• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most insane detail you have seen in a game

NYR94

In MGS3, after you fall into a pitch black cave, if you let the game run Snake's eyes will eventually adjust to the lack of light and you'll be able to see a bit. '

Also if you throw a chaff grenade the light on enemy radios and set TNTs will flash different colors.

And the handkerchief that can be used to knock out enemies doesn't work on The Fury (because of his helmet).

When you're wearing the Raikov disguise you can go anywhere in Groznyj Grad and fool the enemy soldiers, but not the dogs who will smell that you're not really Raikov if you get too close.

Vultures in the game will feed on dead soldiers. If you kill and eat a vulture that has been pecking at a dead enemy you'll recover more stamina than you would from a vulture that hasn't eaten anyone.

Gestault

Actually, I'd almost forgotten about the random lab setup in Quantum Break with the clacker-balls set up for different time-frames. I wish I'd taken a video. It's one of those things that's just neat to look at.

363ScreenshotOriginal16.png

I think the point was that hitting the tree did extra damage as opposed to just ragdolling for the damage of the attack.

I'm fairly certain this was the case in Saints Row 2 (2008), if not in Saints Row (2006) even.

It's truly nothing new or unique. I'm in agreement with others here - it absolutely doesn't belong in this thread.

Snake in MGS2 could actually catch a cold if you stayed outside for too long. He would sneeze, attracting guards' attention. You had to cure it with medicine. You can even get a codec call by Otacon telling you about this.

To me, that's not attention to detail, that's a video game trope that's annoying as hell - events happening at lightning speed that are very slow in the real world, and yet meant to add "realism".

No one catches a cold and starts sneezing in 5 minutes. It takes the better part of a day, at least. Attention to detail would be Snake sneezing in a later mission, if you spent too much time in the rain on the 1st one.

It's like when video games have flashlights with batteries that last seconds. In reality, a flashlight with new batteries in it would probably last longer than the duration of the game. I give more respect to games with infinite flashlights than ones with limited batteries.

thisisamul

Neo Member
Actually, I'd almost forgotten about the random lab setup in Quantum Break with the clacker-balls set up for different time-frames. I wish I'd taken a video. It's one of those things that's just neat to look at.

363ScreenshotOriginal16.png

Would love to see some video of this - also game looks hella purdy, which I had an Xbox One to play it :)

VanWinkle

Uncharted 4 is just chock full of amazing details, many of which have been shown in here. That game just constantly blew me away.

U2NUMB

Alright Gaf hear me out here and I know I might be alone but I am going to take this subject and apply it to a full game. I play a certain "game" every night and have for nearly a year and it still blows me away.

The little details in this world are amazing to me. It has the challenge of trying to replicate real places and it does so on a level I have not seen with this scale.

The game is American Truck Simulator. From the sun going up and down to the fog rolling in as you drive over the golden gate bridge this game nails the feeling of America and it is not even by a US dev.

The landscapes are so full of history and yet the roads have character to them and when you pull into a gas station you see the ice machine in full detail with an empty carton next to it on the ground. The amount of details with every building considering many you fly by at 70mph is something to be commended. So I grabbed some pics that show some of the variety and quality and again .. consider the scale compared to other games. Currently they only have 3 states with more to come.

Special thanks to ETS2 as it paved the way and the latest France DLC looks amazing but I have no context since I am in the US as to how well it is replicating the real thing.

So that is my pitch.. I know it has no chance to be mentioned beyond me but I feel it needed to be noted for what they have done.

1.jpg

Large version

2.jpg

Large version

3.jpg

Large version

4.jpg

Large version

5.jpg

Large version

6.jpg

Large version

Twookie

in MGS3 you can kill a boss by turning the game off and wait 7 days
or you can just change the internal clock
and the boss will die of age. If you come back earlier than 7 days the boss will instead catch you.

you can also kill him the first time you see him after a cutscene if you are quick enough.

Order

When I played Skyrim, I was on some quest and had to go talk to somebody in their home. On the way out, I was grabbing some items and accidentally STOLE a cup or something. Later on, I finished clearing a cave, weak as hell, overloaded with loot, and when I entered the overworld, three dudes accosted me and tried to kill me. I got the best of them and searched their bodies. There was a note from the lady whose cup I accidentally stole that basically put a hit out on me for taking her property. That wasn't nice.

So I went back to her town. I found any and everybody who had the same last name as her and I murdered them in the coldest of bloods. I collected each body and left them near her front door. Then I waited for her to find them. Unfortunately, she never noticed them, because she never left her house for whatever reason. So I snuck into her house late at night, murdered her husband or brother and threw him into the burning hearth. When she woke up, she looked at the hearth but didn't really react. I don't know if the AI glitched or she lost her mind, but after she saw it I just walked out confident in knowing that she knew that I ended her bloodline.

I liked Skyrim.
what the hell

jennetics

What do you mean? When did that happen?

Remember that bit after you leave Big Shell and are being tortured by Solidus on Arsenal Gear? If you have any cold drinks, your ice'll melt cause of those long-ass cutscenes.

Least that's what I think it's in reference to...

Remember that bit after you leave Big Shell and are being tortured by Solidus on Arsenal Gear? If you have any cold drinks, your ice'll melt cause of those long-ass cutscenes.

Least that's what I think it's in reference to...

Haha. Nice! It's been a long time. MGS games are filled with such details.

ThankeeSai

Some great choices :)

Another Witcher 3 one here - what Geralt sheathes a sword, he pushes the sheath out with his left hand to make sheathing it easier.

WindingDeadIberianbarbel-size_restricted.gif

Floody

TEHGnNB.gif

Also, notice how the plants/leaves react.

ND really did some incredible work with the in-game animations for Uncharted 4, so many little things that most probably won't even see, yet all at a very high standard that can flow seamlessly to dozens of other animations at a rapid pace, such a massive jump from the already great animations in TLoU. Really can't wait to see what they achieve with TLoU 2.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Anything in Uncharted or The Last of Us

Anything in MGS Games

Also Anything in The Division. Which is absolutely insane, especially for open world.

Nathan Drake's ear passing light through and changing color.

In Uncharted 4 obviously.

That subtle second. And then boom. When you see it, the first thing that comes to your mind is.....

How the hell can it be so perfect?

The visual detail in Final Fantasy XIII still impresses me to this day. The coolest detail for me was if you pan the camera close to a character's face you can actually move their eyeballs along with the camera.

Loxley

I remember being blown away when I realized in Max Payne 1 that every single bullet was actually a rendered projectile, which is what allowed you to dodge them. Thankfully it's something every entry in the trilogy has kept.

Speaking pf Max Payne, MP3 probably has the best weapon details/animations of any shooter I've ever played.

UgVDbiy.gif

KDR_11k

Hitting an enemy with an arrow in Wind Waker and he gets knocked back, hits the wall and actually flattens against it instead of simply resuming the fall animation. That was before ragdolls, nowadays that's of course expected because the physics engine does that by itself but in WW they actually added an animation for that.

Speaking pf Max Payne, MP3 probably has the best weapon details/animations of any shooter I've ever played.

UgVDbiy.gif

A lot of games have details like that which you can only see in slowdown. E.g. if you look at the explosions in Total Annihilation normally you think they just start as a yellow sphere but pause it and you can actually see that they painted all the little flames bursting outwards.

Hypron

I feel like you're going to have to explain this one.

You couldn't see just how much work went into the textures until the PC version released and Durante released his patch. I don't think it belongs in this thread, since the textures aren't that impressive compared to other games, but it was interesting to see that the artists put so much work in something that people wouldn't even be able to properly appreciate due to the sub-hd resolution of the original version of the game.

Menthuss

MGSV has to have the most gameplay details in a video game this generation, theirs just too many examples to pick. One that sticks out to me is if you throw a grenade in a crowd of soldiers, one of them will dive for it to save the others.

Pretty sure this doesn't actually happen. I've thrown plenty of grenades at enemies and not once have I seen them do this. I feel like this is a myth that started when someone linked that gif from Ground Zeroes where the player tosses a frag towards a bunch of soldiers. IIRC that one soldier didn't actually dive onto the grenade, he just dove towards the grenade because he couldn't go anywhere else.

Gestault

A lot of games have details like that which you can only see in slowdown. E.g. if you look at the explosions in Total Annihilation normally you think they just start as a yellow sphere but pause it and you can actually see that they painted all the little flames bursting outwards.

I imagine they're talking about the firing action more than the muzzle flash. Look at the next round transition into the chamber. That looks a whole lot like the real thing.

Metro Last Light Cloth Physx.

Just to head off an impending comment: Yes, many of us know this isn't a real-time animation process. It doesn't matter. It's incredibly well animated.

KarmaCow

Melting ice cubes in Metal Gear Solid 2

I have only skimmed the thread but yea, this is the winner for me. Unlike most of the examples, it's hidden behind so many layers of obscurity (in the Tanker level, in a corner off to the side, requires that you look in first person, and you need to spend a while to actually notice them shrinking) that it's amazing people noticed it, much less that it programmed.

dragos495

somebody please, for the love of all that is holy, post the moment when drake starts the engine in the jeep in uc4 and his warm hand leaves a condensation mark on the metal near the ignition key!!!!

oh and when you're in the attic, light behind you makes your ears translucent, just like in real life!

Genryu

Banned
I have only skimmed the thread but yea, this is the winner for me. Unlike most of the examples, it's hidden behind so many layers of obscurity (in the Tanker level, in a corner off to the side, requires that you look in first person, and you need to spend a while to actually notice them shrinking) that it's amazing people noticed it, much less that it programmed.

Don't forget about HOW they melt, as well. The ice cubes that are closer to each other melt slower than the ones that are isolated.

Top Bottom