• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most insane detail you have seen in a game

SpacLock

bikeswzoc1.jpg

detailjnp35.png

You lose.

Didn't they actually take pictures of the tracks to use as/in textures somehow? Or something similar? That might make it less of a... well... detail.

System Shock had an outrageously advanced character physics system for 1994, for the sole purpose of weird small movement details. Your character's head tilts forward when you start to run, and jerks back a bit when you stop. If you run in a tight circle, you lean a bit towards the center. If you run into something or get shot, the part of your body that got hit recoils in the opposite direction.

I can't think of many FPSs that do that even today. Or any, really.

In Odin Sphere Leifthrasir whenever your character eats food out in the field they all have different animation when they finish.

Example: Mercedes licks her fingers, Gwendolyn covers her mouth as she finishes the last bits etc.

Completely meaningless thing few people probably notice and doesn't affect the game whatsoever but I thought it was funny.

nkarafo

The same happens in TW3, when Geralt uses Signs. I'm sure many people don't never paid attention to it.
Yeah.

But in the case of Metroid is more impressive to me because you can't normally see her hand since it's inside the canon.

They didn't even have to model it but not only they did, they even added those animations for each weapon.

LordKasual

Banned
Ignis's glasses having prescription comes to mind recently.
oZqYEwB.jpg

I know this is only because of the way the engine renders translucent surfaces, but the fact they applied it to his glasses is pretty awesome.

wd7M8Sn.gif

FFXV Muscle group jiggle

Individual muscle groups, or any large, fleshy part on a creature, have jiggle physics applied to them. It's hard to see without actually playing the game because most of the time it's pretty subtle, but when i noticed it easily became the coolest attention to animation detail i've seen in a while. It's easily noticeable on something like Titan because he's massive, but even the toes/neck of the Behemoth have slight physics applied to it.

FFXV is filled with alot of very detailed physics-assisted animation routines. I recall one video where Ignis and Prompto are in the car, Ignis moves his arm to grab the seat to reverse park and it hits Prompto's face, but the characters actually collide and move accordingly without clipping or looking super awkward.

There's another gif where someone managed to glitch the opening car push sequence and push Noctis away from the car, but his arms and hands still follow the car door rim as he's being pushed away.

keraj37

Oh the snow on the car windows in The Division is pretty hot too:

epfi02wtl1rqjm6vaqyg.gif

I din't like the game (I finished with level 26 after 25h of playing) but you are right - this game had one of the best visual details so far in gaming.

kubev

In Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Venus Weeds are watered with human blood, and Blue Venus Weeds are watered with demon blood (according to the Master Librarian's bestiary). When either one shoots projectiles, the projectiles that hit and stick into Alucard bloom into flowers. Very cool detail that took me years to notice.

Can someone detail the ice cubes?

In Metal Gear Solid 2 in the opening chapter you basically need to reach a location to progress the story. On the way you pass through a bar, and sitting on the bar counter-top is a glass with a bunch of ice cubes in it. If you shoot the glass it falls over, the ice cubes spill over the counter and if you stay there watching them, they slowly melt. It serves no purpose and most people would probably never notice it, but is an amazing little detail.

hughesta

Banned
I'm gonna go with the ice cubes as well. I think they also melt differently depending on how close they land to one another.

I was asking, hence the question mark but I think I read somewhere that if you lie on the ground in jail or in the Vulcan Raven boss arena for too long you can catch cold and start sneezing.

Don't know about MGS1 but you can definitely catch cold in the opening chapter of MGS2 if you hang out in the rain for too long.

What am I looking at here? You posted a picture of a building close up and far away. I can think of several games that have buildings both close up and far away.

The first one is a picture from Breitscheid in Adenau at the Nurburg Circuit. The second one isn't. It's a screenshot from an early GTS trailer.

PD also implemented that painting in Gran Turismo 5 and 6.

The thing is: When you drive around the track, it's impossible to see that painting on that wall. You basically need to stop on the bridge in Wehrseifen, look back and drive the car a little bit to the right so you can barely see it. And even then, you'd probably only appreciate this detail if you're familiar with the surroundings. I was born and grew up there.

royox

Post the best thing that took time and effort for the developer to make, despite knowing that most people will probably never notice.

Here's an example:

In Metroid Prime, the different weapons are presented on the visor by different hand gesture icons. Apparently, Samus changes the weapons of her hand canon using different hand gestures.

Well, she does indeed. If you use the X-Ray visor and aim at a dark spot, not only you can see her hand inside the cannon, you can even see her move her fingers and doing different gestures as you change weapons.

Good luck beating the above example.

VIqcVWj.gif

Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever OP.

dl77

In Uncharted 4 I never noticed until my 2nd playthrough that when you're driving with Sully through that town and being chased by the armoured vehicle that the petrol can at the back independently moves depending upon your driving!

Also, the way that sand bags leak sand and actually deflated once they've been shot.

Xion86

When I played Skyrim, I was on some quest and had to go talk to somebody in their home. On the way out, I was grabbing some items and accidentally STOLE a cup or something. Later on, I finished clearing a cave, weak as hell, overloaded with loot, and when I entered the overworld, three dudes accosted me and tried to kill me. I got the best of them and searched their bodies. There was a note from the lady whose cup I accidentally stole that basically put a hit out on me for taking her property. That wasn't nice.

So I went back to her town. I found any and everybody who had the same last name as her and I murdered them in the coldest of bloods. I collected each body and left them near her front door. Then I waited for her to find them. Unfortunately, she never noticed them, because she never left her house for whatever reason. So I snuck into her house late at night, murdered her husband or brother and threw him into the burning hearth. When she woke up, she looked at the hearth but didn't really react. I don't know if the AI glitched or she lost her mind, but after she saw it I just walked out confident in knowing that she knew that I ended her bloodline.

I liked Skyrim.

Well that was dark...

SomTervo

Similarly to OP, it was cool in Batman: Arkham City that the 'Joker' you see for more of the game is actually Clayface, and you can tell this by using X-Ray/Detective Vision to look at him. He doesn't have a skeleton.

On-topic: the MGS series and many of Naughty Dog's games are the ultimate examples of this.

In Uncharted 4 I love the way guns are handled. Long weapons actually have straps that the characters actually wrap around their bodies. But even more, if you get into a vehicle the character slots the gun down by their side vertically, and have bespoke animations for that getting into the vehicle from any angle.

Then there's the fact that mud actually dynamically sticks to your character, to objects, to car tires etc. You can roll in mud and it will be stuck on his back specifically, then after a while it will dry and change colour, then you can go in water and it will wash off.

In The Last of Us, blood actually rolls across models realistically. If you get your head bashed in while playing Joel, you can see blood actually rolling down his face across his nose and eyes while he screams to death.

Shit is just insane.

dl77

Another Metroid Prime detail I loved was that you could see Samus's face reflected in her visor when firing.

SomTervo

When I played Skyrim, I was on some quest and had to go talk to somebody in their home. On the way out, I was grabbing some items and accidentally STOLE a cup or something. Later on, I finished clearing a cave, weak as hell, overloaded with loot, and when I entered the overworld, three dudes accosted me and tried to kill me. I got the best of them and searched their bodies. There was a note from the lady whose cup I accidentally stole that basically put a hit out on me for taking her property. That wasn't nice.

So I went back to her town. I found any and everybody who had the same last name as her and I murdered them in the coldest of bloods. I collected each body and left them near her front door. Then I waited for her to find them. Unfortunately, she never noticed them, because she never left her house for whatever reason. So I snuck into her house late at night, murdered her husband or brother and threw him into the burning hearth. When she woke up, she looked at the hearth but didn't really react. I don't know if the AI glitched or she lost her mind, but after she saw it I just walked out confident in knowing that she knew that I ended her bloodline.

I liked Skyrim.

Not sure if this is an example of insane detail as much as evidence that you have a problem.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
In the Force Unleashed, when you approached a locked door, you could see Starkillers hand move as he opened it with the force.

Horns

I liked how electric cars in GTA V used electric (silent and no exhaust) until you floored it and they switched over to gas.

PulseONE

It's likely already been posted, but in GTAV after you turn off a car, you can still hear the engine ticking as it cools off

lionpants

I was pretty impressed by this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/R_Nikaido/status/731043177826680832

I mean, there's no reason to do that. And yet...
That's just the physics engine though. It happens when you slide down the slopes too. When anything touches it basically.

I think OP is referring to minor details that most people wouldn't notice.

It's still crazy detail though, and I definitely stopped to do a double take the first time I saw it. You just know a developer probably spent a week or 2 just getting that right.

Bunga

Uncharted 4 - I dunno why, but I was amazed that in the jeep sections where you had to attach a tow to certain pillars to pull bridges down etc that it wasn't just go over there and press triangle to attach it, you actually had to run around the post first to wrap it around AND then you had to actually jump over the cable if you needed to get over it. One of a huge amount of tiny details in that game. The little collection of rubble that would follow you down the sliding sections were awesome too.

In Witcher 3 if you cast Aard at water, it blows really cool dynamic ripples across the surface of the water.

Gestault

ElyvpY.gif

I mean it's not out yet, but all the physics stuff in the new zelda, including lightning being attracted by metal and stuff..

An...enemy attack knocking you back into a surface?

The Leonard Nimoy memorial space-station in Elite Dangerous was an unexpected joy in a stupidly big galaxy.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The metroid one and a lot of examples in here are pretty neat, but the ice cube one doesn't really get me.

It's very common practice to have cleanup with destructible objects. The most common methods out there are fading away, scaling to 0, or just making it disappear hoping the player is looking way. Keep in mind someone spent probably a few hours to days on working all the breakables in MGS2, and when they got to the ice they made a clever choice to use the scaling method very slowly since it sort of makes it look like it's melting.

It's not like Kojima and all had a meeting on realism and subversive ideas and decided to put a bucket of ice in the game that specifically had cubes explode out and melt when shot.

At least that's my guess.

kai3345

Banned
In Dead Rising 2, there's a boss named Slappy who rides around on roller skates with two flamethrowers. Normally you can just dodge his attacks and eventually he'll get tired, leaving you an opening to attack. However, on one run, I'd consumed a bunch of wine to heal myself and ended up getting sick, causing me to throw up every few seconds. At one point Slappy skated through my puddle of vomit and actually slipped and fell, giving me an opening to attack him.

When this first happened I had to pause the game, in shock of how insane that little detail was.

In addition in the same fight, you can put out his flames by shooting a water gun or fire extinguisher on him.

SomTervo

In Dead Rising 2, there's a boss named Slappy who rides around on roller skates with two flamethrowers. Normally you can just dodge his attacks and eventually he'll get tired, leaving you an opening to attack. However, on one run, I'd consumed a bunch of wine to heal myself and ended up getting sick, causing me to throw up every few seconds. At one point Slappy skated through my puddle of vomit and actually slipped and fell, giving me an opening to attack him.

When this first happened I had to pause the game, in shock of how insane that little detail was.

In addition in the same fight, you can put out his flames by shooting a water gun or fire extinguisher on him.

A very MGS sort of detail. Awesome.

The metroid one and a lot of examples in here are pretty neat, but the ice cube one doesn't really get me.

It's very common practice to have cleanup with destructible objects. The most common methods out there are fading away, scaling to 0, or just making it disappear hoping the player is looking way. Keep in mind someone spent probably a few hours to days on working all the breakables in MGS2, and when they got to the ice they made a clever choice to use the scaling method very slowly since it sort of makes it look like it's melting.

It's not like Kojima and all had a meeting on realism and subversive ideas and decided to put a bucket of ice in the game that specifically had cubes explode out and melt when shot.

Not a bad point, but remember that MGS 1-PW are all in small instances. IIRC nothing in the "level" is culled until you leave - at which point it's totally reset. Like nothing else in the room that you break or play with will disappear - but the ice will melt. It's a specific thing.

Still, you make a good point b

Arkham Knight's hallucinations. Take any midgame save, look at any billboard and rotate the camera around a few times. What was once a jewelry ad is now a lot more sinister.

lionpants

Ya, would be more impressive if little puddles of water formed. Then you'd know it was deliberate. :)

What am I looking at here? You posted a picture of a building close up and far away. I can think of several games that have buildings both close up and far away.[/QUOTE

I think they're alluding to the fact that the game (whatever it is) renders the artwork on the wall even though you'll probably drive past it at 100mph and never even notice it..... Thems the small details and precisely the point of this thread no?

Top Bottom