• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most insane detail you have seen in a game

Ignis's glasses having prescription comes to mind recently.
oZqYEwB.jpg
What kind of fake ass wears glasses with no prescription?

creatchee

Not sure if this is an example of insane detail as much as evidence that you have a problem.

I stole the cup of an inconsequential NPC whose very existence is only to make a town feel like it is more real and they tried to ghost me for it with hired thugs. Also, that same vengeful NPC has an entire family of inconsequential NPCs that also serve no purpose to the story of the game except for me to revisit the wrongs inflicted on me at an exponential level (if that even happens). I mean, that has to be some kind of high level, if not insane.

SomTervo

Halo shotgun shells have a hippo on them.You have to use the sniper zoom to see it.

That's a bored artist, not attention to detail.

I stole the cup of an inconsequential NPC whose very existence is only to make a town feel like it is more real and they tried to ghost me for it with hired thugs. Also, that same vengeful NPC has an entire family of inconsequential NPCs that also serve no purpose to the story of the game except for me to revisit the wrongs inflicted on me at an exponential level (if that even happens). I mean, that has to be some kind of high level, if not insane.

Yeah fair enough - you just spent a lot of your post talking about killing the shit out of people, haha.

bomblord1

Banned
Post the best thing that took time and effort for the developer to make, despite knowing that most people will probably never notice.

Here's an example:

In Metroid Prime, the different weapons are presented on the visor by different hand gesture icons. Apparently, Samus changes the weapons of her hand canon using different hand gestures.

Well, she does indeed. If you use the X-Ray visor and aim at a dark spot, not only you can see her hand inside the cannon, you can even see her move her fingers and doing different gestures as you change weapons.

Good luck beating the above example.

Going with your Metroid Prime Motif there is a fully rendered representation of the 4 beams on the inside of the arm cannon that the player literally will never see.

SpaceWolf

Banned
When I played Skyrim, I was on some quest and had to go talk to somebody in their home. On the way out, I was grabbing some items and accidentally STOLE a cup or something. Later on, I finished clearing a cave, weak as hell, overloaded with loot, and when I entered the overworld, three dudes accosted me and tried to kill me. I got the best of them and searched their bodies. There was a note from the lady whose cup I accidentally stole that basically put a hit out on me for taking her property. That wasn't nice.

So I went back to her town. I found any and everybody who had the same last name as her and I murdered them in the coldest of bloods. I collected each body and left them near her front door. Then I waited for her to find them. Unfortunately, she never noticed them, because she never left her house for whatever reason. So I snuck into her house late at night, murdered her husband or brother and threw him into the burning hearth. When she woke up, she looked at the hearth but didn't really react. I don't know if the AI glitched or she lost her mind, but after she saw it I just walked out confident in knowing that she knew that I ended her bloodline.

I liked Skyrim.

You're not planning on shooting up any high schools soon, by any chance?

MGSV has to have the most gameplay details in a video game this generation, theirs just too many examples to pick. One that sticks out to me is if you throw a grenade in a crowd of soldiers, one of them will dive for it to save the others.

Jonboy

It's funny, before I even opened the thread, I was going to say Metroid Prime. Aside from the one mentioned in the OP, another one I loved was the smoke you could see rising from the arm cannon after firing your beam several times in quick succession. Also loved the rain hitting the visor/arm cannon.

Prime really was ahead of its time in so many ways. I still remember reading the EGM when one of the reviews said something to the effect of "It's like the best game from 10 years into the future fell into a time warp."

bomblord1

Banned
It's funny, before I even opened the thread, I was going to say Metroid Prime. Aside from the one mentioned in the OP, another one I loved was the smoke you could see rising from the arm cannon after firing your beam several times in quick succession. Also loved the rain hitting the visor/arm cannon.

Prime really was ahead of its time in so many ways. I still remember reading the EGM when one of the reviews said something to the effect of "It's like the best game from 10 years into the future fell into a time warp."

I remember reading that too lmao. Someone used that quote to convince me to try it when I wasn't interested.

When you shot the top of a barrel in Timesplitters 2, wine would pour out for a little while. If you shot another time below the first hole, there would come out more. You could also simply shoot at the bottom first, which emptied the whole barrel. Further holes would remain dry, naturally.

danmaku

In Dead Rising 2, there's a boss named Slappy who rides around on roller skates with two flamethrowers. Normally you can just dodge his attacks and eventually he'll get tired, leaving you an opening to attack. However, on one run, I'd consumed a bunch of wine to heal myself and ended up getting sick, causing me to throw up every few seconds. At one point Slappy skated through my puddle of vomit and actually slipped and fell, giving me an opening to attack him.

When this first happened I had to pause the game, in shock of how insane that little detail was.

In addition in the same fight, you can put out his flames by shooting a water gun or fire extinguisher on him.

I didn't know that, but I tried to make him slip with marbles and it didn't work :-/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A neat little detail in Donkey Kong Country 3's Krematoa a.k.a. Lost World.

When you beat all the levels and summon K. Roolenstein's sub, the water goes from blue to red giving the whole map a red tint. However, it's not just the map that gets tinted, returning to a level in the Lost World reveals that they too received a red tint.

MGSV has to have the most gameplay details in a video game this generation, theirs just too many examples to pick. One that sticks out to me is if you throw a grenade in a crowd of soldiers, one of them will dive for it to save the others.

Love this kind of stuff. Kojima is the king of details.

krang

The gibs in Blood.

Struggling to find a video or gif, but you could stab an NPC with a pitchfork repeatedly, until it fell apart, then you could keep stabbing the gibs themselves, and so on. Apart from the eyes, which (after forking the crap out of the head) if you tried to stab them shot off into the distance like trying to stab a cherry tomato on a plate.

shandy706

That takes quite a bit of effort. Details like this is what I like.

Well...actually...it doesn't take much effort..haha. You just set that object/surface as reflective. I mean you can change other properties for a better look..but it's often just a few clicks to have reflections on anything now days.

Examples like melting ice and physics based stuff is on another level effort wise.

Medal of honor did that like 20 years ago. It was crazy on ps1

Ragdoll? Insane detail?

Loot in Zelda must be blowing people's mind as well.

There was a guy in the tree house thread freaking out about getting a side quest from just talking to an NPC

nOoblet16

Eh? I agree that Zelda looks really cool and it looks like it's still a cut above most open world games in terms of interactivity but why are we acting as if it's doing "physics stuff" beyond anything we've ever witnessed?

We've witnessed lots of interactive objects, dense foliage, dynamic TOD, destructible trees/sheds, fire propagation, wind and weather physics, extremely accurate soft body physics for foliage, and even foliage regeneration while being open world all in one game nearly a decade ago in Farcry 2. Some of these are stuff that Zelda doesn't even attempts.

zoukka

You can kiss pin-up posters in MGS2.

I can probably come up with hundreds of similar details from the MGS games just the top of my head.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Eh? I agree that Zelda looks really cool and it looks like it's still a cut above most open world games in terms of interactivity but why are we acting as if it's doing "physics stuff" beyond anything we've ever witnessed?

We've witnessed lots of interactive objects, dense foliage, dynamic TOD, destructible trees/sheds, fire propagation, wind and weather physics, extremely accurate soft body physics for foliage, and even foliage regeneration while being open world all in one game nearly a decade ago in Farcry 2.
Even then I bet Quantum crushes everything when it comes to Lighting systems.

I mean, I've posted the image a few times before (Nintendo vs other open world games) but the funny thing is after the Swiitch reveal its become reality.

I really like its artstyle tho.
What about the incredible innovation of unlocking parts of the map by climbing towers? A gaming first for sure!

TOWERS!?

Brb calling Ubisoft lawyers. Clearly a breach of IP and Copyrights.
Pretty much MGS2, MGS 5 and ND games the thread
Forgot to add GTAV there. The fact that engines make "cooling" sound after driving them and parking is crazy detail to me.

Adaren

Platinum has a blog post detailing the angelic writing on Sapientia, one of the bosses in Bayonetta. The "no step" on the wings gets me, since there's no way you'd ever be able to see that in the actual game.

Bayonetta in general has a lot of angelic / demonic writing on stuff, and all of it translates into something. Even the ones that just appear briefly, like the angelic / demonic magic circles. The witches' Umbran Watches also have their names and birth dates inscribed on them.

Also, this might be commonly known, but all of the angelic / demonic language in the games is actually Enochian, which is an invented "angelic" language from the 16th century.

Shenmue.

Every npc has their own voices dialog, background story and life in the game. For example, one day you may meet npc1 at the shops, at 9am picking up some food before heading to work. At 5pm u see them meeting up with their friends for drinks, before heading home.

Npc2 may be studying and gets tired and goes for a walk around town. At christmas/new years , you'll see them go shops to buy presents for their loved ones.

Npc3 is kool one day, but the next day is having girlfriens problems etc

You can follow each individual npc around and observe their life fully as it changes on a day to day bases. Insane detail.

Snake in MGS2 could actually catch a cold if you stayed outside for too long. He would sneeze, attracting guards' attention. You had to cure it with medicine. You can even get a codec call by Otacon telling you about this.

Top Bottom