• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Shotgun and Chainsawing DOOM Appreciation thread

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Diablohead said:
It's the one classic doom I have never played, forgive me.

Lots of people tend to sleep on Final Doom, for various reasons. I love both episodes, because of the unique level design and brutal, ass-crushing difficulty. They're high-quality levels, perhaps not as high as Doom or Doom II, but noteworthy nonetheless.

Especially the Plutonia experiment, you need cheats to survive that episode on ultra-violence

My first experince with Doom was in primary school and it was awesome. I had played Wolf3d before that though.

In 8th grade we spent some time between lessons playing Doom 2 online

Stackboy

I bought the ID pack a year or so back when it was on special on steam and bought doom 1 and 2 on XBLA. From time to time I play them and it's nice to know that good games will always be good games and some secrets you never forget.

Zeliard

I played so many Doom mods and add-ons, but I have this strange memory I can't quite place of playing some version of Doom that featured various midi songs, most memorably Smells Like Teen Spirit. I'm thinking it was part of Final Doom but I'm not sure.

Mar

DOOM 1 and 2 are classic games that still play better than most FPS of today. Load up DOOM on XBLA and you'll see what I mean. It hasn't lost any of its original appeal.

DOOM 3 gets a lot of hate but I wonder if it's because most of those people played the inferior console ports. They had content missing for god's sake. DOOM 3 on PC is still my favourite single player FPS of all time. It scared the bejesus out of me. It did go on for a few too many levels though, it should have ended at Hell.

Can't wait for DOOM 4.

Sciz

DrFunk said:
Guys

Guys

Thoughts on Final Doom (TNT Levels and The Plutonia Experiment)

GO
Fun, but hard as nails. I need to go back through it sometime.

Mar said:
DOOM 3 gets a lot of hate but I wonder if it's because most of those people played the inferior console ports. They had content missing for god's sake. DOOM 3 on PC is still my favourite single player FPS of all time. It scared the bejesus out of me. It did go on for a few too many levels though, it should have ended at Hell.
Heh. I've actually seen people who prefer the Xbox version, claiming that the cut content resulted in a better-paced game.

Zeliard

Sciz said:
Heh. I've actually seen people who prefer the Xbox version, claiming that the cut content resulted in a better-paced game.

Also known as the "high resolution makes the game look sterile" argument.

Ranger X

Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom.

Some of my favorite FPS ever. Still trounce most the stuff made today imo.

Darkatomz

Man... probably one of the games back in the day which turned me into the gamer I am today. Ultimate DooM, DooM 2, Final DooM... Still think I own the original discs for DooM and DooM 2 for the PC somewhere. If not the discs, then the floppies :lol

Don't know how they would do it, but I'm really hoping that iD goes back to the roots for the 4th installment.

ntropy

i first played doom64. i remember i had to position my right hand over the controller as if it were palming it so i can hit the left shoulder to strafe left. that hidden level at the end was pretty tricky.

i could have played doom on pc-dos but i chose dukenukem3d. :D
doom is better

brain_stew said:
Oh, for those that don't know, someone went to the trouble of recreating Doom 64 for the PC and they did a fantastic job. Really well worth checking out.
yes! it's called Absolution (i think). i highly recommend it as the level designs are well done.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Darkatomz said:
Don't know how they would do it, but I'm really hoping that iD goes back to the roots for the 4th installment.

Even though I love D3, I totally agree with this.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Yeah, I loved Doom on the PC. However, I played it on an old Packard Bell 386sx-33, and I never had any friends to play it with - it was strictly a single player experience.

Then when I worked at Funcoland (I know, I'm really dating myself), I learned about the joy of Final Doom for the Playstation.

2 PSXs
2 TVs
2 copies of the game
1 PSX link cable

MAXIMUM profit.

It was amazing. I would play co-op with my coworker on Ultra-Violence for hours. It is THE reason why I like co-op in console games. We then found out about the joys of Ridge Racer Rev. and Command and Conquer, but that's a different thread altogether.

PetriP-TNT said:
Sort of related, but I was looking Id Tech 1 page and saw on Id Tech 2 page that Resident Evil 2 uses Quake engine
I heard that in the weird questions thread, it seems off to me but possible, I always thought RE2 just used an upgraded RE1 engine which was custom built, I think.

Doom will always remain in the minds of a generation. It was the cornerstone for 3D games that remains even today. Where would level design, architecture, or pacing be without Doom's influence?

Even today, thanks to an almost endless supply of source ports (God bless Carmack!), it's available for anyone. It even has an active modding community, churning out additions even to this day! Not to mention active multiplayer thanks to Skulltag.

Honestly, if you've never played a Doom game before, you owe it to yourself to play it. It is as immortal as Mario, and a thousand times more thrilling.

G-Fex

LqlE6.jpg

Look at this motherfucker.

All the demons and monsters are like "Rawr we're going to scare you and shit" and this guy is like "GET FUCKED AND DIE BITCH"

So fucking manly.

Dudebro wishes he was that fucking manly.

^ You are huge! That means you have huge guts! Rip and tear!

Who actually beat the end boss of Doom 2 legitimately? I'd always noclip that s.o.b. I did always play on ultra violence though. Who's head was it supposed to be on the spike? Can't remember.

Raide

First memory was playing Shareware Doom on PC via a home-made parallel cable. After a few hours punching the crap out of friends, the cable shorted and blew out the motherboard, CPU and killed my HDD. :lol

I hope Doom 4 goes back to the hellish horrors, feindish traps and throwing loads of monsters at you. :D

Air Zombie Meat said:
^ You are huge! That means you have huge guts! Rip and tear!

Who actually beat the end boss of Doom 2 legitimately? I'd always noclip that s.o.b. I did always play on ultra violence though. Who's head was it supposed to be on the spike? Can't remember.

John Romero's I think.

The clipping cheat was the only way to see the head. :lol

ChazAshley

Gold Member
G-Fex said:
LqlE6.jpg

Look at this motherfucker.

All the demons and monsters are like "Rawr we're going to scare you and shit" and this guy is like "GET FUCKED AND DIE BITCH"

So fucking manly.

Dudebro wishes he was that fucking manly.

:lol the lost soul is looking at his friend exclaiming, "omg... Johnny!"

and I still play Doom on Xbx every so often. Speed running through the first episode with your shotgun is so satisfying. I need to get Doom 2 someday.

Raide

ChazAshley said:
:lol the lost soul is looking at his friend exclaiming, "omg... Johnny!"

and I still play Doom on Xbx every so often. Speed running through the first episode with your shotgun is so satisfying. I need to get Doom 2 someday.

If you love Doom, the XBLA version of Doom 2 is awesome. Especially the new episode. It is bad ass. :lol

Raide said:
First memory was playing Shareware Doom on PC via a home-made parallel cable. After a few hours punching the crap out of friends, the cable shorted and blew out the motherboard, CPU and killed my HDD. :lol

I hope Doom 4 goes back to the hellish horrors, feindish traps and throwing loads of monsters at you. :D

John Romero's I think.

The clipping cheat was the only way to see the head. :lol

Ah, I thought so. I seem to remember that the final boss said something that was actually Romeros voice played backwards too.

randomwab

PetriP-TNT said:
Sort of related, but I was looking Id Tech 1 page and saw on Id Tech 2 page that Resident Evil 2 uses Quake engine

The PC port made by Gearbox used the Quake engine as a basis. The only other version to use this version was the Dreamcast port, which was basically just the PC version. All other versions were built on different engines.

Diablohead said:
Yeah I love the ps1 port, friend owned it and it was the first time I had played the full doom experience outside the PC shareware stuff, a shame that soundtrack was not on the xbla version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC2FTuwLawo

It's still damn epic today...

This guy knows what's going on. I first played Doom on Playstation. When I replayed it years later on PC, the lack of ambient music and superior sound effects made me sad. I wonder if there's a mod for jDoom to add that stuff back in.

EmSeta

randomwab said:
The PC port made by Gearbox used the Quake engine as a basis. The only other version to use this version was the Dreamcast port, which was basically just the PC version. All other versions were built on different engines.

This guy knows what's going on. I first played Doom on Playstation. When I replayed it years later on PC, the lack of ambient music and superior sound effects made me sad. I wonder if there's a mod for jDoom to add that stuff back in.
There is.

Actually, I highly recommend everyone to replay Doom 1/2 with modern mods. It makes the games look and sound pretty damn amazing actually, and the fantastic gameplay is the same (plus true 3d movement and mouselook).

I replayed them a few years ago, and enjoyed it immensely. Now I kinda feel like doing it again.

okno

I've been playing Final Doom for my first time recently, on ultra-violence, and have managed to get nearly to the end of the first level... after about two weeks of on and off playing. Game is hard as shit, but soooo fun. Love me some Doom.

randomwab said:

What the devil, really ? Learn something new everyday.

Gattsu25

Banned
zDoom is king. Keeps the original look. Adds full mouselook and support for WASD/EDSF controls. 16:10 aspect ratio support. Blisteringly fast 60FPS action even on netbooks. Support for high resolutions (my monitor goes up to 1680*1050). Supports autorun. Best version of Doom there ever was is the original and it is made even better by modernized mouse+keyboard controls.

From an udder thread
Gattsu25 said:

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I've been playing Doom 64 for the first time all week. Pretty damn good--had no idea they redesigned the classic enemies and that maps were all new. And PSX Final Doom was indeed incredible. Interestingly, it's infinitely harder than Doom 64, even with the latter on hardest difficulty. Gotta peep zDoom in a bit as well--going to hook up my laptop to my Sammy and scare myself silly. In many ways, the isolation and sparse sound of the Doom series reminds me of exactly what makes the Metroid series so great. Mood and fear and tension. The feeling that you are all alone in this messed up world. Timeless stuff.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hmm. gzdoom has open gl and all sorts of texture filters going on. Interesting. Gonna experiment to find a good mix of pure old school and cleaned up pixels if possible. Well, my night is set.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well zdoom and gzdoom both support the 360 pad which is what I'm using. I think the default pad setting has it set up for dual analog movement and strafing. I tweaked the buttons but that's about it. Normally I would do mouse/kb but I'm playing on my 46" Sammy and am sitting on the sofa.

Gravijah

bob_arctor said:
Well zdoom and gzdoom both support the 360 pad which is what I'm using. I think the default pad setting has it set up for dual analog movement and strafing. I tweaked the buttons but that's about it. Normally I would do mouse/kb but I'm playing on my 46" Sammy and am sitting on the sofa.

Awesome, now I gotta find my DOOM disc...

So yeah, how did the coop for the DoomII XBLA port turn out?
Relatively smooth or what? Been really itching to play it again.
Complete bullshit that I can't redownload my copy of DooM1 on XBLA, due to living in Germany now (>__<)

Thread is wonderous by the way.
I still remeber going to a computer convention located in a Holiday-Inn back in '94 or whatever. They had the DooM shareware running and of course it blew me away.
My dad would eventually DLed it for me off the BBS and the rest is history :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So is there a console command or any other way to display FPS in both zdoom and gzdoom? The latter definitely chugs a bit for me even with all texture enhancements off.

Edit: so zdoom is locked at 62fps with no dips while gzdoom starts at a max of 148fps and fluctuates wildly from there, dipping as "low" as 97fps. No idea why. Is there a fps_max command where I can just lock it at 60fps?

Edit again: ah, found the console command to lock it at 35fps--which is how it should be. 60fps is too fast and you lose that Doom feel.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just a random aside, though it's kinda related: just discovered eduke32. Same thing as gzdoom more or less but with Duke Nukem. Good stuff. It would be awesome if I could find a modern update for Powerslave....

Top Bottom