• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Szu

Thanks for the kind words FitGAF!

I'm excited 😊

Bought some new jeans on BF and I barely fit into them after a wash.

38W 32L and 5% spandex still no room to fit my fat ass and thighs.

Here is a handy reference guide for the future fellow dad.

Baby-Exercise-2.jpg

lenovox1

Thanks for the kind words FitGAF!

I'm excited 😊

Bought some new jeans on BF and I barely fit into them after a wash.

38W 32L and 5% spandex still no room to fit my fat ass and thighs.

Stop washing your jeans. (Allow them to stretch, first. :p)

Jeans with Spandex will go back to their old shape after a cycle in the dryer.

bah getting lean takes so long! it'll probably be another 6 - 8 months of cutting before I'm as lean as I want. So jealous of those who are already lean b/c of metabolism/genetics or only need to cut for 8 - 12 weeks at a time.

Last edited:
HI Gaf,

My mother is looking to buy a new treadmill around $1500(can go a little higher), but wants me to help her research one. The problem is that I'm really not knowledgeable regards to treadmills.

Thinking about switching to high bar from low bar squats since I've heard that it could help with my lower back problems. Any input from you guys? My weights are still pretty pitiful at 70kg/154lbs 5x5 (been doing stronglifts) and my ego probably wouldn't shatter from the decreased weight that comes with high bar.
I only ever do high bar:

Greater verticality in back meaning you lean forward less and less weight means less pressure on back.

You may have other issues at play so keep an eye on it and go light.

bah getting lean takes so long! it'll probably be another 6 - 8 months of cutting before I'm as lean as I want (20% bf as a woman). So jealous of those who are already lean b/c of metabolism/genetics or only need to cut for 8 - 12 weeks at a time.

Everyone can cut in a shorter timeframe... just don't expect to like the experience. :D

Just got back from my first (non injury related) sports massage. Am sore as fuck now... that woman could poke holes in steel with those fingertips.

Hopefully it'll help my back stay loose though.

ACE 1991

As part of my efforts to make environmentally conscious food choices, I've switched this week from milk to soy milk for my protein shakes. I'm surprised by tasty it is. It sure isn't regular milk, though.

BumRush

Had a group of college aged kids ask me to help them with their form / give them tips this morning. Honestly, helping kids with lifting is one of the greatest feelings.

I told them that they should only do curls in the squat rack

Had a group of college aged kids ask me to help them with their form / give them tips this morning. Honestly, helping kids with lifting is one of the greatest feelings.

I told them that they should only do curls in the squat rack

don't forget to hand out these.

61IDnSG-UBL._UX385_.jpg

bchamba

I started a higher volume hypertrophy block with 4 squat sessions, 4 bench sessions, and 2 deadlift sessions every week with sets in the 8-12 range. My legs have the second day DOMs from monday's high bar workout and today I have to front squat and then do more high bar tomorrow.

ILoveBish

Damn thanksgiving weekend killed my groove. Almost a week since my last workout. However, hit it hard on squats and got 305x1, insanely pleased with that. Squats are killing me, but by the third set, it feels good again.

I got a instant pot and have made soup, ribs and hard boiled eggs. So far I love it to bits.

Anyone know of a good tape to wrap a smooth bar for grip?

My farmers are powder coated black and smooth as hell. Even with chalk and a thumb grip they slip. They are a bit thicker than a standard olympic bar so it's hard for me to get a good hold without straps which I don't want to use for walks.

I'm assuming some type of cloth tape but unsure what would work.

I suppose I can also use some anti-skid strips like you would find on a ladder for a swimming pool with the added benefit of filing my callouses at the same time :D

Thoughts?

I'd have thought standard athletic tape would do the job. It's pretty grippy (I wrap my thumbs for hook grip... and yes Brolic, I'm a girly man. :p ).

velociraptor

I'd have thought standard athletic tape would do the job. It's pretty grippy (I wrap my thumbs for hook grip... and yes Brolic, I'm a girly man. :p ).
This might be the best lifehack ever.

The skin of my hands is absolutely fucked. I want to start using the hook grip for deadlifts but the last time I tried they fucked the skin of my thumb and index finger... in fact, the skin on my index finger is permanently rekt.

Which tape do you use and where can I buy it from?

Best elbow sleeve for tennis elbow/tendonitis? Looking at this possibly:

https://www.donjoyperformance.com/trizone-elbow-support
For tennis elbow all you are looking for is a wrap that has a large pad for compression directly on the outside hinge of the elbow. Don't spend a boatload - any wrap that you can get at a drug store will do.

This will only mask the pain slightly, you'll want to take care of that elbow and the key isn't in the elbow - it's in the forearm.

Most tennis/golfers elbow is caused by lack of elasticity in the forearm muscles, putting a lot of stress on the elbow. Stretch the inner and outer forearm several times per day:

Act like you are doing a curl while making a fist, wrist supinated. As you curl up, concentrate on curling your wrist inward to stretch the outer forearm. On the extension, open your palm, keeping it face up and hinge the wrist out as you extend and point with your fingers to the ground, maintaining supination.

The best thing you can do is literally lube your forearm and DRAG (not roll) a butter knife or a screwdriver down your forearm (forming a T with your arm and the utensil) from the elbow out to your wrist. A smooth screwdriver works best as it glides easiest across the arm. Make sure you apply pressure. Again, don't roll, drag.

You must break up scar tissue in the forearm to help increase elasticity. Also having a 3rd party massage your forearms with their thumbs DEEP helps.

I've had excruciating pain from tennis elbow but after I started stretching daily and dragging scar tissue about 3x per week my tennis elbow is gone. When you lift you always grip shit and many of us forget to stretch our forearms regularly.

Dragging the forearm has worked wonders for my elbow. Zero issues for months and months now and I can grip and rip as heavy as the rest of my body allows with zero pain and zero wraps.

I would personally avoid wraps, if you can. They won't help heal anything. Dragging will take a few months but it's better than not doing anything. You will feel immediately better but your elbow will still be enflamed so be careful.

For reference, I had trouble holding out a gallon of milk without severe pain.

crpav

For tennis elbow all you are looking for is a wrap that has a large pad for compression directly on the outside hinge of the elbow. Don't spend a boatload - any wrap that you can get at a drug store will do.

This will only mask the pain slightly, you'll want to take care of that elbow and the key isn't in the elbow - it's in the forearm.

Most tennis/golfers elbow is caused by lack of elasticity in the forearm muscles, putting a lot of stress on the elbow. Stretch the inner and outer forearm several times per day:

Act like you are doing a curl while making a fist, wrist supinated. As you curl up, concentrate on curling your wrist inward to stretch the outer forearm. On the extension, open your palm, keeping it face up and hinge the wrist out as you extend and point with your fingers to the ground, maintaining supination.

The best thing you can do is literally lube your forearm and DRAG (not roll) a butter knife or a screwdriver down your forearm (forming a T with your arm and the utensil) from the elbow out to your wrist. A smooth screwdriver works best as it glides easiest across the arm. Make sure you apply pressure. Again, don't roll, drag.

You must break up scar tissue in the forearm to help increase elasticity. Also having a 3rd party massage your forearms with their thumbs DEEP helps.

I've had excruciating pain from tennis elbow but after I started stretching daily and dragging scar tissue about 3x per week my tennis elbow is gone. When you lift you always grip shit and many of us forget to stretch our forearms regularly.

Dragging the forearm has worked wonders for my elbow. Zero issues for months and months now and I can grip and rip as heavy as the rest of my body allows with zero pain and zero wraps.

I would personally avoid wraps, if you can. They won't help heal anything. Dragging will take a few months but it's better than not doing anything. You will feel immediately better but your elbow will still be enflamed so be careful.

For reference, I had trouble holding out a gallon of milk without severe pain.

Wow thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah it's been a long lasting issue that I stupidly kept lifting through and playing softball through. I was fine lifting heavy 3 days a week for near 2 years on my new routine and counting calories(well been lifting since high school 96) until this hit me and I just kept lifting through the pain. It got real bad so I took some time off, massaged it and got better but lifted heavy with it too soon again. It's not as bad as it was at it's worse from the summer but would like to heal it up so I can continue on with the heavier lifting again.

sphinx

the piano man
I was just thinking... There are communities on my PSN feed when I play on my PS4.

How about we create a PSN Fitgaf community there?

I can't remember if communties have to be tied to specific games or if they can be created as stand-alone. Anyone knows?

I'd love to see what you guys are playing and the pics and comments and stuff.

anyone up for that?

Wow thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah it's been a long lasting issue that I stupidly kept lifting through and playing softball through. I was fine lifting heavy 3 days a week for near 2 years on my new routine and counting calories(well been lifting since high school 96) until this hit me and I just kept lifting through the pain. It got real bad so I took some time off, massaged it and got better but lifted heavy with it too soon again. It's not as bad as it was at it's worse from the summer but would like to heal it up so I can continue on with the heavier lifting again.
NP. Dragging is pretty strange but man does it feel good afterwards.

Above all, just go easy on any grip that aggravates it until it feels better.

I was just thinking... There are communities on my PSN feed when I play on my PS4.

How about we create a PSN Fitgaf community there?

I can't remember if communties have to be tied to specific games or if they can be created as stand-alone. Anyone knows?

I'd love to see what you guys are playing and the pics and comments and stuff.

anyone up for that?
I'll be down as soon as I can change my PSN name. It was infamous on the old GT.

Szu

Well, I made a return to squats after taking off for the past month to heal my back.

Kept it real light. My back got a bit tight at the last two sets, but I took my time rolling and stretching to keep it loose.

Overall, I'm happy to get back to it.

On a side note and extra advice for new dad, MTP, having a 30 lbs toddler walk on your stomach when you're taking a nap is an great way to engage your ab muscles. And when he decides to stand and/or hop on your abs, it's more engaging than doing planks.

The major drawback is when he stumbles and steps on daddy's jewels.

mdsfx

Lol so many dads here now. My kids certainly keep me motivated to be a decent roll model. They imitate everything.

Side note: still recovering from the flu. Holy crap that sucked. 1 full week off and I'm still feeling like I'm at 85% when doing anything physical. Energy levels are low :( The only bonus is that my appetite decreased dramatically for easy cutting lol

ACE 1991

Man my body is really responding well to a 5 days a week schedule, having 4 days a week for upper body (Push, pull, legs, push, pull) is working great.

ILoveBish

Last night went well, all new 3/5/1 session and needed 155x3 on ohp, ended up with 155x4. Felt really good. Deloaded squats by 40lbs just so I stop dreading squat day. I'll work my way back up.

This might be the best lifehack ever.

The skin of my hands is absolutely fucked. I want to start using the hook grip for deadlifts but the last time I tried they fucked the skin of my thumb and index finger... in fact, the skin on my index finger is permanently rekt.

Which tape do you use and where can I buy it from?
Nothing special. I just searched Amazon for athletic tape and bought the standard white stuff that was reasonably priced / reviewed.

Astral

I've been having slight lower back pain probably from pushing myself too hard with deadlifts. Earlier this week it didn't cause many problems but today I feel like it held me back when doing deadlifts. I actually can't tell if it was that or if I was weak for whatever reason. Either way, my back should obviously not be hurting. Is there anything I can do at home to remedy this without resorting to lowering the weights? So far I've just been applying icy hot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've been having slight lower back pain probably from pushing myself too hard with deadlifts. Earlier this week it didn't cause many problems but today I feel like it held me back when doing deadlifts. I actually can't tell if it was that or if I was weak for whatever reason. Either way, my back should obviously not be hurting. Is there anything I can do at home to remedy this without resorting to lowering the weights? So far I've just been applying icy hot.

Do more ab work and you probably need to work on your form. Without knowing a lot more, nobody can actually answer this question.

Third rep was the best too!! Inspiratonal as always bud.

Thanks bud,

Astral

Do more ab work and you probably need to work on your form. Without knowing a lot more, nobody can actually answer this question.

Thanks bud,

Well I've been doing 4 sets of 3 at 365 lbs. The last couple of sets and reps are really tough and I think that's when my form gets messy. I'm guessing that's been piling up gradually to produce pain. I don't wanna lower the weights though. The pain isn't crippling and I like the progress. Today is the first time it really got in the way and I'm concerned about it becoming a more serious problem later. What would abs do? I'm curious. I feel like my abs have never really been a problem.

NEO0MJ

OK, I feel OK and can probably exercise more heavily again. What kind of programs do you recommend when you hit a strength wall?
Edit:Also, abs. I want abs!

I wouldn't say so, at least no massive doses if they were. My missus is bigger than all of them, and she barely even gets any protein. :)

Top Bottom