• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Shotgun and Chainsawing DOOM Appreciation thread

G-Fex

That's right we're here to appreciate and chat about the legendary series. Inspired by my other thread and recent replaying and getting the sickness from it.

DOOM

THE GOOD

6YRqg.jpg

w9Nio.jpg

Osq3Y.gif

672wy.jpg

V8mmT.jpg
(aka the Real Doom 3)

THE GOOD TOO Cause of whiny posters
5WdiU.jpg

THE LULZ
wgqJI.jpg

My first experience with this awesome series is it's start on consoles in

slrts.jpg

It blew my mind even though I found out years later that it's a bad port. None the less the difficulty of it for me since I've never played such a game and the fact I was bad at guiding myself through the maze (thank god I didn't play wolfenstein 3D around this time or I would've gotten a serious headache.)

None the less playing it later on the PSX was really something great. I found out what I was missing from the SNES port. I really got a little better at it then and I was blown away about how deep and how action packed the game was. It's one of a kind fast paced memorable and heck it's even scary to this day I dread running into a hell baron or cacodemon.

I didn't like 3 too much because it really took out all fast paced action, rock soundtrack and traded it in for a survival horror FPS. The game isn't terrible or terribly made but I don't like it. To me my DOOM 3 is Doom 64 , it took the Doom formula and put it on a new slate. I loved the weapons, the weapon designs and the maps and music. I love Doom and it's series, it's a shame that some if not MOST FPS's now a day lack that speed and adrenaline rush and smoothness of it (not too smooth lest we forget doom sickness). But I mean it's obvious why they don't make sprite based FPS's anymore.

So who else loves this? CMON!

Heres videos of dudes of Video Games Awesome enjoying this classic on x-box 360 4-player co-op

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjM7420xuIk&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhLQmV5mUE8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5EB90GfzM&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govbfdxsips&feature=channel

Doom 1 and 2 are amazing, played them multiple times (but not always finishing them as a lot of that time was on shareware) and I also like doom 3 enough to own it on pc and xbox back in the day, good entertaining games.

I have never played doom 64 but would like to one day.

The doom movie is good in a cheesy way, I own it anyway :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DOOM IS AWESOME!!!

IDDQD 4 LYFE!

John

The only good part of the Doom movie was when it went into first-person for a few minutes and shit went down

thefil

Don't forget:

image-5E6C_4C698802.jpg

My first DOOM (in memory, I may have played one when I was a kid on a cousin's machine). I'm really enjoying it so far. Great game tailor-made for iPhone.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Doom 3 under "bad" invalidates the entire thread. A noble endeavor, but next time just leave D3 out of it. It was a great game on it's own.

Hey, I thought I was the only person in the world who liked Doom 64. Excellent game. And sure it may look a little foolish now, but at the time that opening battle on the doom 64 logo was the shit :lol

I'd agree with Doom 3 not being bad, though. Sure it was predictable, and you needed duct tape, and the monster was always behind you, but it was still a cool game and I had more fun with it than most of the cookie cutter (motherfucker) fps's of this generation.

G-Fex

luka said:
Doom 3 under "bad" invalidates the entire thread. A noble endeavor, but next time just leave D3 out of it. It was a great game on it's own.

serious post is serious.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I always focus on the demon in the right bottom corner when I see the poster cause it always makes me laugh. He's like "Oh, hi! :)"

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Adam J. said:
I first played Doom on 32X. That is as ghetto as it gets.

Right here. No BFG, missing levels and animation, and a crash bug that leaves you to a DOS prompt.

On a console.

I remember my cousin first showing me DOOM on his PC when I was 9 or 10. From that moment on I loved the series. Trying vainly to get Final Doom to run on my old Mac is one of my funnier gaming memories. You could say the alphabet between frames-per-second. :lol

John

I haven't installed my new Doom games that I got the other day yet, but are there 16:9 patches for any of them?

Chavelo

KK, story time...

I had my trusty N64 on 24/7 playing Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Mario Kart 64, and Donkey Kong 64 when my mother brought in (from her old folks facility job) an old PC with windows 3.1 on it, I think... Or was it Windows 95? Yeah, Win95. The DOOM franchise might be the reason I turned to the PC Master Race back when I was about 11 or 12 years old...

Being my first actual Windows PC (had a iMac G3 hooked up to the free monthly AOL service on my room doing shit on GameFAQs, and before that an Apple II with education games loaded), I really didn't know what the hell I could do with this... I found the pinball game a week later, so about 40 hours of my life went there trying to outscore my sisters.

Then, feeling bored after school, I logged on and explored the C:\ drive's content, just to see what this used computer had laying around inside. Apparently, the previous owner forgot to erase the contents of the drive, and then... DOOM happened.

Now, I was your stereotypical kid that grew up with games and a few friends, and a mother that really didn't care about violent stuff back in the day. So when she saw me getting freaked out in the middle of the night when she went to the bathroom, she just told me to be more quiet and head to bed in a few minutes. Seriously, that game probably scarred my life pretty badly.

But the gameplay! Holy shit, I never played anything more fun that running around with a chainsaw and having a field day on the marine zombies. Yeah, I might have crapped my pants every other day, but DAMN IT, this made me drop any outside time I had just to try to beat the Cyberdemon on the secret stage.

Ah, the good ol' days...

Then THPS2 happened. :p

(Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 appreciation thread, pwease? XD)

I was a big Apogee fan back in the day, played a ton of shareware and sent off to the US many a time for full versions of games from them and others such as the original Duke Nukems, Wolfenstein, Blake Stone, Crystal Caves, Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, etc but when I finally got my hands on Doom I was addicted like never before - I loved the style, the music and, most of all, the fantastically precise gameplay. I would obsessively click on every wall, trying to get 100% secrets on every level and the game consumed months and months of my gaming. It's one of those games I played so much that every level is ingrained upon my memory. The only fault I can lay at Doom's feet is that it's awesomeness eclipsed Apogee's fantastic Rise of the Triad, easily the most underrated member of the early FPS family. I've got the whole Doom collection installed on my HDD and still play them from time to time, and will do so on every machine I own thanks to the majesty of Steam. Doom is fucking timeless.

No_Style

This could be nostalgia clouding the mind, but I love how Doom I & II can still stand the test of time.

Doom III? Not so much...

This could be said with all sprite based games though...

Victrix

*beard*
It's not nostalgia, at least for me - pull out one of the modern engines and try playing Doom/2 and a good custom map pack

It's still just as fast and playable as it ever was, and the shotgun still feels great

John said:
I haven't installed my new Doom games that I got the other day yet, but are there 16:9 patches for any of them?
I think zDoom will do that for 1 and 2 (and most other things using the engine).

But you should be using zDoom anyway.

Adam J.

Reading this stuff really makes me wish that id would make some kind of Doom remake for the digital marketplace. Cant decide what would look better, Polygon or HD, super detailed sprites.

Steam sales FTW :D Anyway, I've been playing quite a lot of Doom today, and it's surprising how it olds up. It's simple and fun. Replaying it makes me realise how stupid devs are when they make FPS on Wii, DS or PSP. Instead of making simples games with their own rules, they try to make FPS with tons of features like FPS on PC and HD consoles, which results in unplayable shit.

Anyway, I highly recommend people to play Doom with Chocolate Doom it's some kind of launcher to make it easier to play with modern configs. There are tons of other nice launcher like that, but Chocolate Doom don't use ridiculous fancy lighting or high res modes that makes the visuals ridiculous, it's as faithful to the original Doom experience as possible :D

Ashodin

Danne-Danger said:
I think zDoom will do that for 1 and 2 (and most other things using the engine).

But you should be using zDoom anyway.
Running zDoom on a laptop hooked up to your giant-ass plasma tv = WIN

G-Fex

luka said:
Doom3 hate is a serious matter. :\

Get with the times Pops.

Re-read the OP, I said I don't like 3, 3 isn't badly made or bad I just don't like it so putting it under the Bad category is sort of a joke. Not so serious..:\

Rctdaemon

Hell yes! Doom was the first computer game I ever played and I still love it. :D There are a lot of great WADs out there for anyone who is looking to get more out of the game. Some of my personal favorites are Eternal Doom, Icarus, Daedalus, and Hell Revealed.

If anyone ever wondered about the invincibility code (IDDQD):
Delta Q Delta was the name of a fraternity that one of id's employees was a member of and their mantra was if you cannot pass a class, drop it. Hence why invincibility was called "degreelessness" mode.

DrFunk said:
Right here. No BFG, missing levels and animation, and a crash bug that leaves you to a DOS prompt.

On a console.
There definitely is the BFG in the 32X version. Not sure if you could find it in game, but the all weapons cheat gave you that gun (cheat code = up+a+c+mode - WHY DO I REMEMBER THIS SHIT BUT NOT MY FATHER'S BIRTHDAY?!?!?).

Diablohead said:
I need to look up a video of that bug, sounds awesome :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrly78-LR24

That was so dumb. I remember exchanging my copy in the shop (Rumbelows - old school style) because of this bug but it turned out it was in every version. Such shoddy programming.

I pretty much bought a 32X for Doom. Not the smartest of decisions but the game blew my mind nonetheless. Been playing it an awful lot on my PSP lately, it still holds up.

ZDoom is the way to go on PC these days. The Steam version works with it just fine. :D

I really hate to "go there" but to me, the old Dooms represent a time when FPS gaming was fun. More arcadey, less realism, less taking things seriously, and more doing things more "for the fun of it" (Barrels o' Fun, a level with nothing but exploding barrrels for fun... or some of the colorful commentary like "You found a chainsaw! Yeah! Now go find some meat!")

I really do like Doom (though I was a Duke 3D fanboy) and it kinda made me sad to see Doom 3 to be more serious and story-based.

Drkirby said:
Oh god, don't tell me we are going to start anther wave of these appreciation topics.
Appreciation topics are fine, as long as they have some substance. Not just a lot of pictures of games and calling it an appreciation thread. I'd say this is a fine thread.

Another thing worth mentioning is the sheer amount of user generated content that was made for Doom. I didn't have the internet at the time but PC Zone used to put hundreds of levels and mods on their cover disks which I lapped up. It was also fairly easy to make your own levels. Doom is the only game I ever made levels for and was actually quite proud of them.

Also the times when my friends and I would hook up for LAN deathmatches are some of my fondest gaming memories. Good times.

Why would you do that? said:
I really hate to "go there" but to me, the old Dooms represent a time when FPS gaming was fun. More arcadey, less realism, less taking things seriously, and more doing things more "for the fun of it" (Barrels o' Fun, a level with nothing but exploding barrrels for fun... or some of the colorful commentary like "You found a chainsaw! Yeah! Now go find some meat!")

I really do like Doom (though I was a Duke 3D fanboy) and it kinda made me sad to see Doom 3 to be more serious and story-based.

I agree with this. I just finished playing through Duke Nukem 3D and it's a real shame that they don't make FPS like this any more.

Although I do love Doom 3.

Oh, for those that don't know, someone went to the trouble of recreating Doom 64 for the PC and they did a fantastic job. Really well worth checking out.

wackojackosnose said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrly78-LR24

That was so dumb. I remember exchanging my copy in the shop (Rumbelows - old school style) because of this bug but it turned out it was in every version. Such shoddy programming.
It's quite funny to see the prompt come up after the credits :lol also the music conversion sounds so bad in the videos I have been watching, quickest official port of doom ever?

G-Fex

I'm going to get the doom collection off steam and is there a place to get mod or whatever to make my own levels?

epmode

iconoclast said:
I agree with this. I just finished playing through Duke Nukem 3D and it's a real shame that they don't make FPS like this any more.
It's been said before but since you didn't mention it, look into grabbing the Serious Sam HD remakes. Because they're AWESOME and fun and awesome and not really corridor shooters but still awesome and rad.

Top Bottom