thoughts, experiences?

I have to come in from my garage from time to time to take a leak. Feels like I need to stick a urinal in the corner or something. :D

Doesn't help that I'm old as fuck.

Basically I don't mind spending money on this stuff if it means I don't have to stretch/foam roll for a 6 months for me to fix my squat. Thoughts, experiences?

It's painful as fuck, and I only really stay better if I keep going... which is going to get expensive. =/

Hey all. I don't really post in here but I felt like saying something cuz nobody else really gives a shit.

I finally benched over my own weight, which was a milestone I wanted to reach so I'm pretty happy about that. I weigh 205lbs and punched out 2 reps of 225lbs yesterday. Felt pretty good.

Im 6ft. 32 years old and 205lbs. Dont know what my body fat is. My beer belly is pretty much gone though. Happy about that too.

I've been back training now pretty hard for the last 4 months after being inactive for about 6 years. Suffered a head injury last summer that almost did me in but I got past it and decided to get back in shape and it has been going really well.

I think I will try to be kind of active in here. It seems like a good place to talk about it and you all seem knowledgeable and supportive of one another.

Really trying to keep up with it and its hard when nobody around me is interested in lifting and cares to talk about it.

So hey! Probably see me around.

Edit: and I should add that I am super impressed with a lot of you in here. There are some beasts on GAF.

Awesome. Nicely done!

I'd love to get there one day, but I've never made it more than 2 months without injuring my shoulder. I should really look at surgery of some sort I guess, but in the UK unless you've literally got things sticking out of you / hanging off you, it's hard to get seen.

I switched to doing dumbbell benchpress because my left shoulder was really bugging me. I had been doing it with bad form plus I have an old rotator cuff injury that creeps back up from time to time.

I started doing lots of rotator cuff strengthening exercises on my non bench days and made sure to arch my back and get those shoulder blades tucked in. Made a big difference. And warming up the shoulders with some bands.

I only jump on the barbell bench when I'm trying to push out 1 or 2 reps of as heavy as I can go. Otherwise Im on the dumbbells. I find they are much less of a pain on my shoulder.

I had to do the roll of shame a while back when my shoulder gave out on me. That sucked.

ILoveBish

Last night went well, needed 3x355 on deadlift, got 4x355. I hadn't ate in nearly 24 hours and I still haven't ate yet, been over 36 hours. Fasting rules.

Oh man. I feel like I'm going to faint at the gym if I havent eaten in just 4 or 5 hours before going.

I was thinking of fasting to try and shed a bit of excess weight I have. And since I'm broke I figure it would be a good time to try.

Another massage session on my back. Feels better this week I think.

I'm really hoping I can get to the stage where I can manage it by just going every other week and still avoid injuries.

KillerBEA

Welp, hurt something while Front Squatting today. Only got to my 2 second working set and something popped in my right hip at the bottom of the 3rd of 5th rep. Now my low back is lit up like a christmas tree.

Pyrokai

I just joined a gym and I've gone for the first couple days.

I don't even know how to bench press, but I gave it a shot.

At what point do you ask for a spotter?

I seriously wonder who all the super fit people in there learned how to do that. Are they really all self-taught? The only resource I know is GAF.

Like, this thread is great, but what are some other great lifting sources out there? I'd like to eventually barbell squat and power clean and whatever......but for the time being I'm going to stick to dumbbell squats and stuff until I can learn how to A) use a gym for the first time/getting used to having others around instead of working out from home and B) learn the basics before I start the crazy squat rack stuff.

Another massage session on my back. Feels better this week I think.

I'm really hoping I can get to the stage where I can manage it by just going every other week and still avoid injuries.
Hope it works out for you bud.

Welp, hurt something while Front Squatting today. Only got to my 2 second working set and something popped in my right hip at the bottom of the 3rd of 5th rep. Now my low back is lit up like a christmas tree.
STOP HURTING YOURSELVES!

Get some rest and hope you feel better, dude.

I seriously wonder who all the super fit people in there learned how to do that. Are they really all self-taught? The only resource I know is GAF.

Like, this thread is great, but what are some other great lifting sources out there? I'd like to eventually barbell squat and power clean and whatever......but for the time being I'm going to stick to dumbbell squats and stuff until I can learn how to A) use a gym for the first time/getting used to having others around instead of working out from home and B) learn the basics before I start the crazy squat rack stuff.
YouTube Alan Thrall videos for the basics.

As for needing a spotter, I never ask the wife unless I'm doing a 1RM.

Say you are doing sets of 10, for me, that means the 10th rep is the final rep I can do with perfect form. I can probably grunt out 2 or 3 more by breaking form, but that isn't a very good approach and can lead to injury. Performing a rep as a failure point means breaking form, to me.

You could train with a partner for the last 1-2 rep spots so you can push a little extra with perfect form but I stay away from that, personally.

Take it slow, research some form vids and take videos of yourself to review. You can also post them here for critique.

KillerBEA

Brian Alsruhe is another good youtuber besides Alan Thrall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pUEVQhPRhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7lDnceqVTs

STOP HURTING YOURSELVES!

Get some rest and hope you feel better, dude.

Thanks, and I will.

Afrocious

Should I be doing cardio while focusing on strength? If so, what kind of cardio?

I'm doing Madcow 5x5 and I'm loving it. I'm about 5-6 weeks in after cutting. Now I'm focusing on gaining strength and will be cutting again around mid Jan or mid Feb.

I feel weird not doing cardio while doing Madcow, but I tried doing HIIT and my legs are shot from squatting 3x a week. Should I chill out on cardio or find an easier alternative like walking.

I've gained like 4-5 lbs within these 5-6 weeks btw

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Nothing impressive but I go 225/245x8 cgbp, did 225 2x8 2-3 weeks ago. Second time doing any bench press in over a year. Feel my shoulder joint grinding though.. I want to get my tricep size and strenf back 😔

Ended up doing 225/245/245x8 cgbp shoulders didn't explode! 😊

FuuRe

Why it seems I'm unable to lose weight?

I'm 32 years old, 175cm (5 feet 9 inches)

4 months ago, when I was on a fast food and snacks diet and maxed out my weight at 225lbs I decided to cut the shit and eat healthy.

After three months of a low calorie diet without cheat days I managed to lose 20 pounds. So I decided to hit the gym.

I was feeling better than ever, clothes started to feel looser.

For the first three weeks I did cardiovascular workouts only (30 minutes average, 4 days a week), and obviously kept on eating healthy.

No weight loss. But an evident fat loss occurred, I feel great and more in shape than in, say, 10 years.

But I'm still way overweight, ran my first 5k a couple weeks ago, I did great but my lower legs always seem to hurt after running, not after elliptical or weight training, just running.

205 pounds is still a lot for my height, I recently started to use a fat burner and man I sweat a river now in the workouts, but still, and again, no weight loss.

I obviously have to pay a visit to the doctor, but wanted to ask here if anyone has experienced a similar thing, what was it and how did you dealt with it.

Thanks!

I just want to quote myself... just keep on it dudes! I'm currently at 185lb, just 10 lb away from my normal weight.

Thank you keto and calisthenics.

Avoid treadmills if you are close to your goal weight, they aren't useless but weight training does way better things for you.

Pyrokai

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Any good beginner routines that can add some mass? By beginner, I mean even more beginner that what's in the OP because I can't do those things yet, lol. They're too advanced (I can do dumbbell squats, but not barbell squats....and powercleans scare the shit out of me.)

tariniel

Hi,

I'm relatively new to lifting and trying to improve my squat mobility/form. I want to do squats with the barbell eventually but my form is so bad that I would just hurt myself, so for now I'm just doing bodyweight or goblet squats.

I want to follow this video to increase my mobility, as well as do some of the stretches/mobility work listed on Squat University that require resistance bands. The articles that I found on Squat University that recommend bands are for ankle and hip mobility.

My question: what kind of resistance band do I need? There are many variations in resistance and I truly have no idea. Do I need a thick one that would offer a lot of resistance, or is a thinner one fine? The gym I go to has zero bands for me to use so I have to buy one and bring it with me, unless I can accomplish this without a band. Yes I do need a new gym but I signed a 1year contract to this one (24hr fitness) in July, so until that's done I have to make do. If it matters I'm 29m 244lbs (down from 380 in January).

Thanks!

God I hate Wednesdays. 1 hour of flexibility / mobility work. 1.5 hours of weights. 1 hour of (thankfully reasonably easy) turbo trainer time.

My question: what kind of resistance band do I need? There are many variations in resistance and I truly have no idea. Do I need a thick one that would offer a lot of resistance, or is a thinner one fine? The gym I go to has zero bands for me to use so I have to buy one and bring it with me, unless I can accomplish this without a band. Yes I do need a new gym but I signed a 1year contract to this one (24hr fitness) in July, so until that's done I have to make do. If it matters I'm 29m 244lbs (down from 380 in January).

Thanks!

You want a reasonably meaty one for that. You can loop a thinner / weaker one, but it wont be ideal. Using these as an example, I'd probably go for the purple as an absolute minimum for my weight. For yours, possibly the green.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GJRVA5W/

mdsfx

I'm getting fat again. Wahhhhh. Pressure at school makes it hard :(
I've just finally started being hard on myself after gaining some comfort weight lol. Every time I can see my abs: "alright, time to party." Then I gain weight, get frustrated, cut calories, lose weight, get comfortable, repeat. It's a hell of a cycle...

tariniel

God I hate Wednesdays. 1 hour of flexibility / mobility work. 1.5 hours of weights. 1 hour of (thankfully reasonably easy) turbo trainer time.

You want a reasonably meaty one for that. You can loop a thinner / weaker one, but it wont be ideal. Using these as an example, I'd probably go for the purple as an absolute minimum for my weight. For yours, possibly the green.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GJRVA5W/

Excellent, thanks!

Top Bottom