• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stalker GAMMA: You should play this

Tomeru

This is going to be me trying to get you to play this (as opposed to my previous lame lttp attempt, and sorry about formatting).

I discovered this diamond because I was fed up with my usual gaming content. Now, I never was into military sims or the likes, but over the last couple of months I became more interested in less hand holding games with more ""complex"" systems.

This game blew my mind. I cant stop thinking about it.

Its a mod pack for a mod for the stalker games. It connects all three into one big map. Since I never played those games, I can't comment on the story. There is a main quest that takes you across the map though. Its a single player survival shooter, so you'll have to manage things like hunger and sleep (among other things). You'll have to manage your health when you get hurt or dip your toes in radiation, and manage the state of your gear.

However, it is not as tedious as it sounds.

The amount of items this game have is absolutely bonkers. Foods or medicine, armor or weapons - the variety is astonishing, so you will never feel or think you are missing something.

And the crafting. Man oh man. It just works™️. You can buy food snd medicine or you craft it. There are basic ingredients to every item in thos catagories, and you build on top of them. This means there is no useless items - only items you have too much of. Everything has it's uses though, nothing is wasted.

Weapons and armor are a different story. Those you find off other stalkers. However, when you do (and you always do), those weapons are in bad condition, so you have to fix them by replacing the needed parts. After you repair a weapon, you just need to make sure its in top condition by cleaning it occasionally (a couple if clicks, nothing fancy). Same for armor. You can also kit your weapons with different sights snd attachments, and even upgrade their stats. You also need to buy/craft the ammo. Armor also goes through a similar process. Its so easy to get lost in this at first, but it's so easy to do once you understand it. And you understand it fast because its a core feature.

From what I know, its an updated engine of a 2007 game (someone will correct me I'm sure, thanks in advance). But this shit looks SO FUCKING GOOD - it even got its physics updated last week to have swaying grass and trees. The combination of this, normal chatter (looks like chat in mmos, but not obnoxious), roaming mutants and stalkers, occasipnal fire fights between those, and the sound effects makes the world feel really organic and alive (for a post chernobyl place). Realistic shooting mechanics, deep but straight forward survival mechanics, great crafting where you can use everything to your advantage, night and day cycle (the fucking HORROR), dark souls difficulty (don't ever think you are playing cod here), amazing AI (for the most part lmao) - everything it does it does so damn well 😲

Another big plus is the modability. Its already a mod pack (more than 440 mods), but you can keep changing it up.
You don't like it taking place in autumn? Make it spring. Don't like summer greenery? Make it snow all over. You want more guns? Add lots more guns. Want a different ui? Be able to buy guns? You csn change so many aspects to your liking, because the modding community for gamma is slive and fucking kicking.

This feels more triple A than many of the games we played. Especislly recently. And it just keeps getting better. Its got everything I never thought I wanted. If you like fps, and you want a more serious tone, you love to explore a fantastic and diverse open world, and if you'd like a little challenge - don't let the survival part of it to hold you back. And don't let your dreams be dreams and just do it.

Feast your eyes on some generic pics:

Top Bottom