• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 1st Party studio closures are killing entire genres on the platforn

Kthulhu

Guerilla didnt make a AAA game, they were forced to make a Vita game then a PSVR game. They werent given a real chance to succeed.

If they had made a PS4 game and it bombed then i wouldnt be nearly as upset about it. For instance, Evolution is a talented studio but they fucked up bad with Driveclub. The closure of the studio was understandable.

Didn't Sony put out a press statement that said the studio was losing them money? I agree that laying everyone off is a little extreme, but if it ain't making money it doesn't have much reason to exist.

Guerilla didnt make a AAA game, they were forced to make a Vita game then a PSVR game. They werent given a real chance to succeed.

If they had made a PS4 game and it bombed then i wouldnt be nearly as upset about it. For instance, Evolution is a talented studio but they fucked up bad with Driveclub. The closure of the studio was understandable.

These businesses aren't run like softball teams where everyone gets an at bat. It's not about fairness. Sony closed that studio because they no longer felt it would be worth the cost to own and operate them. It sucks really bad for the people that worked there, but it's the way the business world operates.

Gamers are killing genres by not buying games. Huge groups of gamers are only buying GTA, FIFA, CoD and Battlefield. Games are more expensive to make than ever which means they need to sell. The examples of new IP that didn't sell enough despite their quality are legion. It can bury IPs, genres and studios.

AudioEppa

They still released Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian despite knowing that neither would set the charts on fire. Detroit Become Human and Until Dawn are also good examples as Sony is the only developer pushing adventure games with AAA production values.

I hate to be selfish like this, but if they can't do it all, I'm happy it's games like UD and Detroit that continue on being released.

Donthizz#

I'm still questioning Yoshida's accomplishment regarding Sony's first party offering.

It feels like ever since he became in charge, Sony has been trimming a lot down and the most successful games like Naughty Dog's are just them doing what they want to do.

I also find his studio closure to be questionable for some of them.

ahh.. it comes back to Shu in the end. I have mixed feelings on the subject to be honest.

GG Cambridge should not have been put to work on a VR game after what they accomplished with KZ mercenary.

on the other hand

he green-lit Horizon

pswii60

Evolution delivered a racing game an entire year late, and even then it still wasn't finished. It wasn't any surprise when their closure was announced.

ahh.. it comes back to Shu in the end. I have mixed feelings on the subject to be honest.

GG Cambridge should not have been put to work on a VR game after what they accomplished with KZ mercenary.

on the other hand

he green-lit Horizon

Why not? They needed VR content for their new platform, and by all accounts, RIGS was a decent game, it just didn't sell or gain much traction. It's not personal.

These businesses aren't run like softball teams where everyone gets an at bat. It's not about fairness. Sony closed that studio because they no longer felt it would be worth the cost to own and operate them. It sucks really bad for the people that worked there, but it's the way the business world operates.

Thats fine, and i have the right to criticize them for not properly utilizing a talented studio.

hawk2025

You guys can't complain about Sony not taking risks in one breath and then complain that essentially they took too many risks with Guerilla by having them support brand new platforms in the next.

Do we want to avoid studio shakeups, or do we want more risks?

There's a tradeoff we can't ignore.

DFox

The middle tier is dying out. Happens every where not just Sony. THQ & Crytek are good examples. I believe Sony as publisher is investing there resources multiple smaller games to fil the gap between there marque titles.

10 games with Housemarque since 2007 for example.

Well, the problem is sales. People aren't buying these games so they get shuttered.

Also, if entire genres are being killed off as you say' its because no one else is making them.

red720

I agree with the sentiment here. I like when first party development behaves like a public broadcaster, filling genre niches that are not served by commercial broadcasters. While I enjoy blockbuster first party shooters and whatever they don't seem like the sort of think that would be lacking if it were left up to 3rd party publishers.

I think in the past Sony has been better at behaving like a public broadcaster than Microsoft. Midway through last generation, when they had a large marketshare, it seemed MS was shutting down studios that couldn't offer ROI similar to Gears or Halo games (Ensemble comes to mind). Now Sony has the lead and it seems like they are behaving in the same way.

I guess their logic is either that they don't need to invest in these smaller games to attract relatively small numbers of customers or that there is good enough 3rd party support to fill all the genre gaps in their lineup.

I think is absolutely correct. Sony has traditionally relied on third parties if I'm not mistaken.

It's absolutely wrong though. They did rely on third party support at first but even back then, Sony were consistently building up their first party and the PS3 lineup was the end result of that work. Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla and Polyphony didn't just come out of nowhere.

Elfstruck

I am perfectly capable of differentiating positive from normative arguments.

As a positive matter, I don't know what's profitable and what isn't.

As a normative matter, I see studio closures as possibly impacting variety, and I don't like it.

It's not my place to pretend I'm in charge of Sony. I understand why they closed studios. It doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't analyze its impact on their gaming portfolio.

Ok, fair enough. But for your second point, just because Sony is restructuring their Europe division doesn't mean they are not making new games from that division. As for GG Cambridge, when was the last console project that they work on? We don't even know if they are working on anything for PS4, since they are a small studio. For Evolution, they screwed up their chance with Driveclub, a generic driving game, when Sony already has their trumph card, GT. So saying that it impact their gaming portfolio is a strech.

Shirow

Banned
Gamers are killing genres by not buying games. Huge groups of gamers are only buying GTA, FIFA, CoD and Battlefield. Games are more expensive to make than ever which means they need to sell. The examples of new IP that didn't sell enough despite their quality are legion. It can bury IPs, genres and studios.
It kinda goes both ways with publishers as well, it's just the current state of gaming makes current AAA games like the ones you mentioned take too much of anyone's time to play anything else really.

Hell I still hit up BF4 constantly and that game came out years ago. To be honest the only way to play tons of varied games these days and support different genres is by going indie most of the time and stick to single player as much as you can. Just because a gamer plays kart games doesn't mean they don't play COD too know what I mean.

Hell just play a Moba and you might miss a whole gen easy.

I agree with the sentiment here. I like when first party development behaves like a public broadcaster, filling genre niches that are not served by commercial broadcasters. While I enjoy blockbuster first party shooters and whatever they don't seem like the sort of think that would be lacking if it were left up to 3rd party publishers.

I think in the past Sony has been better at behaving like a public broadcaster than Microsoft. Midway through last generation, when they had a large marketshare, it seemed MS was shutting down studios that couldn't offer ROI similar to Gears or Halo games (Ensemble comes to mind). Now Sony has the lead and it seems like they are behaving in the same way.

I guess their logic is either that they don't need to invest in these smaller games to attract relatively small numbers of customers or that there is good enough 3rd party support to fill all the genre gaps in their lineup.

But they are sort of doing that. There isn't a lot out there like Uncharted or The Last of Us. That is a lot of what allowed those games to succeed and stand out. Right now what you are seeing a lot from third parties is a lot of multiplayer action games and a lot of emergent "twitch ready" type games. Sony isn't really chasing that. You could argue that Horizon is maybe in that Ubisoft/open world mode, but outside of that Sony isn't trying to compete in that already crowded space, and it's probably the right move.

Sony had incredible third party exclusives on PS1 and PS2, but on PS3 their first party went hard in the paint, imo Sony was the best publisher last gen. It was incredible to watch how hard Playstation fought back when their backs were against the wall.

I still consider Sony a top 3 publisher easy (probably behind only Nintendo) but they are downsizing their first party. The only question is how small is their first party going to get?

Im worried about Bend and Media Molecule in particular.

Sony is no Sega. PlayStation game diversity has declined since PS2. 80% of their games are now "shootie, shootie, zombie, zombie". Shooting people. Killing zombies. Or both.

The whole game industry suffered when Sega fell.

If I want game diversity today, I play on Nintendo systems.

RPGam3r

Sorry for those that liked those series/genre. But I do not care, especially for anything resembling kart racing cause I only need Mario Kart for that.

Sony is no Sega. PlayStation game diversity has declined since PS2. 80% of their games are now "shootie, shootie, zombie, zombie". Shooting people. Killing zombies. Or both.

Yeah, when I had to take Trico out the back 'Old Yeller' style and put him down, I realised how many unnecessary shooters are released by Sony.

Yeah, when I had to take Trico out the back 'Old Yeller' style and put him down, I realised how many unnecessary shooters are released by Sony.
Did you miss the 80%? How long did it take them to make the game again? It almost didn't see the light of day and you won't see another. Same goes for Until Dawn. Sony will give that studio some goddamn zombie shooter.

Shirow

Banned
The only question is how small is their first party going to get?

Im worried about Bend and Media Molecule in particular.
Smaller hopefully, it will suck at first but honestly in today's age exclusives don't matter as much as GAF makes them out to be. I play Xbox only this gen and don't care about any particular systems exclusives really. There are way too many good games coming out everywhere. But that's not why I say it thou.

One of my favorite devs ever on Sony are insomniac, and I'm super happy they never let themselves be bought because of they did, they would of gone under as well. I'd rather have any dev have control of their own future and survive rather than live of the will of some parent companies circumstances.

Bend, Evo and media molecule would any of their games more of a fighting chance of they were allowed to be even just on PC. Same shit with other devs who went under on other platforms. But some people won't see it that way because they would rather have "lists" to pull out of their ass for forum fights rather than their favorite games being played on different platforms.

Wait wait wait, weren't you just in that MS thread talking about how only Nintendo and Sony filled creative voids in the industry and MS needed to hop off the train, and now you're saying only Nintendo does?

What?

X-Factor

Meh Motorstorm is mediocre.
Mario Kart is on Nintendo platforms and the Mario Kart series is substantially superior in every way.

No point in keeping 1st Party Studios that are not profitable open in any kind of real world business operation.

I think Media Molecule might be next because Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway bombed in sales and Dreams is likely to be a flop.

Killzone - shooting folks
Last of us - zombie shooter
Uncharted - shooter with zombies
Ratchet and clank - shooting shit
Bloodborne - zombies
Days gone - shooting zombies
Second son - getting shot at
The order - shooting shit
Until dawn - zombies
God of war - will have zombies

Leaving...

Knack
Resogun
Horizon - robots instead of zombies and a bow instead of a gun
Tearaway

What am I missing?

And that doesn't even include multi-platform games!

Usobuko

Banned
It's like Pokemon Go, no one can do it and attain the success like them.

There are only certain IP that does well in certain genres, sales wise. Kart Racing and Smash equivalent without the strength of mascots is a really hard sell.

They are better off channeling the resources to other genres.

abbyabs

are you saying that your not happy about the current and upcoming line up of playstation exclusives?

Im happy but its not like the good old days, Resistance series, Motorstorm, Warhawk, Getaway,Wipeout..

Yes we are getting Wipeout HD remake but they closed down Liverpool studios, so I assume no new wipeout.

Some of their experimenting last gen just ended in failure. They have to acknowledge that just as much as gamers do. From a karting perspective, LBPK and Modnation both look terrible visually. Just look at what Nintendo did with Mario Kart 8, a game that isn't on much more powerful hardware, compared to those two. MK8 is visually consistent and flatout gorgeous aside from the jaggies. It's also a game that runs at 60fps. Yes, it also has frame pacing, but those other two games run at 30fps with framerate drops. Why the hell is that?

The tracks also aren't anywhere near as fun. Sure, a major part of those is in creating tracks, but you also should have great tracks on disc from the start. In general the games were really just a mess. Nintendo basically has the formula distilled to its purest form and those other games missed the point. I think in many ways Crash Team Racing was the last non-Mario Kart game that got it right. Although Diddy Kong Racing did a lot right as well.

With that said, I don't htink they're scaling development back as much as some fear. Yoshida was recently asked about 2017 and said this

”We're working on a great number of still unannounced titles. Look forward to their announcements."

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atlus-sq...re-2017-ambitions-famitsu-dengeki-playstation

This is especially notabole because after PSX there were some people in the first party thread speculating that we may have seen all of Sony's in development games aside from whatever Sucker Punch is working on.

Some additional comments from Sony Japan producers

”While I can't say any details yet, we're also moving forward with the creation of ambitious new titles and new title concepts at the same time, so please continue to support Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio in 2017."

”Since behind the scenes activities have been ongoing since Bloodborne, I hope this will be a year that bears the fruit of the things we've built upon so far."

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/4gamer-interviews-japanese-creators-2017-ambitions#XQyikEy44EWljt9H.99

Unknown?

I agree with you about Wip3out as a series, but even as a huge fan, Omega looks like a quick and dirty port to shut fans up. "Here. Take it and go. And...please stop sending us letters, Mister Dufresne."

A port of Wip3out HD/Fury with 2048 courses thrown in. Yay.
Wasn't that what HD/Fury were in the first place? They couldn't even make one freaking original game for the PS3, it was just a remake of some tracks from the PSP. I loved the game but they really shit the bed when it came to a decent output.

Some of their experimenting last gen just ended in failure. They have to acknowledge that just as much as gamers do. From a karting perspective, LBPK and Modnation both look terrible visually. Just look at what Nintendo did with Mario Kart 8, a game that isn't on much more powerful hardware, compared to those two. MK8 is visually consistent and flatout gorgeous aside from the jaggies. It's also a game that runs at 60fps. Yes, it also has frame pacing, but those other two games run at 30fps with framerate drops. Why the hell is that?

The tracks also aren't anywhere near as fun. Sure, a major part of those is in creating tracks, but you also should have great tracks on disc from the start. In general the games were really just a mess. Nintendo basically has the formula distilled to its purest form and those other games missed the point. I think in many ways Crash Team Racing was the last non-Mario Kart game that got it right. Although Diddy Kong Racing did a lot right as well.

With that said, I don't htink they're scaling development back as much as some fear. Yoshida was recently asked about 2017 and said this

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atlus-sq...re-2017-ambitions-famitsu-dengeki-playstation

This is especially notabole because after PSX there were some people in the first party thread speculating that we may have seen all of Sony's in development games aside from whatever Sucker Punch is working on.

Some additional comments from Sony Japan producers

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/4gamer-interviews-japanese-creators-2017-ambitions#XQyikEy44EWljt9H.99
Yeah I think they're just restructuring and not really downsizing. Getting rid of unproductive teams.

CamHostage

Kart racing is a genre that sells literally millions upon millions of Nintendo consoles and whilst I know it never came close to Mario Kart levels of success, the Motorstorm series from Evolution was effectively the kart racer for Sony platforms...

But Motorstorm does not sell mullions upon millions on Sony consoles. Not Motorstorm 1, not Motorstorm Pacific Rift, not Motorstorm Apocalypse, not Motorstorm Arctic Edge, not Mostorstorm RC. So

Socom pioneered online multiplayer on consoles with that gameplay and now that kind of game is totally absent from the console space because of the closure of Zipper.

Ando it is also totally absent because of the changing interest of the fanbase. They are saying with their dollars that they want Call of Duty and to a lesser extent Battlefield, and are saying no to more complicated and technical shooter experiences these days. I would have liked to have seen one more SOCOM to prove otherwise (especially since SOCOM 4 was more the former than the latter true-SOCOM,) but the absence of any successful hardcore military shooter in years and years seems to show where the gamers are at.

If Sony is not planning to acquire new studios and create either similar games or new games in similarly underrepresented genres on the PS4 then I feel is PS4 owners are going to be missing out hugely on what could have been.

By definition, sure. But they can always hire a studio to make those games, or if a third party wants to make it then they're open to it as well. Sony didn't want to be in the futuristic racer market anymore, and boom -- a half-dozen Wipeout clones (several of which involve original Wipeout designers) as well as a new official remake. SOCOM also almost was resurrected-by-clone with H-Hour, but sadly that project fell apart. Sony has also contracted companies to make Fat Princess and LBP follow-ups, and resurrected Shadow of the Beast independently. Sony don't need to own the company to make the game.

The days of the platform maker being the end-all-be-all lead producer for a console seem to be behind us. The market is now open for others to fill those holes, and Sony keeping open studios just to farm niche markets seems an outdated model (though a model I wish still existed.)

Did you miss the 80%? How long did it take them to make the game again? It almost didn't see the light of day and you won't see another. Same goes for Until Dawn. Sony will give that studio some goddamn zombie shooter.
The fact that it took so long yet Sony still bothered to release it should tell you all you need to know.

RexNovis

Banned
Nothing to do with Brexit. If anything the EU made things worse for UK devs. See here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22185476

They eventually agreed but only if games pass a 'culture test' which really hampers the creative freedoms. Once out EU maybe UK can ditch the requirements.

Test:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/film-industry...ames/summary-points-cultural-test-video-games

Well that's fascinating to read. Thanks for sharing that I had no idea. If brexit really was going to help lower the cost of development in UK studios though surely that would've factored into the consideration before closing Cambridge studios. Maybe it still wasn't enough?

Evilisk

I wouldn't assign blame to Sony for "genre killing". It's true that canceling those games leaves nothing in the pipeline for some genres, but the market is dictated by what people are buying. Sony (or MS or Nintendo) is oftentimes either responding to low sales or it's an entirely different issue with that developer.

This

Just look at the output of first party/SIE owned RPG's from the PS1 to now

Elfstruck

Bloodborne - zombies
Until dawn - zombies

Leaving...

Knack
Resogun
Tearaway

What am I missing?

If this isn't trolling at this point, I don't know what is.

Snakeyes

55 million PS4s sold at $400 and hundreds of millions of games sold. Literally billions in revenue. And they shut down GG Cambridge. Thanks Kaz!
How many of those 55 million were bought to play Sony's games as opposed to the big third-party hitters? How many of those hundreds of millions of games sold were first or second party?

Aside from Gran Turismo on the PS1 and PS2, PlayStation systems were never really defined by their first-party lineups - third-parties always did most of the heavy-lifting. I'd even say that SCE only found a type of game it excels in (cinematic action games with high production values) in middle of the PS3 generation with Uncharted 2, and really cemented themselves as an industry leader in that genre with The Last of Us.

What we're seeing now is Sony WWS consolidating their resources around what they do best while allocating less to other ventures. There will still be off the wall projects here and there for variety's sake and Japan Studio will most likely keep doing its own thing, but I feel a lot of their games from now will adopt the Naughty Dog template, potentially applying it to other genres as well. There's already a very recent example of this with the new God of War.

The rest of their budget will probably go towards the funding of third-party developed exclusives (Bloodborne) and marketing/exclusive deals with the big third-party series (GTA, FIFA, CoD, FF, etc...).

sublimit

Banned
I only cared about one kart racer and that was Modnation Racers.Too bad United Front are no more but maybe Sony San Diego could develop a new MR for PS4.

Wasn't that what HD/Fury were in the first place? They couldn't even make one freaking original game for the PS3, it was just a remake of some tracks from the PSP. I loved the game but they really shit the bed when it came to a decent output.
Yup. Though I loved HD/Fury, they were essentially a port of the PSP games. And...here they come again. Excitement.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm really surprised Sony hasn't used the success of the PS4 to push harder for some new exclusives and revived IP... You would think they'd have the funds to put together some new teams for this stuff. Seems like investing in new games would have been a better bet than a PS4Pro... but I guess that's just me.

D i Z

Bloodborne - zombies
Until dawn - zombies

Leaving...

Knack
Resogun
Tearaway

What am I missing?

LOL

Top Bottom