• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 Announced (Not XCX, new sequel to XB, ACE music, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

Yes, because like I just said, this is a character designer who is actually accustomed to working on designs for CG anime productions, allowing it to translate better.

You might feel that way (I feel the same way, kinda), but not everyone is happy with how the characters look.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, because like I just said, this is a character designer who is actually accustomed to working on designs for CG anime productions, allowing it to translate better.

Yes, XB desperately needed a good character designer for the series.

You might feel that way (I feel the same way, kinda), but not everyone is happy with how the characters look.

Way better than whatever this shit was
latest

Looks rough overall. I have a hard time believing that this game will hit a 2017 release date.

The world looks great, especially that giant tree part near the end. I'm not fond of the way the main character looks (particularly his face). Some of the other characters look pretty good though...easily better than XCX.

Really excited for this, as someone who loved Xenoblade but couldn't get into X... I'm hoping for a return to form.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE BRITISH VOICE ACTORS!

jgwhiteus

I'm a bit iffy on the character designs as well, but that's no different from how I felt about the designs in Xenoblade (especially in-game) and XCX, so... yay, more of what I'm used to with the series? And I appreciate the characters look crisp and clean, as compared to the muddy messes in Xenoblade on Wii.

Waji

Not a fan of the character art design. Makes me think about Tales of and Kingdom Hearts.

Not sure if we need a boy hero that screams boy hero. Monado looks like ass as well.
Except it should have better writing.
And I'm not sure there's monado or anything.
What makes people think it has to be related ?

Mistle

After seeing the trailer in HD, the faces are fine. I think that shot of the protag running at camera is just particularly bad. The other faces shown are fine, it's just standard anime style I guess, but not over-the-top anime which I have a small tolerance for.

The actual character design of the protagonist is quite questionable though...

random25

That giant tree in the background, that giant whale, the airships...

Looks to be a sequel that happened thousands of years after the first one.

Appealing characters...... maybe the girl but the main male isn't appealing at all to me. Best thing about the trailer was the tiger mount and sky whale.

Voliko

Well I would have rather seen something new from Monolith. But this is looking better than X already. The composer list alone makes it better than X already.

I want to see a return to the class system in the original Xenoblade where each character was unique but versatile and there were no duplicates or class switching. Hopefully they focus on making decent scenarios and a good story rather than making the entire game sidequesting...

I will miss Tanaka as character designer though. Great character designer with his own style, but Monolith fucked it up in X. The Xenosaga 1 models looked better. The new character designs just look like generic modern anime to me

NimbusD

Why cant they make a xenoblade game with normal looking characters.

I really have to play the first one. Hope they rerelease it.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
The sequel to one of my favourite games of all time and it looks fucking aweful. What the fuck is up with those character designs and those ugly ass faces ugh...

Zyrox

Holy fuck. I did not expect anything Monolith. When that logo vame up I screamed. Was legit shook.
Looks nice so far, and more importantly, farther along than X when it was first shown. Holy shit, a sequel to the original Xenoblade, one of my favorite games of all time, I still can't believe it. I'm so in.

duckroll

I don't really care for the designs. I don't like this artist much tbh, but I think there is no question that the designs translate better to 3D. Previously Monolithsoft has always struggled with weird looking models because they were taking detailed 2D designs which seem to be too challenging for their modelers to naturally adapt into 3D.

Kaizer

Banned
There will be plenty of other terrible choices to choose from if it's anything like the previous two games!

LOL yeah the armor pieces have never been too aesthetically pleasing for these games. In a way I actually find it kinda charming how janky the clothing looks lol

majik13

The character designs, mostly clothes and armor, were the only thing I didnt like about the orginal xenoblade.
But damn this is much worse. Hopefully its still a cool game.

Man that moment the monolith logo popped up during the presentation. then the music hit! Did NOT expect Xenoblade 2. And never could've thought 2017!!! Hype level at max!

So it looks like the glowing Zohar appears three times: once on both of the girls' chests, and also on the main character's sword.

The game looks really good! I hope they take the new mechanics they added to XCX and implement them; I imagine they'll take some, but try to simplify it a bit from XCX.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I love this series so much.

aravuus

It does look kind of awful lol. Still, unless I get immediately laid off when I hopefully graduate this summer, I might just go and grab a Switch and this game when it releases. Even if everything else is awful, as long as the on-foot gameplay is as fun as it was in XBX, I'm good.

Servbot24

Banned
Very strange art direction. I don't want to say it's straight up bad... but it looks... really not good, lol. Nice to have it announced though.

They'll just pass it to Side UK, who did Xenoblade's dub. Pretty simple.

Oh, wow, I always wondered who did XC's dub, thank you. Side UK have done a lot of great work, sheesh. TW3, AC:S, SOMA, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture - I had no idea they were from the same company.

silva1991

Just watched the trailer again.

Terrible main character design aside, is it just me or his running animation is way worse than X?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wonder why Hiramatsu broke off from the +.

I think he worked with them before on an MMO independently so maybe they just tried it with Xenoblade because they got him in? They haven't used it since so it could be that it didn't stick.

Golnei

Actually, I would not be surprised if the red girl is actually the human form of that blade.

Master, the batteries in your Nintendo Switch™ system are nearly depleted.

Hey, X costume designs are rad for the most part!

It was a lot less terrible than the original for the most part; though while the actual costume and armour designs themselves were improved, the cosmetic gear system, wider range of options for each character and casual clothing options helped as well. Hopefully at least the former makes it in here - it'll be interesting to see if they return to character-specific clothing like the first game.

It's not.

We've been through this before so let me make this very clear.

IT IS NOT.

image.php

artsi

I got damn hyped when I saw the title, but then I saw the trailer and main character design... Ugh.

I don't mind anime style and the other characters, but he's like mega man and it repulses me for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom